How Many Seasons of Peak Gretzky is Worth More than Marleau's Entire Career?

How little of Gretzky's career does it take to surpass Marleau's total career value?

• 1 period of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 game of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 2 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 5 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 10 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 40 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 10 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 11 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 12 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 13 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 14 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 15 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 16 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 17 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 18 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 19 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This thread is created because I think we have a fairly wide interpretation of the value of longevity.

The question in this thread pertains to regular season value only.

Patrick Marleau Career Totals:

1779 games played
566 goals
631 assists

If you are a general manager and you get to choose between having Patrick Marleau for his entire career, or a partial career from Wayne Gretzky that includes his peak, how many seasons or games from Wayne Gretzky does it take to get to the point where you take that over Patrick Marleau - knowing you get his entire career?

You can assume Gretzky's best seasons are prioritized first and descend from there.

What is the smallest amount of Gretzky's career that you would, as a GM, take over Patrick Marleau's entire career?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Man, and to think I thought I thought some weird thoughts.

82 games, if the playoff run is included in that. Because if you’re even remotely a playoff team, you should have a good shot at a cup, you’re marketable as hell for a year, it’s cool, I make that trade. 20 years of Marleau is nice, he coulda maybe contributed to a cup in another timeline, but even a year of Gretzky is worth the career of a very good player. That’s my logic, at least.

Edit, oh shit, I should read. Regular season only? Well that’s just silly, if the whole point is always to win the cup then the whole point of argument is off. It’s like “how many hrs of driving in a porsche vs being able to have a Honda Civic for free, but it’s all in bumper-to-bumper traffic.”

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Depends how good your team is.

If I’m the Edmonton Oilers who are pretty much there with all their youngsters locked up, a Pavelski could pretty much have them close to the finals every single year of his career, no?

Whereas Gretzky would basically guarantee it for them, so we have to ask ourselves:

How many cups does Pavelski at 18-40 win with the assumed core of Hyman, McDavid, Draisatl, Nuge & Bouchard?

However many cups do you think they win with him? Whatever number that is during that time, you take that number and add +1 with Gretzky.

I’m sure this is a flawed way to look at it, but their on ice values is how many cups they can help bring so however many cups Pavs can win in a career versus how many guaranteed cups they get with Gretz.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Im more confident in a team winning with 1 year of peak Gretzky than the same team winning once with Marleau over his entire career. I think longveity counts for alot when it comes to players of similiar caliber(say Crosby vs Forsberg) but less so when it's players of entirely different stature.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Marleau isn’t a difference-maker. Take 1 year of Gretzky and run. His impact on his teammates would likely be huge even after leaving too.

And if this is based on the ideas about Lemieux from the goal scoring thread, I’d take 1/3 of a season from Lemieux over a full year from Marleau as well

Last edited:

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
The ultimate goal is to win the Cup, so you should pick the player who will maximize your chances of winning.

Peak Gretzky, roughly from 1982 to 1987, led his team to three Stanley Cup wins during that period.

Patrick Marleau’s contribution resulted in a whopping one Stanley Cup Final appearance over 23 years, with zero Stanley Cup win

Therefore, anything between one playoff run and three seasons of peak Gretzky is a good answer.

This is why peak performance has more impact on the game than longevity.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
As a Sharks fan, it was awesome watching Patty's career, but I'd trade it all for a successful cup run. Therefore since this is only regular season, it would be 2-3 seasons of Gretz / who cares, but the real answer is one playoff run. Like these guys said...
One playoff run

Man, and to think I thought I thought some weird thoughts.

82 games, if the playoff run is included in that. Because if you’re even remotely a playoff team, you should have a good shot at a cup, you’re marketable as hell for a year, it’s cool, I make that trade. 20 years of Marleau is nice, he coulda maybe contributed to a cup in another timeline, but even a year of Gretzky is worth the career of a very good player. That’s my logic, at least.

Edit, oh shit, I should read. Regular season only? Well that’s just silly, if the whole point is always to win the cup then the whole point of argument is off. It’s like “how many hrs of driving in a porsche vs being able to have a Honda Civic for free, but it’s all in bumper-to-bumper traffic.”

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
That team also won a cup without Gretzky.

They won just two years after Gretzky left, the winning culture of the Oilers was already well established due to Gretzky.

Not gonna lie, It also helps to have a natural-born leader like Messier as Gretzky’s successor.

Reactions: Video Nasty

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I voted 1 shift because I think it was a funny option. The reality is I think it's likely 1-2 seasons.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If it’s just regular season and that’s what used to measure, then the ultimate goal is the presidents trophy and personal accolades of the team.

1 year, maybe 2. I think if any somewhat decent team (league placement of 16 and up) adds prime Gretzky to their team, they should be in the fight for that. Moreover, give him a consistent 30 goal scorer and he can turn him into a rocket contender. Not to mention Gretzky will be in the hart, Ross, Lindsay, maybe even rocket himself competition, and he’d be the favourite.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Im more confident in a team winning with 1 year of peak Gretzky than the same team winning once with Marleau over his entire career.

Over the course of 20 seasons, aren't the odds of any random team winning a cup in a 32 team league about 62.5%?

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Over the course of 20 seasons, aren't the odds of any random team winning a cup in a 32 team league about 62.5%?
If the odds are straight even, then it's 1- the chance you never win in 20 years, which is 31/32^20. 1-0.53 or 47% chance you win a cup in 20 years with straight odds, but...

1) odds are not straight
2) we already know what Marleau's career was with the sharks and we won zero cups.

I thought of this as dropping peak Gretz into an actual sharks team from his career. And that player probably makes that Sharks team (especially in the Thornton era) the front runner for a cup.

If we get him for the playoffs.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
1-3 seasons. I voted 3, just in case they're not cup contenders that 1st year. With Gretzky, you should be able to at least contend within those 3 years.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I'm not a particularly big fan of Marleau as a player, ( I don't have him anywhere near the HOF for ex), but anyone saying less than a few seasons is selling him very short or overestimating the impact of Gretzky.

I would say 4 seasons of Gretzky is where I feel better about my chances of winning a cup with him than in the 15 productive years a very good but not franchise altering player like Marleau gives.

No player in history = an automatic cup so thinking one/two years of 99 is a slam dunk is ridiculous, as evidenced by his 4 cups in 20 seasons. Lemieux and Orr only 2 each, McDavid zero to date.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I know, which is why Gretzky is a great yard stick to measure against.

I think you're being a bit sensitive.

Watching one season of the greatest player to ever step onto the ice and perform at the level he did, while leading his team to a Cup is worth more than watching a merely good player suit up night in and night out for twenty three seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad