How many players in the NHL are shorter/taller than their listed heights?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
6'3" Auston Matthews with 5'9" Adam Sandler.
orpgjtg9yml31.jpg

6'3" Matthews with the equally tall 6'3" Russell Westbrook.
russell-westbrook-auston-matthews-and-morgan-rielly.JPG

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Anyone that was truly 5'11 would just lie and go with 6'0.
I am 6'0'' in reality, and once got measured at the doctor's office at 5'11''.

I was in a bad mood that day and refused to go to the appointment unless they measured me again.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Most of them as depending on where you look the numbers can be different, even very different.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
orpgjtg9yml31.jpg

Forced perspective is why pictures and film are not to be trusted. I mean if Peter Jackson can make an actor that is 6'0.5" tall look under 5 feet for his movie...

Reactions: wizmet12

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Opposite end of this, I mismeasured myself when I was 21 or so and went about 5-6 years thinking I was 5’7. Got properly measured and found out I’m actually 5’9, probably even a touch higher when I’m in fighting shape and my posture is better.

Throughout it all, life was good regardless.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Forced perspective is why pictures and film are not to be trusted. I mean if Peter Jackson can make an actor that is 6'0.5" tall look under 5 feet for his movie...

I’d prefer to not get into what forced perspective actually is. But two guys standing next to each other isn’t it.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Ovechkin and Malkin are both listed at 6’3” but Malkin is a solid two inches taller than Ovy.

You right. I always thought Makin was 6'4. He's may very well be 6'3 and Ovi around 6'1.

ovi-malkin.jpg

I think Matthews is roughly the same size as Ovi.

Last edited:

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal

2 guys standing next to each other is forced perspective? The Westbrook pic has a wonky angle, true, but the Adam Sandler one makes it really hard to believe Matthews is 6’3". They’re not 6" apart.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
I met Brad Marchand years ago and that man is not 5'9. I'm 6'0 and it felt he was nearly a head below me. He was with Greg Campbell, who was an absolute beast of a man. Also I was really surprised to read that Campbell was listed as 6'0 because he seemed way taller than that.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I’d prefer to not get into what forced perspective actually is. But two guys standing next to each other isn’t it.
No, not exactly but it is perspective in that the way the picture was taken can give a different as aspect. How about accidental perspective which gives the picture the look of forced perspective when two people that are supposedly 2 very different heights seem to be the same. Better?

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Guys always think they are taller than they actually are. I’ve seen a study couple of years ago that said that men believe they are 2 inches taller than they actually are.

Ask any tall women (5’9 and up) and they’ll told you to never believe a men that says he is 6’0”.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
No, not exactly but it is perspective in that the way the picture was taken can give a different as aspect. How about accidental perspective which gives the picture the look of forced perspective when two people that are supposedly 2 very different heights seem to be the same. Better?
Ok. I’ll zip it down to brass tacks. AM34 is shorter than Russel Westbrook and is appropriately depicted in that photo.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Dubois was once 6'3 and now listed as 6'2. Same with Bogosian.

My friend is tall, once met Wheeler and Laine and claimed Laine was a little bit taller and Wheeler is like 6'4.5.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
orpgjtg9yml31.jpg

You do realize that Matthews and rielly look to have opposite Heights in the same picture right?

Being Close to camera Changes things.

I met rielly. I am much taller (6 7) he looks about 6 1 in real life. I was surprised how big he looked. I thought he was smaller

Chara is like 6 7. No way he is 6 9.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
You do realize that Matthews and rielly look to have opposite Heights in the same picture right?

Being Close to camera Changes things.

I met rielly. I am much taller (6 7) he looks about 6 1 in real life. I was surprised how big he looked. I thought he was smaller

Chara is like 6 7. No way he is 6 9.
I’m talking about 5’9"-5’10" Adam Sandler, not Morgan Rielly.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Malkin has to be pushing 6 ft 5. Looks like one of the tallest players out there whenever I catch a Pens game. 6 ft 3 seems like the rare understated listed height.

Dudes in general lie about their height though. Im a legit 5 ft 10, 179 cm and look down on fellow self proclaimed 5 ft 10s. The guys I know above 6 ft 1 seem pretty honest with their heights. No wonder women demand 6 footers on tinder lmao. Its a crap shoot anything under 6 ft 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
So many guys lie about their heights. I’m a legit 6’0 on the dot. I have met many guys who claim to be 6’0 and I am definitely taller than them.

I think for hockey players many get measured with their skates on and that adds an extra 2 inches.

Reactions: CartographerNo611

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I do believe in general there are many contexts in North America where height matters more than in Sweden. I am 5'9ish. When I was in the states several people asked if I was 6 foot as I was noticably taller than them and they used to give their height as 5'9 to 5'11..

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Malkin has to be pushing 6 ft 5. Looks like one of the tallest players out there whenever I catch a Pens game. 6 ft 3 seems like the rare understated listed height.

Dudes in general lie about their height though. Im a legit 5 ft 10, 179 cm and look down on fellow self proclaimed 5 ft 10s. The guys I know above 6 ft 1 seem pretty honest with their heights. No wonder women demand 6 footers on tinder lmao. Its a crap shoot anything under 6 ft 1.
So many guys lie about their heights. I’m a legit 6’0 on the dot. I have met many guys who claim to be 6’0 and I am definitely taller than them.

I think for hockey players many get measured with their skates on and that adds an extra 2 inches.
I don’t think it’s a lie so much as it is a snowball effect of ignorance. If a guy claims 5’10 but is actually 5’8 and you’re a bit taller but never measured yourself, you might say you’re 5’11-6’ by using him as a reference and this happens a lot.

Most people overestimate their heights by a good 2" usually. The most egregious example I saw was a 5’9" dude claiming he was 6ft tall lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seedtype and DaveG

ijuka

May 14, 2016
5'11.75" here. Some guys have gotten legitimately angry with me when I say my exact height since they're a little shorter than me but claim to be 6' or taller.
Height changes pretty significantly by the time of day, so using such accurate measurements seems pretty strange to me. I'd round to the nearest half an inch if I was using that system instead of cm. Using quarter inches is sort of like using half cms, and I've never seen anyone doing so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad