I think Pacific is indeed the toughest division in the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Before the season, many thought Pacifce was the toughest division with two legit contenders in Vegas and Edmonton, one borderline contender in LA and that Calgary would bounce back and join Seattle in the WC spots.

One month into the season, people changed their opinion because both Albertan teams and Seattle struggled out of the gate, Vancouver had high PDO and was due for regression and SJ sucked.

Well, we are currently 1/3 into the season, 3 of the top 5 teams in the league are Pacific teams.
Vegas has 45 pts already, Vancouver was supposed to regress but now sits 4th with 39 pts. LA sits 5th with 36 and have 5 games in hand on Vegas.

Edmonton has won 8 in a row but is somehow still 9 pts behind LA, but they are only 5 pts behind WC1 with 3 games in hand.

I think the prediction was pretty correct after all.

"They get to feast on SJ, of course they have more pts than other teams"

Go look at SJ's record ever since they lost back to back 10 goals game. It's not easy to beat them these days and many east coast teams have learned that the hard way recently.

The only truly terrible team right now is the Ducks

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Before the season, many thought Pacifce was the toughest division with two legit contenders in Vegas and Edmonton, one borderline contender in LA and that Calgary would bounce back and join Seattle in the WC spots.

One month into the season, people changed their opinion because both Albertan teams and Seattle struggled out of the gate, Vancouver had high PDO and was due for regression and SJ sucked.

Well, we are currently 1/3 into the season, 3 of the top 5 teams in the league are Pacific teams.
Vegas has 45 pts already, Vancouver was supposed to regress but now sits 4th with 39 pts. LA sits 5th with 36 and have 5 games in hand on Vegas.

Edmonton has won 8 in a row but is somehow still 9 pts behind LA, but they are only 5 pts behind WC1 with 3 games in hand.

I think the prediction was pretty correct after all.

"They get to feast on SJ, of course they have more pts than other teams"

Go look at SJ's record ever since the lost back to back 10 goals game.

The truly terrible team right now is the Ducks

Vegas is obviously great, and they have a nice top three with a rising Edmonton, but the bottom four teams are here:

IMG_0732.jpeg

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The funny thing is Vegas is winning games while not even playing their best. In November, they couldn't buy themselves a goal and lost couple of 1 goal games and even getting shutout 3 times in 5 games.

Now these last 4 games, their offense has been saving their asses while they seem to not be able to keep the puck out of their own net.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
The funny thing is Vegas is winning games while not even playing their best. In November, they couldn't buy themselves a goal and lost couple of 1 goal games and even getting shutout 3 times in 5 games.

Now these last 4 games, their offense has been saving their asses while they seem to not be able to keep the puck out of their own net.
That I think we have had all our D for what like 2 games :laugh:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I don't think the Flames, Kraken, Ducks, or Sharks are very good.

So I disagree with the notion that the Pacific is the toughest division.

In fact, if you compare the 5th place through 8th place in the Pacific with all other divisions, you get the following result based by points percentage:

Flames are the worst 5th place team out of all divisions (ranked 4th of 4).
Kraken are the worst 6th place team out of all divisions (ranked 4th of 4).
Ducks are the worst 7th place team out of all divisions (ranked 4th of 4).
Sharks are the second worst 8th place team out of all divisions (ranked 3rd of 4; only Chicago is worse).

Even the Oilers are the worst 4th place team out of all divisions, although this is due to a horrible start and I see them improving their ranking.

This would all seem to indicate the Pacific is the worst division in hockey, rather than the best division in hockey.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Vancouver is better than Edmonton bud
Highly doubt that. Their finishing and goaltending was through the roof to start the season, which is generally not sustainable. Oilers are the 2nd best team in the league in 5vs5 xgf% and have the best PP in the league.

Also 109 points last seasons vs Canucks who missed the playoffs. I'd like to think that far better underlying numbers coupled with far better recent success makes Oilers the superior team, despite Canucks being ahead in the standings for now.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Highly doubt that. Their finishing and goaltending was through the roof to start the season, which is generally not sustainable. Oilers are the 2nd best team in the league in 5vs5 xgf% and have the best PP in the league.

Also 109 points last seasons vs Canucks who missed the playoffs. I'd like to think that far better underlying numbers coupled with far better recent success makes Oilers the superior team, despite Canucks being ahead in the standings for now.
Canucks have the most regulation time wins in the league. Am sure you will find a way to discredit that too lol. They have the most goals scored in the league. Is that a fluke too? That's with Kuzmenko scoring only 4 goals. You don't want to look at results and real stats like wins or losses or goals or point percentage, that's fine. But they have beat Oilers 3 times in a dominant fashion too this season. They are the better team and their D is way better too, can score and hit. It's ok to be jealous but that's just reality.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Statistics are your friend.

Eastern teams Vs Pacific teams
12 have a winning record
2 have an even record
2 have a losing record
If my team goes 1-0-1 against my opponent, who also goes 1-0-1, both teams have winning records. .750 at that.

I think you meant to say, improperly used statistics are my friend when I'm making a dishonest point.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
the east hasnt been impressive since tampa won. this year they look even worse. not sure whats going on there. a bunch of underachieving teams.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Canucks have the most regulation time wins in the league. Am sure you will find a way to discredit that too lol. They have the most goals scored in the league. Is that a fluke too?
Well duh, that's what high PD is. That's exactly what he says in the post you are quoting.

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
If my team goes 1-0-1 against my opponent, who also goes 1-0-1, both teams have winning records. .750 at that.

I think you meant to say, improperly used statistics are my friend when I'm making a dishonest point.
Which would true if that was the statistic I’d used, which it wasn’t, it was a simple number of wins v number of losses.

Ie. Leafs v Pacific won 3 lost 1 - a winning record.

Habs - won 3 lost 6 - a losing record

Lowly Sens - won 2 lost 2 - an equal record.

So the what you have highlighted would be an equal record 1 win, 1 loss, neither team would have a winning record.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad