IF Levshunov is available at #5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

take Levshunov?

• Yes take Levshunov and trade one of Reinbacher/Mailloux

• Yes take Levshunov and keep Reinbacher/Mailloux

• No, take Iginla or Catton (or another forward not named Demidov/Lindstrom)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Highly unlikely both reach top 4? What?

Reinbacher is a surefire top 4 dman. A 2-way dman with great size and skating drafted top 5 who was playing 20 min a night in a good pro league as a teenager is a safe as it gets in regards to projecting a top 4 nhl dman.

Mailloux isn't guaranteed, but odds are pretty good he can be a top 4 dman considering his talent and the impressive season he just had as a rookie in the ahl. His weakness is his defense, and a lot of that can be mitigated by playing with a strong defensive partner in Guhle.
It's very rare both prospects hit their potential. If Levshunov is available, don't think you skip him just because the apparent need is up front.

Reactions: themilosh

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Well you shouldn't pass up BPA for needs since players can be traded ala romanov, there is also nothing wrong piling up big and talented top end right handed defenseman.

If Levshunov falls, I'd be tempted to draft him if I was the gm and complete a trade for a young top-6 forward for mailloux as a core piece for a trade. I feel hutson or mailloux has to be traded somewhere down the road as there is only one spot on the first powerplay.

With that being said, after celebrini, the top end prospects are pretty close, it's really hard to paint a clear picture of what is going to happen after. I'll admit last year's top-4 was nightmarish for the habs. I expect the top-4 to be levshunov, celibrini, lindstrom and demidov to ruin my draft day once again.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well you shouldn't pass up BPA for needs since players can be traded ala romanov, there is also nothing wrong piling up big and talented top end right handed defenseman.

If Levshunov falls, I'd be tempted to draft him if I was the gm and complete a trade for a young top-6 forward for mailloux as a core piece for a trade. I feel hutson or mailloux has to be traded somewhere down the road as there is only one spot on the first powerplay.

With that being said, after celebrini, the top end prospects are pretty close, it's really hard to paint a clear picture of what is going to happen after. I'll admit last year's top-4 was nightmarish for the habs. I expect the top-4 to be levshunov, celibrini, lindstrom and demidov to ruin my draft day once again.
After 2 NHL games for Hutson and 1 for Mailloux you feel that one if them needs to be traded down the road? Maybe we should give them more of a look first?

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Down the road means if the deal is right and from today to within a reasonable amount of time and if we draft Levshunov. That is a lot of IFs. There is no hurry for me. No problem in giving them a look first. I think with the logjam of the defense, it will be interesting to see which one stays and which one goes.

I think it will be fun to see Hughes play with his relative position of strenght here.

Reactions: themilosh

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs could get quite a nugget from teams looking to trade up for Levshunov. Ottawa be good. He would make great partner with Sanderson. Habs could use the return to acquire Necas. Habs end up with Necas and Ignila with the 5th pick

Reactions: malcb33

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs could get quite a nugget from teams looking to trade up for Levshunov. Ottawa be good. He would make great partner with Sanderson. Habs could use the return to acquire Necas. Habs end up with Necas and Ignila with the 5th pick
I am still trying to figure out what is so special about Necas...I don't think he moves the needle as many think.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Unlikely, but IF Levshunov is available at #5, but Demidov and Lindstrom are gone.... do you take him and trade later Reinbacher or Mailloux (RHD) for a young top 6?

I dont think it would be crazy since Lev has the higher ceiling, potentially being a franchise Dman which essentially all Cups winners possess.

Nothing against Reinbacher or Mailloux, I love both, but trading for a more established (and proven) top 6 player may be more beneficial than taking an 18 year old like Iginla or Catton possibly.
I agree that Levshunov could be that stud D (like a weber) if he is indeed 18 lol... Assuming he is, of course you draft the guy at #5. However I disagree that he is "more" established than Reinbacher (at the same age). rn Rainmkr is clearly way ahead of Levshunov (in his D+1).

But passing on Levshunov for Iginla or Catton is insane, and thankfully Hugo would never do that. The idea of having a top 4 D containing:
Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Levshunov

is quite possibly the strongest youth D corps Ive seen in over 40 years. Mailloux, while still a legit top 4D (barring injury or regression) could easily fetch us a top 6 forward when ready, or (even) trading a Reinbacher/Levshunov in a few years for a 1C would be wild seeing Suzuki headlining a the 2nd line. Loving the direction this team is taking.

You draft him and start the timer to see how long it takes Grant McCagg to change his mind on his evaluation on the player.
people are so critical of Grant, I quite like the guy. He seems pretty down to earth, and is by far the only reason I will tune in to a Sick Podcast.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
If Dickinson is available at 5 and we skip on him, there is a good chance the talking heads will have topics on the subject in a few years wondering why the team let him drop to another team in order to pick a lesser player instead. When one of them will bring up the perceived logjam that was there at the time, it will be with a slight smile on his face since he will now know that the logjam wasn't that much of a logjam at all afterall. Everyone will think it was a silly reason to skip on him.

I say pick that guy. He will be a great player. We need great players.

Forwards will play better with that guy behind them.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
You draft him and keep Reinbacher. Having Levshunov puts Guhle back where he belongs on the left side.

Guhle Levshunov
Hutson Reinbacher
Xhekaj Mailloux

Is sexy AF. Big, fast, skilled. Hutson would be perfectly surrounded.

This ain't happening, there's not a chance the habs are passing on Demidov if available for a D, not after last year.

Habs want a forward, but under the scenario laid out in the OP, they should take Levshunov.
Yeah, that D would be sexy and deadly.

However, I'm not a huge fan at passing over elite talent on offense. We've had a lot of very good forward but it seems we're always short on Elite talent.

Trading down i'd be going for Seneke.
I'm not sold on Mailloux as a top pairing dman....I do hope he proves me wrong on this.
We may be surprized by Reinbacher and Hutson play meshing and generating a safe clean agressive pair that push the play forward and keeps the play on the O zone. I really feel this could be a solid 1st pair in 2-3 years.

Mailloux is projected as 3-4, he's really progressing well, seems dedicated and having fun. He could be more than a 4th. Feeling of a young Petry... i like Mailloux. You need a guy for each role. He'd be a great 4th on a good team.

In a year or 2 we may be very happy with a balanced

Hutson Reinbacher
Ghule Mailloux
Xhekaj Konyuskov

I would'nt miss the chance to pick a forward of the type we might not be able to pry from other teams later.

Demidov, Iginla, Senneke? Trade-down 2-4 spots? I'd love to be lucky and get a Mathew Thatchuk with the habs :)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's very rare both prospects hit their potential. If Levshunov is available, don't think you skip him just because the apparent need is up front.

Just becoming a top 4 isn't reaching their potential. Both Mailloux and Reinbacher have top pairing upside.

• Haha
Reactions: MasterMatt25

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I am still trying to figure out what is so special about Necas...I don't think he moves the needle as many think.

In the right age range, he's a gifted passer and has a shot that can score between 20-30, versatile and can play center and wing, creative player on the powerplay, really smooth skater.

There's the idea that the north south, shoot at all costs, intense forechecking system of Carolina actually holds him back from a production standpoint. 71 points just a year ago.

Reactions: Wats

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
In the right age range, he's a gifted passer and has a shot that can score between 20-30, versatile and can play center and wing, creative player on the powerplay, really smooth skater.

There's the idea that the north south, shoot at all costs, intense forechecking system of Carolina actually holds him back from a production standpoint. 71 points just a year ago.
Hands down Czechia's best player in the quarters and the semi's at the Worlds.
My only fear is that the Necas we would be getting.
He's certainly explosive and would be an asset on zone entry something we struggle to find consistency at.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, that D would be sexy and deadly.

However, I'm not a huge fan at passing over elite talent on offense. We've had a lot of very good forward but it seems we're always short on Elite talent.

Trading down i'd be going for Seneke.
We may be surprized by Reinbacher and Hutson play meshing and generating a safe clean agressive pair that push the play forward and keeps the play on the O zone. I really feel this could be a solid 1st pair in 2-3 years.

Mailloux is projected as 3-4, he's really progressing well, seems dedicated and having fun. He could be more than a 4th. Feeling of a young Petry... i like Mailloux. You need a guy for each role. He'd be a great 4th on a good team.

In a year or 2 we may be very happy with a balanced

Hutson Reinbacher
Ghule Mailloux
Xhekaj Konyuskov

I would'nt miss the chance to pick a forward of the type we might not be able to pry from other teams later.

Demidov, Iginla, Senneke? Trade-down 2-4 spots? I'd love to be lucky and get a Mathew Thatchuk with the habs :)

Kucherov, Matthew Tkachuk, or Jarome Iginla all sound good to me.

Reactions: NewDef

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
1) I'd pick up Dickinson if available. If we get Dickinson, i'd trade Xekhaj + Wpg 1st for a young top 6 forward
2) If not, i'd trade 5th to the best offer inside top 10 and then, pick up the best forward available with the pick.

Last edited:

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

If thats the top 4, then we can take Dickinson/Silayev at 5.. drafting him allows us to "see" which of Hutson/Mailloux/jackeye can be traded for a top 6 F to target.

Id use other draft picks and "mesar" type prospects in a bundle with WPG pick to move up and grab the F they want #12.

I just dont believe any Forward (after Lindstrom/Demidov) is worthy of #5oa with Dickinson available.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
people are so critical of Grant, I quite like the guy. He seems pretty down to earth, and is by far the only reason I will tune in to a Sick Podcast.

Grant is a legitimate moron and a self centered, insecure, xenophobic dinosaur.

Asking him about the game of hockey in it's current state is like asking a person to explain astronomy by using their horoscope....he is entirely out of touch with the game and is painfully ignorant and awkward in his interviews....it is embarrassing. Grant is well below myself and many others on this board as a competent evaluator of talent and should be dismissed just like he was/is by NHL teams.

Engels is the only regular that I tune in for, as he, more than any other Montreal media member has a decent hockey acumen as well as a good read on the pulse of the team. Basu just isn't a hockey guy and his inexperience shows although I don't mind him as unlike some of his readers, he doesn't take himself too seriously and does come up with the odd decent article.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I think he ends up in Boston. Ullmark make good trade.

TouzY

Dec 1, 2014
Quebec
Iginla is the right choice, no matter his supposed rank in the draft.
Anyone who watchs CHL playoff knows this kid will be a great NHL player.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
... you pick Dickinson.

You stole my thunder. I came here to say the same thing. What's the big deal if Levshunov is on the board at 5? Dickinson is BPA from all of those D. I felt that about a month or so ago and after the Memorial cup, I feel stronger about it.

I swear fans think there are 6+ top pairing D in this draft. Me no think so.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Iginla is the right choice, no matter his supposed rank in the draft.
Anyone who watchs CHL playoff knows this kid will be a great NHL player.

Agreed. He has the potential to be a physical top line forward with 30+ goals. Or worse case, a top 6F. He's one of the youngest and hottest trending. I can just see him break out in his D+1 and D+2.

Lets not pass on this like we did with KK because he was a "center" and centers have more value. I see a lot of gullible drools going on with those D when there is likely 1 or 2 that become top pairing and might be gone before we pick. Centers and D have more value yes, but only if they are good picks.

These are my BPA's after Celebrini:
* Dickinson
* Demidov
* Iggy
* Lindstrom

Dickinson is they one you consider drafting if he is there. But I don't think he will be. Demidov and Dickinson are likely off the board. That leaves me with Iggy and Lindstrom but I find Lindstrom a notch below Iggy in terms of top line potential in the NHL.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Go with the BPA, in a couple of years we could have a terrific D. I just don't like the lack of veteran presence but I see Ghule as enough of a leader to keep that D squat straight

Ghule Reinbacher
Hudson Levshunov
Xhekaj Mailloux
Struble

We can use a combination of Barron, Harris, Engstrom, Mysak, Kapanen and Beck and some of our first to get that top 6 talent

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad