How many wins for the team this season?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
That's 87 points you have them missing the playoffs that seems unrealistic.

For that to happen at least 1 of Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa or Detroit would have to pass them, and baring SEVERE injury that's unlikely to happen
Anyone having the Leafs missing the playoffs, barring major injuries to key players, have their minds clouded by their hatred for Shanahan and/or the core 4. We have too much talent to allow that to happen. I say we get 109 pts due to early season adjustment to Berube’s system.

Reactions: bax and Evilhomer

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Randy Carlyle won a cup and people view him as a bad coach here

lets wait and see Berubes systems and how the players adapt to them before penciling him as a elite coach

Truth is the playoffs is where will see if he coaches differently than Keefe and can win us rounds. Keefe had strong regular seasons his 5 years here too
I can hardly wait until Berubes tell Marner and Willy no more curling away and giving up on the play. Wait until he wants them to be first on the puck and maybe have to take a hit to make a play. Should be fun

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
hysterical-laughter.gif

Sep 18, 2009
I mean it is embarrassing that the organization of the oil has outperformed the leafs in the playoffs every time

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well it does matter, becuase 45-37 means they likely miss the playoffs.

A Venn diagram of "only playoffs matter" crowd and the "white oakly uncle taking selfies in their truck" is nearly a perfect circle.
You assume they lost 37 regulation games.

All they need to force OT in 10 of those 7 games and they are in the playoffs.

Beside, lets say they miss the playoffs, it is really no different than losing in the first round. Unless making the playoffs is some type of great achievement and it proves that our Betas chokers are still amazing players.

The current Leafs is at a point where it is really Cup or Bust. But they would never say that b/c they don't have any past achievements to back that up, and thats why they are still at, good lessons, we are right there, we are close and if only we get some bounces. While REAL contenders, say Cup or Bust, or we have not won anything.....

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I find this to be an interesting comment. The Leafs are an improved team over last season, and the division (and conference) hasn't really gotten any stronger. I can understand if someone wants to say that Florida, Boston, or even Tampa, have a chance to finish ahead of the Leafs, but the bottom of the Eastern conference is still so bad that it will be almost impossible for the Leafs to miss the playoffs. I know Ottawa wins every summer, but they still won't be a good team. Nor will Buffalo. Detroit managed to get worse, so I think at best they are a bubble team. To be honest, other than Jersey likely moving up and the Islanders missing the playoffs and the Hurricane slipping into a wild card spot, I don't think the top 8 in the East will be much changed from last season. Who knows what happens in the playoffs, but my guess is the Rangers open the season as the favourite to come out of the East.
Have we really improved as much as you think we have?

we lost bertuzzi with no replacement.
We replaced brodie with tanev. Tanev will have to play top pairing + top pk duties and last year he played 19 minutes. I think for at the very minimum he should be able to do it his first year.

we replaced Gio with OEL. again that's an upgrade, but it depends on what OEL is, he was incredibly sheltered on the best defensive team in the league. Will he do as good here?

we are banking on nylander being a 95+ point player again with a slower, older. worse iteration of tavares. Is matthews going to score almost 70 again? How much do knies and robertson progress vs the other young guys in the division?

And as for the rest of the east, I think some natural development has to occur at some point. I know it's funny to joke around about Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit but they will take that next step soon. Detroit didn't even really get much worse, sure they gave away wallman for nothing, but they have edvinsson coming in to take his spot. They added a couple of options in net for stability, and not to mention guys like seider, raymond will take steps forward. This was a team that was neck-and-neck with us almost 60 games into the season. Had Larkin not gotten injured then who knows

Again I'm not saying I expect us to be overtaken, I wouldn't even put the chances at 50%. But this is still the least confident I've been. 19-20 the team was weaker but the division was weaker. I think we see some natural growth from the three teams, and I don't think we actually got as good as people think we did.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

We replaced brodie with tanev. Tanev will have to play top pairing + top pk duties and last year he played 19 minutes. I think for at the very minimum he should be able to do it his first year.

we replaced Gio with OEL. again that's an upgrade, but it depends on what OEL is, he was incredibly sheltered on the best defensive team in the league. Will he do as good here?

we are banking on nylander being a 95+ point player again with a slower, older. worse iteration of tavares. Is matthews going to score almost 70 again? How much do knies and robertson progress vs the other young guys in the division?

And as for the rest of the east, I think some natural development has to occur at some point. I know it's funny to joke around about Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit but they will take that next step soon. Detroit didn't even really get much worse, sure they gave away wallman for nothing, but they have edvinsson coming in to take his spot. They added a couple of options in net for stability, and not to mention guys like seider, raymond will take steps forward. This was a team that was neck-and-neck with us almost 60 games into the season. Had Larkin not gotten injured then who knows

Again I'm not saying I expect us to be overtaken, I wouldn't even put the chances at 50%. But this is still the least confident I've been. 19-20 the team was weaker but the division was weaker. I think we see some natural growth from the three teams, and I don't think we actually got as good as people think we did.
I think people will find that Bertuzzi was not much of a loss at all. His goals will be replaced internally. The real improvement will be the combination of a stronger defense, much more consistent goaltending, and better coaching. Those three things alone probably make the Leafs the best team in the division in the regular season. No clue whether it translates in the playoffs, but we'll worry about that when we get there.

Reactions: bax

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Will they though? I've been hearing that about Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo for close to a decade, and in Buffalo's case I've been hearing about them taking the next step since about 2013, so over a decade for them.

In the case of Ottawa I could see it because they actually have a goaltender now but as of now Ullmark still isn't signed.

Detroit and Buffalo aren't taking the next step, they both got worse.

Zucker is a downgrade on Skinner is healthy and Malinstine and Mclode won't make a damn bit of difference.

Detroit has 4 goalies for some reason and they literally gave away a top 4 D, and a 2nd round pick for nothing, that is one thing I wish Treliving had been in on.

I do like the Tarasenko move though

"Golden State"? Minor league team? What record?

Don't pretend you don't know

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Will they though? I've been hearing that about Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo for close to a decade, and in Buffalo's case I've been hearing about them taking the next step since about 2013, so over a decade for them.

In the case of Ottawa I could see it because they actually have a goaltender now but as of now Ullmark still isn't signed.

Detroit and Buffalo aren't taking the next step, they both got worse.

Zucker is a downgrade on Skinner is healthy and Malinstine and Mclode won't make a damn bit of difference.

Detroit has 4 goalies for some reason and they literally gave away a top 4 D, and a 2nd round pick for nothing, that is one thing I wish Treliving had been in on.

I do like the Tarasenko move though
yea we have been hearing every year that they break out, but at SOME point it does have to happen. The Atlantic has been run by Toronto, Tampa, Boston for 8 years or so. It’s going to change sooner or later.

While ullmark isn’t signed past 2024-25, he is for this next season. He should probably be the best goalie they’ve had since Anderson.

Yes, the moves you said were questionable to bad moves but what about stuff like:

- Thompson and tuch returning to ppg, hell even 70 point players and not being injured
- Buffalo has 3 star defencemen now, can they make it work?
- Edvinsson more than making up for Walman’s departure
- Raymond and Seider taking another step from last year
- Pinto actually plays the entire season

detroit was neck and neck with us by the start of March, Buffalo not as much, but they were still above .500 with not a single 60 point players. Interestingly, they actually let in less goals than us.

both teams probably need something unexpected, like a benson breakout or Kaspar to actually take our spot, but I don’t think its out of the realm of possibility to think they continue to fight for playoff spots late into the season

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
yea we have been hearing every year that they break out, but at SOME point it does have to happen. The Atlantic has been run by Toronto, Tampa, Boston for 8 years or so. It’s going to change sooner or later.

While ullmark isn’t signed past 2024-25, he is for this next season. He should probably be the best goalie they’ve had since Anderson.

Yes, the moves you said were questionable to bad moves but what about stuff like:

- Thompson and tuch returning to ppg, hell even 70 point players and not being injured
- Buffalo has 3 star defencemen now, can they make it work?
- Edvinsson more than making up for Walman’s departure
- Raymond and Seider taking another step from last year
- Pinto actually plays the entire season

detroit was neck and neck with us by the start of March, Buffalo not as much, but they were still above .500 with not a single 60 point players. Interestingly, they actually let in less goals than us.

both teams probably need something unexpected, like a benson breakout or Kaspar to actually take our spot, but I don’t think its out of the realm of possibility to think they continue to fight for playoff spots late into the season

The next step for all 3 teams isn't fighting for playoff spots, it's actually making them can they do that?

Ottawa MAYBE if the Atlantic takes both wildcard spots because, again they have Ullmark that's big for them.

But if the Atlantic doesn't take both wildcard spots I don't think either of Buffalo, Detroit or Ottawa is taking a top 4 spot for at least 3 more years.

I think Tampa is in the early stages of decline but it's going to take at least 3 more years, maybe longer depending on how Moser and Geekie develop

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The core just take too many games off, those games against bottom feeders like Arizona and Montreal in February tend to kill us and our chances of coming top of the division.

I’d expect anywhere from 45-52 but I don’t know if they eclipse 55 tbh

If I had to pick an exact number…48

Under Keefe they took to many nights off because he allowed it.

Berube has a championship ring, he won't allow as many nights off.

Reactions: ACC1224

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Under Keefe they took to many nights off because he allowed it.

Berube has a championship ring, he won't allow as many nights off.
At some point the players need to be given a portion of blame for taking those games off too. It’s been two coaches and they are still doing that.

It’s not like it was just keefe. I mean they took games off with babcock at the helm too. Notorious for starting slow and looking disinterested at times against lesser competition, whilst a bad human babcock still was a good coach with a ring too

I guess I’m just gonna be skeptical until I see them play structured proper hockey against Utah in February or so.

The next step for all 3 teams isn't fighting for playoff spots, it's actually making them can they do that?

Ottawa MAYBE if the Atlantic takes both wildcard spots because, again they have Ullmark that's big for them.

But if the Atlantic doesn't take both wildcard spots I don't think either of Buffalo, Detroit or Ottawa is taking a top 4 spot for at least 3 more years.

I think Tampa is in the early stages of decline but it's going to take at least 3 more years, maybe longer depending on how Moser and Geekie develop
I guess we will see, I suspect we see one of them sneak in sooner than 3 years. Team falloff’s happen quick and unexpectedly

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
51-19-12

Could see them hitting 55 depending on how the OT games shake out. They'll be way more focused this year. Pulled all the right levers in the offseason: new coach, shook up the leadership group, upgraded defense, held onto Marner. Biggest question mark is their goaltending IMO. Have a hunch Woll/Stolarz won't be the tandem come playoff time.

Last edited:

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
All I care is the 16Wins in the playoffs.

Honestly, they can win 45 or 82 wins in the regular season, it won't means much unless they get 16 Wins in the playoffs. , heck I would even be happy if they can get 9 Wins in the playoffs.

Let's not get crazy, an 82 win regular season would be better than a Stanley Cup. The frenzy that built through that season as each team rolled in wanting to be the one to end the streak would be nuts. History would remember that more than any single Stanley Cup.

Somewhere between most regular season Wins of all time (by percentage) and the perfect season is the I don't care point.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Let's not get crazy, an 82 win regular season would be better than a Stanley Cup. The frenzy that built through that season as each team rolled in wanting to be the one to end the streak would be nuts. History would remember that more than any single Stanley Cup.

Somewhere between most regular season Wins of all time (by percentage) and the perfect season is the I don't care point.

Do you think Tom Brady agrees?

He's had the perfect regular season followed by a loss in the one big game that mattered. He's also won seven super bowls. I can't say for sure but I assume that even with seven rings already he would rather have had the eighth than the perfect regular season.

As far as I can tell the "I don't care point" ends when the playoffs start for most people regardless of how well the team performs during the regular season.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Do you think Tom Brady agrees?

He's had the perfect regular season followed by a loss in the one big game that mattered. He's also won seven super bowls. I can't say for sure but I assume that even with seven rings already he would rather have had the eighth than the perfect regular season.

As far as I can tell the "I don't care point" ends when the playoffs start for most people regardless of how well the team performs during the regular season.

82-0 would be a lot more impressive than 16-0. I'm sure Tom Brady would prefer 15-1 with a superbowl.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
82-0 would be a lot more impressive than 16-0. I'm sure Tom Brady would prefer 15-1 with a superbowl.

I guarantee you can outrun me every time regardless of distance or number of races but nobody cares about that either.

They oniy care about who the world's fastest man is and that ain't us.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8