How do you fix the Wings?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you're getting Draisaitl... you're not doing so while keeping all three of Larkin, Seider, and Raymond. You're probably losing two of the three.

And you're certainly not sending back Veleno and Maatta in such a deal.

DeBrincat should be the most interesting piece for Oilers.

He is former McDavid linemate from Knoblauch-coached team, and they gelled together.

So that could be starting point for the trade-scenario.

Reactions: lilidk

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Imaginationland:

Yah? or Nah? Have a collection of Debrincat/Larkin/Seider with Draisaitl longer-term and Tarasanko/Kane become pretty knifty for the short-term. Copp/Compher would have more defensive defined roles.

Defense would be an issue, I have no doubts, but I'm not exactly considering it a team strength now, and long-term I think it can be fixed/dealt with clearing out names like Holl/Petry/Maata for even minor upgrades, possibly within.

Tough to say I'd do something like this, I like Raymond/Edvinsson a lot. It's prolyl what it'll cost though, (or more). Kept a good amount of top prospects though with Danielson/Kasper/ASP/Johansson/Cossa.
If oilers trade Leon and they get 5 pieces like that I'll eat my own hand lol. NHL trades are always 1/10th hf boards value. Unless ur WpG trading for Monahan lol. Then u pay full lala land price.

Reactions: raymond23

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I think unless you're already in a contender position, it's a big mistake to trade a lot of good assets for admitely a fantastic player like Draisaitl. Yes you get an amazing player, in but you break off a lot of stuff to be able compete with him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
People don't want to know what goes the other way for Draisaitl. He would be a number 1 center alright with no young core players around him and nobody knows how he performs without a competent to stacked top 6

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think unless you're already in a contender position, it's a big mistake to trade a lot of good assets for admitely a fantastic player like Draisaitl. Yes you get an amazing player, in but you break off a lot of stuff to be able compete with him.
Agreed. Putting together a realistic package for Leon would leave this team lacking depth/support imo.

Also, Leon aint getting traded.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
People don't want to know what goes the other way for Draisaitl. He would be a number 1 center alright with no young core players around him and nobody knows how he performs without a competent to stacked top 6
Red Wings trade RFA Lucas Raymond, LHD Simon Edvinsson, G Trey Augustine, their 2025 1st round pick and their 1st round pick in 2026.
Oilers trade C Leon Draisaitl who signs an 8 year extension worth 112 million dollars, 14 million per year.

Red Wings waive G Ville Husso and RHD Justin Holl.( Saves 1.7 million).

Red Wings resign RHD Moritz Seider to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Jonatan Berggren to a 2 year contract worth 2.25 million, 1.125 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Joe Veleno to a 1 year contract worth 1.75 million.
Red Wings sign F Dominik Kubalik to the league minimum.

J.T. Compher – Leon DraisaitlPatrick Kane
Alex DeBrincat – (C) Dylan Larkin – Vladimir Tarasenko
Dominik Kubalik
Joe Veleno Jonatan Berggren
Michael Rasmussen – (A) Andrew Copp – Christian Fischer
* Tyler Motte
* Carter Mazur

Erik Gustavsson
Mortiz Seider
(A) Ben Chiarot – Jeff Petry
Ollie Maata – Albert Johansson
* ???????

Cam Talbot
Alex Lyon

F Marco Kasper, F Nate Danielson, RHD ASP, RHD Antti Toumisto, F Dmitri Buchelnikov, F Carter Mazur, G Sebastain Cossa, F Michael Brandsegg-Nygard.

Idk, 8 top prospects still around and ready to crank the line up. With zero assumption of anyone else rising/developing. The ability to put a full roster together, with money coming off the following year, idk, seems like saying it'd gut the franchise or that no young players would around is an excuse to not try vs a reality and just not taking a chance. Yzerman would need to sign a defensemen/offensemen to round off the roster. I signed Kubalik just cause people know him and didn't bother with defensemen, because no matter who it is (this year) doesn't matter everyone will hate it. No way the roster is perfect after this trade, it's not even perfect now. That roster imo, could get a veteran to come sign on a 1 year deal cheap to help out this year.

It's safer to not make the move and wait to find out if that those picks don't matter, if Agustine was just good in college, and if Raymond ended up being like Debrincat and if Edvinsson is just a solid defender. That'll take 7 plus years to figure out.

The only real good answer people give is saying that they actually think Raymond is a 90 point player and Edvinsson is a top line defensemen and there under 25 so, ok, I can get behind keeping that but Draisaitl is a bird in hand vs two in the bush.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Red Wings trade RFA Lucas Raymond, LHD Simon Edvinsson, G Trey Augustine, their 2025 1st round pick and their 1st round pick in 2026.
Oilers trade C Leon Draisaitl who signs an 8 year extension worth 112 million dollars, 14 million per year.

Red Wings waive G Ville Husso and RHD Justin Holl.( Saves 1.7 million).

Red Wings resign RHD Moritz Seider to a 8 year contract worth 64 million, 8 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Jonatan Berggren to a 2 year contract worth 2.25 million, 1.125 million per year.
Red Wings resign F Joe Veleno to a 1 year contract worth 1.75 million.
Red Wings sign F Dominik Kubalik to the league minimum.

J.T. Compher – Leon DraisaitlPatrick Kane
Alex DeBrincat – (C) Dylan Larkin – Vladimir Tarasenko
Dominik Kubalik
Joe Veleno Jonatan Berggren
Michael Rasmussen – (A) Andrew Copp – Christian Fischer
* Tyler Motte
* Carter Mazur

Erik Gustavsson
Mortiz Seider
(A) Ben Chiarot – Jeff Petry
Ollie Maata – Albert Johansson
* ???????

Cam Talbot
Alex Lyon

F Marco Kasper, F Nate Danielson, RHD ASP, RHD Antti Toumisto, F Dmitri Buchelnikov, F Carter Mazur, G Sebastain Cossa, F Michael Brandsegg-Nygard.

Idk, 8 top prospects still around and ready to crank the line up. With zero assumption of anyone else rising/developing. The ability to put a full roster together, with money coming off the following year, idk, seems like saying it'd gut the franchise or that no young players would around is an excuse to not try vs a reality and just not taking a chance. Yzerman would need to sign a defensemen/offensemen to round off the roster. I signed Kubalik just cause people know him and didn't bother with defensemen, because no matter who it is (this year) doesn't matter everyone will hate it. No way the roster is perfect after this trade, it's not even perfect now. That roster imo, could get a veteran to come sign on a 1 year deal cheap to help out this year.

It's safer to not make the move and wait to find out if that those picks don't matter, if Agustine was just good in college, and if Raymond ended up being like Debrincat and if Edvinsson is just a solid defender. That'll take 7 plus years to figure out.

The only real good answer people give is saying that they actually think Raymond is a 90 point player and Edvinsson is a top line defensemen and there under 25 so, ok, I can get behind keeping that but Draisaitl is a bird in hand vs two in the bush.
And Red wings never sniff a cup window sending 4 of their first round picks the other direction and and one of our lottery tickets in net

Reactions: SoupNazi

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
And Red wings never sniff a cup window sending 4 of their first round picks the other direction and and one of our lottery tickets in net
Yeah, that's your opinion, you or I will never know, obviously I feel different, or I wouldn't want Draisaitl at all.

I'd pull a Lindros like trade if it got me even just one Stanley cup. (It almost did Philly)

Last edited:

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
draisytil is excellent but it better be taken into consideration who hes been playing with , the same guy that turned zach into a 40 goal scorer

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Florida, Tampa, NJ, Toronto, Carolina, Washington , Boston ,NR are all better teams than Detroit. It's 8 teams already . Buffalo, Detroit Philadelphia, Penguins and Montreal will try to get into wild card somehow. Means we draft somewhere between 9 and 15 again

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
To be fair I'd argue getting Patrick Roy was what got them those 2 cups! Which would never happen if they stayed in Quebec.
Some of the assets and/or the flexibility to part with those assets came from the Lindros deal. Thibault was in both trades.

And I'd argue that if you roll back the Lindros trade Roy isn't enough to make that team what it was. The Lindros trade was the posterboy of trades that back-fire.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, that's your opinion, you or I will never know, obviously I feel different, or I wouldn't want Draisaitl at all.

I'd pull a Lindros like trade if it got me even just one Stanley cup. (It almost did Philly)
Do you understand what kind of point you’re making? That trade pushed Colorado over the top into the territory of one of the best teams in the league for ~a decade and they won two cups. Flyers got one finals trip that wasn’t even a close series.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This team didn't improve enough to move up. I like to see kids playing with Tarasenko and Kane, in the end of the season trade both of them to contender. We could get 3 first round picks in the strong 2025 . That will be end of the rebuild

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There’s zero chance Oilers would get a package like that for Draisatl. It would destroy our rebuild, as it would destroy any team making such an insane trade.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Florida, Tampa, NJ, Toronto, Carolina, Washington , Boston ,NR are all better teams than Detroit. It's 8 teams already . Buffalo, Detroit Philadelphia, Penguins and Montreal will try to get into wild card somehow. Means we draft somewhere between 9 and 15 again
That's three teams I don't see as far and away better than Detroit.

Tampa has taken a step back. Maybe the Wings sweeping this past season series was a fluke, maybe Vas is injured, but I know their defense took a hit with Serg leaving, and their PP is going to hurt without Stamkos.

NJ has higher end talent than Detroit, but how many years has that been the case and they still can't put it together? Who knows, maybe this is their year. I just wouldn't put all my eggs in the Markstrom/Allen basket.

Washington is committing to a soft retool instead of a rebuild, and how often does that work? Roy and Chychrun help the blue line, but this team just doesn't scare me with a 40 year old Ovechkin. Lindgren dragged them to the playoffs last season, I don't think he replicates it this next season.

Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. But if Steve can go out and snag one top 4 dman, this team will surprise a lot of people (again)

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs and Ricelund

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, those three teams are clearly better than the Red Wings.

Red Wings aren't bringing in a Norris Trophy candidate so, I don't see where they become a stalwart defensive team.

I think he appropriately classified the Wings range of competing with OTT/BUF/MTL/PIT/PHI and he didn't mention another team, the NYI are better than the Red Wings. Likely 9 teams that many would assume right off the get are better than the Red Wings. Red Wings really need some young player to emerge as not just good but border line super star.

As of now, Red Wings play book is easy, Yzerman's doing nothing special, it's easily a off-load trade veterans at the TDL, draft, and repeat again next year. There is no urgency at all to try and win, they seem content on just having a competitive team and trying to draft their way into the playoffs.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
That's three teams I don't see as far and away better than Detroit.

Tampa has taken a step back. Maybe the Wings sweeping this past season series was a fluke, maybe Vas is injured, but I know their defense took a hit with Serg leaving, and their PP is going to hurt without Stamkos.

NJ has higher end talent than Detroit, but how many years has that been the case and they still can't put it together? Who knows, maybe this is their year. I just wouldn't put all my eggs in the Markstrom/Allen basket.

Washington is committing to a soft retool instead of a rebuild, and how often does that work? Roy and Chychrun help the blue line, but this team just doesn't scare me with a 40 year old Ovechkin. Lindgren dragged them to the playoffs last season, I don't think he replicates it this next season.

Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. But if Steve can go out and snag one top 4 dman, this team will surprise a lot of people (again)
Who knows, maybe it is Lalonde year after Yzerman get rid of players he didn't want, maybe Larkin, Kane and Tarasenko stays healthy and Red Wings will surprise everyone. Reality is we didn't get better and teams you highlighted I believe get better this summer.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Idk, those three teams are clearly better than the Red Wings.

Red Wings aren't bringing in a Norris Trophy candidate so, I don't see where they become a stalwart defensive team.

I think he appropriately classified the Wings range of competing with OTT/BUF/MTL/PIT/PHI and he didn't mention another team, the NYI are better than the Red Wings. Likely 9 teams that many would assume right off the get are better than the Red Wings. Red Wings really need some young player to emerge as not just good but border line super star.

As of now, Red Wings play book is easy, Yzerman's doing nothing special, it's easily a off-load trade veterans at the TDL, draft, and repeat again next year. There is no urgency at all to try and win, they seem content on just having a competitive team and trying to draft their way into the playoffs.
Where the hell is Washington getting clearly better from? Chychrun? Who is defensively bad, injury prone and a headcase? It was already a major miracle they were in the playoff mix last season, won’t be surprised if they draft top 5 next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad