Confirmed with Link: Ian Clarke Changing Roles / Marko Torenius Promoted

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I wonder if Clark's being pushed at all. He's notorious for how hard he works his goalies between games and Demko keeps breaking down. I can see old school Rutherford having enough of this - he didn't hire him after all.

I would doubt it. Clark is a very well respected coach and if he was being forced out of coaching AND into a role he doesn't want/like I would expect he would leave the organization full stop. I know he's under contract and has no real choice if they decide to keep him around in those other duties but I don't think Alvin and Rutherford are the types to force that on someone like Clark. They'd let him leave the organization with his head held high "Canucks regret that Ian Clark is resigning from the canucks to pursue other professional opportunities. Give him an 'Atta boy' and 'You will be missed and we wish you luck wherever you go'." type press release.

That doesn't mean they didn't go to him and say "you know what we love you . We want you around and think these other roles are ideal for us and you, but we might need to refresh our goaltending coaching a bit." So perhaps "forced" out of coaching but with the result being a mutual agreement that it's the best way forward. And it could just be exactly what the press release says...Clark wants to step back from the demanding role he has at his age (both physically and mentally).

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I would doubt it. Clark is a very well respected coach and if he was being forced out I would expect he would leave the organization full stop. I know he's under contract and has no real choice if they decide to keep him around in other duties but I don't think Alvin and Rutherford are the types to force that on someone like Clark. They'd let him leave the organization with his head held high "Canucks regret that Ian Clark is resigning from the canucks to pursue other professional opportunities. Give him an 'Atta boy' and 'You will be missed and we wish you luck wherever you go'." type press release.

this may still be what's happening. at clarke's level he probably has a big separation award in his contract and it's common for organizations to announce some transition like this to a vague role as a form of gardening leave

unless some insider reports on this though we'll likely never know whether he legit wanted to stop doing on-ice work or whether he was forced off the ice. there's pretty compelling theories either way

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Apparently our new goalie coach was askarovs in the khl *fakerumorsintensify
yeah, but can't imagine that Silovs is the main piece Nash would want. Sarros is signed for 9 seasons. they inked Wedgewood for 2 years, which is probably adds to why Asakarov wants out as he thinks being on a 1 way deal locks Wedgewood into the NHL lineup while he can still clear waivers.

Based on their commitment to Sarros, I think Nash if they got a goalie in return are looking for one from the 23 or 24 draft, ala a Fowler from Montreal. Allows them to reset the clock with maybe 2 more NCAA and 2 AHL years of development before he were to be the backup in Nash, which would then leave Sarros down to 5 years left on his deal. And they figure it out later depending on how Fowler does as the backup.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Between ‘Ian asked for a change in role’ and ‘he cannot go on the ice’ it seems pretty obvious that this was driven by Clarke and not the team and people are just looking for a controversy where there isn’t one.

I agree. To specifically name Ian in that manner suggests that to me. Otherwise, it would simply be "Ian is moving into role X and this other guy is being promoted to Y."

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Seawater ain't wrong, though.

I find Drance insufferable, and asshole face to be dangerously idiotic.
drance.png

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Pay him more. He's not that old.

Maybe he's overrated. Or maybe the era of elite goaltending in Vancouver is coming to an end. I really don't want to find out.

Has a goaltender ever not improved after meeting Ian Clarke ?

Literally every guy Columbus has now, but they also didn't get better after he left. It was rumoured that he didn't get along with their young guys which is why he was let go.

Issue with Clark is that he's always had one elite guy (Luongo, Bob, Marky, Demko) who has definitely taken their game to another level under him. But there have been a lot of other guys who didn't benefit that much.

For example, you look at Mitch Korn I would argue that goalies improved under him and the franchise was able to ship off extra guys for assets. Shields, Mason, Grubauer, , Or recently keeping Varlamov decent into his mid 30's,

This is in addition to the absolute studs he had like Hasek, Rinne, Holtby or Sorokin. For Clark basically his one big guy is his success story every time. And you can argue Bob got better after he switched to a European goalie coach, which is who he's been under in this last great run.

IMO Clark is a guy who can get an already great goalie to another level. But it doesn't work with guys who don't respond to his style and attitude. And he's shown that he doesn't really elevate other goalies. Again, look at Columbus' goalies. Spencer Martin was good with Carolina last year (part of this is on Green no doubt) after looking terrible with us. Holtby didn't work (and actually had a better final year the season after). DiPietro didn't develop. Halak basically maintained his level before and after. Delia was arguably better on Chicago than he was with us.

Not to say Clark isn't a great goalie coach. Just that he wasn't/isn't the magical wizard a lot of people made him out to be. He works with some styles and personalities better than others, just like any other goalie coach.

He has a lot invested in a system that IMO is being countered by forwards, which is why I'm cool with Torenius taking over the every day on-ice duties. At this point he is probably better with as a director who can take a step back but not have daily management of the goalies. He might be good at identifying talent but his demanding personality probably doesn't mesh super well with either veterans who are already established or rookies who are used to a more nuanced non-old school coaching style as they come up in the ranks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A bit surprised at the timing but Clarke has interests outside. Recall that he was let go the first time because he wasn't willing to work full time. He now has a cushy gig so he gets to do what he wants to do.

IMO Clark is a guy who can get an already great goalie to another level. But it doesn't work with guys who don't respond to his style and attitude. And he's shown that he doesn't really elevate other goalies. Again, look at Columbus' goalies. Spencer Martin was good with Carolina last year (part of this is on Green no doubt) after looking terrible with us. Holtby didn't work (and actually had a better final year the season after). DiPietro didn't develop. Halak basically maintained his level before and after. Delia was arguably better on Chicago than he was with us.

Not to say Clark isn't a great goalie coach. Just that he wasn't/isn't the magical wizard a lot of people made him out to be. He works with some styles and personalities better than others, just like any other goalie coach.
I think Clark is a good at getting big athletic goalies to reach a level sufficient for NHL consideration. His formula works. I think he runs into trouble with NHL vets as he tends not to push too hard for necessary changes. So there hasn't been vets who rediscovered their game or reinvented their game after working with Clark.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Waiting for @mossey3535 take and what he knows about Torenius.
I like Torenius, I first heard about him when I listened to his 2022 Ingoalmag podcast and liked his philosophy about the goalie keeping their feet more and reacting from their feet. I think this keeps the butterfly and RVH from dominating a goalie's style. He isn't a "cookie cutter" coach which is good. And I was struck by how he was saying that he learns from goalies he teaches and is open to transparent collaboration with other goalie coaches. So I was happy when he got hired in Abby.

I think everyone here knows what I think about the Clark trackdown which abuses RVH. I believe he will move away from that and I view that as a good thing. Goalie techniques like the RVH have always kept evolving and it's probably time to move on in general.

I see TruGr1t has linked the interview. If you listen he talks about holding a bit narrower stance generally. This is similar to Clark's three-stance system but the issue is that since all Clark's goalies default to the trackdown they are biased to a wide stance because that's the easiest way to enter the RVH. So reacting from your feet IMO is a good strategy especially. I noticed that Silovs was on his feet more when the puck went behind the net when he first came up for the playoffs and then as his run went on he started doing the RVH which I didn't like.

He was also the goalie coach at SKA St Petersburg when Shesterkin was there so he was credited for that.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Woodley was also saying Torrenius coming to the NA was always to be the guy. He just thought it’d be next year, but I guess Clark’s body gave out a year earlier than anticipated.

Says there’s been times where he’s seen Clark in the press box and he can’t stand up (paraphrasing)

I listened to the hit he did this morning

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Woodley was also saying Torrenius coming to the NA was always to be the guy. He just thought it’d be next year, but I guess Clark’s body gave out a year earlier than anticipated.

Says there’s been times where he’s seen Clark in the press box and he can’t stand up (paraphrasing)

But but but if you listen to just the clips and tweets it’s a conspiracy and Clark is being pushed out!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LordBacon

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

Jeez. That sucks. Do you know what his injury is?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Jeez. That sucks. Do you know what his injury is?

after reading @F A N 's post in the other thread, i figure that all these years of showing the butterfly position to goalies has taken its toll on his hips
Woodley didn’t say exactly what it it is but said that Clark believes the goalie needs to be the hardest worker on the team and he includes himself in that. He’s 60 and all of that has taken a toll and he’s had a ton of procedures. Can’t remember if he mentioned hips or knees but yeah, just life time of hard goalie stuff is basically what he said

Reactions: God

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's been coaching since about 2000, when he was around 34/35. Prior to that, the only thing I could find was that he played for UBC in 87/88 as a teenager. Can't find if he was playing goalie at some other level until he was mid to late 20's.

I wonder how the likes of Roy, Hasek, Fuhr, Moog, Vernon are as they would be late 50's to mid 60's now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad