If Matthews doesn't step up his game soon, he's at risk of becomming the modern day Jean Beliveau...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
To OP.

Leafs have never won 3 round of playoffs. Make a thread about that

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
He's like a white Larry Bird
As a Celtics fan let me add this:

kots-straal.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What Matthews needs to do ala centers like Steve Yzerman and Mike Modano is find a second gear in the playoffs. He's already one of the best goal scorers in NHL history.

Yep. Nobody’s asking him to score at ~1.5 PPG like Draisaitl and McDavid, or even ~1.3 PPG like MacKinnon and Rantanen, but he should be able to be around a PPG like Point or Pastrnak. Not competing with guys like Kempe and Kadri. His regular season results are fantastic, regardless of what he does on the PK

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
So right now Auston Matthews has scored 368 career goals in the NHL, but not a single one of them has been a short handed goal. It's really uncommon to have scored as much goals as Matthews has without scoring at least 1 short handed goal. All the great goal scorers have at least some short handed goals, from Ovechkin, Stamkos and Bure to Jagr, Selanne and Hull, they all have scored short handed goals. The player with the most goals and no short handed goals is Jean Beliveau, who is the only player with 500+ goals and no short handed goals. Matthews will surpass 400 career goals this season, but he's already entering his 9th season in the NHL and those short handed goals are going to get harder and harder to score as he ages.

I don't know about you, but I would rather see Auston Matthews in the Ovechkin, Bure, Selanne, Hull tier, than the Jean Beliveau, Daniel Sedin, Jeff Skinner tier. Will Matthews be able to score a short handed goal during his career? Or is he destined to become the modern day Jean Beliveau and become only the 2nd 500+ goal scorer who's unable to score a single short handed goal during his career?

Please tell me you're in a drunken stupour...

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
So right now Auston Matthews has scored 368 career goals in the NHL, but not a single one of them has been a short handed goal. It's really uncommon to have scored as much goals as Matthews has without scoring at least 1 short handed goal. All the great goal scorers have at least some short handed goals, from Ovechkin, Stamkos and Bure to Jagr, Selanne and Hull, they all have scored short handed goals. The player with the most goals and no short handed goals is Jean Beliveau, who is the only player with 500+ goals and no short handed goals. Matthews will surpass 400 career goals this season, but he's already entering his 9th season in the NHL and those short handed goals are going to get harder and harder to score as he ages.

I don't know about you, but I would rather see Auston Matthews in the Ovechkin, Bure, Selanne, Hull tier, than the Jean Beliveau, Daniel Sedin, Jeff Skinner tier. Will Matthews be able to score a short handed goal during his career? Or is he destined to become the modern day Jean Beliveau and become only the 2nd 500+ goal scorer who's unable to score a single short handed goal during his career?
Are you seriously suggesting it is an insult to Matthews to be mentioned in the same breath as a 2 time Hart winner as league MVP, 1 time Ross winner as scoring champion, 6 time 1st team NHL all-star center and 4 time 2nd team NHL all-star who played in 13 all-star games and was on 10 Stanley Cup winners?

Would I be correct to infer that you were not a hockey fan during Beliveau's career as a player?

Are seriously suggesting using Matthews on penalty kill would be a sensible use of his energy and ice time?

Last edited:

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
why is there so much hate for this topic?

it is a good comparison Matthews and Beliveau actually have similar drip:

1727294704260.jpeg

1727294776255.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad