If the NHL put all current players in a pool, do any current Kings players get picked in the first three rounds?

doug93003

Apr 27, 2024
I had a conversation with a couple friends, both Boston fans yesterday and this came up. The question was tougher than I thought. My first thought was Kopitar, who is still one of the best two way centers in the league when you consider all the intangibles he brings.....but it was pointed out that this is a draft and generally you are drafting for talent and potential because the other qualities aren't weighted as much at this point.

It's tough. Since Dave Taylor took over he has disrupted the development of players with dumb trades and FA signings without much thought given to team cohesion....or even just made bad trades using young players. I'm certain that some players would have developed beyond where they are today had there been a better structure in place. That said I think the answer is no.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I had a conversation with a couple friends, both Boston fans yesterday and this came up. The question was tougher than I thought. My first thought was Kopitar, who is still one of the best two way centers in the league when you consider all the intangibles he brings.....but it was pointed out that this is a draft and generally you are drafting for talent and potential because the other qualities aren't weighted as much at this point.

It's tough. Since Dave Taylor took over he has disrupted the development of players with dumb trades and FA signings without much thought given to team cohesion....or even just made bad trades using young players. I'm certain that some players would have developed beyond where they are today had there been a better structure in place. That said I think the answer is no.

Do you mean Rob Blake? Taylor hasn't been GM in almost 20 years.

To answer your question. If its like a regular draft where every team gets a pick, so 1-32, and the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, I think its highly unlikely that not a single Kings player wouldn't get picked over 90ish picks. Kopitar and Doughty bring Veteran leadership and Stanley Cup winning experience who are still quality players, Kempe and Fiala are dynamic point producers, and Byfield is a young player on the verge of breaking out. There's no way that none of these of these guys don't get picked.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Is it just for one season or is it a franchise draft kind of deal, where you can keep building long term?

If it's to win right now maybe Kopitar and/or Doughty gets picked at the very end. If it's long term Byfield might gets picked based on raw his potential.

Three rounds isn't a whole lot. We're talking about the best of the best in all positions, plus the most promising prospects. I would have to take a good long look at all the options before I can say that a Kings player is definitely getting picked.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Like others said, it depends,

Doughty is getting picked, (assuming all players are healthy etc)
Kopitar might be a later pick at this stage
Kempe is getting picked
Fiala is getting picked
Byfield is getting picked,

That's about it unless a club takes a flier on Clarke.....but I don't see that happening.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Ya its a little abstract but you are basically on a top 100 -4.

There have been many of these published in the last 2 months.

The big news was that the Kings didn't have one player in many of them.

So it's old news except basically except you are asking these guys here.

Mostly you will get the vocal negative majority sounding off and only a few guys taking the opposite side.

The real discourse here has been greatly extinguished by the vocal majority for old time posters here, but not for me.

I like taking the opposite viewpoint.

It is sad that many old time guys and others won't even bother posting because the little club here has ruined it for them.

As for me , bring it , Key Club!

• Haha
Reactions: BaileyFan

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
FWIW, looking at NHL.com's Fantasy hockey top 200 player rankings, and assuming top 100 is approximately equal to the top 3 rounds, we have, as of October 6:

50. Adrian Kempe
71. Kevin Fiala
89. Anze Kopitar
92. Trevor Moore

And then:

154. Quinton Byfield
155. Darcy Kuempar
199. Brandt Clarke

Trevor Moore wouldn't actually be drafted in the top 100 in the real world, though, because he got completely taken out of the equation in the playoffs.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
How many players in a league? If it’s 32 GMs, then yea. Kempe, Fiala, and Byfield are all guys who could conceivably go in a top 90’ish class.

If it’s a 6 dude Yahoo league, then zero chance if none are Kings fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad