If the NHL put all current players in a pool, do any current Kings players get picked in the first three rounds?

doug93003

Apr 27, 2024
I had a conversation with a couple friends, both Boston fans yesterday and this came up. The question was tougher than I thought. My first thought was Kopitar, who is still one of the best two way centers in the league when you consider all the intangibles he brings.....but it was pointed out that this is a draft and generally you are drafting for talent and potential because the other qualities aren't weighted as much at this point.

It's tough. Since Dave Taylor took over he has disrupted the development of players with dumb trades and FA signings without much thought given to team cohesion....or even just made bad trades using young players. I'm certain that some players would have developed beyond where they are today had there been a better structure in place. That said I think the answer is no.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I had a conversation with a couple friends, both Boston fans yesterday and this came up. The question was tougher than I thought. My first thought was Kopitar, who is still one of the best two way centers in the league when you consider all the intangibles he brings.....but it was pointed out that this is a draft and generally you are drafting for talent and potential because the other qualities aren't weighted as much at this point.

It's tough. Since Dave Taylor took over he has disrupted the development of players with dumb trades and FA signings without much thought given to team cohesion....or even just made bad trades using young players. I'm certain that some players would have developed beyond where they are today had there been a better structure in place. That said I think the answer is no.

Do you mean Rob Blake? Taylor hasn't been GM in almost 20 years.

To answer your question. If its like a regular draft where every team gets a pick, so 1-32, and the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, I think its highly unlikely that not a single Kings player wouldn't get picked over 90ish picks. Kopitar and Doughty bring Veteran leadership and Stanley Cup winning experience who are still quality players, Kempe and Fiala are dynamic point producers, and Byfield is a young player on the verge of breaking out. There's no way that none of these of these guys don't get picked.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Is it just for one season or is it a franchise draft kind of deal, where you can keep building long term?

If it's to win right now maybe Kopitar and/or Doughty gets picked at the very end. If it's long term Byfield might gets picked based on raw his potential.

Three rounds isn't a whole lot. We're talking about the best of the best in all positions, plus the most promising prospects. I would have to take a good long look at all the options before I can say that a Kings player is definitely getting picked.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Like others said, it depends,

Doughty is getting picked, (assuming all players are healthy etc)
Kopitar might be a later pick at this stage
Kempe is getting picked
Fiala is getting picked
Byfield is getting picked,

That's about it unless a club takes a flier on Clarke.....but I don't see that happening.

Reactions: David Lunch

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Ya its a little abstract but you are basically on a top 100 -4.

There have been many of these published in the last 2 months.

The big news was that the Kings didn't have one player in many of them.

So it's old news except basically except you are asking these guys here.

Mostly you will get the vocal negative majority sounding off and only a few guys taking the opposite side.

The real discourse here has been greatly extinguished by the vocal majority for old time posters here, but not for me.

I like taking the opposite viewpoint.

It is sad that many old time guys and others won't even bother posting because the little club here has ruined it for them.

As for me , bring it , Key Club!

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
FWIW, looking at NHL.com's Fantasy hockey top 200 player rankings, and assuming top 100 is approximately equal to the top 3 rounds, we have, as of October 6:

50. Adrian Kempe
71. Kevin Fiala
89. Anze Kopitar
92. Trevor Moore

And then:

154. Quinton Byfield
155. Darcy Kuempar
199. Brandt Clarke

Trevor Moore wouldn't actually be drafted in the top 100 in the real world, though, because he got completely taken out of the equation in the playoffs.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
How many players in a league? If it’s 32 GMs, then yea. Kempe, Fiala, and Byfield are all guys who could conceivably go in a top 90’ish class.

If it’s a 6 dude Yahoo league, then zero chance if none are Kings fans.

doug93003

Apr 27, 2024
What era are you living in bud? Dave Taylor???
Rob Blake, Dave Taylor...whats the difference.

Kempe is a perfect 2nd line winger on a top team. Tough 30/40 goal scorer, resposible on his one end with a great cap hit
Are you drafting 2nd line wingers in the first three rounds? I'm going goalie, defensemen and two centers before looking at 2nd line wingers.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Do you mean Rob Blake? Taylor hasn't been GM in almost 20 years.
Same same? If it looks like a mouse, makes suspect trades, and just wants to make the playoffs, the name doesn't matter.
Rob Blake, Dave Taylor...whats the difference.
These are incredible points. We went from a GM who thought outside the box and won us two cups and reverted to a former player who had the same philosophy as the former player who won 1 playoff round in eight seasons

`Rob Blake is currently sitting at 0 playoff rounds in 7 seasons

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Come on, it's semantics, but calling a gritty two way 40 goal scorer on a sweetheart cap hit a '2nd line winger' is just pissing on his value just to satisfy the thread.

Kempe is literally 1st line ability/value on any team in the league, if he's not on that line it's for chemistry, not aptitude.

Drew Doughty is still a top end all situations dman too.

Can easily make a case for Fiala or Byfield as well.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It's insane that Lombardi was fired for

1728664967064.png

Let's look at the history of each LA Kings GM. One was a victim of his own success.

1728664890345.png

If Bluc were held to the "high expectations" in the statement above, they would have already been fired.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
These are incredible points. We went from a GM who thought outside the box and won us two cups and reverted to a former player who had the same philosophy as the former player who won 1 playoff round in eight seasons

`Rob Blake is currently sitting at 0 playoff rounds in 7 seasons

The dude had literal boxes on a board he was trying to fill. Wasn't Purcell in one of those at some point? Unless you mean taking chances on injured players, any outside the box moves DL made were the bad ones. Or out of desperation(Sutter(his buddy), or Carter), because the contender we were promised in the summer of 2011 was not on the ice before the 2012 deadline, when the Kings were outside of the playoff picture.

That same GM thought investing in the team post-Voynov(without replacing Vpynov) was a good idea. The Lucic deal being close to the PLD deal, and the Richards deal was this close to being just as bad. If Carter doesn't cry his way out of Columbus, he's not a King for Jack freakin' Johnson, and if he's not, that 11-12 team nay very well have missed the playoffs completely,(their record was no better under Sutter than Murray that year up to that point), or they go out in the 1st since they couldn't score. Richards still breaks down though. That was only a matter of time.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The dude had literal boxes on a board he was trying to fill. Wasn't Purcell in one of those at some point? Unless you mean taking chances on injured players, any outside the box moves DL made were the bad ones. Or out of desperation(Sutter(his buddy), or Carter), because the contender we were promised in the summer of 2011 was not on the ice before the 2012 deadline, when the Kings were outside of the playoff picture.

That same GM thought investing in the team post-Voynov(without replacing Vpynov) was a good idea. The Lucic deal being close to the PLD deal, and the Richards deal was this close to being just as bad. If Carter doesn't cry his way out of Columbus, he's not a King for Jack freakin' Johnson, and if he's not, that 11-12 team nay very well have missed the playoffs completely,(their record was no better under Sutter than Murray that year up to that point), or they go out in the 1st since they couldn't score. Richards still breaks down though. That was only a matter of time.
You never tire of losing this argument, don't you?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

We will never know all the details on moves he made after the cups were won. There have been many a rumor that AEG was pushing HARD for a 3rd cup. We all have bosses (except @Johnny Utah ) and we at times have to implement their bad decisions

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You never tire of losing this argument, don't you?

Sorry, which part of pre-deadline 11-12 said contender to you? As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. Feb 23, 2012, 10th in the West, 17th overall, negative goal differential, worst offense in the league. Blind taste test, are those the numbers of a contender?

We will never know all the details on moves he made after the cups were won. There have been many a rumor that AEG was pushing HARD for a 3rd cup. We all have bosses (except @Johnny Utah ) and we at times have to implement their bad decisions

So, failing to win another Cup is on AEG for pushing too hard win, but the two Cups are because of DL's brilliance? Who picked Hickey 4th? Who passed on Karlsson? Who gave Cloutier an extension? The Richards trade that put the Kings on the contender map, was that not a hard push? If it was, did AEG want that? Or did DL want to jump the process before the team ever won a 1st rd series with a non-true Cup core? Most of which he didn't draft, to his credit.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Sorry, which part of pre-deadline 11-12 said contender to you? As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. Feb 23, 2012, 10th in the West, 17th overall, negative goal differential, worst offense in the league. Blind taste test, are those the numbers of a contender?

So, failing to win another Cup is on AEG for pushing too hard win, but the two Cups are because of DL's brilliance? Who picked Hickey 4th? Who passed on Karlsson? Who gave Cloutier an extension? The Richards trade that put the Kings on the contender map, was that not a hard push? If it was, did AEG want that? Or did DL want to jump the process before the team ever won a 1st rd series with a non-true Cup core? Most of which he didn't draft, to his credit.
I highlighted the most important part of my post that you chose to ignore.
We do know that AEG pushed HARD for Brad Richards, so hard that TL flew to Richards' agent's office
We do know that AEG pushed HARD for Kovaluchuk 1.0 , so hard that they offered his wife a recording contract.
There is abundant smoke, connect the dots.

As far as cherry picking the draft picks, the Lombardi era was FAR AND AWAY the most successful era of Kings hockey, sure it wasn't perfect but no other GM has even come close

This chart speaks for itself
1728677262142.png

Last edited:

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

I know being contrarian is your thing and all but saying the Lucic deal is “close” to the PLD one is hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad