How would you rate Oiler's management performance this offseason now that we have to include offer-sheets into the equation.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rating of Oilers Management

• A+

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • A-

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • B+

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • B-

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • C+

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • C-

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • D+

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • D-

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
The consequences are baked in regardless of their "decision" at this point. There's no special manoeuvre available at this point to save themselves.
I misinterpreted your poll question as how would you rate them since the offer sheet. I now see you are asking, now that the offer sheet has occurre, how do you rate the entire off season - I think.

Still hard to judge. It was great in July, the bowman hire I’m on record as not liking. I’m frustrated they were in this offer sheet situation so there’s a deduction for that. But I do need to see what they are going to do before I can fully evaluate it.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
It was like a B or B+ initially now its a C-
I wasn't happy they didn't address RD and hoped Broberg would be it. Now they most likely going back to Ceci and a worse #7.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Unknown till Tuesday when we find out the response to the two offer sheets.

Holloway wants out due to the signings of Skinner and Arvedson on July 1st. This pushes him to the 4th line or AHL. He believes he is ready for more.

Broberg has wanted out since November.

It never should have gotten this far with them.
Then we have the Bowman guy being hired. Still hate it

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
For me its an A- given what they have done to date.

As for the offer sheets, those are so exceedingly rare (2 in the last 10 years, and one was simply a revenge offer sheet) that planning for them just makes very little sense. No team in a win now mode in their right mind would say we are not signing Ardvisson, skinner and Henrique on the chance someone puts in an offer sheet on unproven players. And no team should be signing RFAs to well above their value just to make sure they get signed before an offer sheet is presented.

Maybe offer sheets become more common, and then you have to have a strategy ready, but for now this is simply out of the blue and entirely unexpected. There is no planning for it.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
In the C range I guess, but still TBD. I like the forward group alot, but we are an injury away to Ekholm to being a dumpster fire on D. We have some Bouch bombs going on back there & that is actually it. The rest is meh. The offer sheets are a piss off too.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Started as an A but the Bowman signing dropped it down to a C and with the uncertainty of the offer sheets I give it a C-, we are going to get screwed one way or another.

Unless they pull off something out unexpectedly, I'll hold for at a C- for now.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Someone do a before and after type of lineup. Let’s pretend that the oilers didn’t sign any of the free agents and kept their own players (I.e Fogele, Mcleod, Broberg,Ceci, Holloway, etc) vs Henrique, Skinner, Arvidson, Savoie, etc. include draft picks and we can see how the two compare

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
It's hard to judge without truly knowing how negotiations with Holloway and Broberg went, but they should've been taken care of before we went on our big UFA spending spree. Broberg especially.

I still give it a B+ overall, this is going to be an exciting year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Voted D+, as it the offer sheet mistake is quite large and shows a basic lack of asset management. If you didn't know you could resign your valuable RFAs, why are you going after so many guys in UFA season? Pretty terrible mistake that could hurt the team for years to come.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Voted D+, as it the offer sheet mistake is quite large and shows a basic lack of asset management. If you didn't know you could resign your valuable RFAs, why are you going after so many guys in UFA season? Pretty terrible mistake that could hurt the team for years to come.
In fairness, the players may not have been interested in negotiating. I have heard so many conflicting reports it is hard to know what really happened.

If the Oilers only offered Broberg 1.1 and he was willing to take 1.8, then that is an Oilers fail. But who knows what actually happened.

Oilers management got schooled. They should be embarrassed. Good thing they got J Skinner
locked up for that one year deal.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It all comes down to what you believe to be true in the rumor mill. People are going to talk themselves in circles coming up with all sorts of hypotheticals to explain why everything happened the way it did, and how these hypotheticals paint management in a good or bad light.

Overall I really don't think the team stepped back. I think they side stepped and changed some names. I think it's also silly to assume that the roster today is the roster that will be iced going into the playoffs. Clearly they will make a move or two as the season goes.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
In fairness, the players may not have been interested in negotiating. I have heard so many conflicting reports it is hard to know what really happened.

If the Oilers only offered Broberg 1.1 and he was willing to take 1.8, then that is an Oilers fail. But who knows what actually happened.

Oilers management got schooled. They should be embarrassed. Good thing they got J Skinner
locked up for that one year deal.

It has been widely reported that we offered 1.1 and Broberg's camp was wanting 1.8. No, outside of being in the room, we will likely never know for certain. But I think its a pretty safe assumption at this point given what we know. Not locking Broberg up for $1.8 is an offence worthy of losing your job over IMO. It is that bad. Same for Holloway at the reported 1.1 ask from his camp.

It all comes down to what you believe to be true in the rumor mill. People are going to talk themselves in circles coming up with all sorts of hypotheticals to explain why everything happened the way it did, and how these hypotheticals paint management in a good or bad light.

Overall I really don't think the team stepped back. I think they side stepped and changed some names. I think it's also silly to assume that the roster today is the roster that will be iced going into the playoffs. Clearly they will make a move or two as the season goes.

Well we all assumed they would make a RHS D addition last year, and the guy we ended up getting was Stecher, lol. Like, he is fine as a bottom pairing or 7th guy, but he wasn't exactly what we were hoping for. Well now that guy we were disappointed in getting at the TDL last year is going to be on our 2nd pairing all year.

I have zero confidence in being able to get a 2nd pairing Dman at the TDL this year.

When you combine this with the fact that they could have locked up Broberg at $1.8, I can't see how anybody sees this as anything but a MASSIVE failure of management. People should lose their jobs over it. That being said, I agree that they made the right move in not matching Broberg's offersheet. But allowing that to happen in the first place is why people should be fired.

Reactions: gordonhught

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
While the offer sheets may not have happened if GMKH were still charge, I am confident that he would not have handled the situation any better. In fact, I'm down right scared of what he would have done.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Someone do a before and after type of lineup. Let’s pretend that the oilers didn’t sign any of the free agents and kept their own players (I.e Fogele, Mcleod, Broberg,Ceci, Holloway, etc) vs Henrique, Skinner, Arvidson, Savoie, etc. include draft picks and we can see how the two compare

Kane - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Henrique
Foegele - McLeod - Brown
Holloway - Janmark - Perry
Carrick/Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg
Stetcher/VD

2025 3rd
2026 3rd

‐------------------------------------

Skinner - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Kane - Ryan - Podkolzin
Perry/Savoie/Jarventie

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stetcher
Kulak - Emberson
Brown/Kemp

2025 2nd
2025 3rd
2028 3rd

I'm sure I've missed names though.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It has been widely reported that we offered 1.1 and Broberg's camp was wanting 1.8. No, outside of being in the room, we will likely never know for certain. But I think its a pretty safe assumption at this point given what we know. Not locking Broberg up for $1.8 is an offence worthy of losing your job over IMO. It is that bad. Same for Holloway at the reported 1.1 ask from his camp.

Well we all assumed they would make a RHS D addition last year, and the guy we ended up getting was Stecher, lol. Like, he is fine as a bottom pairing or 7th guy, but he wasn't exactly what we were hoping for. Well now that guy we were disappointed in getting at the TDL last year is going to be on our 2nd pairing all year.

I have zero confidence in being able to get a 2nd pairing Dman at the TDL this year.

When you combine this with the fact that they could have locked up Broberg at $1.8, I can't see how anybody sees this as anything but a MASSIVE failure of management. People should lose their jobs over it. That being said, I agree that they made the right move in not matching Broberg's offersheet. But allowing that to happen in the first place is why people should be fired.
Management also felt much differently about Ceci than this board did. So everyone here clamoring for an upgrade really had no bearing on why they didn't choose to send him out. They added depth for a deep run, which they made. Unfortunately Stetcher got hurt and was a non factor.

Now they don't have Ceci anymore, and are thin on the right side. I see no reason to think they aren't acutely aware of the situation and have no inclination to help shore it up.

If you have zero faith in management that's on you I guess. I'm not saying you're wrong. But so far they've done nothing to show me they don't have a plan.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Kane - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Henrique
Foegele - McLeod - Brown
Holloway - Janmark - Perry
Carrick/Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg
Stetcher/VD

2025 3rd
2026 3rd

‐------------------------------------

Skinner - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Kane - Ryan - Podkolzin
Perry/Savoie/Jarventie

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stetcher
Kulak - Emberson
Brown/Kemp

2025 2nd
2025 3rd
2028 3rd

I'm sure I've missed names though.

Thanks for doing this. I'm really not sure which lineup I like more. The obvious comment is that the original lineup has better D and the new lineup has better forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad