How good would Crosby have been if not for injuries?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Anything is possible when it comes to the beautiful game of what if that can never be refuted (or proven). Maybe he’s better. Maybe he averages 2 PPG for 6-8 years because he happened to have one 25 game heater in 2010-2011.

Or maybe, just maybe, considering that even after missing 29 games in his third season and 101 games in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012, he’s still averaging 67 games per season over his 19 year career, which has league shortened 48, 56, and 69 game seasons factored in, and seems likely to play somewhere between the 25th-30th most games ever…we’ve seen enough. There’s not exactly a crime against humanity here.

The guy is going to play more games than Orr and first retirement Mario combined. His career is not a huge what if scenario.

Flippant remarks aside, for a guy who was feared to have very little career remaining back in 2012, it’s gone remarkably well. Isn’t it enough that’s he’s considered in the #6-8 range, #5 for people not ready to crown a superior player yet, and never displayed anything that would make one think he’d ever crack The Big Four?

Reactions: WalterLundy

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
We have seen Crosby's best. At most he missed 2-3 art ross trophies from 10-11, 11-12, 12-13. Obviously makes his trophy case look better. Probably makes it easier to bump him up all time.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby fully realized his potential. He's as good as he could have been.

The only place for improvement is his career. And if no injuries - yes that means more individual trophies, and probably a couple of really nice peak seasons.

I have him #5 right now - on the upper end of projections with no injuries, he'd definitely be a concensus #5 and possibly make into a big 5.
Crosby was never the same after jan 1st 2011. Whether that was him deciding to change his game to stay healthier or the blows affecting him directly. Regardless he was never the same again.

Reactions: frisco

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Quoting myself from another thread:

I'll make the case for how Crosby could have ended up the consensus #5 player all-time.

Let's assume that he missed a bit less time during his peak (but he doesn't have perfect health - so he still misses 29 games in 2008, 28 games in 2020, 13 games last year, etc). Specifically let's give him 40 games in 2011, 55 games in 2012, 10 games in 2013, and 5 games in 2015. That's 110 extra games (9% of his current career total).

The biggest issue with Crosby's resume now is he never had an all-time great season. Sure, 2007 and 2014 were very good, but he doesn't have a truly historic season (like Beliveau in 1956, Hull in 1966, Jagr in 1999, Ovechkin in 2008 etc). He was playing exceptionally well in 2011 through 2013 (during those three years, he averaged 132 points per 82 games - Malkin averaged 98, and the closest non-teammate, Stamkos, averaged 95). If Crosby was fully healthy during that period, he would have had one of the greatest peaks of any player in NHL history. Instead, we have a really strong level of performance, but that's based on parts of three seasons mashed together.

If we assume Crosby plays those extra 110 games, he'd have:
  • six Art Ross trophies (tied with Howe and Lemieux for the second-most ever) - it's possible he only ends up with five as it's unclear how his return would have impacted Malkin in 2012, who won the Art Ross that year, but worst case he's tied for 4th all-time with Jagr and Esposito.
  • 14 years as a top ten scorer (more than anyone except Howe and Gretzky) and 11 years in the top five (also more than anyone except those two legends)
  • probably four Hart trophies (2007, 2011, 2013 and probably still 2014 - let's assume voter fatigue in 2012 and 2015), again only Gretzky and Howe would have more
  • probably nine years as a Hart finalist (you'd have to think he'd be a finalist in at least two of 2011, 2012 and 2015), which again would rank him behind only Howe and Gretzky
  • at least five years as a first-team all-star (four in real life plus at least 2011) and five years as a second-team all-star (four in real life plus 2012) - he'd rank behind Gretzky (8/7) and Beliveau (6/4), but ahead of every other centre in NHL history including Lemieux
  • I've often said that it's misleading to look at goals or assists in isolation, but for those that do, he'd have three goal-scoring titles as a playmaking centre (two actual, plus 2011) and possibly four straight assist titles (2012-2015) with three years as runner-up (2007, 2009, 2011)
  • I don't think career numbers (especially when unadjusted) are overly informative, but if he plays those extra 110 games, and plays five more seasons (until he's 40 - a longer career, but not exceptional these days for a star player), he likely finishes his career right around 700 goals (as a playmaking centre in a low-scoring era), over 1,200 assists (3rd all-time), and maybe one season away from 2,000 points (something only Gretzky has ever achieved).
  • he certainly isn't Clarke or Bergeron defensively, but Crosby massively tilts the ice at ES (R-ON/OFF has its limitations, but in this case, the result it shows - Crosby being a historically great ES performer - is completely consistent with what watching the games tells you)
  • Crosby played in three major international tournaments and helped Canada win the gold medal in all three. He was clearly the best player at the 2016 World Cup (leading scorer and tournament MVP). He was good in 2010 (scoring the "golden goal", and was tied for 2nd on the team in scoring). He was definitely underwhelming in 2014 though.
  • Crosby is one of only six players in NHL history to score 200+ playoff points (four of the players ahead were on the Oilers dynasty, and he did it in 33 fewer games than Jagr). Crosby could end up in 4th place all-time (or even 3rd if he asks for a trade to contending team).
  • Crosby is probably the best playoff performer of the post-lockout era. His critics say that his 2016 Conn Smythe was a lifetime achievement award. But he played on four Stanley Cup finalists. He was probably the team's best player twice (2008 and 2017), runner-up once (2009), and even in 2016 he was one of four players who had a valid case for the trophy. He also has several other very strong (non-SCF) performances - 2010 and 2018 stand out. (How many other players post-2005 approach that resume? Among forwards, Malkin, Kane, and Kucherov can match Crosby's peak playoff performances, but none have sustained that level of play with the same amount of consistency).
If Crosby had this resume, he'd be (more or less) the consensus #5 all-time. I currently have Beliveau fifth, and the resume above looks clearly better to me. And I don't think there would be any reasonable case to rank Jagr, Ovechkin, Hull, Richard, etc above him.

A few caveats so I don't get misquoted on this in the future:
  • Crosby doesn't deserve credit for what could have happened. Crosby (like every player) should be judged based on what he actually accomplished, not hypotheticals.
  • McDavid looks like he'll be able to put together a regular season resume that should be pretty close to what hypothetical-Crosby could have done. That's extraordinary, and that will give him a legitimate case for #5 all-time. (He needs to do more in the playoffs, but he has time).
  • I've assumed that Crosby would have actually maintained his pace in 2011 through 2013. Who knows if that's true? It's concerning that he spent three years playing at a 130-point pace, but only scored 109 and 104 points in the two full seasons that sandwiched that span. That calls into question if that pace was really sustainable.
  • I've assumed that nothing changes in Crosby's later career if he's healthy during his peak. It's possible that after September 2016 (with four Hart trophies, five or six scoring titles, three Olympic gold medals - including the "golden goal" and a tournament MVP, and a Stanley Cup), Crosby would have felt like he accomplished enough. He might not have been as motivated the next few seasons and lost out on two Stanley Cups and two Conn Smythes. That's a big part of his legacy. This probably isn't a big issue (as Crosby seems to be remarkably focused and motivated), but there's always a risk in assuming nothing else changes along the way (butterfly effect).
====

* Just to show my math on the career totals. As of today Crosby has 548 goals and 949 assists. We'll conservatively assume he ends the season with 550 & 950 (1,500 points). With 110 games at his peak, he would have got at least 50 goals and 95 assists (145 points). Then if he plays five more seasons - let's assume 320 games (to be conservative, we'll assume he misses around one season's worth of games). Crosby's on pace for 93 points this year. Let's be pessimistic and assume that he'll average (from age 36 to 40) 25 goals and 45 assists (70 points) per 82 games. That works out to (roughly) another 95 goals and 175 assists. Add all this together and you get 695 goals, 1,220 assists, and 1,915 points.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Quoting myself from another thread:

I'll make the case for how Crosby could have ended up the consensus #5 player all-time.

Let's assume that he missed a bit less time during his peak (but he doesn't have perfect health - so he still misses 29 games in 2008, 28 games in 2020, 13 games last year, etc). Specifically let's give him 40 games in 2011, 55 games in 2012, 10 games in 2013, and 5 games in 2015. That's 110 extra games (9% of his current career total).

The biggest issue with Crosby's resume now is he never had an all-time great season. Sure, 2007 and 2014 were very good, but he doesn't have a truly historic season (like Beliveau in 1956, Hull in 1966, Jagr in 1999, Ovechkin in 2008 etc). He was playing exceptionally well in 2011 through 2013 (during those three years, he averaged 132 points per 82 games - Malkin averaged 98, and the closest non-teammate, Stamkos, averaged 95). If Crosby was fully healthy during that period, he would have had one of the greatest peaks of any player in NHL history. Instead, we have a really strong level of performance, but that's based on parts of three seasons mashed together.

If we assume Crosby plays those extra 110 games, he'd have:
  • six Art Ross trophies (tied with Howe and Lemieux for the second-most ever) - it's possible he only ends up with five as it's unclear how his return would have impacted Malkin in 2012, who won the Art Ross that year, but worst case he's tied for 4th all-time with Jagr and Esposito.
  • 14 years as a top ten scorer (more than anyone except Howe and Gretzky) and 11 years in the top five (also more than anyone except those two legends)
  • probably four Hart trophies (2007, 2011, 2013 and probably still 2014 - let's assume voter fatigue in 2012 and 2015), again only Gretzky and Howe would have more
  • probably nine years as a Hart finalist (you'd have to think he'd be a finalist in at least two of 2011, 2012 and 2015), which again would rank him behind only Howe and Gretzky
  • at least five years as a first-team all-star (four in real life plus at least 2011) and five years as a second-team all-star (four in real life plus 2012) - he'd rank behind Gretzky (8/7) and Beliveau (6/4), but ahead of every other centre in NHL history including Lemieux
  • I've often said that it's misleading to look at goals or assists in isolation, but for those that do, he'd have three goal-scoring titles as a playmaking centre (two actual, plus 2011) and possibly four straight assist titles (2012-2015) with three years as runner-up (2007, 2009, 2011)
  • I don't think career numbers (especially when unadjusted) are overly informative, but if he plays those extra 110 games, and plays five more seasons (until he's 40 - a longer career, but not exceptional these days for a star player), he likely finishes his career right around 700 goals (as a playmaking centre in a low-scoring era), over 1,200 assists (3rd all-time), and maybe one season away from 2,000 points (something only Gretzky has ever achieved).
  • he certainly isn't Clarke or Bergeron defensively, but Crosby massively tilts the ice at ES (R-ON/OFF has its limitations, but in this case, the result it shows - Crosby being a historically great ES performer - is completely consistent with what watching the games tells you)
  • Crosby played in three major international tournaments and helped Canada win the gold medal in all three. He was clearly the best player at the 2016 World Cup (leading scorer and tournament MVP). He was good in 2010 (scoring the "golden goal", and was tied for 2nd on the team in scoring). He was definitely underwhelming in 2014 though.
  • Crosby is one of only six players in NHL history to score 200+ playoff points (four of the players ahead were on the Oilers dynasty, and he did it in 33 fewer games than Jagr). Crosby could end up in 4th place all-time (or even 3rd if he asks for a trade to contending team).
  • Crosby is probably the best playoff performer of the post-lockout era. His critics say that his 2016 Conn Smythe was a lifetime achievement award. But he played on four Stanley Cup finalists. He was probably the team's best player twice (2008 and 2017), runner-up once (2009), and even in 2016 he was one of four players who had a valid case for the trophy. He also has several other very strong (non-SCF) performances - 2010 and 2018 stand out. (How many other players post-2005 approach that resume? Among forwards, Malkin, Kane, and Kucherov can match Crosby's peak playoff performances, but none have sustained that level of play with the same amount of consistency).
If Crosby had this resume, he'd be (more or less) the consensus #5 all-time. I currently have Beliveau fifth, and the resume above looks clearly better to me. And I don't think there would be any reasonable case to rank Jagr, Ovechkin, Hull, Richard, etc above him.

A few caveats so I don't get misquoted on this in the future:
  • Crosby doesn't deserve credit for what could have happened. Crosby (like every player) should be judged based on what he actually accomplished, not hypotheticals.
  • McDavid looks like he'll be able to put together a regular season resume that should be pretty close to what hypothetical-Crosby could have done. That's extraordinary, and that will give him a legitimate case for #5 all-time. (He needs to do more in the playoffs, but he has time).
  • I've assumed that Crosby would have actually maintained his pace in 2011 through 2013. Who knows if that's true? It's concerning that he spent three years playing at a 130-point pace, but only scored 109 and 104 points in the two full seasons that sandwiched that span. That calls into question if that pace was really sustainable.
  • I've assumed that nothing changes in Crosby's later career if he's healthy during his peak. It's possible that after September 2016 (with four Hart trophies, five or six scoring titles, three Olympic gold medals - including the "golden goal" and a tournament MVP, and a Stanley Cup), Crosby would have felt like he accomplished enough. He might not have been as motivated the next few seasons and lost out on two Stanley Cups and two Conn Smythes. That's a big part of his legacy. This probably isn't a big issue (as Crosby seems to be remarkably focused and motivated), but there's always a risk in assuming nothing else changes along the way (butterfly effect).
====

* Just to show my math on the career totals. As of today Crosby has 548 goals and 949 assists. We'll conservatively assume he ends the season with 550 & 950 (1,500 points). With 110 games at his peak, he would have got at least 50 goals and 95 assists (145 points). Then if he plays five more seasons - let's assume 320 games (to be conservative, we'll assume he misses around one season's worth of games). Crosby's on pace for 93 points this year. Let's be pessimistic and assume that he'll average (from age 36 to 40) 25 goals and 45 assists (70 points) per 82 games. That works out to (roughly) another 95 goals and 175 assists. Add all this together and you get 695 goals, 1,220 assists, and 1,915 points.

Yeah, but if you are generous with hand waving Crosby‘s missed time and what if scenarios, then you have to do it for every other all-timer, which changes all the trophy counts you’re sliding him next to or behind.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Yeah, but if you are generous with hand waving Crosby‘s missed time and what if scenarios, then you have to do it for every other all-timer, which changes all the trophy counts you’re sliding him next to or behind.

He’d still look strong regardless.

It only makes him look bad if we do the exercise with Orr, Lemieux and Gretzky, but it doesn’t matter cause Crosby was never on the same tier anyway.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby played in three major international tournaments and helped Canada win the gold medal in all three. He was clearly the best player at the 2016 World Cup (leading scorer and tournament MVP). He was good in 2010 (scoring the "golden goal", and was tied for 2nd on the team in scoring). He was definitely underwhelming in 2014 though.

Crosby was the team's best forward when it counted the most, the SFs and Final against the two toughest opponents. He was the centerpiece on a team that was designed to play Babcock's puck possession style. As boring as that tournament was due to this style, the 2014 team was the most dominant Gold medal winner in the NHL/Olympic era. Although they did not run roughshod over their opponents, it never felt like this team was at risk of losing.

This is similar to the 2016 Pens team; a dominating team effort that saw Crosby playing great 2-way hockey and stepping up when needed.

If he is judged by his statistics only, then most other forwards were underwhelming outside of those racking up points against easy opponents, which sounds strange to say for such a dominating team.

Similar to his NHL career, where he is leading scorer in both the regular season and the playoffs for a team that has been the most successful during his career, he has the most points for Team Canada over those three tournaments, all of them wins, and two of which he was Captain.

Under his tutelage, Canada has not lost in a best-on-best competition.

Reactions: sanscosm

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
We also can’t say that what we actually saw from Crosby was the clear cut best level of play in a short sample size from the 06-17 range/era. When he was active in 2011-2012 in his two small stretches he never was leading in anything so that 22 game sample means absolutely nothing. His 2013 was excellent and obviously the 2011 when active was as well. With that said his 2011 while being his best isn’t better than the rest of the post lockout peak spans. 09-10 Ovechkin up to the Olympics is better. We all know Ovi massively fell off after that point and it proves projections and pace are completely meaningless but Ovi’s peak level achieved was better than Crosby’s. If we project out for other players like is done for Crosby it is nullified.

2011 Crosby:
41 GP: 32 G, 34 A, 66 P (1.61)

2010 Ovechkin 2 games before Olympic break:
52 GP: 42 G, 46 A, 88 P (1.69)

Ovi’s is better regular and also when adjusted.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
We also can’t say that what we actually saw from Crosby was the clear cut best level of play in a short sample size from the 06-17 range/era. When he was active in 2011-2012 in his two small stretches he never was leading in anything so that 22 game sample means absolutely nothing. His 2013 was excellent and obviously the 2011 when active was as well. With that said his 2011 while being his best isn’t better than the rest of the post lockout peak spans. 09-10 Ovechkin up to the Olympics is better. We all know Ovi massively fell off after that point and it proves projections and pace are completely meaningless but Ovi’s peak level achieved was better than Crosby’s. If we project out for other players like is done for Crosby it is nullified.

2011 Crosby:

Ovechkin's case is strange because he fell off permanently. He went from a ~110 point player to a ~PPG player overnight. I think Crosby gets more of the benefit of the doubt because he's been closer to the level he was at when he was at his best than Ovechkin has been to his peak level.

But I've brought this up before: If Ovechkin had gotten hurt for the year when he had 88 points in 52 games, some might be questioning if he could have sustained a pace of about 140 points that season. That season was back when the Capitals played an offensive style and before guys like Green and Semin dropped off and before Backstrom's injury.

Also, if Ovechkin plays about a dozen more games in 2009 and 2010, maybe he wins two additional Art Rosses, another Rocket Richard and one more Hart. For an all-time goal scorer, a total of three Art Ross trophies would look really good.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Ovechkin's case is strange because he fell off permanently. He went from a ~110 point player to a ~PPG player overnight. I think Crosby gets more of the benefit of the doubt because he's been closer to the level he was at when he was at his best than Ovechkin has been to his peak level.

But I've brought this up before: If Ovechkin had gotten hurt for the year when he had 88 points in 52 games, some might be questioning if he could have sustained a pace of about 140 points that season. That season was back when the Capitals played an offensive style and before guys like Green and Semin dropped off and before Backstrom's injury.

Also, if Ovechkin plays about a dozen more games in 2009 and 2010, maybe he wins two additional Art Rosses, another Rocket Richard and one more Hart. For an all-time goal scorer, a total of three Art Ross trophies would look really good.
Agreed on all points. I’ve been more critical of Crosby as a generational offensive talent than most especially given where I’m from and the team I support but he’s been remarkably consistent as a point producer. While Ovi has sustained great goal scoring he hasn’t produced like Crosby has since 2011 on a per game basis. From 2006 to 2010 though different story as Crosby and Ovechkin were even for ppg and Ovi honestly has the better stretch there overall. He was electric in his stat prime there. You are right about the Ovechkin points you made.

Reactions: DitchMarner

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Agreed on all points. I’ve been more critical of Crosby as a generational offensive talent than most especially given where I’m from and the team I support but he’s been remarkably consistent as a point producer. While Ovi has sustained great goal scoring he hasn’t produced like Crosby has since 2011 on a per game basis. From 2006 to 2010 though different story as Crosby and Ovechkin were even for ppg and Ovi honestly has the better stretch there overall. He was electric in his stat prime there. You are right about the Ovechkin points you made.

I consider Ovechkin better in four of their first five seasons and he has the best two or three full seasons between them. He was also very good in the playoffs in that time frame, so he loses nothing there. I do think Crosby has surpassed him by now because of better consistency (he's usually been better over the last 14 years when healthy). It seems like the general consensus now is that Crosby is the better all-time player. If he had been healthier at his peak, it would be clearer. But as some have pointed, if you play the what-if card, you have to do it for other players as well. Ovechkin could realistically have won quite a lot more hardware if he had played just twelve more games at his peak. If he had three Art Ross trophies to Crosby's two, I think a lot more people (now and especially in the future) would put him above Crosby. Some people 20 to 30 years from now wouldn't really care who brought more outside of offense and would simply conclude that the guy who is arguably the greatest goal scorer ever and who also has more scoring titles is the superior all-time player.

Things have worked out very well for Crosby despite his injury problems. I don't know if you really need to entertain what-if scenarios for him.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010

Crosby also fell off overnight. In the 5 seasons after his dominant 2014 season he played 77, 80, 75, 82 and 79 games but still didn't win a single Art Ross. He only once finished within 10 points (4 points behind Jamie Benn).

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
I don’t get this argument, he literally had to change his game cause he couldn’t survive off his initial style, some guys are built for it, some are not.

If you put rookie Crosby in this era though, I think he’d be McDavid tier but with better defense.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Crosby also fell off overnight. In the 5 seasons after his dominant 2014 season he played 77, 80, 75, 82 and 79 games but still didn't win a single Art Ross. He only once finished within 10 points (4 points behind Jamie Benn).
After 2014, he finished 3rd, 3rd, and 2nd in points (in that order). He was three points behind Benn despite Crosby missing five games.

If that's "fell off overnight" I wonder how long you sleep on average...

Reactions: sanscosm

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

2011 Crosby:

I agree that Ovechkin probably had the best sustained stretch of play (more than half a season in this case) post-lockout to when McDavid began to run the show. Thornton's immediate impact when traded to San Jose also springs to mind.

Crosby himself had a comparable longer stretch of play that seems to only ever be brought up by myself of all people.

After a four point night on February 19, 2007, Crosby had 69 assists and 95 points in 56 games (59 team games). He had a 15 point lead on Lecavalier, who played 4 more games at that point, and was up by 16-20 points over St.Louis, Savard, and Thornton, who rounded out the top 5.

Of course, he ended up with 97 assists, 134 points, and a 20 point Art Ross win, since pace is iron-clad around these parts.

I don’t get this argument, he literally had to change his game cause he couldn’t survive off his initial style, some guys are built for it, some are not.

If you put rookie Crosby in this era though, I think he’d be McDavid tier but with better defense.

Rookie Crosby with better defense now? Oh brother, the legend is getting more puffed up and he's not even retired yet.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree that Ovechkin probably had the best sustained stretch of play (more than half a season in this case) post-lockout to when McDavid began to run the show. Thornton's immediate impact when traded to San Jose also springs to mind.

Crosby himself had a comparable longer stretch of play that seems to only ever be brought up by myself of all people.

After a four point night on February 19, 2007, Crosby had 69 assists and 95 points in 56 games (59 team games). He had a 15 point lead on Lecavalier, who played 4 more games at that point, and was up by 16-20 points over St.Louis, Savard, and Thornton, who rounded out the top 5.

Of course, he ended up with 97 assists, 134 points, and a 20 point Art Ross win, since pace is iron-clad around these parts.

Rookie Crosby with better defense now? Oh brother, the legend is getting more puffed up and he's not even retired yet.
That’s right and how I see it as well. 2007 Crosby also had 82 points in his first 47 games. That stretch when era adjusted actually is slightly higher than his 2011 41 games by hockey reference standards and is just a tad below by ESG/PPG/SHG adjustment. What he did in 2007 on a per game basis was at worst as good as anything we saw from 2011-2013 Crosby in a relative sense goals fetishism aside. We saw peak Crosby. It just so happens that while it was still incredible it wasn’t better than the 09-10 Ovi pre Olympics rampage, or what I saw Kucherov and MacKinnon (and McDavid) do last year, or anywhere close to McDavid 2021/2023. It wasn’t as good as Jagr in 1999, 2000 or 1996. It wasn’t as good as anything Lemieux did in 88, 89, 90, 92, 93 or 96. It wasn’t as good as anything Gretzky did from 81-91 11 years consecutively.

For the record I still have him 5-7 range all time. I think he’s everything you’d want in a Franchise center. He’s a better player than MacKinnon and Kucherov just a lesser absolute peak offensive output. He just isn’t this earth shattering generational offensive talent at peak. I’ve seen those and I know the difference for sure.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

2011 Crosby:

Ovechkin is better regular and also when adjusted.

After his 52nd game, Ovechkin was on pace for a 60 goal/125 point season. His PPG was 37% better than the avg. PPG of the Top Ten in PPG. FOUR players on his team are within 100% of his point total.

After his 39th game (he gets concussed early in game 40), he is on pace for a 67 goal/137 point season. His PPG was 39% better than the avg. PPG of the Top Ten in PPG. ZERO players on his team are within 100% of his point total.
And Crosby is playing a great 2-way game, Ovechkin is given the greenlight to be all out offense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: norrisnick

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Crosby wasn't playing defense in the regular season in the late Bylsma era. Not to trash your entire math equation, but let's not sell a hill of beans here either...Pascal Dupuis was often handling F1/C duties in this timeframe.

In the playoffs, Crosby was generally always good or better defensively...but this is a regular season discussion in the complicated-offense-or-nothing Bylsma implosion days, that team was loosey goosey and Crosby was left higher in the attack zone to spur the rush a la Gretzky with Kurri,,,

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
After his 52nd game, Ovechkin was on pace for a 61 goal/128 point season. His PPG was 37% better than the avg. PPG of the Top Ten in PPG. FOUR players on his team are within 100% of his point total.

After his 39th game (he gets concussed early in game 40), he is on pace for a 67 goal/137 point season. His PPG was 39% better than the avg. PPG of the Top Ten in PPG. ZERO players on his team are within 100% of his point total.
And Crosby is playing a great 2-way game, Ovechkin is given the greenlight to be all out offense.

After 56 games (59 team games) in 2006-2007, Crosby’s PPG was 33% better than the average PPG of the top 10 in PPG. By season’s end, it dropped to 19%.

I guess my point is what it always is…pace doesn’t mean jack, unless the player is Gretzky, Lemieux, and to a lesser extent, McDavid.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
That’s right and how I see it as well. 2007 Crosby also had 82 points in his first 47 games. That stretch when era adjusted actually is slightly higher than his 2011 41 games by hockey reference standards and is just a tad below by ESG/PPG/SHG adjustment. What he did in 2007 on a per game basis was at worst as good as anything we saw from 2011-2013 Crosby in a relative sense goals fetishism aside. We saw peak Crosby. It just so happens that while it was still incredible it wasn’t better than the 09-10 Ovi pre Olympics rampage, or what I saw Kucherov and MacKinnon (and McDavid) do last year, or anywhere close to McDavid 2021/2023. It wasn’t as good as Jagr in 1999, 2000 or 1996. It wasn’t as good as anything Lemieux did in 88, 89, 90, 92, 93 or 96. It wasn’t as good as anything Gretzky did from 81-91 11 years consecutively.

For the record I still have him 5-7 range all time. I think he’s everything you’d want in a Franchise center. He’s a better player than MacKinnon and Kucherov just a lesser absolute peak offensive output. He just isn’t this earth shattering generational offensive talent at peak. I’ve seen those and I know the difference for sure.

Bringing up his 82 in 47 is a great addition and really points to how romanticized a season becomes when a player can’t complete it due to injury. The talk is always about 66 in 41, but you rarely hear a peep about what he did during the first half up to even the first three quarters of the season in 2006-2007, a year he did win the awards.

It’s always been fairly clear to me that he’s likely getting 115 in a complete 2010-2011, maybe 120.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Bringing up his 82 in 47 is a great addition and really points to how romanticized a season becomes when a player can’t complete it due to injury. The talk is always about 66 in 41, but you rarely hear a peep about what he did during the first half up to even the first three quarters of the season in 2006-2007, a year he did win the awards.

It’s always been fairly clear to me that he’s likely getting 115 in a complete 2010-2011, maybe 120.
To be fair, 120 at that time is still really, really damn good. We didn't see anyone hit 120 for a 12 year stretch (I know Ovechkin paced for 122 and Malkin for 119 in that time, those seasons are why I'm fairly confident he would have done it as they are all very close to each other at their peaks.)

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
After his 52nd game, Ovechkin was on pace for a 61 goal/128 point season. His PPG was 37% better than the avg. PPG of the Top Ten in PPG. FOUR players on his team are within 100% of his point total.

How did you get these numbers?

He had 42 goals, 88 points in 52 games.

He was scoring at a pace of 66 goals (42 divided by 52, multiplied by 82) and 139 points (88 divided by 52, multiplied by 82) per 82 games.

Last edited:

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA

Absolutely. You won’t hear it because it doesn’t fit a narrative that Crosby frankly doesn’t need. His career is just fine without a fantasy peak.

As for 2011 yeah I agree that 115-120 is the range that he’d land in even if it’s all speculative. He and Stamkos were at 32 and 31 goals respectively when Crosby’s season ended. Stamkos obviously tailed off big time for goals and Crosby’s career high was 51 just a season prior. I say it’s fair to assume he matches/slightly breaks that mark. 50-55 goals, 115-20 points are reasonable estimates for 2011 Crosby. Would be in the 130s in todays game with close to 60 goals. Would be comparable to 2024 MacKinnon best case scenario. A fantastic potential season here to be sure but we have seen better just post lockout alone.

Reactions: Video Nasty

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
2011 Crosby had 65 points in 39 before the Washington game, to give some idea, top 5 points after that game in the nhl:

Sedin: 59 (47 games)
Perry: 56
Iginla: 52
St-Louis:51
Selanne: 47

.... 55 points to finish with 120 is certainly reasonable, it would be keeping up with Corey Perry getting hot that won the hart for that second half level of play, that putting an incredible first half + Perry second half together.

Better than Stamkos going from 56 down to 39 between those 2 halves.

If he play 40 games and get his career (at that point) 1.39ppg, that 55-56 points.

120 points in 2011, that 50% higher than the #10 scorer (Zetterberg 80pts now that Crosby take a spot), that about the same as 1999 Jagr (53%) , 2023 McDavid (50%) or 2024 Kucherov (47%), i.e. clearly among the best non Gretzky-Lemieux-Esposito season in that regard, would trail Yzerman 155 (58%) and some others that I cannot think of, but would be up there with the best of them.

120 points in 2011 Hockey, it is really a lot of points, peak Sedins or Stamkos-StLouis combo playing together had an hard time scoring 100. And it would have been doing it with Kunitz-Dupuis.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How did you get these numbers?

He had 42 goals, 88 points in 52 games.

He was scoring at a pace of 66 goals (42 divided by 52, multiplied by 82) and 139 points (88 divided by 52, multiplied by 82) per 82 games.

He had missed 8 games by the time he had played 52 games. Those numbers represent a 74 game season.

He was never going to play an 82 game season so it makes no sense to give him credit for an 82 game pace.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad