How much has Anaheim improved for 2023-24?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How much will the Ducks improve in 2023/24

• They will somehow manage to be worse

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Roughly the same as 2022-33

Votes: 24 12.5%
  • Slight improvement but still easily a bottom feeder (28-32 overall)

Votes: 102 53.1%
  • Notable improvement, more competitive but still bottom third

Votes: 54 28.1%
  • They'll be competing for playoffs

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • SC contender

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean no disrespect, but still easily one of the worst teams in the league. That defense is brutal. No 1D and too many kids. Vets aren’t that good either. Their best young players are developing well, but none have become stars yet. It’s going to take them some time to build up their team, if they keep being patient. It’s not a bad strategy either, but that roster is 2-3 years away from contending for the playoffs.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I mean no disrespect, but still easily one of the worst teams in the league. That defense is brutal. No 1D and too many kids. Vets aren’t that good either. Their best young players are developing well, but none have become stars yet. It’s going to take them some time to build up their team, if they keep being patient. It’s not a bad strategy either, but that roster is 2-3 years away from contending for the playoffs.

As it currently stands the Ducks will have 1 kid on their defense (2 if you count Drysdale). The Defense should be miles better then last year. Still probably one of the worst in the league, but I feel like people do not understand just how bad they were last year on defense. The personnel, the system, the support from forwards. It was brutal.

Out:
Shattenkirk
Klingberg (He was so bad on the Ducks)
Kulikov
Benoit
Beaulieu

In:
Gudas
Lybushkin
Drysdale
Hagg

They have Fowler and a bunch of 4-5 guys instead of Fowler and a bunch of 6-7 guys like they had last year. Not great but still a huge upgrade.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
and that’s still optimistic.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It'll be better but still bottom 5 for sure
Really depends on how Cronin is as a coach... if we can fix our PP/PK itll go a big way.

Drysdale returning could be a low key big add... the defense as a whole looks a lot harder to play against than last year (still not good tho)

Another year of guys like Zegras/McTavish/Terry growing and maturing.
If the team is at least competitive, i think youll see Gibsons #'s bounce up a bit and thatll help too.

Still 2 maybe 3 years away from being a legit contender, but i think the team should at least put up more of a fight this year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Significantly better...which will still end up bottom-10.

It's hard to overstate how bad defensively they were last season. Their defensive play was truly the worst we've ever seen in the analytics era (and obviously reflected in the results). We can debate the efficacy and price tag of guys like Killorn, Gudas, and Boosh, but they are actual NHL players and will allow them to not be mid-table AHL-quality in their own zone.

I think the coaching change should help on this front, as Eakins clearly had no defensive scheme at all. It was man-on-man defending where every player had their eyes closed. I have no idea about Cronin, but he can't possibly be worse.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Significantly better...which will still end up bottom-10.

It's hard to overstate how bad defensively they were last season. Their defensive play was truly the worst we've ever seen in the analytics era (and obviously reflected in the results). We can debate the efficacy and price tag of guys like Killorn, Gudas, and Boosh, but they are actual NHL players and will allow them to not be mid-table AHL-quality in their own zone.

I think the coaching change should help on this front, as Eakins clearly had no defensive scheme at all. It was man-on-man defending where every player had their eyes closed. I have no idea about Cronin, but he can't possibly be worse.

At the end of the day I think we could use 1 more top 10 pick…. Lot of good dmen in this draft…. Would love to add another high end dmen to fill out the d core

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I like Killorn just fine. But other than that add, they are pretty similar to last season on paper.

So any improvement will have to be from young players making progress.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
What praise have you seen…. Outside of having a solid prospect pool(specifically defense) they don’t get a ton of praise.

There was that one guy going around posting stuff like MINTYUKOV IS THE NEXT CALE MAKAR. I've also seen him with the hashtag #Minty4Calderbaby too.

Guy is probably delusional. Why wouldnt he be after having to watch Klingberg and Shattenkirk. I heard he's a Sharks fan too, dealing with Ryan Merkley busting and all that. Poor guy. No wonder he gravitates toward the Ducks.?:sarcasm:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
As it currently stands the Ducks will have 1 kid on their defense (2 if you count Drysdale). The Defense should be miles better then last year. Still probably one of the worst in the league, but I feel like people do not understand just how bad they were last year on defense. The personnel, the system, the support from forwards. It was brutal.

Out:
Shattenkirk
Klingberg (He was so bad on the Ducks)
Kulikov
Benoit
Beaulieu

In:
Gudas
Lybushkin
Drysdale
Hagg

They have Fowler and a bunch of 4-5 guys instead of Fowler and a bunch of 6-7 guys like they had last year. Not great but still a huge upgrade.
Well, I still see like 3 of them in the lineup with Drysdale, Lacombe, and whoever takes the 3LD spot. Also, that'll become more when the team is out of it the last few months of the season, and one or more of Lybushkin, Gudas, and Fowler are traded. The team also has incentive for their 7th and 8th to be kids as opposed to veteran plugs (a good strategy that contending don't use yet should).

And I have no problem with the idea it'll be better than last year. I'm merely saying it's not going to be a competitive group.

and that’s still optimistic.
I see a bunch of the pieces there.

Unlike a team like San Jose or Chicago, who might have 1-2 of the core pieces needed and are many years away from contention, Anaheim has a lot of the pieces there already. What they need is for them to become leading players in the league. I don't know how many years it'll take, but when the likes of Zegras, McTavish, and Drysdale are top 30-45 players in the league at their position, that's when contending for the playoffs sounds like a serious proposition. And that could very well be within the next 2-3 seasons.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Well, I still see like 3 of them in the lineup with Drysdale, Lacombe, and whoever takes the 3LD spot. Also, that'll become more when the team is out of it the last few months of the season, and one or more of Lybushkin, Gudas, and Fowler are traded. The team also has incentive for their 7th and 8th to be kids as opposed to veteran plugs (a good strategy that contending don't use yet should).

And I have no problem with the idea it'll be better than last year. I'm merely saying it's not going to be a competitive group.

Unlike a team like San Jose or Chicago, who might have 1-2 of the core pieces needed and are many years away from contention, Anaheim has a lot of the pieces there already. What they need is for them to become leading players in the league. I don't know how many years it'll take, but when the likes of Zegras, McTavish, and Drysdale are top 30-45 players in the league at their position, that's when contending for the playoffs sounds like a serious proposition. And that could very well be within the next 2-3 seasons.
Again, thats pretty optimistic but even then they still need to replace another 16 (?)players on that roster before they are competitive. Many of those are not easy pieces to find either. It’s going to take 2-3 seasons just to get Carlsson (hopefully) to a legit 1C. Probably 2-3 to get Drysdale to a legit 1st pair guy. Going to need to find a goaltender. Another 3 guys for the top 6 If everything goes well. Another another 5 players to fill out the defense…. This team is no where near.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I think it is safe to say that Hagg will likely be playing with Drysdale. I seriously doubt anyone but LaCombe will get regular minutes on the left side unless they just absolutely tear it up in camp. My money would be on Hinds.

Also, 0 chance Gudas or Fowler get traded.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I like Killorn just fine. But other than that add, they are pretty similar to last season on paper.

So any improvement will have to be from young players making progress.

Maybe similar in overall quality, but I think the incoming players are way better fits. Gudas and Lybushkin just make way more sense than Shattenkirk and Klingberg as compliments to Fowler/Drysdale or whatever young D make the team. Last year's D group had no one to make life difficult for the opposition and really no one who is a true defense first defender.

Besides lack of overall quality, the biggest issue was just being far too soft and easy to play against. Having Gudas on the ice for roughly a third of the game, in itself really helps address that need.

They aren't star level additions but they should do a lot to make the team less of a pushover. The year will still go wherever the kids end up taking it, most likely in for another long building season, but I think there should be at least a few less nights where they don't even look like an NHL club.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Having Boosh, Gudas and Hagg all on the ice potentially in a game is certainly a decision.

I think they will be a bit better, but I expect them to finish in the lotto again, possibly even bottom 2 with the Habs or Sharks.

Those goalies will be hanging on for dear life once again.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Again, thats pretty optimistic but even then they still need to replace another 16 (?)players on that roster before they are competitive. Many of those are not easy pieces to find either. It’s going to take 2-3 seasons just to get Carlsson (hopefully) to a legit 1C. Probably 2-3 to get Drysdale to a legit 1st pair guy. Going to need to find a goaltender. Another 3 guys for the top 6 If everything goes well. Another another 5 players to fill out the defense…. This team is no where near.
WTF, he said playoffs, not cup contender.

Going to need a goalie? Did Gibson die or something?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it? I didn't name Carlsson. I named proven NHL'ers that are already doing well compared to the rest of the league when they take the ice. It's not a huge step from where they are to what I stated they'd need to get to, and that's not like some unrealistic ask of them. That's pretty much their projection or a little lower than their projection. Those guys aren't 18 years old either. Zegras is 22 now. If he's not that by 25 after he's been given every chance to be that by a team that has nothing to play for and gives him all the ice time in the world, when's that going to happen? Drysdale only a year younger, and McTavish a year younger than that. If it's going to happen for those players, it would very likely be in the window I stated.

And you don't really need to replace as many players as you state. Most of those 16 you name aren't NHL'ers. They have one of the best farm systems in the league. As some of their best prospects are cycled in, they'll improve the team. I think Dostal is their goalie too, and worst case scenario, they can keep Gibson around. He's not their problem. It's what they've iced around him. Only 30 years old. He can be effective for another 5-6 years.

I think it is safe to say that Hagg will likely be playing with Drysdale. I seriously doubt anyone but LaCombe will get regular minutes on the left side unless they just absolutely tear it up in camp. My money would be on Hinds.

Also, 0 chance Gudas or Fowler get traded.
Sorry then, I was using the first lineup I saw posted in the thread.

I'd probably prefer a younger prospect to Hagg. Hagg is not good, and will make that defense worse the more he plays.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
At the end of the day I think we could use 1 more top 10 pick…. Lot of good dmen in this draft…. Would love to add another high end dmen to fill out the d core
Between Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Luneau, Lacombe, Helleson...there are the makings of a future blueline corps there.

Anaheim is still gonna have another top-10 pick. They'll get their defensemen. I think they may be out of Celebrini/Eiserman/Demidov range.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
WTF, he said playoffs, not cup contender.

Going to need a goalie? Did Gibson die or something?
Cup contender? They might not reach that for decades.

Gibson stinks now and will be worse by the time this team makes the playoffs. He won't be the Ducks goaltender by the time they are ready to start winning.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Cup contender? They might not reach that for decades.

Gibson stinks now and will be worse by the time this team makes the playoffs. He won't be the Ducks goaltender by the time they are ready to start winning.
Not sure if you are trolling or being hyperbolic. Decades?

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Not sure if you are trolling or being hyperbolic. Decades?
There is no guarantee any team goes from the bottom to the top. Buffalo is still waiting. Edmonton has got to the point of pretty good, I don’t know if I call them a contender more like they “have a chance”. Rangers have only made it to “pretty good as well. Flyers? Habs? Canucks? BJs? Coyotes? Not everyone just shoots to the top of the league. A lot of things need to go right and it takes time.

Ducks fans seem to be counting a lot of chickens before they have hatched and their faith (and nothing but) in Gibson is to put it mildly is blind at best, not only in his current level but the level he will be at by the time they are ready to compete.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think by the 2025 summer is when the Ducks start to look for missing pieces outside the org to make a deep playoff push. Although, a lot depends on the development of the young Ducks at both the NHL and AHL level this season. If McTavish, Drysdale, and LaCombe all hit at the NHL level while Carlsson pucks-out at the AHL level, then that will lay down a great foundation for the 2024-25 season where the team could be a fringe playoff team as more talent is added at the NHL level via prospect pool.

2023-24
  • NHL
    • Goalie: Dostal becomes full-time NHL backup
    • Forwards:
      • C McTavish takes the next step to be Anaheim's 1C.
      • C Groulx tries to establish himself as a 4C
    • Defense:
      • RD Drysdale needs to stay healthy and show defensive promise
      • LD/RD LaCombe gets his first full NHL experience

• AHL (incoming)
    • Goalies: Clang and Alexander (Alexander might be in the ECHL)
    • Forwards
      • C Carlsson
      • C Gaucher (QMJHL defensive forward PotY)
      • RW/LW Pastujov
      • LW Nesterenko
      • C King (on an AHL contract is what I'm presuming)
    • Defense
      • LD Zellweger (x2 WHL def PotY)
      • LD/RD Hinds (QMJHL def d-man PotY)
      • LD Mintyukov (OHL def PotY)

I think the Ducks will be in the top-10 in the draft. With the surplus of very good talent on the blue line, Anaheim will probably draft a forward to help it's top-6 of the future. Plus, next draft is the draft of the D-men, which will all get pushed up in a rush and cause top quality forwards to drop. The Ducks don't need a top-3 forward pick since it already has Terry, Zegras, McTavish, and Carlsson in tow.

Excluding Drysdale, Anaheim only has one drafted 1st round defenseman with its highly touted defensive prospects: LaCombe (2019 rd 2), Moore (2020, rd 3), Zellweger (2021, rd 2), Hinds (2021, rd 3), Warren (2022, rd 2), and Luneau (2022, rd 2). We did have Thrun (2019, rd 4), but he didn't want to play for the Ducks and was traded to San Jose for its 2024 3rd rd pick. Anaheim doesn't have a problem finding good to great talent for defensemen outside the first round, but it does struggle to find top-6F beyond the top-10 selections.

2024 draft picks
Rd 1. 1 (Ducks)​
Rd 2. 2 (Ducks, Bruins)​
Rd 3. 3 (Ducks, Pens, Sharks)​

2024-25
  • NHL
    • Forwards:
      • C Carlsson debuts in NHL full time
      • C Gaucher debuts as 3C (Lundestrom may not be re-signed)
      • LW Nesterenko debuts as bottom-6F
    • Defense:
      • LD Mintyukov or LD Zellweger debuts in NHL, but not both
      • LD/RD Hinds or RD Helleson debuts in NHL
        I don't think Anaheim will want three defensive rookies in the lineup at the same time

• AHL (incoming)
    • Forwards
      • C/LW Hvidston
      • LW/C Myatovic
      • RW/LW Sidorov
    • Defense
      • RD Luneau (QMJHL def PotY)
      • RD Warren
      • RD Moore (if he signs as a junior from NCAA)

Reactions: MD93 and Macbanan

alsmiss94

Oct 26, 2022
They're going to be bad, probably bottom 5. Their D will still probably be the worst in the league but it should be like normal NHL terrible D as opposed to one of the worst defenses of all time. That should also help their goalies a little bit - they'll still hate their lives but at least they added a couple guys who can clear the crease. It was just a free for all there last season.

I'm excited to see what happens up front. Killorn, McTavish with a full year under his belt plus an actual offseason, maybe Carlsson. Lundestrom being out stinks but forces a guy like Groulx to either show up or be written off.

Eakins out is also great.

So overall they're going to stink but I'm hopeful I won't have to watch a repeat of last year's abomination.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Over half of those responding, felt that this group would easily still be a bottom feeder. Have perceptions changed now, having seen the team on the ice?

They've been far more competitive thus far, doing so without their prize FA acquisition Killorn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad