How many followed from Hartford to Carolina?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I'm a new Canes fan but it's really deeper than that. Man when I was a kid my uncle was a hardcore Whaler fan, had a Hartford Gordie Howe sweater hangin' on his wall. We went to some games together too. Unca died before the franchise moved to Raleigh. Don't know if he'd be happy with that... All that being said RIP Uncle Shorty & Mr. Hockey, you both made little Kevs realize he loves hockey.

QuebeCaniac

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal
I grew up in Quebec City and officially became a Whalers fan the day the Nordiques left town. I remember listening to Chuck Kaiton on the radio in my basement (unless the UConn basketball game was broadcasted instead of the Whalers game. God I hated it when it happened!).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I grew up north of Boston. You'd think it would be natural that I became a Bruins fan right? Not so much, I didn't hate the Bruins to the same extent to someone that was a true diehard Whalers fan but in a way I quite possibly hated Bruins FANS just as much if not more with the amount of abuse I took at my age from the kids in my area that were B's fans. I took the approach where if they were clearly B's fans than I was undoubtedly going to go for whoever their rivals were, giving me 2 options: the Habs or the Whale. I liked the Whalers logo more and loosely followed the team for a while.

While we moved away from the area it was not particularly close to where any other teams played out of so I followed college hockey for a while (which WAS local), somewhat following the Whale and the Pens since they had Francis by then. I move down to NC in 96, team follows me the next year.

I remember just absolutely trolling my friends with the Whalers in NHL 94 and 95. We'd institute "no Penguins" rules to keep people from just steamrolling, so as a result I picked the Whale every time and just ruined peoples day with Sanderson instead. Can't stop what you can't catch and dude was f***ing warp speed in that series.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I grew up north of Boston. You'd think it would be natural that I became a Bruins fan right? Not so much, I didn't hate the Bruins to the same extent to someone that was a true diehard Whalers fan but in a way I quite possibly hated Bruins FANS just as much if not more with the amount of abuse I took at my age from the kids in my area that were B's fans. I took the approach where if they were clearly B's fans than I was undoubtedly going to go for whoever their rivals were, giving me 2 options: the Habs or the Whale. I liked the Whalers logo more and loosely followed the team for a while.

While we moved away from the area it was not particularly close to where any other teams played out of so I followed college hockey for a while (which WAS local), somewhat following the Whale and the Pens since they had Francis by then. I move down to NC in 96, team follows me the next year.

I remember just absolutely trolling my friends with the Whalers in NHL 94 and 95. We'd institute "no Penguins" rules to keep people from just steamrolling, so as a result I picked the Whale every time and just ruined peoples day with Sanderson instead. Can't stop what you can't catch and dude was ****ing warp speed in that series.
I totally f***ing cried reading that. I would give ANYTHING to have my Whalers come back as an expansion team, and there literally has never been a single day since they died that I didn't think about them and how much I miss them. I have never loved any team in any sport as much as I loved that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad