OT: How upset do you get after an Oilers loss?

How upset do you get

• Total voters

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I was talking to a friend last night that said he was legit ready to punch someone in the face and said how he needs to give up sports because they ruin his life. He also cheers for the Vikings and Blue Jays. I told him if sports give him that much grief, he really shouldn’t watch

Me on the other hand, I cheer for the Oilers, Senators, Colts, Red Sox. Yes I will admit the Sox have been good to me in my lifetime and I have watched them win 4 World Series. I have yet to watch the Oilers or Senators win the cup in my life time. I have seen Indy win the Super Bowl once 14 years ago when I was 19. End of the day, I get upset but it doesn’t ruin my day. I hate that the Oilers are under performing AGAIN and I was disgusted with the loss. But here I am this morning.... happy and eating some bacon.

Curious what you guys feel after a loss. I more less mean the playoff losses. Like a crucial loss, not just some meaningless game.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Kind of kidding, but when they suck that bad two times in a row it sucks. Shouldn't let the media hype them. Never a good thing.

Now for some bacon and eggs.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It certainly effects lives, marriages and relationships with people around you.

The fact that it is the Jets and not Flames/Leafs has kept me not too frustrated. Not sure if i would survive watching Oilers get swept by Flames.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
It certainly effects lives, marriages and relationships with people around you.

The fact that it is the Jets and not Flames/Leafs has kept me not too frustrated. Not sure if i would survive watching Oilers get swept by Flames.
Ya that’s for sure. It definitely matters who beats us. I can’t tell you how many times I would throw up watching the Colts lose to the stinkin Patriots. Yankees beating the Sox is never a good feeling either. Flames beating the Oilers is gross, but seeing the Flames not make playoffs made me pretty happy.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
ya, I don't know. I grew up watching them win cups towards the end of the 80's, and ever since then its been combo's of disappointments one after the other. That said, I've gotten to watch two of the best players to ever play in the NHL!

Could be worse. I could have been a Canuck fan haha ( I live in BC )

Reactions: tardigrade81

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I was talking to a friend last night that said he was legit ready to punch someone in the face and said how he needs to give up sports because they ruin his life. He also cheers for the Vikings and Blue Jays. I told him if sports give him that much grief, he really shouldn’t watch

Me on the other hand, I cheer for the Oilers, Senators, Colts, Red Sox. Yes I will admit the Sox have been good to me in my lifetime and I have watched them win 4 World Series. I have yet to watch the Oilers or Senators win the cup in my life time. I have seen Indy win the Super Bowl once 14 years ago when I was 19. End of the day, I get upset but it doesn’t ruin my day. I hate that the Oilers are under performing AGAIN and I was disgusted with the loss. But here I am this morning.... happy and eating some bacon.

Curious what you guys feel after a loss. I more less mean the playoff losses. Like a crucial loss, not just some meaningless game.

Sounds like your friend should go to therapy TBH.

I've grown used to the Oilers losing so it doesn't bug me that much after the moment. There are a lot of more important things to get mad about.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wont get really upset unless we get eliminated. Last night soured me for the night though. It really sucks when you have the best chances but they just cant bury it, and then of course a goal like that goes in on us. It's like a total head game, for the team and the fans

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm pissed as hell and yet I'm not surprised in the least.

I'm at the point where Game 3 doesn't even matter. They could blow out the Jets 10-1 and it still wouldn't make me think they're winning this series.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I used to be in the category of it'd ruin my day and I'd feel like punching holes in the wall. At this point in my life I have too many other things going on and a family to look after so I try not to let it get me nearly as riled up. That said it still stings and can change my mood for sure.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
ya, I don't know. I grew up watching them win cups towards the end of the 80's, and ever since then its been combo's of disappointments one after the other. That said, I've gotten to watch two of the best players to ever play in the NHL!

Could be worse. I could have been a Canuck fan haha ( I live in BC )
Lol exactly !!!!! Hahahaha

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Sounds like your friend should go to therapy TBH.

I've grown used to the Oilers losing so it doesn't bug me that much after the moment. There are a lot of more important things to get mad about.
I agree. I told him that. I feel there are deeper things going on for someone if a sport can upset someone that much

I admit I used to get much more upset. I definitely had a tear in my eye when the Colts lost to the Saints in the SB. I wasn’t very happy when the oilers lost to the Canes in the finals, but I was 17 at the time and not near as into hockey as I am now. Same with the Senators.

Now with a kid, and family I just find I don’t worry too much about the loss after. I’m upset for sure, but usually go about my day and all good. I have been watching sports for entertainment for the better part of 18 years. If I got upset every time one of my teams lost, I would never be happy.
Senators
Oilers
Red Sox
Colts

that’s a lot of teams. Someone is going to lose. Just the r the way it is.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I used to be in the category of it'd ruin my day and I'd feel like punching holes in the wall. At this point in my life I have too many other things going on and a family to look after so I try not to let it get me nearly as riled up. That said it still stings and can change my mood for sure.
That’s exactly how I feel. I used to be so passionate about sports and don’t get me wrong , I still am..... but with a family and work being so busy, I just don’t have time to sit there all day and night being mad about the game. It’s sucks losing especially when we were the favorite to win, and it definitely didn’t sit right with me. But meh. I get over it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I'm pissed as hell and yet I'm not surprised in the least.

I'm at the point where Game 3 doesn't even matter. They could blow out the Jets 10-1 and it still wouldn't make me think they're winning this series.
Hmmmmm. I still think if we win game 3, we have a decent chance but ya it’s definitely scary now being down 0-2.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I am a Devils die hard fan and the Oilers are I guess my second team . I used to be so pissed to the point it ruined my day. I won’t answer my phone as I don’t want to talk to anyone because I know I’m in a bad mood . I would scream at the tv and want to smash shit but now I am used to losing and am almost completely numb to it .
I now cheer for producers and kids to improve and work hard vs the outcome in a game . It makes it more enjoyable .
It’s hard when you were used to your team being very good year in and year out ( ages ago when both the Devils were actually decent) and then suck terribly for as long a they have . I guess having low expectations is the way I go about it

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I think the more interesting question is why does it make you/me so upset? First off, I am obviously not immune to the trauma as a very long-suffering Oilers fan. Followed them from the WHA.

Over the recent years, I've had to try and become a little more conscious of what exactly was causing my rage/sadness/disappointment/fear etc. It was either that, or give up watching this team.

So what am I getting at? Over time, the Oilers have become a substantial part of my ego/identity. I have to recognize this and it's consequences. McDavid and Draisaitl don't score in a couple of really tight playoff games and suddenly they are bums and have betrayed us (our egos). Not that maybe even Mcdavid can grip his stick a little too tightly in a couple incredibly hotly-contested games. That he is human too. How dare he let us down! Betray us!

We had our point blank chances in those games, especially last night. Could have easily gone our way too.

The thing is ... letting a sports team or some of it's players substitute for your ego/identity is insane. But that's how the ego works. I have to learn to become conscious of these things every day. Still disappointed though. LOL!

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

I've seemingly changed as well. To the point where I can watch a loss like last night and just look at the good points amidst constant failure. heh. I'm probably conditioned by now to have to see something positive. But Nurse was a stud last night, great performance by him and Smith. McDrai got better as game went on.

I still enjoyed the game, of course not the result. But McDrai consistently put some joy and entertainment in my life and I'm thankful for that. This isnt like watching David Oliver pass the puck to Joey something or other. Now 1993-94, those were bad times.

The Oilers don't owe me anything and I don't pay them anything. They are better than 90% of the crap on TV and the reason we watch, aside from being diehards.

But its easier to be a fan during the McDrai time period than it has been since say 97, 98.

The waiting for the bus gang never really did it for me.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I am a Devils die hard fan and the Oilers are I guess my second team . I used to be so pissed to the point it ruined my day. I won’t answer my phone as I don’t want to talk to anyone because I know I’m in a bad mood . I would scream at the tv and want to smash shit but now I am used to losing and am almost completely numb to it .
I now cheer for producers and kids to improve and work hard vs the outcome in a game . It makes it more enjoyable .
It’s hard when you were used to your team being very good year in and year out ( ages ago when both the Devils were actually decent) and then suck terribly for as long a they have . I guess having low expectations is the way I go about it
Lol I truly think it is. I don’t have any expectations of my teams anymore. Even the Sox this year are surprising me big time. I never expect Indy to make it past the first round of the playoffs..... half the time I don’t expect much from Edmonton. What makes this year tough is that we owned Winnipeg in the regular season and I finally thought we had a opponent in the first round, same with last year...... how foolish of me.... I think the pain and anger just lessens the older I get. When I was young, I was way more passionate. Now I still love sports but I just take it in stride. Cheer when they win, anger when they lose but doesn’t ruin my day or week.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think the more interesting question is why does it make you/me so upset? First off, I am obviously not immune to the trauma as a very long-suffering Oilers fan. Followed them from the WHA.

Over the recent years, I've had to try and become a little more conscious of what exactly was causing my rage/sadness/disappointment/fear etc. It was either that, or give up watching this team.

So what am I getting at? Over time, the Oilers have become a substantial part of my ego/identity. I have to recognize this and it's consequences. McDavid and Draisaitl don't score in a couple of really tight playoff games and suddenly they are bums and have betrayed us (our egos). Not that maybe even Mcdavid can grip his stick a little too tightly in a couple incredibly hotly-contested games. That he is human too. How dare he let us down! Betray us!

We had our point blank chances in those games, especially last night. Could have easily gone our way too.

The thing is ... letting a sports team or some of it's players substitute for your ego/identity is insane. But that's how the ego works. I have to learn to become conscious of these thing every day. Still disappointed though. LOL!
Well said. I agree with this completely.

Reactions: Laodongxi

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I've seemingly changed as well. To the point where I can watch a loss like last night and just look at the good points amidst constant failure. heh. I'm probably conditioned by now to have to see something positive. But Nurse was a stud last night, great performance by him and Smith. McDrai got better as game went on.

I still enjoyed the game, of course not the result. But McDrai consistently put some joy and entertainment in my life and I'm thankful for that. This isnt like watching David Oliver pass the puck to Joey something or other. Now 1993-94, those were bad times.

The Oilers don't owe me anything and I don't pay them anything. They are better than 90% of the crap on TV and the reason we watch, aside from being diehards.

But its easier to be a fan during the McDrai time period than it has been since say 97, 98.

The waiting for the bus gang never really did it for me.
Well said. I’m kind of like that too..... I still find the good in games like Smith standing on his head and giving us a chance. It’s sucks that Drai and McDavid have gone into ghost mode through the playoffs... and it sucks that we lost to the tenth seed Blackhawks last year and now to a team we dominates all regular season but it is what it is.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Disappointed yes for sure ,end of the world mad no. I'm just glad we still have hockey to watch right now and they haven't canceled it as well. I think there putting in a decent effort given no fans up here ect but would be nice to win a few as thats a great feeling to have . Beat the Jets back to back in peg and were right back to feeling like we have a chance again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

The thing is ... letting a sports team or some of it's players substitute for your ego/identity is insane. But that's how the ego works. I have to learn to become conscious of these thing every day. Still disappointed though. LOL!

excellent post. Particularly the part of ego identification. I remember a moment during SC wins,and for awhile you're just ecstatic and in time you always realize the whole thing really has nothing to do with you. Doesn't change or alter life too much. It does and can inspire. It can uplift, make us happy for awhile. It doesn't change anything and shouldn't. By the next day or week the SC wins I attended were about as important as seeing Pink Floyd in concert. Definitely a bucket list thing, and great experiences, but a week later life is back to the same thing.

Trauma, haha, I can tell you're a longtime fan. I've been with the team since 72 as well. Those early years were kind of bleak. Jim Harrison was occasionally electric, but that team didn't have a lot of offensive talent early on. Started getting it though. Bill Hunter was kind of cheap, truth be told. He was the model of a GM that would buy the Hansons if they were on sale. The WHA was special. Slapshot of course based on several actual WHA players including Hansons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad