Hurricanes Lounge XXXV: Now Accepting Sponsorships for Thread Titles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
One of the biggest headaches with my mountain land was my road. 1/3rd mile uphill, windy, narrow dirt-gravel. Wet leaves just made it #!*#$*. Every fall was at least 2 weekend nightmares of leafblower and rake. After a goodly number of years I just paid a local guy to clear it for me.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
One of the biggest headaches with my mountain land was my road. 1/3rd mile uphill, windy, narrow dirt-gravel. Wet leaves just made it #!*#$*. Every fall was at least 2 weekend nightmares of leafblower and rake. After a goodly number of years I just paid a local guy to clear it for me.

Ah, the magical moment in one's life when time becomes more valuable than money.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Mrs. Hank uses a reverse blower that sucks the leaves up and mulches them.

I don't do shit to leaves, because leaves ain't never done shit to me.
I still use a rake. I get done in about half the time it takes to use a blower. Blower is less effort, sure, but once the leaves start to pile up a bit, the blower is a pain in the ass.

Reactions: skipnjump

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Congrats.

I had an interview a couple months ago for the first time in 6 years. The guy apologized to me and said “Sorry- we have to ask this of everyone…what makes you weird?”

You get any questions like that?

I've literally told an interviewer that "I legitimately consider being called "nice" an insult, because if that's the best thing they can say about you it means they think you're incompetent".

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I still use a rake. I get done in about half the time it takes to use a blower. Blower is less effort, sure, but once the leaves start to pile up a bit, the blower is a pain in the ass.

Screw all that raking, I just run the lawnmower over everything. Less labour intensive and good for the lawn.

Ah, but then the question becomes “what does it mean to use your time well?”

I’m finding that the higher I climb the corporate ladder, the more I’m craving outdoor physical labor. :laugh:

I feel the same way. I manage large automation projects but I can only spend so much time tied to my desk. As much as possible I try to get out on the floor and pitch in to help out my team. I genuinely like working with my hands so I miss it a lot of the time. It just doesn’t pay nearly as well :laugh:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Light leaves = rake
Heavy leaves = mower + bag

A couple years ago we had a bad storm roll through right at the prime time leaves were starting to drop. The wind was blowing all my neighbors big trees towards my yard, and damn near every leaf dropped off them into my (fenced in) back yard in 1 day. No joke, my entire back yard was under 6"+ of leaves like snow...took me like 3-4 hrs to rake/bag then mow/mulch/bag once it was lighter, and my back yard is probably like 2500 sq ft

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I'm in need of a new laptop for general use - web surfing, streaming, Excel, etc. I want something light, 13-14" 1080p display, and good battery life. I don't need anything fancy but want something that's going to last 5+ years. Was looking at this Acer model but also considering a MacBook air. I'm a bit hesitant as it's more than I really want to spend and I've not used Apple computer before but they get rave reviews and I like my iPhone and iPad. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: MinJaBen

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm in need of a new laptop for general use - web surfing, streaming, Excel, etc. I want something light, 13-14" 1080p display, and good battery life. I don't need anything fancy but want something that's going to last 5+ years. Was looking at this Acer model but also considering a MacBook air. I'm a bit hesitant as it's more than I really want to spend and I've not used Apple computer before but they get rave reviews and I like my iPhone and iPad. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
I’ve had a MacBook Air since 2016 and I love it. It’s the same as when I pulled it out of the box. Would be perfect for everything you listed. Since I’m not in school anymore it’s just a glorified web browser for me now but I don’t foresee needing a new computer for several years.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I’ve had a MacBook Air since 2016 and I love it. It’s the same as when I pulled it out of the box. Would be perfect for everything you listed. Since I’m not in school anymore it’s just a glorified web browser for me now but I don’t foresee needing a new computer for several years.
Apple will probably stop offering you upgrades at some point before those several years are up, though, and push you to buy a new laptop. My wife has a Macbook Pro that would still service hardwarewise, but she hasn't been getting new upgrades for a while now and more and more websites are nowadays refusing to work because of the expired security certificates.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Apple will probably stop offering you upgrades at some point before those several years are up, though, and push you to buy a new laptop. My wife has a Macbook Pro that would still service hardwarewise, but she hasn't been getting new upgrades for a while now and more and more websites are nowadays refusing to work because of the expired security certificates.

How long has she had her MacBook?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I have had MacBook Pros for the better part of the last decade and they have been great. I've heard great things about the MacBook Airs as well, but I always wanted a dedicated graphics card for work and gaming.

With that said, one thing that might make me not use them in the future is the move to their own silicon. From what I've read, they are wicked fast, but I think most game studios will no longer move their games to the Apple OS due to the extra cost to port the games from Intel chips to the new Mac chips. There is no guarantee that is the case, but I wouldn't buy one now if you want to use your laptop for that. If that is not an issue for you, they do really hold up for a long time on everything else.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
When I was younger, my Dad paid us to rake the leaves, since he hated doing it. He would then compost the leaves. Then he got smart and got a mulching mower which took care of the issue right there.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I finally got the medical bills for the car accident.

Mind you, I was (somehow) perfectly OK after the crash. They checked me out at the scene and basically said "Yeah, you seem OK, but you flipped your car so we recommend riding with us to the hospital to make sure there's no internal issues going on." And I agreed, because yeah, that makes sense.

So I got to the hospital, they ran X-rays, blood/urine samples, etc for about 2 hours, then told me "Yep, you're somehow OK. We're going to keep you here for another 2 hours for observation, then you can go."

So for an ambulance ride + 4 hours of hospital time to tell me the same thing I knew at the scene of the crash: $8k

...Super

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Mind you, I was (somehow) perfectly OK after the crash. They checked me out at the scene and basically said "Yeah, you seem OK, but you flipped your car so we recommend riding with us to the hospital to make sure there's no internal issues going on." And I agreed, because yeah, that makes sense.

So I got to the hospital, they ran X-rays, blood/urine samples, etc for about 2 hours, then told me "Yep, you're somehow OK. We're going to keep you here for another 2 hours for observation, then you can go."

So for an ambulance ride + 4 hours of hospital time to tell me the same thing I knew at the scene of the crash: $8k

...Super
Please tell me you have insurance.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Please tell me you have insurance.

Thankfully yes. They've paid their part, but are still leaving me with a hefty chunk of change to pay off. I'll probably end up delaying the payments as much as possible and hoping that when they send that final "Hey pay this or legal stuff happens" notice, I'll have built my bank account back up a bit.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

...Super

Ugh. Am I correct that a way too high portion of that way too high bill is just the ambulance ride? That's brutal man, I'm sorry.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Good point. My parents have an Apple desktop from before 2010, not sure on exact date, that still runs but it’s rather slow and clumsy. Can’t get them to get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad