How far away is Columbus from returning to the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Hon, you in particular have already forgotten and/or just blithely ignored simple and basic things like, say, Adam Fantilli's existence, simply because he was drafted by Columbus. Far too many evaluations here have consisted exclusively and entirely of "Columbus sucks because Columbus". Literally not a single bit of thought given to the folks actually here. Just "It's Columbus". Some people at least temper that with "well, Columbus, but guys like Fantilli and Jiricek and Lidstrom seem like they could be good", but you couldn't even manage that much.

Call it hate, call it indifference, call it ignorance, call it whatever you like, but however you call it it's bad-faith bullshit.
I’m not sure why you have to be rude, but I think you’re overrating Fantilli. I think he’ll be a good player, but not one that a competitive team builds around. And I said that much. That’s not forgetting he or any other prospect in their system exists.

And again, Columbus as a franchise is in a position where they have to prove it they can be competitive, because they really haven’t been with this ownership group and the decisions they’ve made. And it’s going to be a long road ahead to do so. They’re essentially 30 points out of a playoff spot. Outside of a bender PDO season, it’s going to take more than 3-4 years of roster improvement to get there, and that’s if they do everything right.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
D is solid. Very solid

F are a bit weaker than I thought they'd be.

I think I'm the only Elvis fan but I think he's a good goalie.

I don't think it is a bad team at all tbh. If a few guys have strong seasons they could be very good.. jiricek, fantili and Elvis come to mind.

I'd also selfishly like to see svozil get some NHL action.

Reactions: Coffees

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
They are finally drafting to have some sort of identity and character again which is nice to see. A lot of that will take some time to pay off but having Fantilli-Lindstrom in the organization as a potential 1-2 punch at center with size, skill and a bit of nasty is exciting. The Russian's and Johnson all have potential to be solid complimentary pieces to the main core. Jiricek and Mateychuk have very solid upside on the back end so again not looking too bad there with Werenski already in place. Goaltending is a question as it almost always is but not the hardest position to find at the NHL level.

I expect this year shows some actual growth and improvement with significantly better coaching. Next year I think we can start to actually consider a playoff push and Id expect Waddell to make some big moves at that time with the capspace and potential trade chips he has to work with

Reactions: Coffees

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I'm the only Elvis fan but I think he's a good goalie.
We all know Elvis has the ability to be a very good goalie in this league. His problem is between the ears. Doesn't help our defense has been atrocious for 3 seasons now either.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I did not want to make a poll, I want to have a serious discussion about how far this team is away from competing in your guys opinion.

They got lot's of blue chip prospects and loaded with top other prospects , the current state of the team is not bad as Werenski in the back end works very well with their offence , but I'm still confused as what step they will take in the next coming years

I'm asking how long before the Blue Jackets return to the STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS
Jokes old, but I still feel obligated to beat a dead horse :deadhorse

IMG_5915.jpeg

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
As a Penn State grad, it’s been awesome to see hockey growing in central and western PA over the last couple decades. The Pens have played a large part in that. It’s really proof of concept that hockey in Ohio can work. They just need a franchise that can generate some excitement for the sport.
I don't think it's proof of concept anymore.

The Jackets have been selling out nationwide arena for years all while basically being out of the playoffs by December.

As someone who grew up and graduated in Columbus in 2009, youth hockey has grown tenfold from the time I was playing youth hockey as a child. It used to be Cleveland was the hot spot for hockey youth hockey in the state but not any longer. Those Jackets AAA programs and the Battery Academy that Cam Atkinson has started combined with all the money the Jackets have dumped into youth hockey.

Columbus already is a hotbed for hockey.

But to the OPs question. I think if EVERYTHING goes perfectly this year ( it won't) they can be in the conversation for the wildcard. Realistically... Id say next year is when they really start to compete. But it all depends on the kids.

Fantilli, Johnson, Chinny, Marchenko, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Tarasov could all break out at anytime. There's enough young talent that we just need one or two of those unexpected breakouts to happen and this team is super competitive.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
they made the right move firing jarmo. but i cant help but think they are still far away. they dont have the best track record when it comes to developing players. they have lots of young talent in the franchise tho.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
When Boone Jenner is your #1 Center, and Yegor Chinakhov is your #1 right winger, add to that you have no goalie and no future in nets....Yes they have Fantilli and a couple of good D prospects, but I think they are the furthest away from contending in the NHL, except for maybe San Jose.
To be this wrong in so many ways is actually impressive.

Reactions: Viqsi

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
It's going to be more than 2 or 3 years. Waddell and Evason would have to do things NEVER done before in CBJ history to speed this up.

- Find a top line player that wants to win, yet also willing to sign with CBJ.
- Develop a rookie that is elite.
- Win a lottery in the next two years
- Hire people who know what they are doing and have experience doing it.
- Be accountable, just quit if you can't fix it
- Hire professional fitness experts (couple dozen minimum) and fix the injury stuff.
- End the high school (I like, for sure, O.M.G; hate him! hehehe) locker room drama

hm, I'm sure their are other things to speed up the rebuild, but my guess is 4-8 years. And that is largely dependent (4 years) on Fantilli developing to his potential and willing to resign during UFA years. Other wise, GMDW should think about drafting even more centers.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They are heading in the right direction, but will end up on the outside looking in. So, bottom half of the division next season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m not sure why you have to be rude, but I think you’re overrating Fantilli. I think he’ll be a good player, but not one that a competitive team builds around. And I said that much.
This is literally the first post you have made in this thread that even mentions his name. And given how he was described going into his draft year - and comparisons drawn between him and Celebrini, whom you praised earlier - I feel safe in pointing to this as an example of having already written him off "because Columbus".

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The Blue Jackets do not get top picks. The closest we have ever gotten to getting a "hype guy" was Fantilli, and, well, ever since coming here he's already being dismissed as irrelevant.
I’m blessing y’all this time lmao 😘✨

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
$19 million under cap says not very close. There was the retooling of Jarmo and that might have needed 2 more years, now it's looking more like 4 years before contending and a lot of growth between now and then.

Reactions: Dumais

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
This is literally the first post you have made in this thread that even mentions his name. And given how he was described going into his draft year - and comparisons drawn between him and Celebrini, whom you praised earlier - I feel safe in pointing to this as an example of having already written him off "because Columbus".
I didn’t state his name specifically, because I grouped him with the other Blue Jackets’ top prospects who I feel similarly about- players who will be good, but not ones you build around as a truly competitive franchise. And frankly, making a comparison to Celebrini makes me fairly confident that you are overrating him.

I have trouble having honest dialogue when the other person is being rude, condescending, and presumptuous just because somebody has a different opinion. I get that Blue Jackets’ fans can be a bit sensitive, but you might want to remember you’re in the main boards, and there are people from other fanbases who will have a different (and probably more objective, based on your posts) opinion than you.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn’t state his name specifically, because I grouped him with the other Blue Jackets’ top prospects who I feel similarly about- players who will be good, but not ones you build around as a truly competitive franchise. And frankly, making a comparison to Celebrini makes me fairly confident that you are overrating him.
In that case, then, I have that in common with the overwhelming majority of hockey observers, who generally put Fantilli right behind Celebrini based on Celebrini being more NHL-ready at draft time. Couple that with your having started out suggesting a timetable that is, frankly, absurd for any franchise in the history of the League, and I subsequenty find it extremely hard to believe that good faith and honesty ever came into it to begin with. There's differences of perspective and opinion, and then there's going out of your way to express evaluations that are so exceptionally out of place as to reflect outcomes that would seem borderline impossible. It'd be like me trying to justify picking Pittsburgh finishing last in the League this year and next - without assuming Crosby being injured or anything - as "just my opinion being different".

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
It's a tough division but I could see them surprising and claiming a spot.

I think they need a year to really gel and make progress though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad