How many wins for the team this season?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Now I know It's going to be hard for some of you to actually participate in the topic and your response will be something along the lines of "who cares, the regular season doesn't matter." and to those people I'm going to say, if it's to hard for you don't even respond because it's August 1 there is nothing better to talk about so let's stay on topic.

Now for the rest of you I ask how many wins do you think this team gets this season?

The team record is 55 wins and while I don't think they get that, I do think they get 52, and I think they have a shot to break the team record of 55.

My reasoing is simple, I don't think the offense is any worse but I do think the coaching, defense and goaltending are much better, I don't think you are going to see goaltending single handily lose them countless games like it did last year, I mean at one point Samsonov had an 860 save% people like to blame the defense for that, not me I will never blame the defense for an 860 save%, to me anything below 900 is a goaltending issue and when you get to 860 that's not even a goaltending issue, at that point the guy can't be used.

My one concern with goaltending is Woll's health, he can't be missing big chunks of the season like he did last year, he's got to get his shit together and stay healthy, he is incredibly talented, he can be the guy but he's got to be available to play.

As for coaching, it's going to be nice to have an actual NHL coach behind the bench, somebody that will actually make in game adjustments, somebody that won't walk back any sort of criticism of his team because he's not a gutless coward, and most importantly somebody who has WON, and brought in assistants who have won like Lane Lambert.

A lot of people think coaching doesn't make a difference I disagree I think coaching is huge and I think having multiple winners behind the bench makes a difference.

And with the defense, I really like what they did with the defense, I do wonder What's going on with Hakanpaa, and I am a little disapointed they didn't land Matt Roy because it sounds like they were real close.

But regardless I love the Tanev signing he's going to fit like a glove next to Rielly.

And I get the sense I'm in the minority but I like the OEL signing, I think our top 4 got a significant upgrade.

I don't have any concerns about the offense they are always a top 5-10 scoring team, there is no reason to believe baring injury they won't be again.

I have some concerns, mainly Woll's health but overall I'm very optimistic, I have them at 52 wins, with a chance to set a new franchise record.

So long as they are relatively healthy, I think this is a VERY good team.

And if they aren't healthy the 2025 1st is top 10 protected.

But yeah I'm VERY optimistic about this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm with you. 55 is a pretty high mark to hit, but if the goaltending holds up they should be close to that.

I'll say 53, if I have to pick a number.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We need to win the division. Simple as that, enough of facing these top 5 teams in round 1. We have been capable of winning it the last handful of years but would put up a lottery team worthy record against bad teams which held us in the mediocre middle.

I truly believe this team is much better and ready to win than the one who faced the Habs. I think we need a chance to catch a team like the Islanders or Penguins in round 1 next year where they are clearly not very good.

We need a cultural shift like *tries not to puke* Boston who bring it every single game and manage to go on massive winning streaks. That should be the goal and we should actually care about the presidents trophy this year. It could give us 2 rounds of weaker opponents before they had to eliminate a contender.

BS Regular season doesn't matter. It matters for the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We need to win the division. Simple as that, enough of facing these top 5 teams in round 1. We have been capable of winning it the last handful of years but would put up a lottery team worthy record against bad teams which held us in the mediocre middle.

I truly believe this team is much better and ready to win than the one who faced the Habs. I think we need a chance to catch a team like the Islanders or Penguins in round 1 next year where they are clearly not very good.

We need a cultural shift like *tries not to puke* Boston who bring it every single game and manage to go on massive winning streaks. That should be the goal and we should actually care about the presidents trophy this year. It could give us 2 rounds of weaker opponents before they had to eliminate a contender.

BS Regular season doesn't matter. It matters for the playoffs.

Agreed the president trophy should be a goal, get them a matchup with a Washington, NYI, Pittsburgh, Detroit, maybe Ottawa

Reactions: Confucius

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm with you. 55 is a pretty high mark to hit, but if the goaltending holds up they should be close to that.

I'll say 53, if I have to pick a number.

I mean you don't have to, but that's what I'm looking for.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Really hard to say. If the team adjusts well to Berube and make strides towards a winning culture, and more importantly Marner is able to keep the shambles out of his brain, we've got a kick at 53ish wins. On the other, I've felt for a few years now that this core sees the writing on the wall that it's just not working and at some point they'll implode during the regular season. Tavares is likely to regress more, Nylander and Matthews are unlikely to hit the same levels they did last year, and Marner is the aforementioned wildcard due to his contract year. Could be amazing, could be another puck over the glass. The depth is adequate but unspectacular.

D is probably better than last year, but is still not as good as when we had Muzzin. Goaltending is still hopes and question marks. We shouldn't have another Sievesonov meltdown, but we're asking a guy with ~45 NHL games to be our starter.

I'll guess 47-28-7.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
All I care is the 16Wins in the playoffs.

Honestly, they can win 45 or 82 wins in the regular season, it won't means much unless they get 16 Wins in the playoffs. , heck I would even be happy if they can get 9 Wins in the playoffs.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Our division got stronger not weaker.

Did it? I mean yeah Ottawa probably Did but they weren't a playoff team anyway.

I don't think Buffalo did, in fact I think they take a step back.

Did Detroit? I don't think so, they literally gave away a top 4 D AND a 2nd for free?

Did Montreal? I'm not sure how?

Did Boston? That's a tough one on defense yes, up front not sure, in net no chance.

Did Tampa? I don't think so they did replace Stamkos but they lost Sergachev.

I'm not sure how you argue Florida is better after losing Montour, OEL and Lomberg.

Ottawa and Toronto got better, the rest? are you sure?

All I care is the 16Wins in the playoffs.

Honestly, they can win 45 or 82 wins in the regular season, it won't means much unless they get 16 Wins in the playoffs. , heck I would even be happy if they can get 9 Wins in the playoffs.

Fair enough but they need to play hockey for 6 months first

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think they probably win 50 in their sleep, and I will probably care about maybe 3 or 4 of those wins, if that. My guess is that Florida and Boston have fallen back enough, or simply don't care as much about the regular season, that Toronto could actually win the division this year. That would be the best outcome for this team in terms of regular season performance. But how anyone can get excited about how many goals Matthews' scores or points Nylander gets is beyond me. Could care less. So many of these regular season games will be meaningless.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
"That should be the goal and we should actually care about the presidents trophy this year. It could give us 2 rounds of weaker opponents before they had to eliminate a contender.

BS Regular season doesn't matter. It matters for the playoffs."

I much prefer this attitude. Than

"But how anyone can get excited about how many goals Matthews' scores or points Nylander gets is beyond me. Could care less. So many of these regular season games will be meaningless."

We want our stars piling up the numbers. Making teams look amateur and having that cold blooded get everything they can mentality at all times. I'm sick of the country club atmosphere.

Reactions: Auston Marlander

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
"That should be the goal and we should actually care about the presidents trophy this year. It could give us 2 rounds of weaker opponents before they had to eliminate a contender.

BS Regular season doesn't matter. It matters for the playoffs."

I much prefer this attitude. Than

"But how anyone can get excited about how many goals Matthews' scores or points Nylander gets is beyond me. Could care less. So many of these regular season games will be meaningless."

We want our stars piling up the numbers. Making teams look amateur and having that cold blooded get everything they can mentality at all times. I'm sick of the country club atmosphere.

What they need most is to develop a real team identity that works in the playoffs and learn to play and win that way in the regular season. Sure you might be at 85% exertion or less or whatever when you’re playing the 82 game marathon, but it’s got to be the same plan, same roles, same attitude but you ramp it up a little bit.

Versus the way they were winning vs Boston in the first round. That brand of hockey was convincing and interesting as a last gasp but it didn’t look anything like when they were ripping off winning streaks and on cruise control.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
48 including OT, 8 OTL and 3 in the playoffs.

I think they probably win 50 in their sleep, and I will probably care about maybe 3 or 4 of those wins, if that. My guess is that Florida and Boston have fallen back enough, or simply don't care as much about the regular season, that Toronto could actually win the division this year. That would be the best outcome for this team in terms of regular season performance. But how anyone can get excited about how many goals Matthews' scores or points Nylander gets is beyond me. Could care less. So many of these regular season games will be meaningless.
This is year one of Buff or Ott actually play decent enough to steal a few points from the 3 big boys, the Leafs and Tampa.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
48 including OT, 8 OTL and 3 in the playoffs.

This is year one of Buff or Ott actually play decent enough to steal a few points from the 3 big boys, the Leafs and Tampa.

I will believe that when I see it, especially when it comes to Buffalo

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The core just take too many games off, those games against bottom feeders like Arizona and Montreal in February tend to kill us and our chances of coming top of the division.

I’d expect anywhere from 45-52 but I don’t know if they eclipse 55 tbh

If I had to pick an exact number…48

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'd like to see 50 wins and 110 points.

I think those are reasonable targets. I don't see 55, but you won't hear me complain if they hit it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1