How much would you want your team to pay Tom Wilson on a 7 yr deal?

How much would you be willing for your team to pay Tom Wilson on a 7 year deal?

• I wouldn’t want that POS on my team at any price

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • $1.5M or less

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • $2.5M of less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $3.5M or less

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • $4.5M or less

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • $5.5M or less

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • $6.5M or less

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • $7.5M or less

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • $8.5M or less

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • $9.5M or less

• $10.5M or less

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The athletic had Tom Wilson as the 3rd worst contract in the NHL this offseason, how much would you be willing for your team to pay Tom Wilson on a 7 year deal?
Tom Wilson makes $6.5M the next 7 seasons, is 30, and has 5 goals and 1 assist in 4 games this season.

Last edited:

Kuz

May 11, 2015
He was probably worth it when he signed. Then had a big injury and was closer to a 4-5 million player the next 1 and a half season after that. Takes time to get back from those, but he looks like hes back at eh level he was expected to be at so far this year. Early season still so lets see if he continues playing this level of hockey. Of course he wont keep up the point pace, but Im talking about the overall effort in his game.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Wilson has been a bit up and down as a player. Top line Tom from 2018-2022 was worth $7M. Every team in the NHL wanted a player like that - physical, intimidating, disrupting, and productive. The combination of skill and pest is a pain to deal with.

Disengaged Tom from 2023 is worth $4M.

He's got some legit hockey skills, which is hilarious because he's so hate-able and it drives people to say silly things when really they'd love to have a player like that.

You want this guy on your team in his prime in a cup window. Now? not so much

A year ago many (but not all) caps fans might have agreed but he looks like his peak self right now.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I really don't think i'd want Tom Wilson on a 7-year deal at all. Right now, he's probably not that far off being "worth it" as a player who can bring a pretty unique and highly coveted "impact" skillset to the table. When he's engaged, few guys can offer that combination of physical intimidation + getting under peoples' skin + legitimate top-end goal scoring ability and decent complementary offensive skill all around.

It's really not the type of player that has historically aged super well though. That kind of game tends to take a real toll on the body, even when they're the one dishing out most of the punishment. He seems fine for the moment, but he's crossing that threshold into the danger zone on the wrong side of thirty...and that sort of decline can send that type of player right off a cliff at any moment at those ages.

I'd frankly, probably prefer to have him "overpaid" a little bit more in the shorter-term, than be a bit more of a "bargain" right now, but on the hook at that price until he's 37 or whatever. Obviously team situations would play into that a little bit...if i'm in a position to go "all in" over the next 3-4 years, i guess i just live with the consequences later. Very possibly end up with 2-4 years of basically an "overpaid mascot" tough guy who can't keep up with the game at the tail end.

But on a 7-year deal, it's really just a matter of trying to guesstimate when he'll fall apart.

Right now, he's worth more than $4.5M pretty comfortably. But in 3-4 years, there's a reasonable chance that's still a painful contract AAV to have on the books. So where does it balance out? right now, $6.5M doesn't seem outrageous to me. But in a few years, that's likely to be an absolute albatross. Just hard to assess that value fulcrum...when you're totally guessing at how long he'll hold up, and independent of "Team Context" to decide how much sacrifice down the line is acceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad