How you would fix the Flyers (FOR FUN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If we get McDavid/Eichel, Couturier or Laughton immediately becomes expendable. Couturier could bring in a very good young defenseman.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If we get McDavid/Eichel, Couturier or Laughton immediately becomes expendable. Couturier could bring in a very good young defenseman.

Eh, I'm not so sure it has that immediate effect. Neither of those guys are going to come in and take the absurd defensive minutes Couturier has.

I think it would be more likely to make B. Schenn expenable. Those guys can ease into the lineup on the wing and move to center in a few years.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I wonder if Lecavalier would waive for Dallas? They are desperate for secondary scoring, perhaps desperate enough to take a chance that he reboudns in a 2C role (assuming they want to keep using Spezza at 1C with Seguin on the wing).

Flyers could take back either E. Cole ($4.5, expiring) or S. Horcoff ($5.5, expiring).

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I wonder if Lecavalier would waive for Dallas? They are desperate for secondary scoring, perhaps desperate enough to take a chance that he reboudns in a 2C role (assuming they want to keep using Spezza at 1C with Seguin on the wing).

Flyers could take back either E. Cole ($4.5, expiring) or S. Horcoff ($5.5, expiring).

Sounds like a possibility. But, I can't see us getting rid of Lecavalier without giving up something.

Maybe

Lecavalier
2016 4th round pick

for

E. Cole

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly

Definitely. I went after Skinner because of all the D prospects we have on the way, but honestly that trade is unrealistic. Going after a young dman would be a good idea.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If, and only if, the Flyers truly implode for the next few months and are so far down in the standings that they are guaranteed a top-2 pick...

Giroux for Jones, Fiala, 2015 1st, 2016 1st is something that might be worth considering, simply as a matter of value.

Schenn - McEichel - Simmonds
Fiala - Couturier - Voracek [I love the idea of this line]
Raffl - Laughton - Read
Umberger - Lecavalier - Rinaldo

Coburn - Jones
MacDonald - Streit
Gostisbehere/Hagg - L. Schenn
Schultz

EDIT: Forgot MDZ.

Short-term
- Trade Grossmann for the best pick you can get at the deadline.
- Try to dump Lecavalier and Umberger as well.
- Listen on Read / Coburn, but only deal them for a substantial overpayment
- Consider moving MacDonald if there's a taker.

Long-term:
- Three of Morin/Sanheim/Gostisbehere/Hagg combine with Jones in the top-four, replacing MacDonald, Streit, and Coburn (over time, not immediately).
- Leier, NSH 2015 1st provide some potential depth forwards.

* Alternative--same scenario (bottom-2 gaurantee) but trade Giroux to Winnipeg for Kane, Trouba, and a 1st.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

We are pretty set on very good young dmen. I would keep couturier since he rounds out the forward group and set Vinny adrift in the ocean.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's way too early to make Giroux proposals. Especially to Winnipeg. Don't forget he has a NMC.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
It's way too early to make Giroux proposals. Especially to Winnipeg. Don't forget he has a NMC.

Oh I completely agree. I don't think things are as bad long-term as others. I just threw in the Winnipeg idea because they are one of a few teams that could pull off a Giroux deal without killing their team.

For the record, I belive Giroux's NMC kicks in after the season, but I could be wrong.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
On the blue line, Coburn, Grossmann and Luke Schenn need new addresses. They're all going to be FAs after next season and the Flyers aren't going to re-sign them at even their current rates. Its a shame that Ghost if injured or I'd bring him up. He's not ready but still he's capable of doing some of the things that this bunch can't do. Alt is healthy now so he could be brought up. Go with Streit, AMac, MDZ, Alt, Schultz, Cola and Hagg if trading the three defensemen doesn't bring back someone that can play back there for the rest of the season. Its too early for Hagg but so what. This season is toast anyway.
Up front aside from Giroux, Vorachek, and Laughton everyone is available. It would be difficult to move Coutourier and Simmonds but if the return was good, it might have to be done. If a team wants Schenn take a lesser return but have either Umberger or LeCavalier as part of the deal. Promote Leier and Cousins and maybe Straka.
Get rid of Emery and get another back up in the dealing.
Fire Berube and his staff except for Reese as of yesterday. Hire Doug Jarvis as the new coach.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I can't see Nashville parting with these assets for Giroux, even if he is worth it. This is the first time Nashville has come out smoking hot in the regular season and are putting up big offensive numbers. They have a coach that is working well for them and bringing out the best in all their young players. I can't see a GM like Poile, who has never made a major shake up, deciding that the first year their team is looking like a serious top tier team, unloading that many pieces to get Giroux. Maybe in the offseason if their offense hits a major brick wall, but even then I doubt it.

Obviously dumping Vinny, Umberger, AMac will be good, but I can't see too many teams willing to trade for them without us eating some of their salary or taking a bad contract in return. But if we can find a team, to even just give us a 7th rounder, then we should take it.

Me personally, I'd be willing to trade every roster player we have outside G, V, Simmonds, Schenns, Couts, Read. Coburn and Streit would take a fairly big return for me to move either of them too. Everyone else I'd deem is pretty much expendable. None of the players left will bring much of a return but it'd open up a lot of salary and lots of roster spots for next season.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Trade Luke Schenn, Vincent Lecavalier (10% retained) and Michael Raffl, 2nd Round Pick 2015 for Alex Burrows, Ryan Stanton and Hunter Shinkaruk,3rd Round Pick 2015

Trade Nick Grossmann, Matt Read for Michael Ferland and 2nd Round Pick 2015

Sign Chris Stewart 2 Year 6.75M

Sign Anti Niemi 2 Year 7M

Buyout R.J Umberger

Resign Bellemare & Coliacovo

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Couturier-Burrows
Ferland-Laughton-Stewart
Rinaldo-Bellemare-Leier

Morin-Streit
Gostisbehere-Coburn
Stanton-Macdonald
Coliacovo

Mason
Niemi

Last edited:

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Trade Luke Schenn, Vincent Lecavalier (10% retained) and Michael Raffl, 2nd Round Pick 2015 for Alex Burrows, Ryan Stanton and Hunter Shinkaruk

Trade Nick Grossmann, Matt Read for Michael Ferland and 2nd Round Pick 2015

Sign Chris Stewart 2 Year 6.75M

Sign Anti Niemi 2 Year 7M

Buyout R.J Umberger

Resign Bellemare & Coliacovo

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Couturier-Burrows
Ferland-Laughton-Stewart
Rinaldo-Bellemare-Leier

Morin-Streit
Gostisbehere-Coburn
Stanton-Macdonald
Coliacovo

Mason
Niemi

Thoughts?

You have way more versatility in the lineup...

Simmonds-G-Burrows
Schenn-Couturier-Leier
Ferland-Laughton-Stewart

Why are we paying 3.5 to niemi to play backup?
And that seems like an awful lot for Stewart.
And there is no way Vancouver touches that proposal. Why would they? Raffl and Burrows are similar. They're taking on a huge useless turd in Vinny. And minorly upgrading from Stanton to Schenn. And all it costs them in Shinkaruk.

edit: and now you have them giving up a draft pick too.

I also don't think Morin would be ready for 1st pairing minutes in his first year.

Second trade doesn't seem too terrible. I don't know much/anything about Ferland though.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The only time I would consider trading Giroux would be if we got the 1st overall pick and someone gave us a ridiculous offer for Giroux.

We are pretty set on very good young dmen. I would keep couturier since he rounds out the forward group and set Vinny adrift in the ocean.

I am okay with keeping Couturier, but we do have a small hole at RD. Most of our highly touted prospects are Left defenseman, and I am sure Ghost, or Sanheim could slide to the Right side, but there is still a hole. I would maybe like to use a 2nd (if we acquire one) on a good RD.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Vinny and Umberger we got a 5th and a 7th in my plan. I see that as being possible. Hell, the Oilers fans offered a bunch more but he wouldn't waive to go there. Raffl is probably a bit too high, Grossmann we might be able to get a 3rd. Amac one was very tough to figure out. But like I said this is for fun. If Montreal wants to seriously go for it this year then maybe they would be willing to move that package for Simmonds. Theres others that would work for my plan too. Say STL gives us Fabbri and Barbashev for Simmonds?

If we could move Umberger or Vinny for even a 7th round pick, they would be gone faster than *insert lame joke here; ex.: ice cream in hell*

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The flyers have a legitimate chance at a franchise changing prospect this year, and what I would do is do whatever I can to enhance the chances of that pick while not hurting this team for the future.

We are bad right now but if we part with streit and coburn we are going to be terrible.

Trade those guys for picks.

Brayden schenn is doing well , but i really believe he is a product of his line instead of someone who is making the line better. He would be much more valuable to another team as their 2nd line center......Edmonton.

Yakupov is the only player I would target from Edmonton, and now could be the only opportunity we have to get a player of his potential caliber.

If edm is a no go i would target evander kane from Winnipeg and use Brayden as the major piece to acquire him.

JayB

May 30, 2012
ummm.

Trade:
Grossman for pick
Umberger+pick for Clarkson(-15-25%) or pick
Lecavalier+pick for Clarkson(-15-25%) or pick
MacDonald+pick for Mike Richards(-15-25%)
Read for Stewart
Coburn for Phaneuf/Byfuglien
Streit+pick for Phaneuf/Byfuglien

Byfuglien-G-Voracek
Stewart-Schen-Simmonds
Clarkson-Couturier-Richards
Raffl-Bellemare-Rinaldo

Phaneuf-Gotisphere
Schen-MDZ
Hägg-Morin

Ad

Upcoming events