How would you rate Oiler's management performance this offseason now that we have to include offer-sheets into the equation.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rating of Oilers Management

• A+

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • A-

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • B+

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • B-

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • C+

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • C-

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • D+

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • D-

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kane - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Henrique
Foegele - McLeod - Brown
Holloway - Janmark - Perry
Carrick/Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg
Stetcher/VD

2025 3rd
2026 3rd

‐------------------------------------

Skinner - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Kane - Ryan - Podkolzin
Perry/Savoie/Jarventie

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stetcher
Kulak - Emberson
Brown/Kemp

2025 2nd
2025 3rd
2028 3rd

I'm sure I've missed names though.
That defense is vomit-worthy.

Reactions: barry halls

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Kane - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Henrique
Foegele - McLeod - Brown
Holloway - Janmark - Perry
Carrick/Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg
Stetcher/VD

2025 3rd
2026 3rd

‐------------------------------------

Skinner - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Kane - Ryan - Podkolzin
Perry/Savoie/Jarventie

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stetcher
Kulak - Emberson
Brown/Kemp

2025 2nd
2025 3rd
2028 3rd

I'm sure I've missed names though.
Thanks for doing this….

Which do you like better?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Thanks for doing this. I'm really not sure which lineup I like more. The obvious comment is that the original lineup has better D and the new lineup has better forwards.
I'm in the same boat.

Looking at the two, the new defense concerns me. But I think the team is good enough to carry it until they can find a deal for another defenseman.

Sort of feel like they side stepped so far.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Management also felt much differently about Ceci than this board did. So everyone here clamoring for an upgrade really had no bearing on why they didn't choose to send him out. They added depth for a deep run, which they made. Unfortunately Stetcher got hurt and was a non factor.

Now they don't have Ceci anymore, and are thin on the right side. I see no reason to think they aren't acutely aware of the situation and have no inclination to help shore it up.

If you have zero faith in management that's on you I guess. I'm not saying you're wrong. But so far they've done nothing to show me they don't have a plan.

So you think the plan was to lose Broberg and Holloway to offer sheets? I don't think so. This mgmt group was completely caught with their pants down, full stop. Why would you trust them to repair the damage that they themselves caused? You have a lot more faith than I do. Hopefully you are right, but RHS Dmen are pretty much the hardest thing to find at the TDL, so its a tall task to begin with.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Thanks for doing this….

Which do you like better?
I'm not sure. I think the second one looks worse. But I don't actually feel like the team really got worse.

If that makes sense.

I'm banking on them still bringing in another good defenseman at some point. If that doesn't happen then yeah, bad news bears.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I couldn't go to the As before because we didn't address our one major need of top 4 RD.

The offer sheets definitely seem like they gambled and loss, which is bad, but I really liked the Emerson and Pudkolzin deals.

But for managment, the possible outcomes of this upcoming year can wildly swing the hindsignt analysis of these moves, moreso than other years by a lot imo. They will seem like geniuses if Emerson and Podkolzin actually outperform Holloway and Broberg, which could happen if our new guys benefit from being on a better team. But, the flip side possibility is there. If our former plaeyrs do really well, a ton of people will be saying that it was really predictable, and then what we gave up for them will look like awful management.

I consistently don't do hindsight revision though. I think our management did good this summer, especially with the forward group. Plus we are well positioned to make mid season moves, which was set up this summer, so there's more to analyze still.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
So you think the plan was to lose Broberg and Holloway to offer sheets? I don't think so. This mgmt group was completely caught with their pants down, full stop. Why would you trust them to repair the damage that they themselves caused? You have a lot more faith than I do. Hopefully you are right, but RHS Dmen are pretty much the hardest thing to find at the TDL, so its a tall task to begin with.
I don't think the plan was to lose anyone. I think this off season and their handling of RFA's was the exact same as it's been for well...ever?

We can all argue about which rumors are true and false, but it seems like across the league most young RFA's are left until the last minute every summer. Or at least the majority.

Nobody had any issues with management going and getting Skinner and Arvidsson. It was all praise. Then the team got hit with TWO offersheets at once, and massively inflated caphits that neither player has shown to be even remotely worth yet. Maybe they decided to play hardball and come in low with the kids, but I highly doubt anyone would have expected Broberg to sign a 9 million dollar contract.

Saying it was a failure to lock him up sooner now that we know he was offered an insane amount of money doesn't seem quite right to me. If reports are true then one can reasonably argue. But all we have are a bunch of reports and nothing from the team or players. So I don't know.

I refuse to go from being happy about the off season to being pissed off and shitting on management simply because Armstrong made a move I've never seen before.

If Holloway thought 1.2 was an insult, to him I say good riddance. He had no track record or leverage to ask for a huge raise. I don't fault him for doing so, but I'm not mad at the team for not giving it to him. The big picture with Bouchard and Draisaitl can't be ignored, and overpaying 2 young prospects who showed well in a really small sample because they want more could hurt the team just as much as letting them go.

Last edited:

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Now that the dust has settled, I would rate it as a B+. Team found replacement players for both Holloway and Broberg on more team friendly deals. With the Ceci trade were able to squeeze STL for an extra pick. Team has cap flexibility to make additional moves either now or later.

I really like Embersons underlying numbers and am excited to see if he is as good as the advanced stats suggest. Curious move by Grier to part with him for Ceci.

Made the best of a bad situation. However the team put itsself in a vulnerable spot to begin with.

Reactions: fuswald

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Have to give Bowman credit. The big knock on Holland when he came here from Detroit was that he was awful at cap management and it turns out he was awful here too and learned nothing. Even little things like always giving a Kyle turris or Derek Ryan one extra year on the books.

Bowman had the same criticism from moves like Seth Jones. It's nice to see him indirectly acknowledge his failings previously and show he's going to not continue to make the same cap errors.

Hopefully the analytics moves Jackson made over the year start to reap benefits and one of these new dmen are our forslings on the cheap.

Reactions: Canovin

bolobow

May 3, 2006
I think 95% of that offer sheet damage happened well before the off-season. Holland insisting on over-ripening prospects and then blocking them with veterans. Those two should have been playing NHL games, but instead spent time in the press box and AHL. We're not in a position to pay for unproven players, but it was the management's fault to not give them a chance to prove themselves (until last playoffs). Didn't help that the Oilers fell behind this year and basically played do or die hockey all year.

Anyways, this offseason has been pretty dang good if we're just evaluating the decisions made since July 1. Even managed to squeeze a little extra comp from the offer sheet fiasco.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
It’s a B for me.
Love the veteran additions up front but the D is just older and getting worse outside of Bouchard continuing upward.

Savoie for mcloed was genius.

We are looking very old and I’m all for being all in the next 2 years but past that is very questionable. If Draisaitl and mcdavid resign long term alot of my worries will be soothed over, but in 2 years time it’s highly likely a good portion of our major contributors are going into a downward trajectory with aging nuge, hyman, ekholm, Kane, Henrique, and nurse with no real solid young talent to cover that outside of savoie and orielly

Let’s see who they get for 2RD at the deadline with accrued cap space and a bunch of 2nds/3rds

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Dismantled a historically good playoff Pk

Removed nearly half of the group of dmen that took you to game 7 of the cup final and didn’t replace them

Lost 3 of your fastest & youngest homegrown players without replacing them, and signed a 39 year old who can’t skate any more

That’s no better than a D or D- to me.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
The forwards are better, the defence are worse.
Kind of a wash, which isn't bad for a Cup finalist.
Looking back, we should have re-signed Holloway who brings more of what the team is lacking (speed and forecheck) instead of going after Skinner. Used the leftover capspace to re-sign Broberg or upgrade the D.
Like that we are out of LTIR.

Thomas Tatar

Adding legit top 6 players for Drai - A+
Keeping Brown-Henrique-Janmark - A+
Not signing Holloway to a reasonable deal - F

Extracting additional value out of the offer sheets by making moves to clear cap space while adding young players with upside - B

Not addressing 2RD (yet) - D

Turning McLeod into Savoie - A

Giving us cap flexibility to add in season (so far) - B

Overall - B-

Reactions: yukoner88

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Disregarding any controversial decision (or lack thereof) before the start of the off-season, I think they've done a pretty good job (including dealing with the offer sheets). I didn't think Bowman was the guy they would bring in, but he's here now. He hasn't done anything (given the timeframe) that I hate.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
B+ for me.

Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique, Janmark and Brown adds up front is huge. I didn't think we would be able to get 3 of 5.
Podkolzin for a 4th is great
Ceci for Emberson got us under the cap even with Kane not on LTIR and forced STL to add a 3rd + Fischer for free.

McLeod for Savoie was a win as well.

Walking away from 4.25Mx2 Broberg offer was smart management as well. We could have matched Holloway but there really isn't a roster spot left for him.

Would've been an A from me had we kept Desharnais instead of Brown.

Still hoping for a Fabbro and/or Askarov before season start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad