9. Slovakia (0)
10. Latvia (0)
11. Denmark (0)
12. Norway (0)
13. Austria (+3)
14. France (-1)
15. Kazakhstan (0)
16. Belarus (-2)
Czechia, Switzerland and USA are all tied at 3945 points, they're ranked on how they finished the tournament

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They automatically get bronze medal points every year, so if Canada does worse than that next year then Russia may take the lead and potentially be treated as the number one team in hockey should they return.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The actual 2024 IIHF World Ranking:

1. Canada (0)
2. Russia (+1)
3. Finland (-1)
4. Czechia (+4)
5. Switzerland (+2)
6. United States (-2)
7. Sweden (-1)
8. Germany (-3)
9. Slovakia (0)
10. Latvia (0)
11. Denmark (0)
12. Norway (0)
13. Austria (+3)
14. France (-1)
15. Kazakhstan (0)
16. Belarus (-2)
Russia.

whatever-forget-it.gif

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
How the heck does Russia go up spots on the rankings without even taking part in the games?

Right?

They automatically get bronze medal points every year, so if Canada does worse than that next year then Russia may take the lead and potentially be treated as the number one team in hockey should they return.

Who the F came up with that idea? Why are they getting bronze medal points?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Russian posters were right.. matter of time till Russia is number 1 again.

It's not the worst thing that can happen to Russian hockey. Much worse if we get back to international tournaments while Russian NT is still being ruled by Rotenberg. I'm afraid Rotenberg will last much longer than sanctions...

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It's not the worst thing that can happen to Russian hockey. Much worse if we get back to international tournaments while Russian NT is still being ruled by Rotenberg. I'm afraid Rotenberg will last much longer than sanctions...
Can you tell me a bit about Rotenberg? I don't really know a thing about him? Isn't he on the Russian federation? Is he your Hadamczak?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Would be funny if Russia is #1 in rankings next year without playing.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Right?

Who the F came up with that idea? Why are they getting bronze medal points?

Because that was Russia’s point total before being banned.
So, while banned, the country receiving that same amount of points every year.
Stagnant. No more, no less.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Because that was Russia’s point total before being banned.
So, while banned, the country receiving that same amount of points every year.
Stagnant. No more, no less.
That will eventually lead to them being #1. Averaging better then bronze is almost impossible, so noone will gain on them. They should get 0 points or the amount for finishing last in top division

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That will eventually lead to them being #1. Averaging better then bronze is almost impossible, so noone will gain on them. They should get 0 points or the amount for finishing last in top division
I'm a HUGE fan of the Skodas so keep that in mind.

However, I've always hated the IIHF rankings. They have always been ridiciulous.

I'm actually hoping, a year from now, that US is still at 7 and Russia is at 1 just to expose how ridiculous these rankings are.lol

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Can you tell me a bit about Rotenberg? I don't really know a thing about him? Isn't he on the Russian federation? Is he your Hadamczak?
Rotenberg's father is one of the most powerful and wealthy people in Russia. He is also a childhood friend of President. What Roman Rotenberg wants, he usually gets. Right now he decided that he is a coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Rotenberg is a son of a billonaire and Putin's close friend (or rather close friend AND billionaire because the latter followed the former). As far as I understand he grew up in Finland and played junior hockey there. He never was a professional hockey player. He started his career in the KHL as a vice-president of SKA. Then he became an assitant coach and then head coach of SKA.

Nice career...

• Haha
Reactions: EK47 and Czechboy

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Didn’t Rotenberg act as coach of St Petersburg at some point without much actual high level ice hockey background? I might be remembering it wrong.

EDIT: I see another poster explained it here so apologies for the superfluous post.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Didn’t Rotenberg act as coach of St Petersburg at some point without much actual high level ice hockey background? I might be remembering it wrong.

EDIT: I see another poster explained it here so apologies for the superfluous post.
Wait! Now I remember the name. I think he's the one posters were blaming for Michkov's development???? FTR... I think Michkov is amazing and this isn't a slight on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00