Confirmed with Link: Ian Clarke Changing Roles / Marko Torenius Promoted

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Part of aging. As you get into your 60's, 70's, and beyond, body isn't the same. Pro athletes have put a lot more stress on their bones/joints than regular people. If his hips, knees, groin are bothering him in demonstrating the techniques, then he's wise to step away from that role.
This. I don’t get why some people are freaking out lol

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Saw the news on Twitter and so much negativity.

Is it a big deal? Sure, Ian is phenomenal but it's not world ending.

Ian would have had a say in hiring the AHL guy and talked to him throughout the last few years. He'll still be around watching tape and offering opinions on the current goalies while going out and finding us some future studs.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Saw the news on Twitter and so much negativity.

Is it a big deal? Sure, Ian is phenomenal but it's not world ending.

Ian would have had a say in hiring the AHL guy and talked to him throughout the last few years. He'll still be around watching tape and offering opinions on the current goalies while going out and finding us some future studs.
It’s negative because literally the day before had a ton of demko news, and one day after the goalie coach steps aside.

Who knows if it’s related or not

Reactions: mossey3535

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Ignore Taj - more about Dhaliwal. Seems like Jones wants to retire, so we might see Lankinen as a Canuck?

Did I respond to the wrong thing.

I was talking about the askarov tweet with noah

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I mean, if they think Askarov is both better than Silovs right now & has higher upside, you make a call there in an instant.

The Demko thing is coming to its head quicker than people realize. He’s going to want to get paid next offseason or be traded where he will get paid.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This all sucks, way to much going on with our goaltending this offseason.

This just feels off, hard to put it into words
Agree, too much smoke in a short period of time.
Something seems off, although I'm definitely interested in the askarov connection and I'm not even that high on him.

Reactions: Canucks LB

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The Askarov thing makes a fair amount of sense, really. Silovs for Askarov gives Nashville a good young back up, gives the Canucks a guy with higher upside, gives Askarov a legit shot at being in the bigs and taking the reins next year.

I love Demko, but we really can't rely on him being healthy at this stage of the game.

But who knows.

And this thread is about Clarke.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
the timing is just unfortunate given the rumours around demko surfacing yesterday, but this makes sense. would rather see clark train and transition his eventual successor rather than having him retire one day and leave the organization hanging.

this is how successful organizations operate.

the askarov connection also feels coincidental timing wise. maybe there's something there, but maybe not.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hopefully this new coach is more flexible with his methods/technique and will get Demko to play a style that’s less taxing on his body

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Askarov thing makes a fair amount of sense, really. Silovs for Askarov gives Nashville a good young back up, gives the Canucks a guy with higher upside, gives Askarov a legit shot at being in the bigs and taking the reins next year.

I love Demko, but we really can't rely on him being healthy at this stage of the game.

But who knows.

And this thread is about Clarke.
Nash signed wedgewood for $1.5 mill per for 2 years. Now they can eat the difference since Askarov would make less in the nhl this actually saving Nash a small amount of cap room but he does not seem intent on competing for the backup role or thinks that wedgewood contract would already cement his fate when it comes to being in the nhl.

If you are Nash, maybe you’re better off aiming to swap Askarov for a young goalie like Fowler in Montreal. Pushes back the timeline by 3-4 years. I just don’t see Nash flipping Askarov for Silovs as the primary return.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Askarov would be our first or Lekkerimaki plus a piece plus Silovs IMO

And methinks Ian Clarke has donated his hips to Demko before calling it quits for on ice

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
so when the Gillis Canucks fired Clarke in the 2010 offseason, it was because he wasn't traveling with the team on the road(due to family commitments?). Gut feeling its the same issue and Clarke remembering what happened last time approached Allvin to reconsider his role instead.

honestly guys, happens. I am not panicking. I doubt Demko misses much time, sounds like his rehab is progressing but slower than the team will like. Silovs has proven he can hold down the fort definitely for the short term and I think maybe the medium term if necessary. I tbh its better if Silov's role grows sooner than later. Marko Torenius is a Clarke hire and Clarke is still in the organization for him as a resource.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
so when the Gillis Canucks fired Clarke in the 2010 offseason, it was because he wasn't traveling with the team on the road(due to family commitments?). Gut feeling its the same issue and Clarke remembering what happened last time approached Allvin to reconsider his role instead.

honestly guys, happens. I am not panicking. I doubt Demko misses much time, sounds like his rehab is progressing but slower than the team will like. Silovs has proven he can hold down the fort definitely for the short term and I think maybe the medium term if necessary. I tbh its better if Silov's role grows sooner than later. Marko Torenius is a Clarke hire and Clarke is still in the organization for him as a resource.
Woodley made it sound like Demko was trying to rehab the injury but it just want progressing well enough so now they might’ve opted for surgery.

Maybe I’m reading the between the lines incorrectly

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I wonder if Clark's being pushed at all. He's notorious for how hard he works his goalies between games and Demko keeps breaking down. I can see old school Rutherford having enough of this - he didn't hire him after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad