How will Fleury perform this post-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Lol, right now Crawford has let in 9 goals on 45 shots. Fleury has let in 2 in 38 shots. I don't think we should be complaining.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Lol, right now Crawford has let in 9 goals on 45 shots. Fleury has let in 2 in 38 shots. I don't think we should be complaining.

I don't think anybody's been complaining about Fleury lately, but it does seem that Crawford's becoming a strange case himself. He's had some bad stretches this season.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
yeah, those goals the wings banked off the end boards with their point shots and wound up in the back of the net just scream "he had a great playoffs"
same with the darrell powe wrister from just inside the blue line, or the puck he mishandled in game 7 vs. the caps in the opening moments to give ovechkin a goal

he was carried by the Team. thats the point. we can get goal tending like that from nearly anyone. and (for furure references) for a hell of a lot less then a #1 overall draft pick

lol, your hate is confusing your timelines champ. MAF stopped OV on a breakaway early when it was tied. He made the bad play on the puck when the Pens were up big at the end of the game. Thanks for trying though.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
It would be nice if we could actually talk about this team and players now and their performance instead of bashing Fleury for last night's game for that ugly goal he gave up in 2011 that hurt the team... but unf a huge part of the people here have no ability to actually process new information separately.

I like your idea for the game but unfortunately some people here are incapable of playing it.

the goals he let up are the exact same type of goals he was bashed for for all those years, where everyone wanted to get rid of him. where mostly everyone on here was upset when they extended him.

sorry, 1 good regular season doesnt change that

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
No other forward could have played like Downie and Spaling this year!! :laugh:

As far as your other "point", we didn't even play the caps that year, and when we did a year later, Ovechkin didn't score in Game 7 until it was 5-0??

Find me another goalie who hasn't had bad goals against (ie Quick has had a couple brutal ones in his long runs). If that run of a 1.97% GAA and .933% was Quick and he had a couple bad goals (which he has), you would be praising him for carrying him team and giving them a chance.

Your inability to make an actual logical argument around actual points is depressing...

OMG other goalies can do what Fleury did this year... Spaling scored a few goals which no one else could have done, he was obviously more valuable!

OMG Fleury put up a sub-2.00 GAA and a .930+ SV%, and taking the team to game 6 of the Cup in 08, but he gave up a couple bad goals... he was obviously terrible...

Can you please leave so people can actually have rational discussions about the good and bad?

you're right I mis remembered the timing of that goal

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
lol, your hate is confusing your timelines champ. MAF stopped OV on a breakaway early when it was tied. He made the bad play on the puck when the Pens were up big at the end of the game. Thanks for trying though.

ahh good, MAF biggest defender comes in to defend his precious marc andre. yeah i didn't get the timing right.

it still shows where his mental game is at. like the opening goal in game 1

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Could the pens get the same from a goalie that's paid 2mm less? Maybe. Could that extra 2mm put them over the top? Debatable.

now?? no way.

in 2012 when they were "all in"?? quite possibly.
they did reach the conference final eating his salary on the bench.

in other years when he **** the bed in the playoffs. again.. quite possibly

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To the Crosby stalker with the Sweaty Teddy avatar that is now absent...

My point is...

People specifically point out 2010-2013 as his playoff numbers. But fail to mention when he was damn solid in 2008 and 2009 and that he REBOUNDED last year in the playoffs and apart from 1 bad goal last night, he held the Rangers to 2 goals. The Penguins again, failed to score more than 1 goal.

I don't care about the career numbers, because those bad years were bad and the team was bad which made it even worse overall to see it all go down. All you can ask for is an improvement. He gives people that, yet they proceed to ***** like idiots.

That, that is what is annoying as ****.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
ahh good, MAF biggest defender comes in to defend his precious marc andre. yeah i didn't get the timing right.

it still shows where his mental game is at. like the opening goal in game 1

I'm not a Fleury defender, but if you can forget that big of a play, then maybe your whole perspective is skewed.

I also disagree with your appraisal of Thursday's game. Fleury was strong.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I'm not a Fleury defender, but if you can forget that big of a play, then maybe your whole perspective is skewed.

the play actually happened. I misremembered when it happened

thank god they were so far ahead that it didnt give the caps any momentum for a comeback. we might be sitting here with 0 cups in sid/geno tenure here

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
the play actually happened. I misremembered when it happened

thank god they were so far ahead that it didnt give the caps any momentum for a comeback. we might be sitting here with 0 cups in sid/geno tenure here

Yeah, precisely. He did make that huge save on the breakaway, in the opening minutes, which actually gave the Pens the momentum to build a 5-0 lead.

Otherwise, they might not have had that one Cup. Just like you said.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Could the pens get the same from a goalie that's paid 2mm less? Maybe. Could that extra 2mm put them over the top? Debatable.

There are much better ways for this organization to save that extra 2M that could be spent in ways to put the team over the top.

Of course, they won't do that, and they wouldn't know how to spend that 2M properly even if they did.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Yeah, precisely. He did make that huge save on the breakaway, in the opening minutes, which actually gave the Pens the momentum to build a 5-0 lead.

Otherwise, they might not have had that one Cup. Just like you said.

that was big. and i've stated on here previously he was big in game 7 vs. detroit
in that series. he was good in the wins and IMO pretty bad in the losses
(bad goals, 5-0 game 5.... etc)

4 good games, 3 awful ones. I would call that not being consistent.
in game 1 we saw a microcosm of that.
good from the 2nd period on and 2 really bad goals given up in the 1st

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
that was big. and i've stated on here previously he was big in game 7 vs. detroit
in that series. he was good in the wins and IMO pretty bad in the losses
(bad goals, 5-0 game 5.... etc)

4 good games, 3 awful ones. I would call that not being consistent.
in game 1 we saw a microcosm of that.
good from the 2nd period on and 2 really bad goals given up in the 1st

Talk about underselling the good and exaggerating the bad. The first goal was bad from Fleury and equally bad from the defense. Either one of them playing it properly prevents the goal. The 2nd goal was something that happens to every goalie in the league on a fairly regular basis. It was save-able, but so are 90% of the goals scored. The best goalies in the league do it less often, but they still do it. No goalie in the league is stopping every shot that they should stop, because there are very very few goals scored where the goalie can't look back and see what they could have done better to save it. Fleury isn't one of the best goalies in the league. We pay him to be good, not great. He absolutely lived up to that expectation in game 1.

yet, their goalie didnt allow any softies. the only way they beat him was when there pretty much an open net.

Lundqvist's goal was pretty damn bad rebound control too. If it was Fleury, you'd be talking about how bad it was. But instead, you flipped it to say that the only goal Lundqvist gave up was when we had a wide open net. Of course, you ignore that the net was wide open because he flubbed the rebound and then failed again trying to reach out to cover up for his mistake. Its like saying Fleury's first goal happened because there was a guy completely uncovered in the slot. I mean, its true. If that guy isn't there or if he is properly defended, then the goal doesn't happen. But if either goalie handles the previous shot correctly, neither goal happens.

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Talk about underselling the good and exaggerating the bad.

No, but he's a choker because he mis-handled a puck leading to an Ovie goal when the game was already decided and the Caps were visibly defeated.

If he was clutch he wouldn't allow meaningless goals like that.

Seriously, with the current incarnation of the Pens, Fleury is far far down the list of things to complain about. In fact, the team would be hanging on a golf course right now if it wasn't for him. He was lights out after the first goal in game one and he kept the game close and gave the Pens a chance to win in a game where they were heavily out-chanced.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Fleury had nothing to do with the RAGS win. The pens were simply outplayed and can't score.

So I guess some will blame MAF since he didn't pitch a shut out. A second thought, yes it was his fault, 1 goal is now the norm for this former scoring powerhouse machine. Since he let in two lets lynch him.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i just dont understand why a guy that is one of the worst playoff goalies in the league is so firmly entrenched as this teams starter. why is he considered part of the core?

i mean, i know the answer. the answer is not purely because of his ability to stop pucks. its because he's a nice guy that everyone likes.

but thats the entire problem with this organization. if fleury were to be judged based solely on his ability to stop pucks, he should have been out of this organization years ago. the same holds true for a lot of guys on this roster and in this organization, that their lack of ability is glossed over because of personal relationships.

fleury is not the only problem with this team right now, clearly, but he's the single roster player most responsible for this team's playoff failures the past 5 years. he should not be the entrenched starter on a cup contending team.

if this actually wants to be a real contender someday, they need to start making decisions based on merit, which means ditching players like fleury.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
i just dont understand why a guy that is one of the worst playoff goalies in the league is so firmly entrenched as this teams starter. why is he considered part of the core?

i mean, i know the answer. the answer is not purely because of his ability to stop pucks. its because he's a nice guy that everyone likes.

but thats the entire problem with this organization. if fleury were to be judged based solely on his ability to stop pucks, he should have been out of this organization years ago. the same holds true for a lot of guys on this roster and in this organization, that their lack of ability is glossed over because of personal relationships.

fleury is not the only problem with this team right now, clearly, but he's the single roster player most responsible for this team's playoff failures the past 5 years. he should not be the entrenched starter on a cup contending team.

if this actually wants to be a real contender someday, they need to start making decisions based on merit, which means ditching players like fleury.

Two years ago this was true. I wanted him gone too. But if he keeps playing like he has this year, why would we ditch him? Because he used to suck in the playoffs? If you are making decisions based on merit, they should be based on how players are playing right now. And right now, Fleury is playing like a guy we should hang on to.

Sure, if he melts down again the rest of the way, you are right. Personally, I hope his improvement with the new goalie coach is legitimate rather than hope for us to get rid of him. Because right now he's not just a good guy, he's a good goalie.

Last edited:

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
no. all that matters is he's done it time and time and time again.

interesting how some of you have changed your opinions of him after "great " regualr season. this is the playoff fluery of the last 6 years

So in your opinion a player shouldn't be granted the opportunity to turn it around, correct? Fleury played well in the post-season last year and he looked good for us again in game 1. I'm convinced that no matter how well he plays for the next few years people like you will continue to crap on him just the same because of what happened in previous years. Learn to let go and give some recognition for what he's done for us LATELY. As it stans this team has much bigger problems than Fleury, yet many of you stupidly opt to ignore that.

And I'll say it a million times over: remove fleury from the equation this season and we're very likely a 12th-13th place team in the East, and that's the simple truth to it. None of our other star players rose to the occasion the way we needed them to this season except for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad