How far away is Columbus from returning to the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
I did not want to make a poll, I want to have a serious discussion about how far this team is away from competing in your guys opinion.

They got lot's of blue chip prospects and loaded with top other prospects , the current state of the team is not bad as Werenski in the back end works very well with their offence , but I'm still confused as what step they will take in the next coming years

I'm asking how long before the Blue Jackets return to the STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Well, it depends on where you're coming from. From the Bruins, for example, it's approximately 640 miles.
Lol Viqsi I almost wanted to message you and let you know about the thread. I know you don't like backwards threads about the Blue Jackets, but the fact is they finally have a bright future so these threads are genuine and sincere.

They got some exciting players coming up, and that's facts

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Gaudronahan is back in business baby

img_7948-gif.892402

Johnny and Seanny are taking the BJs back to the playoffs.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Gotta replace Elvis and need a few prospects to hit. Fantilli and Jiricek in particular.

Jackets need a few years at best IMO.

I think they're pretty solid on the wing and they have a good bottom 6 currently. I like Dean Evason. Need the young players to get better, and they have a lot of young players.

EDIT: To clarify, OP said cup contention. I looked at the age of the core players and a few years will be when they're all in their primes. Should have clarified why i said that. I see things getting heated later in the topic.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think 2-3 seasons.

Although, there will be a factor in the NHL where players will want to play for teams with either low taxes or nice weather so I expect not only competitive teams to be in the south, but players are going to do whatever they can to get on those teams.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
When Boone Jenner is your #1 Center, and Yegor Chinakhov is your #1 right winger, add to that you have no goalie and no future in nets....Yes they have Fantilli and a couple of good D prospects, but I think they are the furthest away from contending in the NHL, except for maybe San Jose.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
When Boone Jenner is your #1 Center, and Yegor Chinakhov is your #1 right winger, add to that you have no goalie and no future in nets....Yes they have Fantilli and a couple of good D prospects, but I think they are the furthest away from contending in the NHL, except for maybe San Jose.

Marchenko for RW*

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Marchenko you mean

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Thats a lot to get wrong in one sentence

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Jenner as their #1C is disengenous. Fantilli, Sillinger, Lindstrom is a nice young group. I don’t love Werenskis game but they are stacked on the blueline. Could see them being good fairly quick, it just depends on goaltending which is impossible to predict for 25 teams, if not the whole league

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Fantilli will get great, Lindstrom could be really good if his injuries don't limit him. I seem to be a bit less high on Mateychuk's NHL projectability than most but also I seem to value Werenski and Jiricek higher than most.

I dont feel Columbus has the pieces it needs in the system yet to be successful. I think they have have some pieces to build around, I feel they need to add two good drafts more to have what they need. After that, you have to develop them but also have to keep Werenski around or replace him.

I don't feel a lot of the pieces they have are pieces you win with, through some flaw or just lacking size. A lot of the ones they are developing though, Fantilli, Lindstrom, and Jiricek, are pieces you win with and build around if they develop right.

So yeah, id go longer rebuild for them.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I believe the Jackets can take a step.

- Evason is a great fit in my opinion. He's a very intense guy and worked wonders for Minnesota when they looked like a team no longer playoff caliber. Obviously, Kaprizov came in at the same time, but the Jackets have Fantilli as a player who is capable of raising the teams profile.

- Even though their record wasn't good last season, there was a lot of positives with some of their younger players, particularly the Russian forwards, who looked more and more like every day players rather than guys just trying to find ice time.

- Johnson and Jiricek are two guys who could add more into that mix this year as well.

- Monahan will help with the teams power play, an area where they've had to be better.

- Gaudreau is the type of guy who will produce more when the team is playing with more enthusiasm. I have a tough time believing he remains a 60 point guy for the rest of his Jackets tenure.

- No distractions. Last year there was Babcock, then Laine. It's a clean slate this year.

I'd do

Gaudreau - Fantilli - Jenner
Johnson - Monahan - Marchenko
Voronkov - Sillinger - Chinakhov
Danforth - Kuraly - Olivier

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Jiricek
Harris/Christiansen - Gudbranson

Merzlikins
Tarasov

Looks like a decent lineup to me.

Unless it's a miracle season for all the young guys, problem is a decent lineup seems to be the norm in the League this year, so it's going to be hard to separate yourself from the pack. But certainly I think people underestimate this team just because of the reputation they have from the last few years. On the other hand, teams will make the same mistake as well. Wouldn't surprise me to see them flirting with a playoff spot at thanksgiving, then gradually fade down the stretch.

But yeah I think the aim should be Bettman .500 this season, rather than the basement.

Playoffs? Well probably a couple years away before they can expect it. But it really comes down to how much the young players get collectively get better.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Honestly I am shocked at how rough their lineup looks.. and I mean that with zero disrespect what so ever to CBJ fans on here… I’m not really sure what happened here over the past handful of years that their lineup looks as rough as it does.

There is ALOT of work to do on that team to get them competitive

They desperately need guys like Johnson, Fantilli and Jiricek to step up HUGE next season to show that they can become something special eventually

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Frankly, San Jose just got a lot closer this offseason.

With Columbus’ history of mismanagement, they’re going to have to prove it before anyone believes they can actually compete. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say they are at least 7-8 years away from a playoff spot.

Reactions: Dumais

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
It really depends on what Donny Wads can do to add to that young group. Hiring Evason was a good start, but that trade of Laine wasn't (return was pretty weak). It can be anywhere from 3-5 years depending on how savvy DW is with making moves at the TDL and next summer as well as how many young lads on that team take a step forward in their development. It's also weighted on how well Evason fits as a coach there.

Reactions: Dumais
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad