Value of: If Arizona offersheets Matthews what do you do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you do?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can always do better. Plus a whole fresh round of JT jerseys now. Best those come in as #2 this year. Maybe can price in a revamped revenue sharing model as well that Bettman will probably want to help amp up the parity.
Look no amount of Leafs jersey sales from Matthews or Tavares will help the Coyotes financially for some offer sheet that will never happen. The fact that they get revenue sharing from a team like Toronto is a total joke.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Please Arizona offer sheet Matthews will take the 4-1st rounders.
I’ve always thought that as time goes on, slowly, more and more leaf fans will start to feel this way.

Still, even if you don’t want to consider Matthews a franchise player, he’s a #1C and that value is still hard to recoup with four 1st rounders.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I hate how fans talk about a team "offer sheeting" or "giving an offer sheet" to somebody. The player has to sign an offersheet, and I can't see any reason why Matthews would sign in Arizona.
and i hate when people get offended when people talk about their player getting offersheeting when it's a real possibility. You can't see any reason why Matthews would sign an offersheet to Arizona? Money, Hometown, Be the guy who saved his saved his favorite team growing up from being relocated.

You should be the first to see how Matthews can turn a franchise around.

They can't pay him.

What do they have to lose, this is a BOLD move to save their franchise or else they will likely be relocated in the near future? As a owner would you not gamble on it? Worst case scenario you have to sell a team with a 20 year old Franchise Center signed long term.

don't act like the possibility isn't there, because it's likely happening if he gets past july 1st?

easy to fix? Yes, don't f*** with matthews and give him a blank check to sign before he's eligible for the offersheet, because 1 you match, 2 you take the 4 x 1st round pick and hope Arizona fumbles. Wich could be a win for the Leafs but you just wasted Tavares's prime.

Reactions: Newsworthy

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
and i hate when people get offended when people talk about their player getting offersheeting when it's a real possibility. You can't see any reason why Matthews would sign an offersheet to Arizona? Money, Hometown, Be the guy who saved his saved his favorite team growing up from being relocated.
With the exception of John Tavares coming back home to play for the Leafs it's still a rare thing when any NHL player who is a #1 elite superstar like a Tavares does that. We saw Steven Stamkos re-sign with Tampa Bay instead of leaving as a UFA and possibly signing with Toronto since they were his home town team. So just because Tavares did that does not mean Matthews will and you need to remember Matthews would only be an RFA, where as Tavares was a UFA.

Now chances are Toronto was not going to sign either of these players but last summer we also saw Drew Doughty and Tyler Seguin sign 8 year contract extensions with Los Angeles and Dallas, instead of becoming UFA's on July 1, 2019.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Ah yes. The poorest team in the League is about to steal the best player from the richest team in the League.

God I love HF.

That is easily doable for Arizona .They need a face for franchise and he is from there . .You really think they cannot offer him 12 or 13 million ?Leafs will probably match but they could easily do it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That is easily doable for Arizona .They need a face for franchise .You really think they cannot offer him 12 or 13 million ?
It was this past July that Arizona traded for the contract of Marian Hossa so they can get above the salary cap floor. So you think 1 year later they could possibly offer Matthews an offer sheet worth $12 or $13 million? There is no chance in hell that's going to happen and I'm willing to bet that Matthews signs his new contract before July 1, 2019 and never becomes an RFA.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
It was this past July that Arizona traded for the contract of Marian Hossa so they can get above the salary cap floor. So you think 1 year later they could possibly offer Matthews an offer sheet worth $12 or $13 million? There is no chance in hell that's going to happen and I'm willing to bet that Matthews signs his new contract before July 1, 2019 and never becomes an RFA.

They can offer him that easily and his agent would be nuts not to wait and see if offer sheets come to drive up the price.I just looked up their numbers .They have 7 million in cap space right now so not far to go to make the room if they really wanted.

Reactions: HOPE

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
With the exception of John Tavares coming back home to play for the Leafs it's still a rare thing when any NHL player who is a #1 elite superstar like a Tavares does that. We saw Steven Stamkos re-sign with Tampa Bay instead of leaving as a UFA and possibly signing with Toronto since they were his home town team. So just because Tavares did that does not mean Matthews will and you need to remember Matthews would only be an RFA, where as Tavares was a UFA.

Now chances are Toronto was not going to sign either of these players but last summer we also saw Drew Doughty and Tyler Seguin sign 8 year contract extensions with Los Angeles and Dallas, instead of becoming UFA's on July 1, 2019.

was the Leafs a desperate franchise who was facing relocation while offering offersheet for these players you mentioned? Not saying i hope it happens, i'm just saying it makes 100% sense for arizona to do it. Now it make 100% sense for Toronto to not let Matthews walk into Offersheet eligibility, Cause my opinion stands, Arizona would offersheet him to try and save their franchise and like i said worst case scenario the franchise is being sold for more since it has a young 1C franchise player.

Matthews obviously Signs a big $$$ offersheet, both way he wins, Team that drafted me Matches it, My childhood team offersheeted me. Both the same $, win-win situation.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I probably cook up some popcorn, find a comfy seat and browse the 24 part thread that would ensue.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
was the Leafs a desperate franchise who was facing relocation while offering offersheet for these players you mentioned? Not saying i hope it happens, i'm just saying it makes 100% sense for arizona to do it. Now it make 100% sense for Toronto to not let Matthews walk into Offersheet eligibility, Cause my opinion stands, Arizona would offersheet him to try and save their franchise and like i said worst case scenario the franchise is being sold for more since it has a young 1C franchise player.

Matthews obviously Signs a big $$$ offersheet, both way he wins, Team that drafted me Matches it, My childhood team offersheeted me. Both the same $, win-win situation.
Except the idea that Matthews saves Arizona is a bit extreme (and seems like fantasy). Unless they start winning, any gain in attendance would be temporary. If Ken Griffey a way bigger star coming home can't dramatically alter the Reds attendance in a market that actually cared about baseball, I don't get how Auston Matthews can save Arizona. They have two way bigger issues to worry about. One, they need to win, two they need an arena in a more accessible area.

This isn't like bringing a francophone star to Montreal. This market hasn't embraced the NHL, what type of name recognition do you think Matthews has in Arizona? More people probably know the Cardinals back up Quarterback or the Diamondbacks 4th starting pitcher.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

The most recent offer sheet signed was when Calgary offered one to Ryan O'Reilly and that was on February 28, 2013 and it was matched.

Prior to that the biggest offer sheet was when Shea Weber signed that 14 year $110 million offer sheet from the Flyers on July 18, 2012. The contract was structured in a way that the Flyers thought there is no way the Predators would match and to everyone's surprise they did.

So to come out and say 100% that Matthews will sign an offer sheet from the Coyotes is complete crap because I just shown how rare offer sheets are, especially from a franchise like the Coyotes who would not be able to afford one.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I hate how fans talk about a team "offer sheeting" or "giving an offer sheet" to somebody. The player has to sign an offersheet, and I can't see any reason why Matthews would sign in Arizona.

As leverage.

Reactions: Newsworthy

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
At no time has Arizona actually required a dead contract to reach cap floor. This is a false narrative.

What AZ has done during their rebuild is take on assets in exchange of relieving a team of their cap issue.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't think the Leafs will low ball Mathews. So an offer sheet to me seems unlikely. Also the compensation hurts.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
as well as their desire to be "the guy", as well as fully understanding the process involved

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous tropes on HF. It was wrong when people were claiming Matthews was upset that Tavares stole his spotlight and it's still wrong now. No one gives a shit about being the guy.

Reactions: Cotton

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
can they offer him a 3 year deal as opposed to the max length?
Ex : 3 years @ 17 mil / season just so Toronto doesn't match?

Why does everyone think it's only the Leafs that would have cap issues with overpaid Matthews? Check out a the cap on an Arizona team with a even a 15m Matthews in 2020/21. They might have got rid themselves of good RFA.
Playing value wise, Matthews isn't close to the highest paid player at 12.5m. And what's so special about Matthews playing in Arizona.. When he visits once a year the arena is just 2/3rd full, and its full of Leafs (snowbirds) fans. It's a real stretch to think Matthews will be really difference maker in attendance, though the Coyotes might want to take the chance.

Reactions: Cotton

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
At no time has Arizona actually required a dead contract to reach cap floor. This is a false narrative.

What AZ has done during their rebuild is take on assets in exchange of relieving a team of their cap issue.

Pretty sure they were under the cap floor in 2016-17. They may have just squeaked over with buyout cap hits but their active roster was definitely under.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't think the Leafs will low ball Mathews. So an offer sheet to me seems unlikely. Also the compensation hurts.

I agree that the Leafs will not lowball Matthews. Actually their offer is probably an overpay. I guess the question is a team will be silly and REALLY overpay on an offer sheet. Interesting that we never see about offers for Rantanen and Point.
But even if Leafs don't match an offer sheet and get the four first rounders, the other thing the Leafs would have is the 12m cap space they have allotted for Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad