How many wins for the team this season?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wins are irrelevant except for Beliefers and Beibers
Cups is what i count: 0
lol! I read that so much the last year, yet in the PGT’s that feeling just doesn’t come through. After a win it’s feels good man, biker with the weights, Maxine, woohoo, high 5’s, great night’s sleep. After a loss, my god the world has ended fire everybody. Lmao!

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Not sure on a win total but they will get around 120 points. With them finally getting a new coach and the improvements with both the Defense and Goaltending should see them shave off 30 to 50 goals against while still scoring around 300 goals. They could have a goal differential of 60 to 90 goals. Teams with 90 goal differentials not only win their divisions but contend for the President's trophy.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
lol! I read that so much the last year, yet in the PGT’s that feeling just doesn’t come through. After a win it’s feels good man, biker with the weights, Maxine, woohoo, high 5’s, great night’s sleep. After a loss, my god the world has ended fire everybody. Lmao!
It's like this with fans of all teams in every sport, no? Team wins, the world is a great place. Team loses, send them all to the gallows. It just becomes more pronounced when a team has more fans, and the Leafs have far and away the most fans in the NHL.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
We need to win the division. Simple as that, enough of facing these top 5 teams in round 1. We have been capable of winning it the last handful of years but would put up a lottery team worthy record against bad teams which held us in the mediocre middle.

I truly believe this team is much better and ready to win than the one who faced the Habs. I think we need a chance to catch a team like the Islanders or Penguins in round 1 next year where they are clearly not very good.

We need a cultural shift like *tries not to puke* Boston who bring it every single game and manage to go on massive winning streaks. That should be the goal and we should actually care about the presidents trophy this year. It could give us 2 rounds of weaker opponents before they had to eliminate a contender.

BS Regular season doesn't matter. It matters for the playoffs.
That Montreal series was proof positive that there’s no such thing as “an easier opponent” come playoff time with this team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Unless I have tickets, I can’t say I’ve ever planned my life around regular season games.
Well for example, HNIC is like church for me on Sat night when the Leafs play. And also will make an effort to watch the Leafs play at night on TV. But not anymore.

Maybe they won’t be so boring to watch this year?

There’s only about 10 home Saturday night games this year
Not about boring or not but more like let’s see what happens in playoffs.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked how AM chased 70 last season and Willie’s record breaking season till like Jan or something but at the same time, let’s see what they can do in the playoffs.

I am at a point where I wasn’t even disappointed when they lost in OT. In a way, I was actually expecting it to happen as they(players) just don’t give me any confidence that they can win in a do or die game.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's like this with fans of all teams in every sport, no? Team wins, the world is a great place. Team loses, send them all to the gallows. It just becomes more pronounced when a team has more fans, and the Leafs have far and away the most fans in the NHL.
Exactly, fans care about every game, it’s only here that some try and crap on success. I can’t remember one instance in any other sport where a team wins a regular season game and a fan opines big deal wait until the playoffs. lol!

LFKevin21

Jul 3, 2021
People that say the regular season means nothing are out of touch with reality. You HAVE to have a decent regular season to qualify for the playoffs. It's simple, you have to consistently WIN in the regular season to make the post season.

As we Leaf fans already know, a great regular season doesn't mean shit when it comes to experiencing a great playoffs.

I think our Leafs might have some growing pains this coming season. It will take a few weeks for our Leafs to adjust to our new coaching staff and players. Hopefully, they win more games than they lose to start the season.

Also, unless something happens soon with a Marner trade, this will hang over our Leafs for the entire season. I believe that the tension associated with Marner might permeate across the entire organization, including with his teammates.

I'd like to see a minimum of 50 wins. 55 wins and winning the division would be optimum to me.

The NHL has to scrub this stupid playoff ranking system that sees TOP regular season teams playing each other in the 1st round. This PUNISHES these teams for having great seasons. The conference 1st overall should always play the 8th, the 2nd should play the 7th etc. Please NHL, get rid of the divisional and wild card shit !!!

JMHO.
This year the ranking system worked out as 1 vs 8 and so on in the eastern conference. The Leafs were fifth in the east and they played fourth place Boston. It doesn't always work that way, but if you are good enough to win it all, it shouldn't matter who you play.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Exactly, fans care about every game, it’s only here that some try and crap on success. I can’t remember one instance in any other sport where a team wins a regular season game and a fan opines big deal wait until the playoffs. lol!
1 playoff round win in 8 years will have this effect on a certain portion of the base.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That's fine if that's what you think, I disagree, I'm not sure how you can be a bad coach and win a Stanley cup that's impossible.

And because I know he's going to get mentioned, Babcock's ability to coach has nothing to do with why he's not coaching
Randy Carlyle won a cup and people view him as a bad coach here

lets wait and see Berubes systems and how the players adapt to them before penciling him as a elite coach

Truth is the playoffs is where will see if he coaches differently than Keefe and can win us rounds. Keefe had strong regular seasons his 5 years here too

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
37-37-8. The Marner Fiasco effects the team greatly and wrecks the season. It'll be blamed on the coach (unjustly) and not on the real culprits, Tre, Shanny, Blue Glasses Guy, and most of all the Marner Camp.

Reactions: IPS

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
37-37-8. The Marner Fiasco effects the team greatly and wrecks the season. It'll be blamed on the coach (unjustly) and not on the real culprits, Tre, Shanny, Blue Glasses Guy, and most of all the Marner Camp.

I think that you are close. 39-36-9

Marner Fiasco , I can't see this not being a thing. Either way, the best-case scenario means little drama around Marner playing too many minutes chasing 100 points. I'm not seeing Leafs winning division anytime soon.

But I can also imagine Mitch losing his s*t and things going really ugly real fast.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Randy Carlyle won a cup and people view him as a bad coach here

lets wait and see Berubes systems and how the players adapt to them before penciling him as a elite coach

Truth is the playoffs is where will see if he coaches differently than Keefe and can win us rounds. Keefe had strong regular seasons his 5 years here too

I don't think Carlyle is a bad coach either, I don't think bad coaches win championships and went to a final 4 after that.

I would agree he wasn't the right coach for the group but he's not a bad coach

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think that you are close. 39-36-9

Marner Fiasco , I can't see this not being a thing. Either way, the best-case scenario means little drama around Marner playing too many minutes chasing 100 points. I'm not seeing Leafs winning division anytime soon.

But I can also imagine Mitch losing his s*t and things going really ugly real fast.

That's 87 points you have them missing the playoffs that seems unrealistic.

For that to happen at least 1 of Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa or Detroit would have to pass them, and baring SEVERE injury that's unlikely to happen

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
That's 87 points you have them missing the playoffs that seems unrealistic.

For that to happen at least 1 of Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa or Detroit would have to pass them, and baring SEVERE injury that's unlikely to happen
I mean it’s improbable but it could happen if:

- woll and stolarz can’t get it together. Give us .890-.900 goaltending each
- Tanev gets injured like he does and OEL is unable to provide offence
- Berube runs a system that doesn’t work defensively with our personnel. Keefe actually ran one that worked incredibly well for 3-4 years, so we we could take a step back.
- nylander returns to his ppgish self and Tavares declines again
- mcmann and Benoit are not able to replicate their last season and we are even thinner depth-wise

moreover, teams are going to get better from Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo. Whilst yes their off seasons all sucked imo, they all have a ton of talented rookies/youngsters who are waiting to take that next step

Buffalo: Cozens, Peterka, Quinn, Rosen, Benson, Powers, Levi…etc

Detroit: Raymond, Seider, Edvinsson

Ottawa: Pinto, Sanderson, Greig, Stutzle. Adding ullmark was big

Now I’m not gonna act like everyone else’s youngsters get better and ours (knies, Robertson…etc) don’t, but most teams have more young guys so their growth will help them a lot.

It’s unlikely the leafs miss the playoffs, but this would be the least confident I’ve felt about them making it since I’ve started watching

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean it’s improbable but it could happen if:

- woll and stolarz can’t get it together. Give us .890-.900 goaltending each
- Tanev gets injured like he does and OEL is unable to provide offence
- Berube runs a system that doesn’t work defensively with our personnel. Keefe actually ran one that worked incredibly well for 3-4 years, so we we could take a step back.
- nylander returns to his ppgish self and Tavares declines again
- mcmann and Benoit are not able to replicate their last season and we are even thinner depth-wise

moreover, teams are going to get better from Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo. Whilst yes their off seasons all sucked imo, they all have a ton of talented rookies/youngsters who are waiting to take that next step

Buffalo: Cozens, Peterka, Quinn, Rosen, Benson, Powers, Levi…etc

Detroit: Raymond, Seider, Edvinsson

Ottawa: Pinto, Sanderson, Greig, Stutzle. Adding ullmark was big

Now I’m not gonna act like everyone else’s youngsters get better and ours (knies, Robertson…etc) don’t, but most teams have more young guys so their growth will help them a lot.

It’s unlikely the leafs miss the playoffs, but this would be the least confident I’ve felt about them making it since I’ve started watching

Honestly I've been hearing about Buffalo and their young core for over a decade I will believe it when I see it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I find this to be an interesting comment. The Leafs are an improved team over last season, and the division (and conference) hasn't really gotten any stronger. I can understand if someone wants to say that Florida, Boston, or even Tampa, have a chance to finish ahead of the Leafs, but the bottom of the Eastern conference is still so bad that it will be almost impossible for the Leafs to miss the playoffs. I know Ottawa wins every summer, but they still won't be a good team. Nor will Buffalo. Detroit managed to get worse, so I think at best they are a bubble team. To be honest, other than Jersey likely moving up and the Islanders missing the playoffs and the Hurricane slipping into a wild card spot, I don't think the top 8 in the East will be much changed from last season. Who knows what happens in the playoffs, but my guess is the Rangers open the season as the favourite to come out of the East.

Reactions: Auston Marlander

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I find this to be an interesting comment. The Leafs are an improved team over last season, and the division (and conference) hasn't really gotten any stronger. I can understand if someone wants to say that Florida, Boston, or even Tampa, have a chance to finish ahead of the Leafs, but the bottom of the Eastern conference is still so bad that it will be almost impossible for the Leafs to miss the playoffs. I know Ottawa wins every summer, but they still won't be a good team. Nor will Buffalo. Detroit managed to get worse, so I think at best they are a bubble team. To be honest, other than Jersey likely moving up and the Islanders missing the playoffs and the Hurricane slipping into a wild card spot, I don't think the top 8 in the East will be much changed from last season. Who knows what happens in the playoffs, but my guess is the Rangers open the season as the favourite to come out of the East.
The East is definitely weak again this year and the Rangers could win it despite having both Panarin and Zabinijad

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Couldn't care less how many they win in the regular season, but in the playoffs I'll go with less than 4.
well if it's less than 40 and there is no PO, is that equal to a 55 win season to you? Because, while 1st round losses are crushing disappointments, I remember the feeling of hopelessness between 2005-20016 being way worse. But that's me, I tend to prefer a Leaf win over a Leaf loss in the regular season. 82 games attended by tens of thousands of people, paying hundreds of dollars for the privilege on top of that, doesn't strike me as meaningless. Do you just tune into NHL come 3rd week in April? If so why would you comment on a hockey board in August if you "couldn't care less"? I think your comment rings hollow and you are still pouting

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
All I care is the 16Wins in the playoffs.

Honestly, they can win 45 or 82 wins in the regular season, it won't means much unless they get 16 Wins in the playoffs. , heck I would even be happy if they can get 9 Wins in the playoffs.

Well it does matter, becuase 45-37 means they likely miss the playoffs.

A Venn diagram of "only playoffs matter" crowd and the "white oakly uncle taking selfies in their truck" is nearly a perfect circle.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00