How good of a goal scorer is Gordie Howe?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Are you sure?

Because without vetting every single calculation, I see that you have Ovechkin with 760 GP in that table, which is the exact number of games he played in his first ten seasons. And your adjusted goals total of 503 is divided by that 760 in order to achieve the result of 0.66.

That's only correct if you either:

1. Adjusted games played upwards by 34 for the 2012-13 season (you did not)
2. Only adjusted his goals in 2012-13 for scoring level and not schedule length (did you? these are your own calculations and not based on HR so you'll have to tell us)

I normalized all player seasons to a 3 GPG scoring rate individually

Ovechkin is as follows:

1728659877027.png

Might've typoed something in the original screenshot

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Because it isn't discredited.

It's just slandered by certain posters because adjusted stats don't work in the favor of their favorite players.

Adjusting for scoring environment is perfectly reasonable, no matter how many times people stomp their feet (without making a coherent point).

If Lemieux were the best goal scorer of all time, he'd at the very least have the highest raw season total or the highest adjusted season total of his own era.

Lemieux has neither.

I don’t think it’s that black and white really. 85 goals in 76 games and 69 in 60 when goalies started to get actually halfway decent, has two playoff runs over a goal per game, only player in the modern era who can say that. 69 in 70 in 1996 to go along with 90+ assists, as a visibly worse version of the player he was in his prime against improved defense and butterfly goalies. 35 goals in 43 games at age 35 after retiring for 3.5 years in the dead puck era when goalies started to become Michelin men. Just because Bobby and Brett Hull’s one best season was slightly more dominant or Ovechkin adjust higher on HR doesn’t change that he’s the best goal scorer that ever lived.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I can't take HR's adjusted stats seriously because they assume equal playing time for everyone. In what universe is the first and the fourth line both getting 15 minutes?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I don’t think it’s that black and white really
Unlike other debate, there is not a black and white answer for the best goalscorer, if you say it is not Lemieux, who ? Ovechkin, one of the Hull, Gretzky, Richard, no one as a clear edge.

No one has the highest adjusted on HR goal in a season and highest raw goals of its era, which leave absolutely no one

Reactions: authentic

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Ovechkin is as follows:

View attachment 915205

Okay, you literally did exactly what I'm saying. Look at the 2013 season. You adjusted his goals from 32 to 35, and 35 / 48 equals 0.74. he did

Ovechkin is as follows:

View attachment 915205

Thank you. I can see you only adjusted his goals for league-wide offense levels and not for schedule length. Your calculations, the way you did them, are mathematically sound.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The very minor things that I could see missing, is not weighting season length for the 10 years league average, did you use the 48/82 * 2.74 ? this would not move things much if only a single season is of a different lenght and a player play most games all years.

But if Lemieux play 76 games in a very high scoring season in 1989 and only 43 in a very low scoring season 2001, using the average of 1989 and 2001 could make him look better than he was.

The average of the league scored for that player I think should be weighted by the number of game they played those seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad