How far away is Columbus from returning to the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t really know. They have some talent but its hard to pull a team in a hole.

I think Evason was a good hire. I think Columbus will take a step this year.

Still hard to see them making the playoffs. I also don’t think Waddell is great. I am assuming more of the better moves Carolina made were because of their current GM.

But theres always one or two surprises in every conference. So will see.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I agree. San Jose may not have a ton of depth at this point but they have high end pieces at all positions. Having Celebrini and Smith up the middle is in and of itself a boon.
Yep. It’s a lot easier/more common to find the pieces that you can use to build around true franchise players than it is to acquire them. I don’t believe Columbus has a single franchise player in their system yet. I could be wrong and would be interested to hear that take, though.

I don’t really know. They have some talent but its hard to pull a team in a hole.

I think Evason was a good hire. I think Columbus will take a step this year.

Still hard to see them making the playoffs. I also don’t think Waddell is great. I am assuming more of the better moves Carolina made were because of their current GM.

But theres always one or two surprises in every conference. So will see.
Why will they get better this year, though? Did they really acquire anyone that will move the needle at all?

Like, even if Gaudreau returns to the player he was in Calgary, puts up 20 more points, whatever, Columbus is still bottom 3-5 in the league.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Won't be a contender in my lifetime. It's hard to make the playoffs, even harder to contend, and almost impossible to win it all. I look at the current foundational pieces of the Jackets and it's going to be tough for them to get to stage one. They need a generational center, greatly bolster their blueline, a lot more forward depth, and a goalie with more than a pulse. They then need to capture lightning in a bottle and pray to the hockey gods for a multitude of blessings.
At some point, you have to wonder whether the ownership has the right vision to make the right hires and put them in a position to succeed. They have had plenty of time to get the franchise to a consistently competitive place, and they haven’t. Too bad, because there is legitimate opportunity to grow the game massively in Ohio if the team has some modicum of success.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yep. It’s a lot easier/more common to find the pieces that you can use to build around true franchise players than it is to acquire them. I don’t believe Columbus has a single franchise player in their system yet. I could be wrong and would be interested to hear that take, though.

Why will they get better this year, though? Did they really acquire anyone that will move the needle at all?

Like, even if Gaudreau returns to the player he was in Calgary, puts up 20 more points, whatever, Columbus is still bottom 3-5 in the league.

I think Evason will get more from the group mostly. I think they have some decent pieces that could improve.

But the eastern conference is tough so while I see them taking a step, theres only one place to go when you are at the bottom. I don’t really see them any close to the playoffs.

They need massive steps from Fantelli, Johnson and Jiricheck to actually do something.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I did not want to make a poll, I want to have a serious discussion about how far this team is away from competing in your guys opinion.

They got lot's of blue chip prospects and loaded with top other prospects , the current state of the team is not bad as Werenski in the back end works very well with their offence , but I'm still confused as what step they will take in the next coming years

I'm asking how long before the Blue Jackets return to the STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS

Never.

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
There is really no excuse for them to be putrid their entire existence. Players don't want to play there because they see it as misrun and that they will lose. Other teams with undesirable locations like Winnipeg have done a good job building playoff rosters and drafting well to do that.

I was excited for them when they got Babcock because I thought they would finally turn the culture corner. Adding Waddell though, IDK. He still seems like the guy who ruined the thrashers and was a puppet for an owner in Carolina who rehabed his reputation.
Babcock and culture improvement? What?

I think Evason will get more from the group mostly. I think they have some decent pieces that could improve.

But the eastern conference is tough so while I see them taking a step, theres only one place to go when you are at the bottom. I don’t really see them any close to the playoffs.

They need massive steps from Fantelli, Johnson and Jiricheck to actually do something.
Those are all good prospects, but probably end up best used as a supporting cast for elite talent on a competitive team, imo. The East is tough, but I guess the thing they will have going for them is that their division is the weaker of the two.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
31 hours

1724944753550.png

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Yeah, I was puzzled by that too. IMO that "ending" was serendipitous for the Jackets. He was gone before he could do any real damage or mentally scar their younger players.

My thoughts.
'Lumbus has a great fan base and deserves better

Their ownership needs to take a long look in the mirror. It may be an old addage, but it really does all start at the top. They may have good business CVs but sports is it's own animal.

As someone with Ohio roots, I hope that they one day bring in a Dean Lombardi like guy who is able to change the culture there.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I’m sorry.

What I think is Colombus has an absolute monster center in Fantilli, and great young players coming up. The most important thing of it all I think is the team has leadership and will guide the next up well
You will find this thread has already derailed into pointless, baseless hate, and it’s barely three pages in.

Reactions: Viqsi

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Yeah, I was puzzled by that too. IMO that "ending" was serendipitous for the Jackets. He was gone before he could do any real damage or mentally scar their younger players.

My thoughts.
'Lumbus has a great fan base and deserves better

Their ownership needs to take a long look in the mirror. It may be an old addage, but it really does all start at the top. They may have good business CVs but sports is it's own animal.

As someone with Ohio roots, I hope that they one day bring in a Dean Lombardi like guy who is able to change the culture there.
As a Penn State grad, it’s been awesome to see hockey growing in central and western PA over the last couple decades. The Pens have played a large part in that. It’s really proof of concept that hockey in Ohio can work. They just need a franchise that can generate some excitement for the sport.

Last edited:

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Frankly, San Jose just got a lot closer this offseason.

With Columbus’ history of mismanagement, they’re going to have to prove it before anyone believes they can actually compete. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say they are at least 7-8 years away from a playoff spot.
Agreed on San Jose, but it will take time

Jenner as their #1C is disengenous. Fantilli, Sillinger, Lindstrom is a nice young group. I don’t love Werenskis game but they are stacked on the blueline. Could see them being good fairly quick, it just depends on goaltending which is impossible to predict for 25 teams, if not the whole league
You never know with Lindstrom or for that matter Sillinger. I do agree on Fantilli, but right now it's a lot of "What Ifs"

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Entirely depends on how (and how quickly) Fantilli and Jiricek develop.
Agreed. Can't pinpoint a timeline based on what little they have done in the NHL so far. You need top end talent to build your team around. Fantilli/Lindstrom need to show that they are a good 1/2 punch at C. Jiricek, Mentychuk, Ceulsmann, etc. have to show that they can be solid top 4 22 plus minute Dmen.

Whether that is in time for 26, 27, 28, 29 PO's who knows.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Disagree. They’re at the bottom of the league perennially, can’t retain a coach for any period of time, tried to hire a coach that had known issues, only to immediately fire him, they don’t have a particularly remarkable prospect pool, and aren’t a destination that is going to draw free agents in. They’re more known for being a franchise that players ask to leave. It’s going to take time to build confidence in the market so that they can consistently attract quality free agents and retain them at semi-reasonable prices. It’s going to take time for them to bring in several marquee players that can grow into core roles with the franchise.
Tell us you haven't actually been paying attention to the Blue Jackets without saying you haven't actually been paying attention to the Blue Jackets. "Don't have a particularly remarkable prospect pool" in particular is high comedy. It's top-5 in the League. Arguably top-3.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I actually don’t see a lot of hate in this thread. People are here saying that they wish they were better.
Hon, you in particular have already forgotten and/or just blithely ignored simple and basic things like, say, Adam Fantilli's existence, simply because he was drafted by Columbus. Far too many evaluations here have consisted exclusively and entirely of "Columbus sucks because Columbus". Literally not a single bit of thought given to the folks actually here. Just "It's Columbus". Some people at least temper that with "well, Columbus, but guys like Fantilli and Jiricek and Lidstrom seem like they could be good", but you couldn't even manage that much.

Call it hate, call it indifference, call it ignorance, call it whatever you like, but however you call it it's bad-faith bullshit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m sorry.

What I think is Colombus has an absolute monster center in Fantilli, and great young players coming up. The most important thing of it all I think is the team has leadership and will guide the next up well
Look through this thread and you can already find multiple posters who have already written Fantilli off.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Those are all good prospects, but probably end up best used as a supporting cast for elite talent on a competitive team, imo. The East is tough, but I guess the thing they will have going for them is that their division is the weaker of the two.
You dont think Fantilli has elite upside? lol

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Look through this thread and you can already find multiple posters who have already written Fantilli off.
They're dumb.

I think CBJ has a pretty wide range of potential outcomes in the next few seasons, but they mostly hinge on how Fantilli progresses and whether he turns into the player I think he can be.

Unfortunately they've decided to block Fantilli with Monahan.

Reactions: Coffees

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They're dumb.

I think CBJ has a pretty wide range of potential outcomes in the next few seasons, but they mostly hinge on how Fantilli progresses and whether he turns into the player I think he can be.

Unfortunately they've decided to block Fantilli with Monahan.
I don't think he's blocked, I think he's got a shield available as development needs warrant. If Fantilli breaks out Monahan immediately drops down the lineup as needed.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't think he's blocked, I think he's got a shield available as development needs warrant. If Fantilli breaks out Monahan immediately drops down the lineup as needed.
Monahan is not a shield in any way. He's a leech. He's very poor defensively, so his only real utility is gained by soaking up prime offensive minutes - minutes that should be given to Fantilli.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Monahan is not a shield in any way. He's a leech. He's very poor defensively, so his only real utility is gained by soaking up prime offensive minutes - minutes that should be given to Fantilli.
I'm describing the theory, which I'm leaning on right now because otherwise I'm going to be even more unhappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad