Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
1) Defenseman that can put up points are hard to find
2) Defenseman that can put up points get paid

Hope we understand these 2 things moving forward.
yes but him and hughes would be a solid defensive pair lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Wisp

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
yes but him and hughes would be a terrible defensive pair lol
Oh yeah, I would not pair those two up.

Just saying I thought with this improved defensive play this year he was looking like a pretty comparable player to what Rafalski gave us in the 2010's, and Rafalski signed a deal that was worth 6M with back then. So 7-8 for Hronek with this current cap is pretty 1:1 to that. I can understand if people didn't want to pay that out, but I think his value is around that on an open market.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Oh yeah, I would not pair those two up.

Just saying I thought with this improved defensive play this year he was looking like a pretty comparable player to what Rafalski gave us in the 2010's, and Rafalski signed a deal that was worth 6M with back then. So 7-8 for Hronek with this current cap is pretty 1:1 to that. I can understand if people didn't want to pay that out, but I think his value is around that on an open market.
And if Hronek was like that all season I could understand it. But the Jekyll and Hyde year he had with Maatta as the Hronek Whisperer makes me skeptical that he can repeat anything similar in Vancouver. We'll see, but I'm glad it's somebody else paying that out.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And if Hronek was like that all season I could understand it. But the Jekyll and Hyde year he had with Maatta as the Hronek Whisperer makes me skeptical that he can repeat anything similar in Vancouver. We'll see, but I'm glad it's somebody else paying that out.
If by Hronek whisperer you mean first decent player he got to play with, then sure.

Left side of our defense has been absolute shit for years.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If by Hronek whisperer you mean first decent player he got to play with, then sure.

Left side of our defense has been absolute shit for years.
Based on health and usage this year, I'm assuming he will be paired with OEL or Luke Schenn in Vancouver. Not exactly the cream of the crop either.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I won't even comment from a wings pov even tho reading his thread on their forum most seemed to love him, right up until he was traded, then of course he sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I won't even comment from a wings pov even tho reading his thread on their forum most seemed to love him, right up until he was traded, then of course he sucks.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Hronek was one of the most divisive players. He produced, yes, but his defensive efforts were spotty and inconsistent. As a result, opinions on him ranged.

If I had to generalize, I think most fans thought he was in the "good not great" camp and getting value from a player that was more a luxury than a core player makes sense moving forward. Hronek isn't a bad player, not at all, but he also didn't fit the vision Yzerman has for his #2 RD.

Hopefully that helps you navigate this thread with a little less chip on that shoulder.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Detroit now needs another RHD, and pretty badly. However, it's not a huge rush given that we aren't competitive and won't be for a little while yet. We can afford to flounder around with 5 LHDs looking silly as hell while this forum does its best interpretation of the cartoon dog in a fire meme saying, "everything is fine" for a bit.

Ultimately, Yzerman will surely be on the lookout for another RHD of the future, whether that be via draft or trade. The long-term need is very much underrated on this board full of LHD-lovin' turkeys.

NYR are going to have to have to pay some people. Maybe a slightly used Troubadour is finally on the way.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Oh my sweet summer child.

Hronek was one of the most divisive players. He produced, yes, but his defensive efforts were spotty and inconsistent. As a result, opinions on him ranged.

If I had to generalize, I think most fans thought he was in the "good not great" camp and getting value from a player that was more a luxury than a core player makes sense moving forward. Hronek isn't a bad player, not at all, but he also didn't fit the vision Yzerman has for his #2 RD.

Hopefully that helps you navigate this thread with a little less chip on that shoulder.
I took a gander at the Nucks forum, and what I found was that a lot of the information they think they've extracted from Wings fans regarding Hronek does not really line up at all with what I've seen on this forum over the years. The idea that Wings fans loved Hronek until he was traded and then turned on him is pretty pervasive over there. Almost like one guy said some BS and a bunch of others decided to run with it.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
NYR are going to have to have to pay some people. Maybe a slightly used Troubadour is finally on the way.
Ha, I like Trouba a lot, but I think most of this forum would lose their damn mind if Detroit acquired him. I doubt he leaves NY though, being their captain with a NMC and all.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
1) Defenseman that can put up points are hard to find
2) Defenseman that can put up points get paid

Hope we understand these 2 things moving forward.

1. Defensemen who put up points AND defend well get paid more.
2. Defensemen who put up points and defend well are far more valuable to team success.
3. There is not a single contending team in the NHL that has a defenseman that is good offensively but a poor defender. (Even non-contender Edmonton traded Barrie and it’s done wonders for Bouchard.)

Give me a #3 defender that’s good for 30 points and solid D any day over a 50 point liability.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I took a gander at the Nucks forum, and what I found was that a lot of the information they think they've extracted from Wings fans regarding Hronek does not really line up at all with what I've seen on this forum over the years. The idea that Wings fans loved Hronek until he was traded and then turned on him is pretty pervasive over there. Almost like one guy said some BS and a bunch of others decided to run with it.
1678927935643.png

Someone needs to link this over there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1. Defensemen who put up points AND defend well get paid more.
2. Defensemen who put up points and defend well are far more valuable to team success.
3. There is not a single contending team in the NHL that has a defenseman that is good offensively but a poor defender. (Even non-contender Edmonton traded Barrie and it’s done wonders for Bouchard.)

Give me a #3 defender that’s good for 30 points and solid D any day over a 50 point liability.
1) No shit
2) Beyond Seider, we don't know if we are going to have defenseman than can do either yet. Think it's pretty obvious we don't move the puck on the back end as well since Hronek has left. If you are expecting guys like Wallinder and Johansson to be great in their own end, all I will say is... we'll see. I think Edvinsson ends up being good in his own zone, but even he has a ways to go still. You want to ice guys like Chiarot, Maattta, etc every night well then I hope you had fun during the Quincey/Dekeyser/etc era in Detroit. Cause it's just that but part 2. (better players but equal puck movers)
3) That's BS and you know it. Carolina has Ghost on their team. Avs won with Girard last year. There have been other cases where teams have pure offensive guys. And assuming this is a shot at Hronek, he was literally not even that bad defensively this year.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Morgan Rielly, Brent Burns, Addison, and Durzi all beg to differ from top 10 teams. Theres plenty of teams that have poor defensive good offensive dmen. We can stop with the hyperbole. Theres more than one way to skin a cat and having an iffy defensive player that can produce high end offense is prefectly fine in today's NHL. You can prefer a 30 point guy and I might not blame you but I'm sure some GMs disagree

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
They said if it were playoffs, he would play, and that the games they had him play were just to get a look at him. Doesn't need surgery, sounds just precautionary. Plus it helps them kinda soft-tank, like many teams are doing, including Detroit.

Reactions: Rubinsco17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad