Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
McDavid now has as many points in a Finals as Crosby ever had.

It only took him four games.

Crosby had one three point game in his twenty five SCF games and never achieved a four point game.

P.S. Also has more assists in a playoff run than Crosby ever had total points.
All Crosby has over Mcdavid at this point is “moments”

Golden goal

Hoisting Stanley cups etc.

Not enough to have him over mcdavid in my opinion but people will cling to this stuff.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
McDavid has 38 pts this postseason. The closest non-teammate is Barkov with 21 pts.

McDavid’s 17 pt lead over Barkov is the same as Barkov’s lead over the t-99th scorers this postseason which includes a bunch of guys who played 5 games like Matthews, Byfield, and Brock Nelson.

I’m not saying he’s going to win, but that’s pretty wild nonetheless.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
McDavid has 38 pts this postseason. The closest non-teammate is Barkov with 21 pts.

McDavid’s 17 pt lead over Barkov is the same as Barkov’s lead over the t-99th scorers this postseason which includes a bunch of guys who played 5 games like Matthews, Byfield, and Brock Nelson.

I’m not saying he’s going to win, but that’s pretty wild nonetheless.
Having more assists than the next guy has points is wild as well

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm voting late here and while I don't think that the Oilers will win the SC it's pretty hard to see the Conn Smythe going to any Florida player over him right?

As McDavid has been clearly the best player for the entire playoffs, which is what the CS is actually for.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
McDavid now has as many points in a Finals as Crosby ever had.

It only took him four games.

Crosby had one three point game in his twenty five SCF games and never achieved a four point game.

P.S. Also has more assists in a playoff run than Crosby ever had total points.
Ahh. Yes these are all facts. Ill face the music. He played brilliant last night. 38 points is crazy

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If Bobrovsky returns to form and the Panthers wrap it up in short order, then I think he has it in the bag. If not, though - say it goes to 7 and McDavid keeps racking up points - it's up in the air. Any player breaking a Gretzky record is a big, big deal.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I'm voting late here and while I don't think that the Oilers will win the SC it's pretty hard to see the Conn Smythe going to any Florida player over him right?

As McDavid has been clearly the best player for the entire playoffs, which is what the CS is actually for.
Ugh....sorry but there's no way he SHOULD get it in a 5 or 6 game loss.

BoB or Barkov both have a case for the Cats. McDaid balled out last night. But it was way too late imo. Damage already done.

If it goes 7 and they lose, I can see a case.

Too bad by then he’ll likely be down a bit in speed and agility compared to say at age 24-25.

Will still be great to see though
Crazy that the best player in the game will have waited 11 seasons before playing in the olympics.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's hilarious how this board can go from "McDavid has had a terrible finals" to "McDavid has had a better finals than Crosby ever had" just because McDavid put up some points in a blowout game :laugh:

MLB has a stat called "win probability added", but we can track that in the NHL on sites like MoneyPuck as well. McDavid had points on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th goals last night. In terms of win probability added, here's what those looked like:

4th: Increase by 6.5%
5th: Increase by 10.2%
6th: Increase by 0.02%
7th: Increase by 0%

And if you look at game 3, here were how McDavid's 2 points in the 3rd increased their odds at winning:

1st: Increase by 3.76%
2nd: Increase by 9.15%

For comparison, a "valuable" goal according to MoneyPuck seems to be adding a win probability of about 20%-25%. All of these points count, so you can't just say they didn't exist, but he's not putting up a lot of impactful points in this series. His overall stat line is good, but how much is he realistically helping the team if he's just putting up a bunch of points when the games are already over?

With Florida, people will now say that Bobrovsky doesn't deserve the Conn Smythe because he got pulled and that hurt his overall stats. But I personally don't think 1 bad game outweighs 3 terrific games, even if the stats suggest that's the case. If Bobrovsky has another strong game in game 5, I don't see how he doesn't win it. Yes, he had a shit game 4, but he has been absolutely massive for them winning the other games in the series.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I firmly believe that McDavid will win the Conn Smythe, no matter what. The numbers slay everyone, including Bob. Bob's impact in the series is near Glenn Hall-ish, but look at his overall playoff stats and you see where I'm going.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It is highly unlikely Oilers gonna make it next year.

There were 3 lucky things that helped Edmonton to reach the finals this year:
1) Vegas ended up in another division bracket and faced Dallas
2) Vancouver had no experience this year and had 4th goalie in the net
3) Dallas was dead tired after beating two previous SC winners in a row.

It does not mean Oilers is a bad team and does not deserve to play in the finals. It means exactly what I said - they were lucky.

Even Montreal were lucky recently and also reached the finals.

Luck is a factor in playoffs.

But that combination of luck is rarely happened with the same team year after year. So I seriously doubt that Oilers gonna beat for example Canucks next year with their full roster.
the Oilers have faced 3 straight division winners in the playoffs this year

last year Vegas faced 0 division winners

but you wanna talk about Oilers "luck" lol

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I firmly believe that McDavid will win the Conn Smythe, no matter what. The numbers slay everyone, including Bob. Bob's impact in the series is near Glenn Hall-ish, but look at his overall playoff stats and you see where I'm going.
Good thing you aren't a sports bettor lol

the Oilers have faced 3 straight division winners in the playoffs this year

last year Vegas faced 0 division winners

but you wanna talk about Oilers "luck" lol
Don't mind him. It was an awful take. The Oilers will be even better next year if we don't win

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
All Crosby has over Mcdavid at this point is “moments”

Golden goal

Hoisting Stanley cups etc.

Not enough to have him over mcdavid in my opinion but people will cling to this stuff.
So all he has is the major things that make you great?

I love McDavid, he’s definitely a better player than Sid ever has been. But come the f*** on.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's hilarious how this board can go from "McDavid has had a terrible finals" to "McDavid has had a better finals than Crosby ever had" just because McDavid put up some points in a blowout game :laugh:

MLB has a stat called "win probability added", but we can track that in the NHL on sites like MoneyPuck as well. McDavid had points on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th goals last night. In terms of win probability added, here's what those looked like:

4th: Increase by 6.5%
5th: Increase by 10.2%
6th: Increase by 0.02%
7th: Increase by 0%

And if you look at game 3, here were how McDavid's 2 points in the 3rd increased their odds at winning:

1st: Increase by 3.76%
2nd: Increase by 9.15%

For comparison, a "valuable" goal according to MoneyPuck seems to be adding a win probability of about 20%-25%. All of these points count, so you can't just say they didn't exist, but he's not putting up a lot of impactful points in this series. His overall stat line is good, but how much is he realistically helping the team if he's just putting up a bunch of points when the games are already over?

With Florida, people will now say that Bobrovsky doesn't deserve the Conn Smythe because he got pulled and that hurt his overall stats. But I personally don't think 1 bad game outweighs 3 terrific games, even if the stats suggest that's the case. If Bobrovsky has another strong game in game 5, I don't see how he doesn't win it. Yes, he had a shit game 4, but he has been absolutely massive for them winning the other games in the series.

1718557249196.gif

Reactions: Voight

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
So all he has is the major things that make you great?

I love McDavid, he’s definitely a better player than Sid ever has been. But come the f*** on.
It’s not nothing and it adds to the greatness but the fact you agree that mcdavid is a better player despite those things proves my point. Mcdavid beats him everywhere else

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The top 3 picks for Con Smythe are:
1 - Bob
2 - Bob
3 - Bob

There is no way on earth anyone else wins it. He's the reason Florida got up 3-0.
Barkov has been very good this series as well.. there is more to just scoring points .
Unless Bobrovski steals another game I have Barkov ahead of Bob.

1.Barkov
2.Bob
3.McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad