Horse Racing: I. Ortiz/B. Cox/Godolphin/Into Mischief top 2023; J. Rodriguez/B. Russell win Laurel titles on final day; L. Rice sets NYRA record for wins in a year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
back in the 90's was when i first started following racing. i remembered that there were a few trainers from suffolk that would ship and race their horses over at aqueduct. and more often than not they would win. two of them that were my favorites were alan borosh and michael downing.

the big time trainer from suffolk was william perry. he trained a horse i think was named formal gold. this horse was such a badass that he once beat skip away.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1683460951569.png

Laurel closes shop today.

Maryland racing calendar for 2023:

Pimlico5/11/2023-6/4/2023
Laurel6/9/2023-8/20/2023
Timonium (state fair)
8/25/2023-9/4/2023
Pimlico9/8/2023-10/1/2023
Laurel10/5/2023-12/31/2023

Here is the card:

Race #PurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
Race 1$25,000Maiden Claiming6 FurlongsDirt712:25 PM ET
Race 2$23,000Claiming7 FurlongsDirt1312:54 PM ET
Race 3$44,000Maiden Claiming4 1/2 FurlongsDirt71:24 PM ET
Race 4$34,500Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsDirt61:55 PM ET
Race 5$34,500Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsDirt72:26 PM ET
Race 6$26,000Starter Optional Claiming5 1/2 FurlongsTurf132:56 PM ET
Race 7$26,000Starter Optional Claiming7 FurlongsDirt93:26 PM ET
Race 8$25,000Maiden Claiming6 FurlongsDirt73:56 PM ET

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I like the Kentucky derby, the ambiance of it, the tradition, somewhat the fashion, and especially the singing of My Old Kentucky Home. Watching the race last night actually made me feel a little guilty because of the deaths of the horses this week. What is going on in this sport and should society start saying no more horse racing? Seems like this sport is becoming the horse racing equivalent of the gladiator events, a fight for survival.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
I like the Kentucky derby, the ambiance of it, the tradition, somewhat the fashion, and especially the singing of My Old Kentucky Home. Watching the race last night actually made me feel a little guilty because of the deaths of the horses this week. What is going on in this sport and should society start saying no more horse racing? Seems like this sport is becoming the horse racing equivalent of the gladiator events, a fight for survival.
based on your post you appear to be a real kind soul, that's great - continue to be you.

just a suggestion i'll make to you, one that over 90% would never make. first off don't worry about what society should do or not regarding this matter. don't you think that there have been protests raised against the racing industry for decades? when you've gambled for several years, read articles, and even known owners who have raced horses in major tracks, eventually just like in any industry there will be some real bad groups of individuals that are just rotten to the core. and yes some of these people will be prominent members of that industry. scumbags.

you can organize a protest outside the racetrack that holds the kentucky derby and have your voice heard to raise awareness. if you sway a few people to your side that's great. but at the end of the day most will not give a shit. an event like the ky derby makes many, many millions worldwide. it's racing's version of the superbowl.

look i get your point of view. hell i can name a bunch of trainers who i wouldn't want hundreds of yards near any horses. the best course of action is to ignore the sport. not contributing with your dollars. eventually at the end those scumbags will face the consequences of their actions. for soundness of your mind you will be much better off not knowing anymore than you already do.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
and your gladiators fighting for survival. well yeah that's the reality of life. especially in sports. you're a sharks fan. every time meloche is on ice he's just trying to survive to stay to continue his livelihood in the nhl grinding away at the 4th line.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
look i get your point of view. hell i can name a bunch of trainers who i wouldn't want hundreds of yards near any horses. the best course of action is to ignore the sport. not contributing with your dollars. eventually at the end those scumbags will face the consequences of their actions. for soundness of your mind you will be much better off not knowing anymore than you already do.

I confess I am ignorant about why this is happening and for the most part other than the triple crown I do ignore the sport. I guess my question is why is this happening. Why did 7 horses die the week of the biggest event of this sport, basically the Hirse racing equivalent of the Super Bowl. Why did those horses die from the Santa Anita tracks a few years ago. It’s hard to support something, let alone bet on it, knowing you are kind of supporting suffering. I keep thinking these horses want to do this and it’s a natural thing, but now I wonder if it’s enough.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I confess I am ignorant about why this is happening and for the most part other than the triple crown I do ignore the sport. I guess my question is why is this happening. Why did 7 horses die the week of the biggest event of this sport, basically the Hirse racing equivalent of the Super Bowl. Why did those horses die from the Santa Anita tracks a few years ago. It’s hard to support something, let alone bet on it, knowing you are kind of supporting suffering. I keep thinking these horses want to do this and it’s a natural thing, but now I wonder if it’s enough.
Without the sport, there is no breeding of a T-bred and with that the animal becomes extinct. A T-bred is vastly different than other breeds. As far as gladiators, what you are not seeing is the dedication to detail of many people whose lives would be permanently altered because of the attention of those with ulterior motives.

What happens on the national stage gets magnified. An athlete dies in a plane crash, it is instant news for weeks. Joe Blow dies in a plane crash then it is a local story at best.

Killing an entire industry goes beyond racing: the breeders, the track staff, the backside employees are among so many occupations. Faceless people, sure but all fired. No big deal especially if they aren't familiar to the opposition point-of-view.

Did any good come out of the races yesterday? Plenty. And the bad of the week, I stated in my daily review earlier. Horses are majestic beasts and those who have been attached leave in admiration. Some will get rid of hockey next or football and have reasons that aren't the same as horses dying. But the ammo needed will have been delivered. Let's start banning sports because we don't like them.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Sunday, May 7, 2023

Aqueduct (New York):
  • Race 3: Marketsegmentation (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Chad Brown) was sent off the favorite and won the $175,000 Grade 3 Beaugay Stakes. Brown finished 1-3-4 in the 7-horse field.
Laurel (Maryland):
  • Closing Day of the Meet: Maryland racing calendar for 2023:

Pimlico5/11/2023-6/4/2023
    Laurel6/9/2023-8/20/2023
    Timonium (state fair)
    8/25/2023-9/4/2023
    Pimlico9/8/2023-10/1/2023
    Laurel10/5/2023-12/31/2023
  • Leading Jockey: Axel Concepcion with 14 wins. The Puerto Rican-trained jockey turned 18 years of age in March and began riding in the U.S. earlier this year. He defeated all challengers including Jeiron Barbosa and Jevian Toledo (money leader) who had 13 wins apiece.
  • Leading Trainer: Kieron Magee with 11 wins. The Ireland-born trainer has just 25 horses under his care. Brittany Russell led all trainers with money earned.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The thing the sport doesn’t have that it needs is a nationwide organization. Mike Tirico said it best - there is no Roger Goodell, there is no commissioner, there is nobody in charge from a macro level where the buck stops at. Everything is left to the states, so everyone makes their own rules and standards. All the medications, all the testing, all the tracks, etc. Now, everyone is still going to run their day to day operations, but if there was one standard for everyone, you’re not having every state wait for it to become a problem before they feel apt to fix it.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
The thing the sport doesn’t have that it needs is a nationwide organization. Mike Tirico said it best - there is no Roger Goodell, there is no commissioner, there is nobody in charge from a macro level where the buck stops at. Everything is left to the states, so everyone makes their own rules and standards. All the medications, all the testing, all the tracks, etc. Now, everyone is still going to run their day to day operations, but if there was one standard for everyone, you’re not having every state wait for it to become a problem before they feel apt to fix it.
having a commissioner most likely won't solve the problem. it's the elite owners that would decide who would become their commissioner.

are all the votes amongst all owners going to counted as equal? or are the votes going to be weighed based upon how may horses each owner owns? also if the current rules favor the group of owners who have the most horses that also happen to earn the most purse monies they will be pissed if changes are even suggested. racing elites would only be open to change provided that change doesn't have negative effects with their earnings.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I didn't watch the broadcast but I would imagine HISA, which is now in its infancy, was discussed. There are those who oppose the infiltration of feds and how it pertains to universal issues such as meds. Texas and to a lesser degree Nebraska refused to abide and as such simulcast signals from those states have become restricted. Texas has a valid point in having existing state laws voided by fed intervention upon agreement. Texas isn't a major player nationally but though I am not supporting or opposing their principles, having outsiders determine by such mandate can lead to friction.

It is a sad reality of the sport. Horses break down. Jockeys get seriously injured. Even without the sport and industry, a horse can be fragile despite the awesomeness of their composition.

A commissioner may or may not help but racing needs better PR for starters. Show the good from the backside and how therapeutic a horse can be. People and media moreso on national levels with scant exceptions are either opposed to the sport, thumb their snobby noses at the commoner appeal or simply have never been exposed. That will be a difficult fight to defeat. But the graphic losses of an animal can't be removed by a commissioner. None of us wants to see a horse breakdown. Is it the track, meds, a simple clipping of heels during the race? Reasons vary. Don't punish an entire industry.

Reactions: Marco 85

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

NBC Sports' presentation of the 149th Kentucky Derby, won by Mage, averaged a Total Audience Delivery (TAD) of 14.8 million viewers – making it the most-watched sporting event and second most watched show (Academy Awards) since Super Bowl LVII in February.

Additional viewership highlights from Saturday's Kentucky Derby coverage:

• With 14.8 million viewers, the 2023 Kentucky Derby is NBC Sports' 14th consecutive presentation of the “Run for the Roses” to top 14.5 million viewers (excludes 2020 event which was held in Sept.).
  • Viewership peaked at 16.6 million viewers from 7-7:15 p.m. ET on NBC, as Mage took the lead in the homestretch and won by a length. Mage is only the third horse to win the Kentucky Derby without racing as a two-year old, joining 2018 Triple Crown winner Justify, and Apollo (1882).
  • The TV-only average audience of 14.4 million viewers is NBC's most-watched program since the NFL Playoffs in January.
  • Led by Peacock, the event posted a record Average Minute Audience (AMA) of 371,000 viewers across NBCUniversal streaming platforms – up 50% from last year (247,000).
  • The NBC-TV household rating for the broadcast (6:31-7:21 p.m. ET) was a 6.9/24.

Total Audience Delivery is based upon live-plus-same day figures from Nielsen and digital data from Adobe Analytics.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Forte could be prevented to run in the Preakness per HISA and a 14-day wait on vet's list.

The KHRC issued a statement Monday that said regulatory veterinarians made the call to scratch Forte the morning of the Kentucky Derby.​
"Forte was scratched from the Kentucky Derby by KHRC veterinarians following Saturday's routine soundness checks," the statement said. "As is the case with all KHRC veterinary scratches related to soundness, and pursuant to HISA Rule 2241(a), this places Forte on a mandatory 14-day veterinary list.​

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1683584556161.png

Preakness Day
Saturday, May 20th,
Baltimore, Maryland
Race Post Time​
  • 1 10:30 AM
  • 2 11:05 AM
  • 3 11:41 AM
  • 4 12:16 PM
  • 5 12:51 PM
  • 6 1:29 PM
  • 7 2:08 PM
  • 8 2:49 PM
  • 9 3:31 PM
  • 10 4:12 PM
  • 11 4:53 PM
  • 12 5:51 PM
  • 13 7:01 PM Preakness, GI
  • 14 7:43 PM UAE President Cup (Arabian) GI

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Forte could be prevented to run in the Preakness per HISA and a 14-day wait on vet's list.

The KHRC issued a statement Monday that said regulatory veterinarians made the call to scratch Forte the morning of the Kentucky Derby.​
"Forte was scratched from the Kentucky Derby by KHRC veterinarians following Saturday's routine soundness checks," the statement said. "As is the case with all KHRC veterinary scratches related to soundness, and pursuant to HISA Rule 2241(a), this places Forte on a mandatory 14-day veterinary list.​
This is something I had not been privy to. Figured it was new, turns out they just implemented it in July.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Black-Eyed Susan and Preakness possibilities per HorseRacingNation.

Brittany Russell against that group? :handclap:

• 2023 Black-Eyed Susan (G1)
  • 1 1/8 m, Dirt; 3 F

• View Race Details 5/20/2023
  • 2023 Preakness Stakes (G1)
  • 1 3/16 m, Dirt; 3 M

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Prospective owners of Turf Paradise (AZ) claim they want to maintain racing while redeveloping the perimeter of the property they are close to purchasing.

If so, what appeared to be dire news last month seems less ominous now.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Two Phils, runner up in the Kentucky Derby, will not run in the Preakness per trainer Larry Rivelli.

Forte will not run, on the vet's list.

Maryland can't catch a break.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Two Phils, runner up in the Kentucky Derby, will not run in the Preakness per trainer Larry Rivelli.

Forte will not run, on the vet's list.

Maryland can't catch a break.
I don’t want to underserve the Preakness or Maryland as you hope they get the strongest field possible, but you get the Derby winner, you’ve got what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad