How do you fix the Wings?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I'm really not optimistic right now. I like 5/6 of our top 6, but Compher still being the 2C is...not good. The defense is pretty bad past Seider (and probably Edvinsson, but we need to actually see him play more than a dozen games to really rule on where he's at). The goaltending is...yikes.
Honestly with the offensive quality of the winger options I'm not too worried about Compher at 2C. He's generally going to be paired with some combination of Debrincat, Raymond, Kane, Tarasenko, and possibly Berggren as well. If he shoulders a little more of the defensive responsibility with ~50 points while letting the offensive wingers do their thing, we'll have two really good lines to put out there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
And get worse?

Zetterlund > Berggren
Eklund >>>> Veleno

You have a weird hate on for Zetterlund who is a good 2nd line winger on probably 25 NHL teams. He's an excellent forechecker, tenacious, fast and can provide good secondary scoring.
And Eklund is still a kid with tremendous upside in the range of 60-80 point, two way C/W. He was second on the Sharks in scoring as a rookie. He's 21, 22 when the season starts so it's not like we're trading a potentially top 10 pick for an old guy. That works really well with Detroit's true timeline.

Reactions: Realgud

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Zetterlund > Berggren
Eklund >>>> Veleno

You have a weird hate on for Zetterlund who is a good 2nd line winger on probably 25 NHL teams. He's an excellent forechecker, tenacious, fast and can provide good secondary scoring.
And Eklund is still a kid with tremendous upside in the range of 60-80 point, two way C/W. He was second on the Sharks in scoring as a rookie. He's 21, 22 when the season starts so it's not like we're trading a potentially top 10 pick for an old guy. That works really well with Detroit's true timeline.
This board has a weird hard-on for players playing at least one or two lines higher on their teams than they would here. And subsequently underrated players from the Wings that would thrive getting top line ice time in scoring roles elsewhere...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Poner indicated they’re looking to get a deal done “by the end of August,” which would indicate “whether Edmonton really wants him or not.”
The first is that the organisation wants to resolve their search for a new permanent general manager, before entering into any contract negotiations -- whether this be with Drasaitl or anyone on the Oilers roster. We've already indicated we believe it should be CEO Jeff Jackson, who has done extremely well in the role on an interim basis; regardless, it makes sense to have the position filled before proceeding with anything else.

The second factor is the Oilers' salary cap position. Although we're not talking about next season's which, as per Cap Friendly, is currently projected to have a cap space of -$354,167 but does already include the final year of Draisaitl's present deal.

No, we're talking about the 2025-26 campaign, which is currently projected to have a cap space of $29,612,500. This may sound like a decent amount, but bear in mind this only accounts for 14 players on the Oilers roster out of a possible 23.

Let's hope the next guy botches this and Yzerman/Crew scoop him up in August. Seems like then we'll know more about how the Draisaitl story will go. I don't think he hits the ice without a new deal in Edmonton (or anywhere else). Two teams that have been whispered besides the Red Wings as good odds favorites are the San Jose Sharks, and Boston Bruins. I think Red Wings can out match both if it comes to that, money/taxes even "MIGHT" favor DET slightly if money is a thing(doubt it). I think it'd be tough if Tampa/Dallas/NYR really wanted him, they've got some nice things besides picks to trade. Real players, prospects, picks.

* One thing I find oddly coincidental is how long our own RFA's are taking to play out, specifically Raymond/Seider and the Draisaitl situation... If A Draisaitl trade happened, I'd hope somehow Red Wings could keep Larkin/Seider.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
* One thing I find oddly coincidental is how long our own RFA's are taking to play out, specifically Raymond/Seider and the Draisaitl situation... If A Draisaitl trade happened, I'd hope somehow Red Wings could keep Larkin/Seider.

The cap situation is interesting.

I've been using these estimations all the time:

Seider 8.5M
Raymond 7.0M
Veleno 1.6M
Berggren 1.1M
-----------
Total ~18.2M.

Don't think the Veleno and Berggren caphits can change much. Those are locked on comparables. Raymond can vary most, depending of the term.

Current cap space is 20.04M.
- promoting Edvinsson, instead of Lagesson, will eat 120k of that space.
- Signing all 4 RFAs will eat 18.2M.

That will leave 1.72M in cap space.
Roster is 12+7+4 = full 23-man

You can swap Jack Campbell down, to make it 3 goalies and adding 13th forward with same caphit up. Does not change the numbers.

If nothing happens, in this scenario, it could be that Kane bonuses will partially stay at 2024-25 cap.

But for Draisaitl trade, they need at least:
- Buyout Husso, which will open 3.16M in cap space.
- Trade Määttä in the same package, which will open 2.225M million (Määttä has to be replaced with a warm body like 775k Lagesson.)
- Trade Veleno at same package, which will open ~1.6M of cap space.

Then you have:
- 1.72M remaining cap space
- 3.166 Husso buyout openings
- 2.225M space from Määttä
- 1.6M space from Veleno. (Draisaitl will jump on his roster spot)
------------------
8.711M cap space

= Draisaitl can fit in with his current 8.5M caphit.

I don't know is the trade a possibility, but the cap math can work with that way. You add the picks + prospects etc.

Reactions: Snuggs

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Have watched almost no Nashville games in the past 3 years, so this is super out there.

Read that Nashville may be looking to clear cap and that Fabbro might be the guy they move. He's a RD, 26 and is on a 1 year 2milish contract. Would he be a good partner for Ed? If so what would you give up?

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

Let's hope the next guy botches this and Yzerman/Crew scoop him up in August. Seems like then we'll know more about how the Draisaitl story will go. I don't think he hits the ice without a new deal in Edmonton (or anywhere else). Two teams that have been whispered besides the Red Wings as good odds favorites are the San Jose Sharks, and Boston Bruins. I think Red Wings can out match both if it comes to that, money/taxes even "MIGHT" favor DET slightly if money is a thing(doubt it). I think it'd be tough if Tampa/Dallas/NYR really wanted him, they've got some nice things besides picks to trade. Real players, prospects, picks.

If you're getting Draisaitl... you're not doing so while keeping all three of Larkin, Seider, and Raymond. You're probably losing two of the three.

And you're certainly not sending back Veleno and Maatta in such a deal.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Imaginationland:

Red Wings trade: F (RFA)Lucas Raymond, LHD Simon Edvinsson, G Trey Augustine, 1st round pick in 2025 and 1st round pick in 2026.

Oilers trade: F Leon Draisaitl(7 year 100 million dollar contract, 14million/year, 2 million dollar signing bonus)

Yah? or Nah? Have a collection of Debrincat/Larkin/Seider with Draisaitl longer-term and Tarasanko/Kane become pretty knifty for the short-term. Copp/Compher would have more defensive defined roles.

Defense would be an issue, I have no doubts, but I'm not exactly considering it a team strength now, and long-term I think it can be fixed/dealt with clearing out names like Holl/Petry/Maata for even minor upgrades, possibly within.

Tough to say I'd do something like this, I like Raymond/Edvinsson a lot. It's prolyl what it'll cost though, (or more). Kept a good amount of top prospects though with Danielson/Kasper/ASP/Johansson/Cossa.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Imaginationland:

Yah? or Nah? Have a collection of Debrincat/Larkin/Seider with Draisaitl longer-term and Tarasanko/Kane become pretty knifty for the short-term. Copp/Compher would have more defensive defined roles.

Defense would be an issue, I have no doubts, but I'm not exactly considering it a team strength now, and long-term I think it can be fixed/dealt with clearing out names like Holl/Petry/Maata for even minor upgrades, possibly within.

Tough to say I'd do something like this, I like Raymond/Edvinsson a lot. It's prolyl what it'll cost though, (or more). Kept a good amount of top prospects though with Danielson/Kasper/ASP/Johansson/Cossa.

Dude… no

Reactions: norrisnick

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The good news is, a Draisaitl trade is the most un-Yzerman thing possible so we don't have to worry. Would gut the team of any depth we have now and moving forward before we have even accomplished a playoff berth.
It's two players, and a goalie that's not on the roster for a top 5 player in the league, think the teams depth is there.

Unless you're pissed you can't scout 1st round talent on here for two years.

Either way, it's the most un-Yzerman thing ever, you pull a move like that it could cost you your job if something catastrophic happens. He's got like a 15 year runway with this fanbase as long as he drafts in the 1st round. I mean none of you expect anything next year and you'll reason away a bad season for injuries, etc.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The good news is, a Draisaitl trade is the most un-Yzerman thing possible so we don't have to worry. Would gut the team of any depth we have now and moving forward before we have even accomplished a playoff berth.
It's a gamble either way. All these prospects could end up being role players, fringe NHLers or not make it. With Drai you know 100% what you are getting and is still relatively young...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, Idk if a trade involving Draisaitl is supposed to be painless. Likely not even in consideration here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Draisaitl trade talk is just like Malkin trade talk.

Something that will get discussed a whole lot and never happen.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
It's two players, and a goalie that's not on the roster for a top 5 player in the league, think the teams depth is there.

Unless you're pissed you can't scout 1st round talent on here for two years.

Either way, it's the most un-Yzerman thing ever, you pull a move like that it could cost you your job if something catastrophic happens. He's got like a 15 year runway with this fanbase as long as he drafts in the 1st round. I mean none of you expect anything next year and you'll reason away a bad season for injuries, etc.

It's like the Kessel trade to me.. Detroit gives up more (assets) for a better player (Draisaitl) but it's a trade a team that hasn't accomplished anything yet should avoid. Don't give up home grown talent and future firsts before you even make a playoff round.

As for expectations, I think a playoff berth is a realistic goal for most fans this year. Always the possibility the Sens, Sabres and Devils hop over us after failing to meet their higher expectations the last few years. Lots can happen even if we improve but I personally see the team being as being a more rounded group and should continue it's trend of improving points and win totals.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Draisaitl is a really fun player but his defensive lapses (being very generous here) aren’t worth the kind of damage it would take to acquire him via trade IMO

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Imaginationland:

I don't think Draisaitl puts us over the hump. Also, I think it's an overpayment. I think we're seeing Raymond evolve into a top wing where 90+ points isn't out of the question. And Edvinsson could be a top pair level D. I'd rather bank on them continuing to develop and fill around them than deal them for Draisaitl.

Augustine and the picks, don't care about. Deal them easily.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Imaginationland:

A Drai trade is really tricky because you have to try and assess how good he'll be without McDavid. You are going to pay for McDavid numbers because any deal for Drai is going to come with an extension. Not only that but you are likely look at an 8 year deal that will take him until he is 38.

Maybe you luck out and he has a Crosby like twilight for those last 5 seasons or maybe he ages more like Malkin.

Either way you are probably looking at a 12 mil+ cap hit and possibly 4-5 more prime time seasons. I think you have to ask if said deal would make us an instant contender, because you have to maximize out those prime years to make any deal worth it, and I really don't know if it does.

Offensively we'd be pretty good with Larkin and Drai in the middle. DBC should be solid for a few more seasons. This year Kane and Tank would provide solid depth. The defense however would now be atrocious without Ed and our goaltending would not be good enough for a legit cup run or to make up for the depth.

The following season we potentially start to lose the high skill depth of Kane/Tank with them both potentially falling off as older players or leaving in Kane's case. We probably aren't getting much better defensively (have to pray that Aljo hits as a top 4) and an older Talbot is still our goalie. Maybe ASP comes in as a stud dman that year after a really strong SEL year. Good guys coming in for offensive depth in Mazur, Kasper, and probably Danielson but still all rookies. Unless we can make a really good deal to shore up the defense I'd still say this is not a contender.

Year 3 I could see us making strides if one of our young Dmen hit and we add a good vet or two, but now we are possibly leaning on a very young goalie in Cossa. Seider is probably in his prime though so that would help.

This team is being built around cheaper players and depth. I don't know if scrapping that for a 12 mil offensive center is the way to go at this point, because I feel like we'd end up as the worse version of Edm. But this is with the deal above. I'm really adverse to losing Ed because I think it really sets back our defensive timeline and strength.

If we could do Ray, ASP, Danielson, and a 1st. I think that would make more sense. I still don't love it but by keeping Ed I think we have the potential to still have defense as a strength sooner rather than later. Larkin+Drai long term makes Danielson expendable. ASP is a great 3rd dman option but I can handle losing him if we have Ed & Seider anchoring long term. Ray hurts, because I love the player he has become but franchise center will have more of an effect than franchise winger 97/100 times (Prime Kane, Kucherov, and Ovy being the outliers of the past 20ish years).

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yeah, Idk if a trade involving Draisaitl is supposed to be painless. Likely not even in consideration here.
I won't be. We will have to outbid teams. I wouldn't do it because it's too many variables. Contract term and extension etc. I would much rather hope he gets to UFA and drop a brinks truck at his door. At least we will still have our pool. If you think about it, with Copp, Holl and Chairots contract that's more than he would cost. Roughly 13M. I rather give him say $11.5AAV/5 than them that... and the cap is going up.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't think Draisaitl puts us over the hump. Also, I think it's an overpayment. I think we're seeing Raymond evolve into a top wing where 90+ points isn't out of the question. And Edvinsson could be a top pair level D. I'd rather bank on them continuing to develop and fill around them than deal them for Draisaitl.

Augustine and the picks, don't care about. Deal them easily.
That's fair.

Though I think you set the two up for failure with lofty expectations... I only say that because I'm not sure we can even remember the last season a Red Wings player period had 90 points and we've had HOF'ers roll through on Stanley cup winning teams.

* I looked it up, 4 players in the last 30 years... Pavel Datsyuk(twice)/Henrik Zetterberg/Steve Yzerman/Sergie Fedorov. Datsyuk last achieved 90 plus points 15 years ago now. *

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Suddenly making the Wings top-heavy at the expense of solid core pieces is the antithesis of how Yzerman has been building the roster. It's boring, but it won't be too long before Ray and Ed's on ice impact is greater than Drai's. That there is a top tier goalie prospect and two 1sts moving as well just further pushes the trade into the loss category.

We don't have the pieces (near-30 top-line pending UFAs) that Florida, the reigning Pres. Trophy winners, moved for Tkachuck. They traded two older players for a younger player. We, a rebuilding team, would be trading two significantly younger players for an older one. That's doing it all wrong.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Agreed, the only way Draisaitl is coming to Detroit is if he makes it to UFA. A trade wouldn't make sense for the Wings... unless he has his heart set on only playing in Detroit for some reason (German Eurotwins?).

Reactions: SirloinUB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad