Votes: 27 10.3%
  • Less than 40%

Votes: 43 16.3%
  • More than 70%

Votes: 43 16.3%

• Total voters

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’d put Domi ahead of JT in terms of on-ice impact, and Domi went for $3.75x5 as a UFA. Domi is a WAY better skater, more dynamic with the puck, makes more happen at even strength, I slightly prefer him on the PP too, and I think the 2 are a wash defensively.

I’d put McMann roughly on par with JT, and he went for $1.35x2 as a UFA, though that was definitely a steal.

Overall I think his fair market value is about $3 mil AAV, so he’s about $8 mil AAV overpaid IMO. I’d be cool with signing him to a short term deal at $3 mil AAV, but wouldn’t want to go long term at that cap, as he’s clearly declining. But if he’s getting ~$4-5 mil offers from other teams, and wants us to match, we should just walk, we can get better players for that price.

I think for 3m you could get a player that isn't salty about losing the C and can skate and do things better.

So with JT. Cut bait, let him go.

• Love
Reactions: Blanka and klmdg

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
We know the team will sign him, but it really is time to move on. He will continue to produce points, but the drop in foot speed has become an issue.
I dunno how he will still get points. He has already slowed from the start of the season imo. I thought he would be the same as last season and extend for about $4 mil per season. If he's not a point produced, he cannot be a defensive C I don't believe... move to the wing? Still slow there... I never would have thought I'd agree with moving on from him, but... unless things change drastically, that might be the preferred play.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I dunno how he will still get points. He has already slowed from the start of the season imo. I thought he would be the same as last season and extend for about $4 mil per season. If he's not a point produced, he cannot be a defensive C I don't believe... move to the wing? Still slow there... I never would have thought I'd agree with moving on from him, but... unless things change drastically, that might be the preferred play.
Ultimately, we know it's moot. The team is going to resign him. He will retire here.

Reactions: wingman75

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Ultimately, we know it's moot. The team is going to resign him. He will retire here.
I'm torn on Tavares. On the one hand I'm not completely against re-signing him if he's willing to take a Spezza/Giordano type of dirt cheap deal. He's still a decent player if no longer great. On the otherhand it wouldn't be a bad idea let him walk and move one or two other core players and be done with this current core of players that clearly doesn't have the right chemistry and mix to be successful in the playoffs and even often in the regular season.

I look at this current group and it doesn't even remotely look like a Stanley cup contending team. Break this core up and start again. Move out Marner and Rielly for a decent haul and see if you can't get anything for Tavares and if not then make a decision about him in the offseason. As much as I hoped and cheered for this group of players to succeed, it hasn't worked out and its time to move on.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
His decline the past few seasons has been astonishing

He basically went from his early 30s to his late 30s in the span of one summer

Considering the team's massive failures with him as captain, I would not want him back, even at league minimum

Unfortunately, JT will be extended if Shanahan is still here and the contract will be gross

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad