How you would fix the Flyers (FOR FUN)

AFTeRMaTH*

First let me say. This is for fun. Posters that are just going to get upset dont read anymore, just leave the thread now. This website is filled with non-realistic proposals so its not like this is anything different.

Now for fun. Come up with a plan to fix your Flyers. Try and make it as realistic as possible. If value is off on a trade let someone know and they can edit their post.
MY PLAN:
I am going to say Hextall wants to get his own players on his team and will do a full rebuild. I hope that he realizes that you can't win without a great defense and the only way to get a great defense is through the draft. The days of winning the free agency period are over. In a salary cap league you have to draft and develop your own players. Holmgren left this team in a mess with zero cap room. He(maybe with pressure from Snider) tried to throw a ton of money at big names hoping it would make the team a contender. It made us worse. My plan here is to try and contend in say 3-4 years.

MOVES :

Trade Giroux to the Predators for Seth Jones, Filip Forsberg, and Pontus Aberg.
(Yes I traded Giroux. I only did this because he will be 30 by the time we are ready to contend in my plan. Not that 30 is old, but I wanted to acquire a hopefully top flight d-men in Jones and Giroux was the only option.)
(I have a hard time valuing Forsberg, someone posted Jones and Forsberg for giroux on the trade boards and Preds fans denied it. I think they are wrong though. I think we might even get Fiala out of them too but went with Aberg to be on the safe side)

Trade Simmonds to the Canadians for Nikita Scherbak, 2015 1st, and Jacob de la Rose.
(I love Simmonds, him and Voracek are my favorite Flyers. But 3-4 years down the road when we would be ready I think Scherbak would be better than Simmonds, and whoever we got with the Habs pick, also JDLR is a very solid prospect)

Trade Coburn for Ryan O'Reilly.
(This is another tough one because I also want to move Coburn for a young defensemen prospect like Coburn and Read for Nurse or something like that. But, then I realize we got Jones and still have our 4-5 solid d-men prospects)

Trade Streit for 2015 1st round pick
(This one I have a very hard time valuing Mark Streit. Obviously I traded him because he will be ready to retire probably when this team will contend. I think a desperate team would be willing to move a 1st for him at the trade deadline. Streit is a great player that can help a team score from the blue line. If Im wrong on the value here Im sure someone will tell me)

Trade Lecavalier for 2015 5th round pick
(I have no idea what his value is, and frankly I dont care. I just dont want him in the Orange and Black. GET HIM OFF MY TEAM! I played it safe and went with a 5th round pick, let me know what you think we can get for him)

Trade Umberger for 2015 7th round pick
(I think we will probably have to get someone back for salary reasons, but hopefully with an expiring contract. Like Lecavalier, I hate him. Played it safe with a 7th round pick.)

Trade MacDonald for 2015 2nd round pick
(I may be a little optimistic here but I think we can get a 2nd from MacDonald. I dont mind him that much but I hate his contract. Have from day one. Hope we can get rid of him. Went with a 2nd round pick.)

Trade Grossmann for 2015 3rd round pick
(Might be a bit high too, but I think a playoff team might throw a 3rd our way for some depth on the blue line.)

Trade Raffl for 2015 2nd round pick
(I think we could get a 2nd for him considering he is cheap, and can really play anywhere. I dont really want to move him but I figured we should try and get as many picks as possible)

Trade Read for 2015 3rd round pick
(Like Raffl, Read can play pretty much anywhere and Im sure a team looking for depth would give us a 3rd)

Some of these trades would be made at the draft and some at the trade deadline.
That leaves us with :
(IM NOT SAYING WE PLAY THESE GUYS NEXT YEAR, WE OBVIOUSLY WOULD HAVE SOME CHEAP, SHORT TERM DEAL GUYS BEFORE THEY ARE READY, WE WOULD ALSO HAVE A TON OF PICKS FROM THE 2015 DRAFT, AND WE COULD SIGN ANY FREE AGENT WE WANTED REALLY, SO DONT KNOCK THIS ROSTER BECAUSE THIS ISNT IT)
Forsberg - O'Reilly - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Scherbak
Cousins - Laughton - Aberg
Leier - De La Rose - Aube-Kubel
Lindblom

Jones
Morin
Hagg
Sanheim
Ghost
Alt
MDZ
Schenn

Mason

The following picks in the 2015 draft:
1st
1st from Simmonds deal
1st from Streit deal
2nd from MacDonald deal
2nd from Raffl deal
3rd
3rd from Read deal
3rd from Grossmann deal
4th
4th
5th
5th from Lecavalier
6th
7th
7th from Umberger

Yeah it sucks, but it would be fun watching this team grow up and at least we would have A PLAN.

With all those draft picks we could fill up the Phantoms as well and then we can actually let our players develop in the AHL for a while like the Red Wings do.

Also with our team being young and hopefully being resigned before free agency we could go after some free agents, I wouldn't go after the big time guys because the contracts always suck but lets just say this would give us some flexibility.

Now go ahead and knock me all you want. I really dont care. I know this is so unrealistic but Im trying to have a little bit of fun here because this team sucks.

Now lets see everyone else' plans.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Your Avatar reminds me of when somebody added a stick figure of McDavid.....that is who we need to start righting this listing ship....or at least a top three pick. Then of course we need our D prospects to develop in overdrive...I honestly can't wait until Sanheim makes this squad.

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
First let me say. This is for fun. Posters that are just going to get upset dont read anymore, just leave the thread now. This website is filled with non-realistic proposals so its not like this is anything different.

Now for fun. Come up with a plan to fix your Flyers. Try and make it as realistic as possible. If value is off on a trade let someone know and they can edit their post.
MY PLAN:
I am going to say Hextall wants to get his own players on his team and will do a full rebuild. I hope that he realizes that you can't win without a great defense and the only way to get a great defense is through the draft. The days of winning the free agency period are over. In a salary cap league you have to draft and develop your own players. Holmgren left this team in a mess with zero cap room. He(maybe with pressure from Snider) tried to throw a ton of money at big names hoping it would make the team a contender. It made us worse. My plan here is to try and contend in say 3-4 years.

MOVES :

Trade Giroux to the Predators for Seth Jones, Filip Forsberg, and Pontus Aberg.
(Yes I traded Giroux. I only did this because he will be 30 by the time we are ready to contend in my plan. Not that 30 is old, but I wanted to acquire a hopefully top flight d-men in Jones and Giroux was the only option.)
(I have a hard time valuing Forsberg, someone posted Jones and Forsberg for giroux on the trade boards and Preds fans denied it. I think they are wrong though. I think we might even get Fiala out of them too but went with Aberg to be on the safe side)

Trade Simmonds to the Canadians for Nikita Scherbak, 2015 1st, and Jacob de la Rose.
(I love Simmonds, him and Voracek are my favorite Flyers. But 3-4 years down the road when we would be ready I think Scherbak would be better than Simmonds, and whoever we got with the Habs pick, also JDLR is a very solid prospect)

Trade Coburn for Ryan O'Reilly.
(This is another tough one because I also want to move Coburn for a young defensemen prospect like Coburn and Read for Nurse or something like that. But, then I realize we got Jones and still have our 4-5 solid d-men prospects)

Trade Streit for 2015 1st round pick
(This one I have a very hard time valuing Mark Streit. Obviously I traded him because he will be ready to retire probably when this team will contend. I think a desperate team would be willing to move a 1st for him at the trade deadline. Streit is a great player that can help a team score from the blue line. If Im wrong on the value here Im sure someone will tell me)

Trade Lecavalier for 2015 5th round pick
(I have no idea what his value is, and frankly I dont care. I just dont want him in the Orange and Black. GET HIM OFF MY TEAM! I played it safe and went with a 5th round pick, let me know what you think we can get for him)

Trade Umberger for 2015 7th round pick
(I think we will probably have to get someone back for salary reasons, but hopefully with an expiring contract. Like Lecavalier, I hate him. Played it safe with a 7th round pick.)

Trade MacDonald for 2015 2nd round pick
(I may be a little optimistic here but I think we can get a 2nd from MacDonald. I dont mind him that much but I hate his contract. Have from day one. Hope we can get rid of him. Went with a 2nd round pick.)

Trade Grossmann for 2015 3rd round pick
(Might be a bit high too, but I think a playoff team might throw a 3rd our way for some depth on the blue line.)

Trade Raffl for 2015 2nd round pick
(I think we could get a 2nd for him considering he is cheap, and can really play anywhere. I dont really want to move him but I figured we should try and get as many picks as possible)

Trade Read for 2015 3rd round pick
(Like Raffl, Read can play pretty much anywhere and Im sure a team looking for depth would give us a 3rd)

Some of these trades would be made at the draft and some at the trade deadline.
That leaves us with :
(IM NOT SAYING WE PLAY THESE GUYS NEXT YEAR, WE OBVIOUSLY WOULD HAVE SOME CHEAP, SHORT TERM DEAL GUYS BEFORE THEY ARE READY, WE WOULD ALSO HAVE A TON OF PICKS FROM THE 2015 DRAFT, AND WE COULD SIGN ANY FREE AGENT WE WANTED REALLY, SO DONT KNOCK THIS ROSTER BECAUSE THIS ISNT IT)
Forsberg - O'Reilly - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Scherbak
Cousins - Laughton - Aberg
Leier - De La Rose - Aube-Kubel
Lindblom

Jones
Morin
Hagg
Sanheim
Ghost
Alt
MDZ
Schenn

Mason

The following picks in the 2015 draft:
1st
1st from Simmonds deal
1st from Streit deal
2nd from MacDonald deal
2nd from Raffl deal
3rd
3rd from Read deal
3rd from Grossmann deal
4th
4th
5th
5th from Lecavalier
6th
7th
7th from Umberger

Yeah it sucks, but it would be fun watching this team grow up and at least we would have A PLAN.

With all those draft picks we could fill up the Phantoms as well and then we can actually let our players develop in the AHL for a while like the Red Wings do.

Also with our team being young and hopefully being resigned before free agency we could go after some free agents, I wouldn't go after the big time guys because the contracts always suck but lets just say this would give us some flexibility.

Now go ahead and knock me all you want. I really dont care. I know this is so unrealistic but Im trying to have a little bit of fun here because this team sucks.

Now lets see everyone else' plans.

I stopped reading after the Giroux trade proposal just because if that was on you're mind you'd have to be committed to tanking for McDavid, good strategy I like it.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, most of these trades are just wishful thinking...

Vinny and Umberger both have negative value, so we won´t get anything of value for them but will have to add big time... Or take back a cap dump with a similar bad contract...

AMac won´t fetch a 2nd rounder right now, even with a better contract. Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road when the Cap is up and his contract doesn´t look as atrocious.

The picks for Grossmann and Raffl are at least one round too high.

And Coburn probably won´t get you O´Reilly, and even if, the new contract that he´ll want already scares me. And our management would probably even be willing to give him the term and amount...

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
So you dump Giroux, Simmonds, and Streit but keep the Schenn brothers?

None of your values really make any sense at all. Most are heavily, heavily overvalued. And I doubt any GM on this planet (at least in the sport of hockey) would tank this hard.

Realistically, I'd dump the Schenn brothers, Grossmann, Vinny, and Umberger and pick up some crappy and cheap UFA's and just get through the next few years. Hope for a decent draft pick and flounder through 2015/2016 and hope by then our defensive prospects are decent enough for us to contend.

AFTeRMaTH*

So you dump Giroux, Simmonds, and Streit but keep the Schenn brothers?

None of your values really make any sense at all. Most are heavily, heavily overvalued. And I doubt any GM on this planet (at least in the sport of hockey) would tank this hard.

Realistically, I'd dump the Schenn brothers, Grossmann, Vinny, and Umberger and pick up some crappy and cheap UFA's and just get through the next few years. Hope for a decent draft pick and flounder through 2015/2016 and hope by then our defensive prospects are decent enough for us to contend.

Its all for fun. Brayden is 4 years younger than Giroux. My strategy is all about being a serious contender in like 4-5 years. So I traded away guys that will be older and more expensive in 4-5 years. The reason I made this thread was so people can share plans, realistic or unrealistic, it doesn't matter. I just want this team to have a plan instead of throwing stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. Thats how the team has been running for the last several years and its not working.

AFTeRMaTH*

Yeah, most of these trades are just wishful thinking...

Vinny and Umberger both have negative value, so we won´t get anything of value for them but will have to add big time... Or take back a cap dump with a similar bad contract...

AMac won´t fetch a 2nd rounder right now, even with a better contract. Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road when the Cap is up and his contract doesn´t look as atrocious.

The picks for Grossmann and Raffl are at least one round too high.

And Coburn probably won´t get you O´Reilly, and even if, the new contract that he´ll want already scares me. And our management would probably even be willing to give him the term and amount...

Vinny and Umberger we got a 5th and a 7th in my plan. I see that as being possible. Hell, the Oilers fans offered a bunch more but he wouldn't waive to go there. Raffl is probably a bit too high, Grossmann we might be able to get a 3rd. Amac one was very tough to figure out. But like I said this is for fun. If Montreal wants to seriously go for it this year then maybe they would be willing to move that package for Simmonds. Theres others that would work for my plan too. Say STL gives us Fabbri and Barbashev for Simmonds?

AFTeRMaTH*

I stopped reading after the Giroux trade proposal just because if that was on you're mind you'd have to be committed to tanking for McDavid, good strategy I like it.

Honestly, someone else posted that Giroux trade on the trade board. Its very unrealistic but its all for fun. I added Aberg to it because I think they'd have to add to Forsberg and Jones. But getting Jones would make our defense much better in the future. And yes in my plan we come out with a TON of draft picks in the 2015 draft. 3 in the 1st. In my OP, Im really hoping we get one of McDavid, Eichel, or Hanifin.

Even if we didn't get McDavid or Eichel and got Hanifan, imagine having

Jones
Hanifan
Morin
Sanheim
Hagg
Ghost
as our future d-core. Good lord

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I think we should just suck for the rest of this year.
Try to trade some expendables at the Deadline, Draft, and offseason.
Get a new coach.
The thought of Giroux being 30 makes me really sad though.

AFTeRMaTH*

I think we should just suck for the rest of this year.
Try to trade some expendables at the Deadline, Draft, and offseason.
Get a new coach.
The thought of Giroux being 30 makes me really sad though.

Well since this is for fun make up some proposals of the guys you want to move.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Trades:

Giroux, B. Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Raffl, Mason, Read, Coburn, MacD, Laughton, Voracek, Streit, PEB.

Return: 3 tasty cheeseburgers apiece.

Reason: After I've locked the remaining roster inside the nearest abandoned coal mine, they'll have an assortment of tasty cheeseburgers to eat for a couple days. After that, their food source is either 1) each other, or 2) provided for life if they agree to retire.

This also gives plenty of room for up and coming prospects to fit in the roster.

Downsides: We may not be a very good team afterwards. I'll have to crunch some stats on this, but I'm pretty sure these moves would set us back a little.

Lesson to be learned here: It is recognized that I have a funny sense of fun.

tumblr_maet0q30ZA1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

IceHot

Jan 14, 2003
Redneck Riviera
Visit site
the fix is simple

Since they tampered with those who played well together they caused a problem with other lines scoring, somewhat because we no longer have 4 hard to defend against lines making it tough to defend against for teams.

Go back to placing Raffl on the first line so Schenn can get 2 lines going with Simmonds going again on the seond line and Bellamare- seemed to gel and allowed for more depth in the 4 lines.
Laughton Couturier Read as the third more defensive line
and VL getting mainly powerplay time with 4th line duties sometimes jumping in on the first or second line.
Umberger I have no idea what we do with and I have no idea who fits our 4th line anymore.

The only trade I'd try is a hail mary-
Coburn and the Schenns for Tyler Hall. If they refuse then what would they give for either defender.

Place Streit with Colo,
MDZ with Shltz (because they compliment each other)
McD with whoever isn't traded or one of the ahlers
It's all about bringing back the chemistry that worked and finding new chemistry on those players that didn't click.
Like Finding the defender(s) that clicks with MCD and finding who can get the Ole VL back and that would be someone like Raffl if we trade for a first line LW.

If getting the ole lines back doesn't work then you clean up the few nonessential parts and loose ends and let your team slide and become in the running for talent in the draft, but without selling the farm, since we have almost all the pieces just not the right combos.
Some players would best serve other teams, just not ours.

AFTeRMaTH*

Not a bad idea, but I guess Im just thinking we are always going to be in mediocrity until we get a #1 defenseman. Lets say with our current roster and prospects. How long until one of our dmen prospects can become a #1 or #2? I just think its smart to plan ahead. So trade off assets like Streit while they have value because they won't be around when our D prospects hopefully develop. Thats just where I came up with all these trade ideas because we could PILE UP ASSETS in that time we are waiting for our D to develop. Then when they are ready we will a bunch of young players and players like Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton ready to roll. I think GMs today have to trade away guys that are just being wasted kind of for pieces that will help you when your team is ready.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Coburn won't return ROR by himself, and Simmonds won't return Scherbak, DLR, and a 1st by himself.

It also seems much more likely to me that Giroux at 31 >>> B. Schenn at 28.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
In terms of fixing the Flyers, I wouldn't do anything until a week or two before the trade deadline. A couple of reasons why I'd wait until then has to do with the fact that the Flyers could start a bidding war with teams in terms of the players they'd have available and teams who believe they are contenders have no qualms spending lots at the trade deadline.

In terms of players I'd put up for auction, there are four who I think could generate a great return and speed up the retool process - Coburn, Streit, Read and (God help me for suggesting thing) Simmonds.

Here's the caveat though - anyone getting moved within the East, the asking price would be really high. For instance, any and all deals with teams in the East would have to include a young roster player, one of the team's top prospect and a high draft pick. In the case of the defensemen, a first round pick is an absolute must.

In terms of moving a player to the western conference, the asking price would be a young roster player and one of the team's top prospects. In the case of the defensemen, draft picks would also need to be added, but not necessarily their first.

I'm sure some will say that you can't move any of those four, but at the same time, you can't move crap nobody wants. The moment you make some good players available, teams are willing to listen and in the case of some, are willing to mortgage quite a bit if they feel said player can help put them over the top or prevent another team from acquiring them.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If you trade Giroux, and Simmonds you can kiss Voracek goodbye. He will not resign here.

Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek and Laughton are the only three players than IMO need to remain here.

I don't think Couturier will ever become an offensive threat, so I would not be against getting a really good return for him in a trade.

Braydon Schenn isn't that good. He just isn't. Don't let the points fool you, I still don't want him.

Our defense is of course, totally expendable.

My trades:

Coburn

for

ANA 1st, Etem

Mark Streit

for

Late 2015 1st at deadline (Now call up Hagg)

Read

for

Late 2015 1st at deadline (don't trade him unless this is the return)

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If you trade Giroux, and Simmonds you can kiss Voracek goodbye. He will not resign here.

Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek and Laughton are the only three players than IMO need to remain here.

I don't think Couturier will ever become an offensive threat, so I would not be against getting a really good return for him in a trade.

Braydon Schenn isn't that good. He just isn't. Don't let the points fool you, I still don't want him.

Our defense is of course, totally expendable.

My trades:

Coburn

for

ANA 1st, Etem

Mark Streit

for

Late 2015 1st at deadline (Now call up Hagg)

Read

for

Late 2015 1st at deadline (don't trade him unless this is the return)

So, trade the team's two best defensive players and second best defensive forward...?

The value of the returns aren't bad, but those moves will make the team worse for the next two years, which creates a more difficult situation to transition the young defenseman, etc.

While I get that Coburn and Streit are the only two defenseman who can return late 1sts, I think it is a mistake to trade them. They will be very useful supporting players to the younger guys going forward.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Do not move list:

GIROUX
Voracek
Couts
Schenn
Laughton
Simmonds

Ugh that list is terrible haha

Coburn I have been saying move him for the last year or two now trying to get a massive return(which I think we could get one). Streit needs to stay I think, if we move Coburn and Streit we all do realize we have MacDonald as our guy grooming our young defenseman coming in right? That's not going to work.

Grossmann, Schenn, Vinny, and Umberger just all need to go for whatever. Their price in getting them is a sunk cost, we just need to get over the fact we lost the trades or it was a terrible signing and get rid of them. Vinny is going to be the hardest one to move. I do not want to buy him out. His contract is a killer as a buyout. I would try to retain as much salary as I could and get rid of him. Retain 2 million for we don't have to deal with his contract for 6 years.

Calgary would be interested in Read, they have been before. I think they might regress though so they probably wouldn't trade a first rounder for him. Try to get a 2nd and a prospect for him.

Coburn to Anaheim, Dallas, Edmonton, San Jose, and others would be the teams I would target. You can get a top prospect+1st rounder for him I believe. If it's a bottom dwelling team a 2nd rounder+2nd rounder and a top prospect.

It's going to be a tough season and even if we do finish last we only have a 20 something chance of getting #1. We need to have a lot of luck on our side.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Also, if we somehow move out three or more of the salaries of Umberger, Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann and Pronger, target Boychuk majorly. Go hard for him. He is a very good #2 defenseman who is underrated. He would instantly be make our defense better.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Also, if we somehow move out three or more of the salaries of Umberger, Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann and Pronger, target Boychuk majorly. Go hard for him. He is a very good #2 defenseman who is underrated. He would instantly be make our defense better.

I think he's more of a #3---but yeah, he would be a useful piece. But you're basically talking $5.5 or so as an absolute floor for his AAV.

Also, the Flyers are already one of the slowest teams in the league. Moving Coburn won't help that.

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
Trades:

Giroux, B. Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Raffl, Mason, Read, Coburn, MacD, Laughton, Voracek, Streit, PEB.

Return: 3 tasty cheeseburgers apiece.

Reason: After I've locked the remaining roster inside the nearest abandoned coal mine, they'll have an assortment of tasty cheeseburgers to eat for a couple days. After that, their food source is either 1) each other, or 2) provided for life if they agree to retire.

This also gives plenty of room for up and coming prospects to fit in the roster.

Downsides: We may not be a very good team afterwards. I'll have to crunch some stats on this, but I'm pretty sure these moves would set us back a little.

Lesson to be learned here: It is recognized that I have a funny sense of fun.

tumblr_maet0q30ZA1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Plain Cheeseburgers????

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
After we draft Mccdavid, Couts becomes expendable.

Couts+Coburn+MacDonald for Skinner and CAR 2015 1st

Trade L. Schenn, Grossmann, Vinny, Umberger for Picks

We draft Hanifin with Carolina's Pick.

Sign Beauchemin to a 2 year/12 mil contract.

Jeff Skinner - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
Brayden Schenn - C McDavid - Wayne Simmonds
Michael Raffl - Scott Laughton - Matt Read
Taylor Leier - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Nick Cousins
Zac Rinaldo

Mark Streit - N Hanifin
Samuel Morin - Michael Del Zotto
Shayne Gostisbehere - Francois Beauchemin

Steve Mason
Ray Emery

By the way Im not serious.

Sort of.