How far away is Columbus from returning to the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
It's really hard to say.

It really depends of some of them kids start developing and take a step forward. If any 2 of Fantilli, Johnson, Sillinger or Jiricek break out, and if one of Tarasov or Elvis can be competent, I can see them snagging 3rd in the Metro.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
1000009050.jpg

Fairly far away, eh?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They've got a collection of great prospects, I just worry they're one of those teams that is adding random great players without any real direction or team identity.

Reactions: viper0220

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think they're close but not quite there in terms of pure talent, probably one more top-10 pick/major trade. Development will take a bit more time after. It's normal to see young players grow and struggle.

They have a nice young core, I still think there needs to be a bit of patience. Good prospects are one thing, getting those skills to translate to NHL ice is a fickle thing. There's really nothing in the games of Johnsson, Jiricek, or Sillinger that suggests they're imminent stars. Definitely NHL players, but each one of them still has a wide range of final products that they could become. They simply need more time.

I would say that if everything goes right, 2025-26 is probably the earliest optimistic time they could expect to reach the bubble. If Evason clicks, if the youngsters all take steps forward, if the goaltending issues get figured out. 26-27 is probably more reasonable for challenging the bubble.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
There is really no excuse for them to be putrid their entire existence. Players don't want to play there because they see it as misrun and that they will lose. Other teams with undesirable locations like Winnipeg have done a good job building playoff rosters and drafting well to do that.

I was excited for them when they got Babcock because I thought they would finally turn the culture corner. Adding Waddell though, IDK. He still seems like the guy who ruined the thrashers and was a puppet for an owner in Carolina who rehabed his reputation.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Columbus is still likely a bottom 5 team this year. A scenario where no team is truly awful and the worst team in the league has 65 points and the Jackets are still 3rd worst but 10 points better than last season wouldnt surprise me.

This really is a “see what we have” kind of season. They are running back the same goalies and pretty much the same defense. There is a new GM and coach, but they have kept a lot of people (assistant coaches, training staff, etc.) from last season.

Next season is where you hopefully will see a jump up in the standings. I don’t expect the CBJ to be in the playoff picture, but finishing 11th in the east and Columbus having a defensive system that makes sense would be pretty good for 25-26.

Maybe in 26-27 we can start thinking about playoffs.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
After a few years of development and some solid veteran additions I could see this being a solid core

Johnny Gaudreau- Adam Fantili- Kent Johnson
Marchenko- Cayden Lidstrom- Gavin Brindley
Werenski-Jiricek
Mateychuk-Elick

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They should be poised to take advantage if/when carolina or new york runs into cap/age problems in a couple years, especially with the age and situations of the islanders/capitals/penguins

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Then tell us how far Columbus is without assuming every Columbus thread is a hate thread

With all due respect @Viqsi
You might be making this thread in good faith, but 98% of Columbus threads end up as hate threads. Columbus is an easy punching bag, and that's far too tempting for most posters on this site. Sorry if Jackets fans get waspish sometimes because while you personally may have never noticed before since you would have no reason to, we're very used to it. It's our whole experience here.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
They have some great pieces but I feel like it will fall apart again before they make anything out of it

Just a very poorly run organization

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Frankly, San Jose just got a lot closer this offseason.

With Columbus’ history of mismanagement, they’re going to have to prove it before anyone believes they can actually compete. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say they are at least 7-8 years away from a playoff spot.
7-8 years is an unreasonable prediction for literally anybody and everybody in the League, anytime, anywhere, forever.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You might be making this thread in good faith, but 98% of Columbus threads end up as hate threads. Columbus is an easy punching bag, and that's far too tempting for most posters on this site. Sorry if Jackets fans get waspish sometimes because while you personally may have never noticed before since you would have no reason to, we're very used to it. It's our whole experience here.
This. Few of us really want to attempt a comprehensive answer because all it is is an invitation to get dumped on and laughed at as impossible homers who just can't possibly understand how hockey works. Virtually nobody is interested in a good-faith discussion anymore.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
I’m sorry.

What I think is Colombus has an absolute monster center in Fantilli, and great young players coming up. The most important thing of it all I think is the team has leadership and will guide the next up well

Reactions: Viqsi

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Everyone craps on him, but I like what Porty has said. This year, we play our first stadium series ever march 1. That game has to matter. They don't have to be in a playoff spot, but at least still doing playoff math. Don't think they'll make it, but have to be competitive longer in the year.

Next year, ideally squeak in.

I think the biggest upgrade nobody is talking about is coach. Man I very rarely blame coaching in sports but our last two have seemed in over their heads.

Reactions: CBJx614

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The question for the Jackets isn't 'how far away from the playoffs are they?' The question is 'how quickly can they get to the playoffs in order to prevent another exodus of young talent like in 2019-2022?'

I think they need to get to the playoffs in 2 years or else they risk having important pieces begin asking out. If that means not following the traditional tear it down completely and cross your fingers that you win the lottery approach, so be it.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Columbus already has a high end Russian G prospect. No need for them to trade for one

Sergei Ivanov - Stats, Contract, Salary & More

I'd call him a very good prospect, I don't know if high end would be the word I'd use.

Great stats in a league where goalies get get stats, accomplished it going on a bad team though.

The size though. So few under 6' goalies ever make it, only one is a starter in the NHL right now. I don't see Ivanov having more tools than a lot of the other sub 6' guys who failed to overcome their size.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
7-8 years is an unreasonable prediction for literally anybody and everybody in the League, anytime, anywhere, forever.
Disagree. They’re at the bottom of the league perennially, can’t retain a coach for any period of time, tried to hire a coach that had known issues, only to immediately fire him, they don’t have a particularly remarkable prospect pool, and aren’t a destination that is going to draw free agents in. They’re more known for being a franchise that players ask to leave. It’s going to take time to build confidence in the market so that they can consistently attract quality free agents and retain them at semi-reasonable prices. It’s going to take time for them to bring in several marquee players that can grow into core roles with the franchise.

The question for the Jackets isn't 'how far away from the playoffs are they?' The question is 'how quickly can they get to the playoffs in order to prevent another exodus of young talent like in 2019-2022?'

I think they need to get to the playoffs in 2 years or else they risk having important pieces begin asking out. If that means not following the traditional tear it down completely and cross your fingers that you win the lottery approach, so be it.
They’re at the bottom of the league. It’s going to take well over 2 years to make the playoffs.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Won't be a contender in my lifetime. It's hard to make the playoffs, even harder to contend, and almost impossible to win it all. I look at the current foundational pieces of the Jackets and it's going to be tough for them to get to stage one. They need a generational center, greatly bolster their blueline, a lot more forward depth, and a goalie with more than a pulse. They then need to capture lightning in a bottle and pray to the hockey gods for a multitude of blessings.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Frankly, San Jose just got a lot closer this offseason.

With Columbus’ history of mismanagement, they’re going to have to prove it before anyone believes they can actually compete. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say they are at least 7-8 years away from a playoff spot.
I agree. San Jose may not have a ton of depth at this point but they have high end pieces at all positions. Having Celebrini and Smith up the middle is in and of itself a boon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad