Im gonna ask the question: Is Nashville elite now?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
They picked up some significant players via free agency, but will they be really good this season?

Where do you see them going? Playoffs? 2 rounds? Cup Final?

What do you think?

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Screenshot_20240811_161817_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240811_161825_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: byrath

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think so. They made the playoffs this year but they would not have made it this upcoming season if they didn't make additions. I do love their additions but those players aren't elite (with Stamkos it's just the age issue). Imo they are a playoff team but won't finish top 3 in the Central

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
5 years ago, it would've been a cup contender. Today, I think it's putting a lot of weight on guys close to their mid 30's who aren't at the top of their games. Seems like a 2nd round/WCF team to me. But the central is pretty rough, and one really good team will be bounced in the first round.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I think they’ll catch fire and have a similar season to Vancouver last year, they’ll be the surprise in the West.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
On paper, I think they definitely are and in reality, could be. They've got great depth up front...FF9 is probably the most unsung star in the game. Novak is going to pile up assists with the new winger rotation. They run 14-15 guys deep with the likes of Tomasino and Glass not listed and even if they are dealt - there are some high-end and seemingly ready prospects in Milwaukee like L'Heureux and Svechkov who may challenge for ice time. They've had a great AHL development going on in Milwaukee for several years...don't underestimate how that can quickly plug holes and create depth and ready-made prospects. Milwaukee has been one of the best teams in the AHL for like 4 years now and really none of the big-name additions have come at the cost of those top prospects.

Skjei is a huge addition to that blueline - if he plays like he did last year, I like the swap of McDonagh for him from a stylistic standpoint and offering Josi some two-way help. Stastney is a sneaky solid youngster and they have some nice options like Del Gaizo, Blaneknburg and perhaps the rising Ufko for depth. I definitely wouldn't say their defensive core outside Josi is near the top of the league but they've got a lot of simply "solid" guys.

Saros-Wedgewood-Askarov is as good of a trio as you'll find in net. I'm not gonna focus too much on the down metrics for Jaros last year...if you really think he's fallen off badly, then yes, that's a big hurdle for this team. But I see no reason to drop him from the "elite" category of starter...even the best have some down years mixed in.

It's an older group but it's not like witheringly old and the deep and talented prospect pool remains untouched. There's lots of pedigree and moxy in the locker room. Most importantly, I think this is a team with depth at all three levels which I think is underrated in terms of getting through a season with a high seed. I know there is always backlash to the teams that make big splashes in free agency and it is easy to say "well, they overpaid for a bunch of 'names' that are aging.". But I LOVE the urgency the Preds have shown...too many teams waffle in purgatory and the Preds were on the verge of being in that zone. But they picked a lane and decided to throw it all in...and I kinda love it.

I think they are going to very formidable out West, even if they aren't sexy.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Doesn't really look like an "elite" lineup. Maybe closer to elite if we just look at the name brands within it.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
They'll make the playoffs for sure, but I don't see them better than Colorado and Edmonton at the very least

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
They're not elite yet until their young depth matures a bit. But I'll tell you, I really like their future, they draft very well and have a very solid group of prospects.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Honestly they could be extremely good or just good, very high ceiling and floor. It's just hard to tell because of the fact they are older and all the outside guys they brought in.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
From the outside looking in, they seem like a frustrating team to follow. I’ve looked through their last four seasons and one thing they are consistent at is never putting together two halves of the same season at a high level.

Some of these offseason moves have been nice, but something about them makes me think they’ll tread water and end up in about the same position as they have been for awhile, i.e. bottom 2 seed. Saros needs to be better and their 30+ crowd needs to remain healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad