OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There's no hidden meaning or point. I just brought it up because I thought it was cool.
The thought of something being that powerful is literally unimaginable to me. If 12.something is 100 trillion tons of TNT (which is already in the WTF territory), having records of something 20^10x more powerful than that out there in the universe is mind-blowing.
"Since the dawn of time- mankind has yearned to destroy the sun" - Montgomery Burns
I know, I had a small cow when a friend texted me to say he was at the Pixies/Modest Mouse show this summer. I had completely missed it, but he sent me some video and gave me some opinions during the show. They’re all old af and the show mostly sucked. I’m lucky to have seen both when I wanted to and they were young.

The singer from Modest Mouse was the most inebriated performer I’ve ever seen live….like 15 years ago.

I actually saw the Pixies like 10 years ago at DPAC and they sounded pretty good. Although Kim Deal's replacement was not so great. And Frank Black acted kinda petulant during the show.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Earth Wind & Fire with Chicago are gonna be at Walnut Creek this August....the 12th I think, but could be off by a day or three.
Saw that show, Phillip Bailey carries the vocals for both bands and kills it. The horns together are amazing.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Today was my last day of work..starting my early retirement journey. I will very much miss my workmates around the globe but so looking forward to regular sleep!

Severe dog days have set in. Up here in the mountains, we are averaging 3 strong t-storms a day. I have been caught in a downpour almost daily..no Piña Coladas though.
Congratulations!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Today was my last day of work..starting my early retirement journey. I will very much miss my workmates around the globe but so looking forward to regular sleep!

Severe dog days have set in. Up here in the mountains, we are averaging 3 strong t-storms a day. I have been caught in a downpour almost daily..no Piña Coladas though.
Welcome to the seven day weekend club! Congrats.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
"Since the dawn of time- mankind has yearned to destroy the sun" - Montgomery Burns

I actually saw the Pixies like 10 years ago at DPAC and they sounded pretty good. Although Kim Deal's replacement was not so great. And Frank Black acted kinda petulant during the show.
Saw the Pixies in 92 when they were still together, then in maybe 09? That was for the Doolittle tour which was one of their first reunion attempts with Deal. Both were great shows. Saw Frank Black solo around the same time as the reunion tour and that was a good show too. Really small venue. He told a great story about being on that tour with his teenage son who worshipped Kobain/Nirvana but was bored by the Pixies and was completely annoyed by anyone who was excited to talk about them or his Dad. I immediately thought of an old interview in Rolling Stone I had read (and kept) that had an interview with Kobain where he had admitted he was afraid to put “Smells Like Teen Spirit” on the album and use it as a single because it was so heavily influenced by (and in his mind a blatant rip off of) “Gouge Away” by the Pixies. It made him borderline ashamed they had gotten so popular from it. I hadn’t thought much of Kobain until I read that article, as I loved the Pixies and he was in general very honest. Black then referenced that same interview and said he’d spent a significant amount of time chasing his son around the house with the interview in his hand trying to get him to read it….which his son always refused. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Saw the Pixies in 92 when they were still together, then in maybe 09? That was for the Doolittle tour which was one of their first reunion attempts with Deal. Both were great shows. Saw Frank Black solo around the same time as the reunion tour and that was a good show too. Really small venue. He told a great story about being on that tour with his teenage son who worshipped Kobain/Nirvana but was bored by the Pixies and was completely annoyed by anyone who was excited to talk about them or his Dad. I immediately thought of an old interview in Rolling Stone I had read (and kept) that had an interview with Kobain where he had admitted he was afraid to put “Smells Like Teen Spirit” on the album and use it as a single because it was so heavily influenced by (and in his mind a blatant rip off of) “Gouge Away” by the Pixies. It made him borderline ashamed they had gotten so popular from it. I hadn’t thought much of Kobain until I read that article, as I loved the Pixies and he was in general very honest. Black then referenced that same interview and said he’d spent a significant amount of time chasing his son around the house with the interview in his hand trying to get him to read it….which his son always refused. :laugh:

Saw them in VA in ... 91? Maybe 92? They opened for Love and Rockets and stole the show. I had never heard of them before that.

Welcome to the seven day weekend club! Congrats.

To quote Les Claypool:

"Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean so much. Except you get to hang out with your working friends."

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Saw them in VA in ... 91? Maybe 92? They opened for Love and Rockets and stole the show. I had never heard of them before that.

To quote Les Claypool:

"Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean so much. Except you get to hang out with your working friends."
I saw them open for U2 at the old Boston Garden on St Patty’s day. It was really close to them breaking up. I was in a band at the time that was mostly covers and probably half the covers were Pixies songs, including Gouge Away. We’d all have a look of glee in our eyes right before we played it, knowing we were going to alienate anyone listening to us but it was going to be fun.

I work a different schedule that rotates through the week so I get weekends off sometimes and other times the week. I have completely lost touch of week vs weekends and kind of prefer having the week off. Skiing, playing golf, grocery shopping….all things I would generally never do on the weekends anymore.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I work a different schedule that rotates through the week so I get weekends off sometimes and other time the week. I have completely lost touch of week vs weekends and kind of prefer having the week off. Skiing, playing golf, grocery shopping….all things I would generally never do on the weekends anymore.
Ditto. Industrial shift work with two morning shifts, two evening shifts, two night shifts, four days off and then all over again. The weekends are effectively meaningless to me.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ditto. Industrial shift work with two morning shifts, two evening shifts, two night shifts, four days off and then all over again. The weekends are effectively meaningless to me.
Mines similar with 2 days on, 4 days off. As in I’m there for 48 hrs straight then 4 days off, so it’s a six day rotation in the seven day week. I often don’t know without thinking about it what day it is, I typically only know how many days I’m into my four day. As in I’ve got two more before I go back.

Last edited:

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City

Been retired 15 years and have never been bored. Hope you can enjoy doing nothing but daydreaming at times. I know a few peers who get to antsy.

Was up in Linville area a couple weeks ago. Rained every day we were there.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

How the hell do you establish any sleep pattern if you're continually alternating between evening, night, and morning shifts? Sleep during the day regardless of which shift you're on?

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
How the hell do you establish any sleep pattern if you're continually alternating between evening, night, and morning shifts? Sleep during the day regardless of which shift you're on?
Sub-30 y.o. me:
the nights before morning shift: 10.30 pm - 4.45 am
after 1st morning shift: maybe an hour of nap
after 2st morning shift: definitely an hour of nap
the nights before evening shift: regular night's sleep
before the night shift: 1.5 hour nap
after the night shift: 6.45 am - 2 pm
the off-days: regular day-off sleep

45 y.o. me (now):
the nights before morning shift: sometime after the midnight - 4.45 am
after the morning shifts: maybe a poor nap
the nights before evening shift: regular night's sleep
before the night shift: can't really nap even if wanted to
after the night shift: 6.45 am - 11.30 am max
the off-days: regular day-off sleep

50-something me:
probably dead (so sleep is good)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
20240803_160709.jpg

Found a bunch of drunk British people.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Been retired 15 years and have never been bored. Hope you can enjoy doing nothing but daydreaming at times. I know a few peers who get to antsy.

Was up in Linville area a couple weeks ago. Rained every day we were there.
My bestie left work in early Jan and was back at it via consulting by March. I have travel and sports stuff through most of the year, at least.

The rain is wild. My sis and I wanted to try some new trails but my fear of lightening and mud slides has delayed the plan.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I did this for years when I lived in Charlotte. I was also a heaavy gamer then so.... Also army skill is you can sleep anywhere, any time.

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Although I understand the Pixies to be the Godfather of alternative rock (and I first heard them on the soundtrack of "Pump up the Volume") I never thought "Gouge Away" was anything remotely like "Smells like teen spirit". Like I get Nirvana was inspired and influenced by them, but I don't see a blatant rip off. Then again, Cobain was always too much of a navel-gazer...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Although I understand the Pixies to be the Godfather of alternative rock (and I first heard them on the soundtrack of "Pump up the Volume") I never thought "Gouge Away" was anything remotely like "Smells like teen spirit". Like I get Nirvana was inspired and influenced by them, but I don't see a blatant rip off. Then again, Cobain was always too much of a navel-gazer...
It’s the concept more than the actual song I suppose. A bass line driven verse with a similar chord progression that starts quiet with almost no guitar that builds intensity towards the chorus then explodes into that chaotic chorus then starts all over again. The chord progression stays the same through the chorus….through the whole song. Normally there’s a bridge and a chorus with different chord structures but with these two songs not one single note changes through out the entire tune. The only thing that changes musically is the intensity of how they play that same progression over and over. So simple but really effective when done right. I’d say “Smells” is a rare popular song that way, same four chords over and over. The idea of dynamics has been common in guitar driven rock for a long time now obviously but the Pixies had a special ability with it and dynamics in general. Their documentary is called “loudQUIETloud”….

As a guitar player I saw the connection musically through the maintained chord progression and the very similar dynamics….and pretty similar vocal approaches to the chorus. “Smells” sounds like something written by Kobain that’s trying to not to rip it off but is directly influenced by it, basically an homage with a mildly different chord progression and lyrics. I often did that myself with my heroes when I was trying to come up with my own music so I always felt like I understood where he was coming from when he said it. Even if you came up with something “different” that someone wouldn’t necessarily notice you know you overdid it. I think his admission is him saying if he had heard “Smells” as a fan he’d say it’s a Pixies rip off, because of how he looked at song writing in his genre.

Two songs that screamed Pixies to me in general are “Aberdeen” by Cage the Elephant and “I’m tired of having sex” by Weezer. With the first it’s hitting you in the face from the first note to the last, with the second it’s when the band kicks in and he does his geeky roar as the wall of sound hits you. Weezer also did a cover of the Pixies “Velouria” which is excellent and shows they loved the band. It was a on a tribute record to the Pixies.

Ps. The “remix” of “Wave of Mutilation” that’s on that “Pump up the Volume” soundtrack was one of my early favorite Pixies songs, I tended to like it more than the standard version. That was a great soundtrack…good call!

As for the navel gazing im with you, he really wasn’t a favorite of mine. In my world that year it was Nirvana vs Pearl Jam and I leaned a little towards Pearl Jam on the first big records. Better musicians, I thought better songs and they played better live….and far less brooding and taking yourself too seriously.

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium