Line Combos: If you are the GM, What are you doing?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I trade Stastny for a cap dump with a year or two left (50 percent retained) to New Jersey or another eastern team who has a good chance to sign him.

Reason 1: even an older bottom pairing guy who was overpaid at 4M wouldn't be terrible for two years at 2M. The Avs won't have cap trouble anytime soon. Taking away a cap dump type player means New Jersey has more resources to sign Stastny and keep him out of the West

Reason 2: keeps him away from the Blues or Anaheim.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I actually thought about making a similar thread. I'll go with the Kulemin & Grabovski multi-package (Bye Stastny...), and a trade for Wiercioch instead of Kulikov.

- Sign O'Reilly at 6M AAV for as long as possible
- Sign Barrie for 3M AAV bridge deal : 2.75 yr1 + 3.25 yr2

- Trade : Stastny's rights + McGinn + Elliott + Pickard for Kesler

- Trade : Parenteau + Wilson + 23rd O/A to Ottawa for Patrick Wiercioch + 40th O/A (They do this because they need players under control for cheap, and do not have a 1st round pick. They decide to keep Spezza, and lost Hemsky. PA is a cost controlled replacement for the play-making ability lost in Hemsky. I think trading with a team who is going to have a hard time convincing free-agents to sign there is the best way to get the most value out of Parenteau IMO.

- Draft Brendan Lemieux @ #40 O/A
- Sign Kulemin (3.5M) & Grabovski (4M) for a combined 7M
- Sign Markov @ 6M AAV : 6.5M yr1, 6.0M yr2, 5.5M yr3
- Sign Zach Redmond : I pass on Greene, and go younger/cheaper signing Redmond

FORWARDS
Ryan O'Reilly ($6.000m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($0.925m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.000m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.800m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m)
Marc-Andre Cliche ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($6.000m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($3.000m)
Patrick Wiercioch ($2.000m) / Zach Redmond ($0.900m)
Nick Holden ($0.600m) / Nate Guenin ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($5.900m)
Reto Berra ($1.450m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,296,429; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,803,571
------

I want Stastny to return, but I have a bad feeling about it TBH... So in this forward group we have a Power forward on each of the lines, Kesler, Landeskog, Kulemin, with a very strong shutdown third line that can score as well. There is good depth there as Kulemin & Graboski can move into top 6 roles if/when injuries hit.

That defense is just awesome.... I'd love to see what our coaching staff can do with a smart smooth skating big guy like Wiercioch, hes got a good point shot as well.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have the same feeling that we dangling McGinn for D, but the concern I have with that is we are going to lack size up front in the top 9. Outside Landy we don't have any players willing to throw around their bodies. If we trade him we need to add size upfront

I hope they can move PAP instead for the reasons you mentioned but if they do trade McGinn I'm confident Roy will add some size and grit to replace him in the top 9.

If he knows they need to do this anyway as he's alluded to, I doubt he moves Ginner without replacing his muscle going into next season. I hope anyway.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Greg Sherman?

Making Starbucks runs, picking up Roy's dry cleaning, caddying for Sakic, walking Kroenke's bulldogs...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Greg Sherman?

Making Starbucks runs, picking up Roy's dry cleaning, caddying for Sakic, walking Kroenke's bulldogs...

Seems like the type of guy who wouldn't let anyone near his dog.

JKroenke_Arnie1112_1.jpg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
:cry:

Will you guys stop with suggesting that we should start the next season with Hejda on the first pairing again?:banghead:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
TBH, its the most realistic option.

That means that the team will not improve and we'll have to fight hard for a playoff spot, even if (and that's a big if) Varly has another Vezina-worthy season.

I don't see the AVS repeating all those "winning by one goal" games and miraculous comebacks next year so working hard on improving the defense is the key to remain competitive. Having one-year-older Hedja still on the first pairing isn't a good start, to say the least.

I might be pessimistic here but can you imagine this team without Stastny, without last season's miracles and getting a "normal" season from Varly? All that with virtually the same ol' D?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That means that the team will not improve and we'll have to fight hard for a playoff spot, even if (and that's a big if) Varly has another Vezina-worthy season.

I don't see the AVS repeating all those "winning by one goal" games and miraculous comebacks next year so working hard on improving the defense is the key to remain competitive. Having one-year-older Hedja still on the first pairing isn't a good start, to say the least.

I might be pessimistic here but can you imagine this team without Stastny, without last season's miracles and getting a "normal" season from Varly? All that with virtually the same ol' D?

That's Roy for you...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

The Avs were fortunate in some areas, yeah I'll agree there. Especially with injuries right up until the end. I still don't understand why winning one goal games is bad, that's what good teams do. In baseball the teams with a lot of saves are the elite ones. And they had no miracle comebacks until the last month of the season because I beat the drum all season that they couldn't come back from a 2 goal deficit. A lot of that is blog chatter. Do we even know what a "normal" season from Varly is? I don't expect him to get nominated for the Vezina every year, no and it's unlikely he'll stay injury free forever but there is a lot about this team we simply just don't know. Their up and down nature over the course of the last 5 or so years makes it even more difficult.

But back to the point at hand, it's hard for me personally to state hopes and dreams because it's irrelevant what I think, I try to think more of what the team is going to do and deduce from there. I do think that Roy hasn't got the roster he wants yet and is going to tinker. As I've said before anyone he and Sakic haven't directly drafted/signed/traded for is probably fair game. But on the other hand I feel like those hoping for big changes are going to be disappointed. If they can get one solid addition to the top 4 D through any means it will be an improvement. I do believe they want to build a true contender but making quick expensive fixes is not their MO at all. It's not that I dont think they'll make any changes, it's just that top pairing guys are very difficult to find. I dont think it's very likely they bring one in.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still don't understand why winning one goal games is bad

It's not, but winning while getting dominated is unsustainable and it happened quite a lot last year. Roy pulled a few tricks from his sleeves but you sure can't rely on such intangibles. Everything went the AVS way last season and not even the most hardcore fans can deny that.

The team has been more or less exposed in the playoffs: 7 games against the Wild and they didn't take control of a game once. Not once! Meanwhile, the Wild regularly made them look like an AHL'ers. It was the Wild BTW, not L.A.

Can't wait until we start to compare ourselves with the best instead of comparing ourselves with the team that drafted MacKinnon.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was at game 2, they had control of that entire game. I guess it's pretty lucky the AHLers were 3 minutes away from winning the series. Not everything was due to fortune but it's easy just to explain everything with good luck. no doubt they need to improve in certain areas and they will. I'd love to be a contender tomorrow too.

All I was really trying to say is they won't bring in a #1 defenseman. Hey if they do I'll gladly be wrong. I understand some people want to hold out hope, that's fine too.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The team has been more or less exposed in the playoffs: 7 games against the Wild and they didn't take control of a game once. Not once! Meanwhile, the Wild regularly made them look like an AHL'ers. It was the Wild BTW, not L.A.

Just a false statement. While the Wild definitely deserved to win the series, Colorado had all of the momentum coming into Game 3.

Call it "exposed" or whatever you want to, but the bottom line is the Avs probably played a little over their head in the regular season and came into the post-season devoid of playoff experience.

Add in that they were missing key personnel throughout most of the series, and it's not a huge shocker that they couldn't close it out.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I was at game 2, they had control of that entire game.

It was by far their best game but they still managed to get outshot and Varly got the 2nd star of that game. So that's not exactly a dominating performance (see Wild in game #3 and #4 for a definition of domination).

Just a false statement.

No it's not.

Add in that they were missing key personnel throughout most of the series, and it's not a huge shocker that they couldn't close it out.

It's not the fact that they lost, it's how they lost and how they won most of the season, including the playoffs. The defense sucks and Hedja can't start on the first pairing, period (not saying he won't, but I find it a bit worrying that most people here are OK with that).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Seems like the type of guy who wouldn't let anyone near his dog.

JKroenke_Arnie1112_1.jpg

I was suspicious of Sherm getting the GM post ahead of the more qualified and smarter Craig Billington.

I guess Sherm might have been a placeholder for Eric Lacroix during what was expected to be some lean years, who they could scapegoat once the team accumulated some lottery picks.

Fortunately it looks like we get to keep Billington around due to him always working well with Roy.

I could see Sherman getting the Brian Xanders treatment soon and the GM sport more or less be a triumvirate between Roy, Sakic and Biller.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
No it's not.

It's not the fact that they lost, it's how they lost and how they won most of the season, including the playoffs. The defense sucks and Hedja can't start on the first pairing, period (not saying he won't, but I find it a bit worrying that most people here are OK with that).

Yes it is.

They were missing their first and third line center for the majority of the series, along with dynamic OFD Tyson Barrie due to a cheap shot.

Colorado's defense is obviously the worst part of the team, but your faulting Jan Hejda? The guy was playing with two broken fingers and a pin in the thumb of his shooting hand the whole series.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They were missing their first and third line center for the majority of the series, along with dynamic OFD Tyson Barrie due to a cheap shot.

It was no different when these 3 were there during the season. AVS rarely had control of the games despite their outstanding record. Even Roy admitted that the puck was "rolling for us" last season. This isn't going to happen all the time and you should know that.

Colorado's defense is obviously the worst part of the team, but your faulting Jan Hejda? The guy was playing with two broken fingers and a pin in the thumb of his shooting hand the whole series.

I'm not blaming Hejda one bit. He had a career year last season (not including the playoffs since he was injured). Hejda would be perfect on the second pairing with Barrie (ideally he'd be on the 3rd pairing but that's asking a bit much).

Expecting him to play 25+ min a game with EJ while he's turning 36 next week isn't a good idea, that's all I'm saying.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It was no different when these 3 were there during the season. AVS rarely had control of the games despite their outstanding record. Even Roy admitted that the puck was "rolling for us" last season. This isn't going to happen all the time and you should know that.

Colorado got hammered in Games 3-7 by the Wild. They had no attack from the back end and very little forecheck, largely due to the absence of some combination of these three players.

Even though they gave up a lot of shots in the regular season, they weren't playing on their heels. You don't win 52 times if the other team is constantly dictating the pace.

I'm not blaming Hejda one bit. He had a career year last season (not including the playoffs since he was injured). Hejda would be perfect on the second pairing with Barrie (ideally he'd be on the 3rd pairing but that's asking a bit much).

Expecting him to play 25+ min a game with EJ while he's turning 36 next week isn't a good idea, that's all I'm saying.

Hejda's ATOI (22:19) ranked 51st in the league this season. That was still a lot of ice time, but Roy didn't grind all of the tread off of the tire. He still has some quality hockey left in him.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
On another note, count me in to the Nick Holden fan club.

I'll eat my words later if I have to, but this guy is potential Top-4 quality. He played big minutes in the playoffs and was one of Colorado's most poised players with the puck on his stick - you knew he wasn't going to panic and make a mistake.

His offense was also clutch - 3/1 in 7 playoff games and 10/25 in 54 regular season games. I won't be surprised if his 2014-2015 season ice time is more similar to his 2013-2014 post-season ice time (22:09) than his regular season ice time (18:40).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
On another note, count me in to the Nick Holden fan club.

I'll eat my words later if I have to, but this guy is potential Top-4 quality. He played big minutes in the playoffs and was one of Colorado's most poised players with the puck on his stick - you knew he wasn't going to panic and make a mistake.

His offense was also clutch - 3/1 in 7 playoff games and 10/25 in 54 regular season games. I won't be surprised if his 2014-2015 season ice time is more similar to his 2013-2014 post-season ice time (22:09) than his regular season ice time (18:40).

There is one (maybe two) caveat to that IMO... His skating absolutely has to improve this off-season, and he has to show the 'same decision making' he did in the playoffs.

If he does/shows those two things in camp he'll lock down a top 4 stop IMO.

Often times guys can get 'in the zone' during the playoffs and then never repeat it.

With all this said.... Holden 'can' get there IMO. He has most of the tools with his size and physicality. If he can continue to develop defensively and improve his skating, he has a higher ceiling than hes being given credit for. Others will pass him very quickly if he can't show sustainability and improvement in those two areas.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
There is one (maybe two) caveat to that IMO... His skating absolutely has to improve this off-season, and he has to show the 'same decision making' he did in the playoffs.

If he does/shows those two things in camp he'll lock down a top 4 stop IMO.

Often times guys can get 'in the zone' during the playoffs and then never repeat it.

With all this said.... Holden 'can' get there IMO. He has most of the tools with his size and physicality. If he can continue to develop defensively and improve his skating, he has a higher ceiling than hes being given credit for. Others will pass him very quickly if he can't show sustainability and improvement in those two areas.

His skating does need work but I'm optimistic about his post-season play translating into the future. I hope I'm right because he could fill a big need going forward.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I like Holden too...but not in the top 4 with a weak #2. Can't have EJ-Hejda and Holden-Barrie as your top 4.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
1st) trade PaP for a solid bottom 6 forward, depth defensive Dman with less cap hit, or picks and prospects.

2nd) explore trades for a top 4 dman involving players like Elliot, 2014 1st, Hishon, ect. but probably dont find anything I like. Trade 1 of Pickard or Atti for a 2nd for any team that would do it.

3rd) sign one of Stralman, Fayne or Greene.

4th) Look to sign a better bottom 6 player who can play PK like Boyle or a 4th liner like Komarov.

5th) Try and sign Radulov from KHL (assuming that PA has been traded).

6th) If Stastny will take 5.75m$ or less on what ever term he wants and can NTC he can stay, if not let him go. Resign RoR for 5.9m for 8 years. Barrie 2 years for 3.75 bridge. Mcginn for 3m for 2-4 years. Resign Holden for 2m on a 2 year deal. Sign any other RFA's to average value deals.

If any teams wanted Wilson he could be had for a low pick or project prospect.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad