Huberdeau or Strome?

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

arsmaster*

Um...traditionally speaking the OHL has produced the best NHL players so I would say OHL > WHL > QMJHL

Ignorance.

"traditionally" you take the goalie from the Q, the defensman for the W, and the forward from the O.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ignorance.

"traditionally" you take the goalie from the Q, the defensman for the W, and the forward from the O.

Take another look. You'll see that the OHL has produced the best, and most, NHL caliber players of the three.

arsmaster*

Take another look. You'll see that the OHL has produced the best, and most, NHL caliber players of the three.

I dont need another look, it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that CHL league determines who makes better NHLers.

I dont doubt that the OHL produces some great players, but great players can come from any league, and they do.

The best player in the NHL hails from the "Q".

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dont need another look, it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that CHL league determines who makes better NHLers.

I dont doubt that the OHL produces some great players, but great players can come from any league, and they do.

The best player in the NHL hails from the "Q".

I never said that great players couldn't come from any league. I was just pointing out that the OHL has produced the most (at the very least recently) that's all. Great players come from everywhere and I don't agree with picking a player based solely on the league name that they come from.

SENSational Sens Fan

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary
Jonathan Huberdeau vs. Ryan Strome

Throughout much of the season, we have heard much about the supposed "Big 4", in RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, and Couturier. But how would you compare the other two high-end forwards, Huberdeau and Strome, both of whom have rocketed up the rankings throughout the season, based on:

Character:
Defensive awareness:
Goal-scoring ability:
Hands:
Hockey IQ:
More likely to be a captain in the NHL:
Offensive upside:
Play-making:
Shot:
Skating:
Speed:
Strength:
Vision:
Overall upside:

Any input would be appreciated! :handclap:

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Thanks for this thread, I think Sens fans all want/need to know the answers from people who have seen these guys enough to comment. I'll be reading responses for sure.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Character: Huberdeau (Strome is immature)
Defensive awareness: Huberdeau
Goal-scoring ability: Huberdeau
Hands: Strome
Hockey IQ: Huberdeau
More likely to be a captain in the NHL: Huberdeau
Offensive upside: Huberdeau
Play-making: Huberdeau
Shot: Strome
Speed: Strome
Strength: Huberdeau
Vision: Huberdeau
Overall upside: Huberdeau

4thliner*

Character: Huberdeau
Defensive awareness: Huberdeau
Goal-scoring ability: Huberdeau
Hands: Strome
Hockey IQ: Huberdeau
More likely to be a captain in the NHL: Huberdeau
Offensive upside: Strome
Play-making: Strome
Shot: Strome
Skating: Strome
Speed: Strome
Strength: Huberdeau
Vision: Strome
Overall upside: DRAW

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
From the Sens board...

So in stead of dirty goals he puts in NHL caliber slappers and nice shots. He has one highlight reel dangle and people seem to think that means he tries too many "CHL type moves."

It doesn't change that Strome put up more points on a worse team in a better league. IMO he has better vision, passing, and shooting. He's not "soft" either, as he can sometimes be chippy...but he isn't a Landeskog either. Huberdeau really is just the flavour of the month because of the playoffs. But I'm sure that if Strome played for Saint John this year he would have put up ridiculous points.

The bottom line is many scouts have issues with Strome's willingness to fight through traffic, at least in comparison to Huberdeau. And another way to look at is Strome scored less goals than Huberdeau in a higher scoring league. Not sure how he's a better goal scorer. I'm actually not sure Strome doesn't anything clearly better other than skate faster in a straight line. They are very close in a lot of respects.

As to the flavour of the month, many have been hyping Huberdeau all season, just like Strome. They have followed similar paths actually, moving up throughout the season to the top 10, with both starting in the 20-30 range for the most part. It's only over the last month that Huberdeau has pulled ahead basically (although only slightly I'd say).

But the real key here to me is what has been going on over the last 4-6 weeks - the playoffs. Huberdeau did more on the ice in one game versus Mississauga tough D than Strome did in an entire series. That after being terrific against Gatineau's vaunted trap, which shut down Couturier early in the post-season. In the playoffs, Huberdeay has clearly elevated his play scoring nearly a goal a game and being a highlight real every night against the best the Q has to offer. Strome saved his worse play of the season for the post-season, even before the Mississauga series. He had the worst +/- on the team for the playoffs and the team couldn't really count on him to carry the offence like he had in the regular season. I don't put too much stock in this, because Strome is terrific, but that's one of the differences the scouts are noting when comparing the two. Bartshci had a terrific playoff too, but I'd still prefer Strome.

I like Strome, and I have no problem with us taking him at 6 if the other top 4 forwards are off the board. But you tend to get pretty defensive about him any time Huberdeau comes up, especially considering you have been down on Huberdeau for so long. It sounds like his post-season success is driving you crazy.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
How do some of you know that Huber has better character than Strome? :huh: Is there a article or something I missed.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
How do some of you know that Huber has better character than Strome? :huh: Is there a article or something I missed.

Character is hard to judge because there is no clear definition of character. On ice character would be hardworking type of guy that always play hard and compete & off ice character would mean how they carry themselves vs media, practise schedule, in the gym, with their teammates, coach, etc.

I have only heard praises from Huberdeau off the ice as he is a very bright kid that do all the things required by his coach. He also seems to be appreciated by his teammates. On the ice he is always competing and he can create a game changing play everytime he is on the ice.

As for Strome I got no clue...

4thliner*

We don't really know who is going to be the best but potential wise, there is no question that Huberdeau wins it without even looking behind!

I dont think ANY prospect in this draft has more potential than Strome. That is why i said he and Huberdeau are tied.

BUT of the big 5 forwards, he is the most risky. Not complete bust risky but Tim Connolly style risky as in that type of game not being terribly effective in the NHL. But one thing about Strome is he is a FAR better shooter than Connolly was.

That said, Huberdeau is and will most likely be the better player away from the puck. I could definitely see Strome being the better purely offensive player. The more exciting player of the 2.

They don't compare Strome to the dancing Dennis Savard more than any other prospect to come around for some time for no reason. Dude is wildly flashy and off your seats type of a player.

Last edited by a moderator:

arsmaster*

Huberdeau's winner last night was elite...that thing got to the roof in a hurry.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Huberdeau's game will transfer better to the NHL IMO. I see Strome as being a 30-30+ guy in the NHL. I think Huberdeau will be a 30-60 guy.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
Huberdeau's winner last night was elite...that thing got to the roof in a hurry.

It was not elite by any stretch. Nice accuracy and you have to give him credit for putting that shot right where he wanted to with that kind of pressure on him, but it took him forever to settle that puck down and get the shot off. There was nothing elite about his release on that shot.

If you want to point to an elite clutch shot, look at Huberdeau's game-tying goal against Gatineau. Or Jurco's goal to tie last night's game.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
It was not elite by any stretch. Nice accuracy and you have to give him credit for putting that shot right where he wanted to with that kind of pressure on him, but it took him forever to settle that puck down and get the shot off. There was nothing elite about his release on that shot.

If you want to point to an elite clutch shot, look at Huberdeau's game-tying goal against Gatineau. Or Jurco's goal to tie last night's game.

:shakehead Anything to discredit Huberdeau. Let me gues, Grimaldi is better?

arsmaster*

He settled a rolling puck and put it in a tea cup....to me that is elite, and its not like it was soft either.....there isnt a goalie in the world who stops that shot.

I would really like to know your definition of "forever"....it was pretty bang-bang to me!

Watched the highlight again....puck hits his stick, lays flat and goes to the roof in a tiny window.....less than a second.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

It was a puck that crossed his body, so he had to settle it. When was the last time you saw a one-timer to a left handed shot come from their right side? Of course he had to settle it - guys in the NHL don't one time those. Good grief.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
It was a puck that crossed his body, so he had to settle it. When was the last time you saw a one-timer to a left handed shot come from their right side? Of course he had to settle it - guys in the NHL don't one time those. Good grief.

I guess I've been spoiled by watching elite scorers in junior settle pucks and get their shots off much quicker than Huberdeau did.

He settled a rolling puck and put it in a tea cup....to me that is elite, and its not like it was soft either.....there isnt a goalie in the world who stops that shot.

Binnington expected Huberdeau to get that shot off a lot faster than he did. Had he realized that he would have had as much time as he did, he would have gotten into better position and stopped that shot.

It's funny how people overlook glaring flaws when they're swept up in hype.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
So Huberdeau only scored because he didn't get his shot off fast enough, but he also got it off too slowly...?

Blame Subban

Galchenyuk
Aug 10, 2009
Montreal
I guess I've been spoiled by watching elite scorers in junior settle pucks and get their shots off much quicker than Huberdeau did.

Binnington expected Huberdeau to get that shot off a lot faster than he did. Had he realized that he would have had as much time as he did, he would have gotten into better position and stopped that shot.

Scoring nice goals is a glaring flaw now?

Ok

Edit : And it being an OT goal makes it that much big a flaw.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I haven't seen the goal but from what I've heard/read it was pretty nice. No need to discredit it by nitpicking at split-second differences.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

you, sir, are out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad