how much shouId aho get paid?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I wonder if there's any truth to the rumors that Dundon likes a shorter term deal and if Aho is interested in cashing in twice. Personally, I think that will bite Dundon, but he's been nothing if not willing to try something new.

What about 6 years at $8 million for Aho, then he's a UFA at 27, when the cap is probably over $100 million. I don't think they'll do five years and have him and TT expiring at the same time.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
This remains my official guess. Skinner's contract. Or maybe I just predicted Skinner's deal by mistake.

That would be a really good deal in my opinion. Decent now, and in a few years, when the cap goes up, that deal could look like a steal. Even if he does not get any better (which I doubt), 9m for a ppg center is a good deal.

Reactions: Unsustainable

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think both he and Point are going to go with the Matthews strategy and only buyout one RFA year to both make it a little easier on their teams salary/cap issues now and to give them the opportunities to grab a bigger post TV Deal contract.

My guess is thus 5 years, $40M contract.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Gaudreau signed for $6.75 mil x 6 coming off 78 points in 79 games. Adjust for an $83 mil cap and that's equivalent to a ~$7.68 mil AAV. Draisaitl signed for $8.5 mil x 8 coming off of 77 points in 82 games. Adjust for an $83 mil cap and that's equivalent to a ~$.9.4 mil AAV. To make the numbers look a little cleaner, bump the Gaudreau comp up to $7.75 mil and Draisaitl down to $9.25 mil. The mid point would then be $8.5 mil x 7.

I think we'll see Rantanen, Tkachuk, Point and Aho end up at different points in that spectrum. Colorado is structured in a way that Rantanen not getting the max would be a surprise. Treliving, who gets praised for his RFA contracts because of it, has yet to go max term with his RFAs; Gaudreau, Hanifin and Lindholm signed for 6 with Monahan at 7. Tampa may prioritize short-term cap space as a win-now team. The budget situation here in Carolina is a complete unknown.

Marner will end up the outlier; the Nylander and Matthews extensions point to a different type of organizational culture in Toronto.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Colorado has two big problems in giving Rantanen the contract his numbers warrant: MacKinnon @ 6.3M and Landeskog @ 5.57M.
I don't think it's a problem at all for them. More market value Rantanen gets to the better negotiation position they will be again when their own contracts are up. Hockey players in general are not envious of team mate contracts.

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I don't think it's a problem at all for them. More market value Rantanen gets to the better negotiation position they will be again when their own contracts are up. Hockey players in general are not envious of team mate contracts.
Very good point there; those too are up for contracts soon enough.

Also, their numbers out of ELC were kind of modest compared to Rantanen's two 80+ point seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad