How many players in the NHL are shorter/taller than their listed heights?

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Seems like everyone in this thread is also 6'0 or above
😁 I'm 6' (183cm) in bare feet with a shaved head.

It's funny how women especially will think I'm taller like 185cm or up to 6'2" because of just how common it is for guys who're "just under 6'" (some in boots and a hat 😂) to demand that they're 6'

As to the OP literally every short guy in the NHL has his height listed taller. Typically several inches.

Screen-Shot-Media-What-is-a-manlet-Here-s-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-internet-s-favourite-trolling-term-meme.png

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Most will be shorter

I’m 6’4” and stood next to guys listed at my height. We were absolutely level but they were in skates. One an ex NHL guy, one AHL.
Which is pretty much in line with my "2 inches off" comment. I often wondered how much of it is just that.

Tie Domi was listed the same.

Much like professional wrestling, NHL heights are wildly exaggerated. Not sure about weight though.
Tie is one who is shorter than listed, having stood beside and spoke with him before he made the NHL (his AHL days).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You right. I always thought Makin was 6'4. He's may very well be 6'3 and Ovi around 6'1.

ovi-malkin.jpg

I think Matthews is roughly the same size as Ovi.

I was within two feet of Ovechkin before, and I remember having a good laugh years later when I saw him listed at 6'3. Probably 6'1. Crosby is also certainly not his listed 5'11 but something close to 5'9. Athletes, like many other guys, exaggerate their height, though the taller player listings are probably more accurate. Not everyone is 6'5 and made of solid steel and sex appeal like me, no matter how many claim it.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What's the point of exaggerating height in hockey? Basketball I understand, but hockey the puck is played on the ice.
In my experience on HFBoards, the majority of posters believe height to be important. Me, I will take mass if I am going to put value on a measure.

Kristo

Dec 26, 2021
Sometimes players height listings can vary from one season to another (or while changing team). This is one reason why you can't fully trust the listed heights for NHL players.

If I remember correctly Loui Eriksson usted to be listed as 6'1 in the beginning of his NHL career. Later he was listed as 6'3, but now he has been listed as 6'2 for quite some time. I think Alexander Steen has been listed as 5'11, 6'0 and 6'1. Anton Stralman was listed as 6'1 while playing for Toronto. But now hes's been listed as 5'11 for a long time. Did he shrunk?

Former NHL defenseman Brian Campbell used to be listed as 6'0 after the lockout, but this was later changed to 5'10. Glen Metropolit was also listed as 6'0 but this was later changed to 5'10.

But I think it's more common that NHL players get a taller listed height after playing for some time. Ovechkin and Jagr are some good examples. Jason Arnott was listed as 6'3 in Edmonton but was listed as 6'5 in his later career. Mats Sundin was listed as 6'3 while playing for Quebec (I think I even saw 6'2 in an old NHL video game) but later he was 6'4 and then 6'5 for many years until retirement. It's possible for men to grow after the age of 18, but on average most people have stopped growing at 18. There are some exceptions. Tanev, for example, grew quite a lot after 18.

Not saying that all the heights I've mentioned are correct, but after I've double checked with old hockey cards and such it seems to be correct.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
5'11.75" here. Some guys have gotten legitimately angry with me when I say my exact height since they're a little shorter than me but claim to be 6' or taller.

In the NFL, players are measured at the combine and their heights are rounded to the nearest inch - so you and I would both be 6' by NFL standards. I'd imagine the NHL does something similar, which is why Matthews who is probably a hair over 6'2" is listed at 6'3"

I think the NFL Combine happening a bit later in players' life/career tends to reduce a little bit of the room to exaggerate size later. It's all a big spectacle with numbers readily available to the public. And because they're all 21-25+ years old, it's a lot less believable if their height starts creeping up somehow after that combine measurement.

Whereas with the NHL...the draft combine likes to hide information away, and because we're talking about 17-18 year olds anyway, it does introduce at least a small measure of plausibility that some players could ultimately play an inch or two taller than their combine measurement.

Malkin has to be pushing 6 ft 5. Looks like one of the tallest players out there whenever I catch a Pens game. 6 ft 3 seems like the rare understated listed height.

I think this is also kind of hinting at a couple other elements in the "height/size" discussion.

1. Height is just one dimensional measurement of "size". The actual build and frame of a player can make a big difference, and particularly affect the "appearance of size" on and off the ice. You can have two guys of identical height, but when you start talking about things like "wingspan" that can be a pronounced difference. Functionally and visually.

ie. This is what is meant when people talk about a "Projectable Frame". In actual practice, that sort of functional length and reach is more important than how high the top of their head is above ice level. Some guys are built really lanky with big wingspan, long legs, etc. that competes with their height. Some are built really compact and stalky with shorter limbs. Some players come with broad shoulders and a big barrel chest that makes them look a lot "bigger" and more "imposing" and generally lets them carry more weight more effectively. Some are just "small boned" and tend to always look "smaller" than even their actual height. There's a whole huge range of that stuff that goes well beyond just being 6'0" or whatever.

An incredibly pronounced example of that, was Cody Hodgson. I think he was generally listed at ~6'0"? He may well have even been that, or 5'11" or close enough. But you will not find a stumpier, shorter-limbed player of that height. It was glaringly obvious on the ice. Giving up effective range/reach to "smaller" players, and seriously impacting his skating stride/efficiency and potential for improvement there.

Which leads into the second aspect of this...

2. Different skating styles can also really impact perceptions of a player's "size" on the ice. Malkin definitely does look very tall on the ice. He obviously is quite tall, but i think it's accentuated by his skating and playing style. He plays a lot very "upright". Elias Pettersson is also an extremely lanky, upright skater that tends to make him actually look "taller" on the ice.

Whereas someone like Brady Skjei skates around like he was folded in half in a box for too long and got stuck that way. Which tends to make him actually look a fair bit "shorter" than he is, but also somehow...heavier?

That sort of stuff can all really impact perceptions of "size" on the ice. It can have practical, functional effects too.

Reactions: CartographerNo611

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Obviously a Canes fan, I can tell you Sebastian Aho isn't close to 5'11 I'm just a shade over 6' barefoot and he's almost a head shorter than me, Maybe 5'8.

Dougie Hamilton though is definitely a true 6'5.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You right. I always thought Makin was 6'4. He's may very well be 6'3 and Ovi around 6'1.

ovi-malkin.jpg

Having met OV when he was drafted we were almost exactly the same size, him maybe just a hair taller.

I'm 5'11.5 to 6'0 flat depending on how my back is doing any given day (minor lumbar lordosis).

If you think the NHL is bad about it though you should see football with smaller defensive backs. I've seen guys in college that were listed at 6'0 that were maybe 5'8 at best and I went to a bit of a football factory for undergrad.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was within two feet of Ovechkin before, and I remember having a good laugh years later when I saw him listed at 6'3. Probably 6'1. Crosby is also certainly not his listed 5'11 but something close to 5'9. Athletes, like many other guys, exaggerate their height, though the taller player listings are probably more accurate. Not everyone is 6'5 and made of solid steel and sex appeal like me, no matter how many claim it.
Should it be exaggerated given that the top 80-100 players or something get officially measured at the nhl draft combine?

Sid, Ovy, Mathews, Malkin, etc it should be official. A late round pick that didn’t go to the combine I can understand a variance.

Nfl combine everything goes off that for their height. Again, weight will fluctuate over time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Having met OV when he was drafted we were almost exactly the same size, him maybe just a hair taller.

I'm 5'11.5 to 6'0 flat depending on how my back is doing any given day (minor lumbar lordosis).

If you think the NHL is bad about it though you should see football with smaller defensive backs. I've seen guys in college that were listed at 6'0 that were maybe 5'8 at best and I went to a bit of a football factory for undergrad.

Football can definitely be hilarious in the Collegiate ranks. But part of why it's so funny, is because in the end...almost everyone bound for the NFL game at least, is going to get very officially measured at some point. Be that the Draft Combine, or something like the Senior Bowl/Shrine Game. So you more often than not, get to see that "listing" contrasted with an actual precise measurement as a stop along the way to the Pro game.

It can be pretty funny when guys come out of the combine like they spent too long in the dryer. Significantly smaller than purported in their NCAA bio.

The one thing that never seems to shrink at the NFL combine, is a prospect's 40 yard dash time.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

ovi-malkin.jpg

Malkin's weight is allegedly 194lbs/88kg which just can't be true. That would mean Ovechkin is around 40lbs/20kg heavier than him.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Measure yourself first thing in the morning, and then again in the night before bed and you will be taller in the morning.

So yeah, they all will have variety.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Looking at their Capfriendly heights I'd says these guys are all shorter than listed.

2 inches of exaggeration, maybe more
Marcus Foligno 6' 3"
Jack Eichel 6' 2"

Pretty close, maybe 1 inch or less
Zemgus Girgensons 6'2"
Brad May 6'1"
Jake McCabe 6'1"

Granted... I ran into all these guys in various stages of drinking out on the town over 6-8 years ago so my memory of events isn't perfect. I do remember getting bro bugs from Eichel and Girgs and they felt like they were carved from stone, dudes were seriously ripped.

I was 6'2" at 18 and then must have grown an inch in my 20's. Didn't get measured again until my 30's and I'm up to 6'3". For 15 years I'd been telling people I was 6'2" when I was actually 6'3". And I've met countless guys who claimed to be in that 6'2"-6'4" range who were noticeably shorter than me, clearly exaggerating by 2+ inches.

Never met a guy who claimed to be 6'5" or taller who wasn't noticeably taller than me.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Looking at their Capfriendly heights I'd says these guys are all shorter than listed.

2 inches of exaggeration, maybe more
Marcus Foligno 6' 3"
Jack Eichel 6' 2"

Pretty close, maybe 1 inch or less
Zemgus Girgensons 6'2"
Brad May 6'1"
Jake McCabe 6'1"

Granted... I ran into all these guys in various stages of drinking out on the town over 6-8 years ago so my memory of events isn't perfect. I do remember getting bro bugs from Eichel and Girgs and they felt like they were carved from stone, dudes were seriously ripped.

I was 6'2" at 18 and then must have grown an inch in my 20's. Didn't get measured again until my 30's and I'm up to 6'3". For 15 years I'd been telling people I was 6'2" when I was actually 6'3". And I've met countless guys who claimed to be in that 6'2"-6'4" range who were noticeably shorter than me, clearly exaggerating by 2+ inches.

Never met a guy who claimed to be 6'5" or taller who wasn't noticeably taller than me.
Foligno is every bit of 6’2-6’3
Eichel is absolutely 6’2 or taller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad