OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIV: The Previous Thread Has Been Cancelled

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
high 80s in Winston today which... actually this is nice, happy birthday to me as far as that goes.

On another note, I definitely successfully met and exceeded my goal from last year. At the start of college football season I weighed in at 235 and wanted to be under 200 by the time I hit 43.

Weighed in this morning at 186.
Happy Birthday! It's my birthday too!

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think we have a soccer thread somewhere but i can’t find it and the USMNT sucks tight now. URGAY is makinv them look like f***ing clown shoes.

I know nothing about soccer (because I'm American :sarcasm:), but I thought it was understood that the US men's national team is always kind of bad, but the US women's national team is excellent. Mostly because many of the countries that are typically good at soccer aren't very big on women playing sports...or doing much of anything.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I know nothing about soccer (because I'm American :sarcasm:), but I thought it was understood that the US men's national team is always kind of bad, but the US women's national team is excellent. Mostly because many of the countries that are typically good at soccer aren't very big on women playing sports...or doing much of anything.
This is all true, but they dont always look like hot garbage. They also just got completely screwed on VAR review again and I’m totally baffled

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I think we have a soccer thread somewhere but i can’t find it and the USMNT sucks tight now. URGAY is makinv them look like f***ing clown shoes.

I mean, the USMNT lost to Trinidad and Tobago in that infamous game that knocked them out of World Cup contention. That right there should have been the indicator that USMNT isn't very good. I guess talent wise they aren't bad but whenever I watch they don't play as a team.

I didn't know this, the coach got his professional start in Raleigh playing for a team called the Flyers back in 1993.

Pretty much. I'm not trying to take anything away from USWNT but other countries they play against barely at best fund women's soccer.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
it's the coaching. The talent level is there but Berhalter is just a f***ing god awful game planner coach. Sometimes he'll get it right (England WC match, draw vs Brazil in the leadup to Copa) but when he gets it wrong it's f***ing UGLY (draw vs Wales, Columbia and Netherlands blowing us off the pitch, last night) and he gets it wrong more than he gets it right. They had the chance to bring in someone competent after the last WC cycle and pissed that away. Thankfully there's still 2 years until the World Cup to shitcan his ass and bring in somebody that knows what the f*** they're doing at the international level after this embarrassment of a Copa showing.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
it's the coaching. The talent level is there but Berhalter is just a f***ing god awful game planner coach. Sometimes he'll get it right (England WC match, draw vs Brazil in the leadup to Copa) but when he gets it wrong it's f***ing UGLY (draw vs Wales, Columbia and Netherlands blowing us off the pitch, last night) and he gets it wrong more than he gets it right. They had the chance to bring in someone competent after the last WC cycle and pissed that away. Thankfully there's still 2 years until the World Cup to shitcan his ass and bring in somebody that knows what the f*** they're doing at the international level after this embarrassment of a Copa showing.
Olympics begin this month, so humiliations against France, New Zealand, and Guinea incoming.

Reactions: Tryamw

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

I just read something this morning saying US Soccer is going to do a "comprehensive review" following this latest cock-up. So some consultants will make a lot of $$$, and if it's like the last time this was done, they'll just ... rehire Berhalter anyway.

And, re the women's team: the rest of the world has caught up, and the US winning is no longer a safe bet.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So I've finally been summoned for jury duty in 3 weeks. Not that I'm excited about it, just surprised I haven't been summoned sooner, almost like Mecklenburg County forgot I existed 😅

So because I know you all care :laugh:. I had to report, got into a "pool", but did not serve.

My ass hurts. Those courtroom benches are harder than old church pews.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Like, say, Jesse Marsch!

Oh wait...

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad