OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The fact of the matter is, Musk made ragebaiting on Twitter a very popular (and profitable) occupation. By offering everyone the ability to buy the blue checkmark and allowing users to get paid based on the engagements of their tweets, some out there have realized that there’s no better way to draw engagement than by being an absolutely terrible person.

I’m not going to post any of their tweets, but the best example I can think of the person with the username of “Garbage Human.” Quite literally posting racist tweet after racist tweet, and the comments of said tweets are often arguments between those who agree with said tweet and those who find it offensive. This “Garbage Human” is making money off those arguments either way, so why not continue to post the things that draw that engagement?

Yeah the aptly named "Garbage Human" is a particularly egregious example. He skirts the "hate speech" rule by not actually typing hateful words, but he posts memes that are way, way over the top vile racism.

IDK how much he actually monetizes it. Fortunately his stuff is never in my feed and I only see one if somebody I follows comments on it.

by comparison, the account "Fight with Memes", which has like 100k less followers, is in my feed all the time. And while their memes are considered "edgy", I think they are pretty pedestrian.

So, I get that many people won't be satisfied until X goes back to a platform that immediately bans accounts wholesale and suppresses any political (or medical) views that don't comport with the MSM narrative, there appears to be some effort at tamping down on the worst of the worst.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Our flight leaving Phoenix was delayed three hours due to mechanical issues after we had already boarded. Jump through hoops to get on different flight and airline so we can arrive tonight in Raleigh. Board new flight and…..flight is delayed due to mechanical issues.
Thats some final destination shit, get a room and get home tomorrow

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'd much rather argue about hockey trades, Kotkaniemi, and BBQ on HF boards.
Independent here too.....I'm not saying it's not worse....I'm just saying that I don't notice it as I always thought it was mostly filled with shitty, petty, back and forth by idiots:D....Wasn't it John Milton who said to know good, you have to know evil (see Paradise Lost)?

I jest....okay no, I don't. I must have lived on the darker side of Twitter....hence my thought that the difference doesn't register as it has always been an exersize in sifting rhrough the manure to find the magic mushroom.

All that said, what I like better about old pre-Musk Twitter was that I could get my news and sports scores there w/little effort...not no mo.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I think Narcan awareness day should precede it.

Maybe “Narcan Eve”? You know some people are going to celebrate Fent awareness day like it’s Xmas.
Not to make light of a real bad situation but if we are going to put the flag at half mast for every "major issue that could kill us as humans" awareness day the flag would never reach the top of the pole!

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
"….. entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At ….., ……., ….. and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
20240829_192017.jpg20240829_192022.jpg20240829_192026.jpg

Finally enjoying Beach vacation 🙌

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
It only happened once, but there was a time I got _XXXX on my second guess and still lost, because there were about half a dozen words with those letters.

You're not automatically using all correctly placed letters in repeated guesses, are you? I know people who do that and it's inefficient if there's not a good chance your next guess will be correct. One could alternatively use those spaces to find the other unidentified letters in the word.

ex: first guess
WATCH [all letters correct except W]
There are 6 other possibilites for the first letter, B, C, H, L, M, P
Instead of guessing the individual potential letters and hoping to get lucky, find words that contain as many as possible.
CHAMP either identifies the correct first letter or narrows it down to B or L.

Note that I'm not necessarily directing this post at you tarheel, but rather as a potential help to anyone who may be playing the game the same way I did when I first started.

edit: AD posted after my last refresh, lol.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
that's why you think of different words using multiple unused letters to find out which letter it is rather than guessing 1 letter at a time...

You're not automatically using all correctly placed letters in repeated guesses, are you? I know people who do that and it's inefficient if there's not a good chance your next guess will be correct. One could alternatively use those spaces to find the other unidentified letters in the word.

ex: first guess
WATCH [all letters correct except W]
There are 6 other possibilites for the first letter, B, C, H, L, M, P
Instead of guessing the individual potential letters and hoping to get lucky, find words that contain as many as possible.
CHAMP either identifies the correct first letter or narrows it down to B or L.

Note that I'm not necessarily directing this post at you tarheel, but rather as a potential help to anyone who may be playing the game the same way I did when I first started.

edit: AD posted after my last refresh, lol.

^If you’re not playing on hard mode you can do this.

Switch to hard mode like an adult.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don’t really play it often, what is hard mode?

Hard mode is a toggle on the options screen. When it’s on, it means you must use all previous clues in all subsequent guesses. (Yellows have to be in subsequent guesses, greens have to be in subsequent guesses in the correct place.)

It explicitly exists to not let you do the “letter elimination” strategy you’re suggesting.

(My original post was playfully aggressive not really aggressive.)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Hard mode is a toggle on the options screen. When it’s on, it means you must use all previous clues in all subsequent guesses. (Yellows have to be in subsequent guesses, greens have to be in subsequent guesses in the correct place.)

It explicitly exists to not let you do the “letter elimination” strategy you’re suggesting.

(My original post was playfully aggressive not really aggressive.)
If I play again it will be child mode lol

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
YOU KNOW WHAT.

ANOTHER EPISODE OF UNDERHATED COUNTRIES.

Anyone asked? No. DO I CARE. Also, NO.

HERE GOES JAPAN.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasf***/s/LVSpRQ4zmM

Change the “***” for “uck”

Attachments

• IMG_0301.png
    IMG_0301.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0302.png
    IMG_0302.png
    95 KB · Views: 2

Ad