Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
I find it funny nobody minded handing Panarin 15% of our salary cap in 2020, but Igor now wants that, the guy who year after year is our best playoff performer, and now they are up in arms.

How about getting rid of Panarin who no shows anyway in the playoffs to pay for the guy who DOES show up in the playoffs? Or we can just get rid of Igor, get some average goalie, and have them pull an Anderson and give up 3 softies in a single playoff game.
Goalie versus elite forward. Not comparable, you need elite forwards to win, you do not need an elite G.

Paying him 13 million will severely cripple the franchise for almost a decade.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
we should have learned when Hank took up most of the cap. Can’t give goalies that much. Money needs to be used for a better team in front of him so that the goalie does not need to make tons of incredible saves. It’s time to move him if he won’t settle for a much cheaper contract

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Shesterkin will be turning 30 when that new contract kicks in. Who are your top 3 goalies?
In no order top 4 are Shestorkin, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Demko

Goalie versus elite forward. Not comparable, you need elite forwards to win, you do not need an elite G.

Paying him 13 million will severely cripple the franchise for almost a decade.
But yet, our Elite forward is nowhere to be found in the playoffs, and our elite goalie is?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky

But yet, our Elite forward is nowhere to be found in the playoffs, and our elite goalie is?
Your elite G didn't steal 1 game versus the Panthers. Bobrovsky pitched a shutout. Was Shest the best goalie in the playoffs overall until the Rangers were eliminated? Yup. Is he probably the best goalie in the league? Yup. Doesn't matter if you can't carry your team to a 'Cup. It's Lundqvist all over again. Giving him 13 mil will be a massive mistake, they tried this before and it didn't work. Elite goaltending is a luxury.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
he's hands down been our best player the 3 past playoffs runs. I don't think it's even close.

Would I pay him 13M? obviously not.... but something around 9M might be palatable

Reactions: leetch99

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

But why are you pretending people would sign Panarin to the hypothetical $12-13M AAV Shesterkin wants? After this playoffs I’d imagine most people would prefer he wasn’t on the team anymore.

Reactions: Shadowtron

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

5. The gulp may be even larger than you imagine with The Post having been told that Shesterkin’s camp is aiming for a contract under which the goaltender would start with 14 percent of the cap, which would equate to a netminding record of $12.9M under an expected $92M cap for 2025-26.
Goodbye Igor.

he's hands down been our best player the 3 past playoffs runs. I don't think it's even close.

Would I pay him 13M? obviously not.... but something around 9M might be palatable
8.5! I’m digging in if I’m Drury.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
People are going to be for a wakeup call if Igor goes and you see what it's like to have average goaltending again that is costing the team games left and right.

Actually you won't have to worry because Drury isn't a moron and isn't trading away our best player.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
And Igor is a top 3 goalie so I'm not sure why people expect him to get low balled, 8M offers are ridiculous.

Should we give him 13M? No, but if we can compromise on around 10M-10.5 then I'm pretty sure Drury will sign that relatively quickly.

Saaros is like a top 5-7 goalie and just got 7.75. 8-9 is not unreasonable for a top 3 goalie.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
There is also no income tax in Tennessee. So that's basically a 10M contract had he signed it in NY.
Yeah, for the ten thousandth time, no, that’s not a $10m contract. The tax issue is not that drastic. You are talking maybe a 5% markup. If that.

7.75 x 1.05 = 8.135

On what planet would taxes mean you have to inflate by 30%? (7.75 x 1.3 = 10.07)

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, for the ten thousandth time, no, that’s not a $10m contract. The tax issue is not that drastic. You are talking maybe a 5% markup. If that.

7.75 x 1.05 = 8.135

On what planet would taxes mean you have to inflate by 30%? (7.75 x 1.3 = 10.07)
You should look up what NY State income tax is on someone making 10M.

It;s almost 1M, and over 8 years that is 8M. So yea, there is a huge difference, even if you fail to see it.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
You should look up what NY State income tax is on someone making 10M.

It;s almost 1M, and over 8 years that is 8M. So yea, there is a huge difference, even if you fail to see it.
But he doesn’t get taxed on $10m made with NY state tax.

You fail to understand how the players are taxed on their income. If it was all taxed at NYC state and local tax you’d be correct, but it isn’t, so you aren’t.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
But he doesn’t get taxed on $10m made with NY state tax.
Correct, overall the tax amount he would owe NY over 10M is around 750K a season, 6M over 8 years.

In Nashville a 10M contract he would owe around 275K 2.2M

Almost 4M difference. It's still something.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Correct, overall the tax amount he would owe NY over 10M is around 750K a season, 6M over 8 years.

In Nashville a 10M contract he would owe around 275K 2.2M

Almost 4M difference. It's still something.
But we are talking about a 7.75 contract, not a 10m contract. Like 25% less. Now we are down to a $3m difference.

Ok, so that’s why I said 8.5.

0.75 more over 8 years is nearly $6m more income. He’s coming out ahead. He doesn’t need $10m. $8.5m is very fair.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
But we are talking about a 7.75 contract, not a 10m contract. Like 25% less. Now we are down to a $3m difference.

Ok, so that’s why I said 8.5.

0.75 more over 8 years is nearly $6m more income.
I was just using the 10M number because that is what I believe will be the low number on a contract with Igor.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
12.9? Haha.

No.

Trade him for a haul, and get a goalie that stops a little more than 9 out of 10 shots that come his way.

9.9. And I'm feeling really generous right now.. And it only goes down from there.
We just saw two pretty good goalies traded in the last two weeks. One of them even had two years left on his deal. What they fetched was peanuts.

Shesty is the best goalie in the league, but goalies just don't fetch "a haul". He is not an exception, especially if the team acquiring him would be staring down at 12+ mil deal as well.

Reactions: Ail

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I was just using the 10M number because that is what I believe will be the low number on a contract with Igor.
Yes but I’m saying $7.75 is a fair-ish deal. The tax markup on that is like $375k a year. Another half million to a million because he’s better. No more than $9m.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
People are going to be for a wakeup call if Igor goes and you see what it's like to have average goaltending again that is costing the team games left and right.

Actually you won't have to worry because Drury isn't a moron and isn't trading away our best player.
We had elite level goaltending for almost 15 seasons with Henrik... and they still didn't win it all. What make you think now will be any different with a goalie that's not as good as Hank, or as durable?

Better hope Quick or whatever backup they get in the future is lights out... because the extra workload won't suit little Igor.

I'll say this... He's most likely going to be signed, because all this organization wants is $$$ playoff revenue. I don't believe they have what it takes to build a SC winner in front of a Brouder and Lundqvist in the net at the same time!

So strap in for years of mediocrity... more 3rd round and even more 2nd and first round exits.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We had elite level goaltending for almost 15 seasons with Henrik... and they still didn't win it all. What make you think now will be any different with a goalie that's not as good as Hank, or as durable?

Better hope Quick or whatever backup they get in the future is lights out... because the extra workload won't suit little Igor.

I'll say this... He's most likely going to be signed, because all this organization wants is $$$ playoff revenue. I don't believe they have what it takes to build a SC winner in front of a Brouder and Lundqvist in the net at the same time!

So strap in for years of mediocrity... more 3rd round and even more 2nd and first round exits.
There are 32 teams in the league, the cup is extremely hard to win, even with a great team. It happens. If our elite forwards showed up things could be different.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
There are 32 teams in the league, the cup is extremely hard to win, even with a great team. It happens. If our elite forwards showed up things could be different.
agreed. i'm not absolving this top 6 at all. but from what we've seen over the years.. you need a strong bottom six with role players that also chip in offense and shut things down when needed.

You need talent in your bottom 6 as well! it costs $, and that's near an impossibility with so much $ dedicated to so few positions.

We also see that there are defensive liabilities on this team as well.

Sitting on on 1 goal leads, getting hemmed in our end for minutes at a time, hoping to "steal the game"... I've really had enough of that.

There are no easy answers.. but i really dread them going down this route again.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
agreed. i'm not absolving this top 6 at all. but from what we've seen over the years.. you need a strong bottom six with role players that also chip in offense and shut things down when needed.

You need talent in your bottom 6 as well! it costs $, and that's near an impossibility with so much $ dedicated to so few positions.

We also see that there are defensive liabilities on this team as well.

Sitting on on 1 goal leads, getting hemmed in our end for minutes at a time, hoping to "steal the game"... I've really had enough of that.

There are no easy answers.. but i really dread them going down this route again.
Fair enough, guess i’m just taking the stance that the grass isnt always greener on the other side (not signing him, to spend money on other things and signing an average goalie that could really let us down in the playoffs)

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
No one is paying a goalie 13 mil. No f'n way. Anything over 9.5 is dumb. Maybe he can get an extra mill or 2 on the open market, but that's about it. Does he really want to handcuff this team for the rest of his career? Him and his agent can F off.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And Igor is a top 3 goalie so I'm not sure why people expect him to get low balled, 8M offers are ridiculous.

Should we give him 13M? No, but if we can compromise on around 10M-10.5 then I'm pretty sure Drury will sign that relatively quickly.

Being a top 3 goalie is not the same as being top 3 as a skater. Goaltending is not as important as skaters. Especially C and D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad