How do you feel about Ovechkin breaking Gretzky's record?

Ovi breaking Gretzky's record

• Happy

Votes: 231 79.1%
  • Upset

Votes: 61 20.9%

• Total voters

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yep. Gretzky's career point total is beyond belief. For comparison's sake:

Gretzky's career points: 2,857
Crosby and Ovi's career points combined: 2,934

That's right. Crosby and Ovechkin combined barely have more points than Gretzky had. He retired at 38. Crosby and Ovi are 35 and 37 today, respectively.

Beyond belief.

"Actually, based on era-adjusted points, Gretzky would have about 4 points."

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
You should add Bobby Hull to your comment of Ovi/Mario.

Ovi/Mario/Bobby Hull/Gretzky are clear top 4 in some order.

I've had Ovechkin #1 for a while already, but that's your tier 1. Easily top 4 greatest goal scorers ever.

As for Richard being overrated.....no. for goal scoring hes a legend. Id have him right outside the top 4 - but for playoffs almost for sure #1.

Bossy's best case starts at #6 (after Howe).

The interesting question to me is how high someone like Auston Matthews might rise up the ranks. Pretty sure he's pacing ahead of Ovechkin age for age. He's obviously having a bit of an off year (and injury) - but Ovechkin did too at this age. Higher scoring league moving forward could help Matthews accumulate a ton of goals.

I'd be shocked to see Matthews break into this tier 1 of top 4 goal scorers i mentioned - but he could potentially come close.
How is Hull above Howe? Look into the top knowledgable historians rankings , and none of them include Bobby Hull in the top 4. Top 5 yes. Howe is in every list.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How is Hull above Howe? Look into the top knowledgable historians rankings , and none of them include Bobby Hull in the top 4. Top 5 yes. Howe is in every list.

Overall ranking? Im talking purely goal-scorer here.

Goal scorer - Hull > Howe very easily, and almost any history ranking will agree.

If you mean overall and not just goal scoring, than yes Howe is obviously ahead and top 4 all time

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It always kinda felt weird to me that Gretzky had the goal-scoring record anyway. I know he obviously score a billion goals, but i always sort of associated him as that anticipatory, more of a playmaker sort of guy. As opposed to the absolutely pure, unadulterated "goal scorer" that Ovechkin represents.

His ability to score goals is truly historic. It's also just hilarious when you think about how many of them have been scored on the PP with him literally just standing in one spot waiting for the puck. He's what happens when you give Brett Hull some insane size + speed, to allow him to also just bull his way into goals, in addition to all the other goal-scoring.

There's also a real joy, or passion for the game with OV that few other players can rival over that sort of time span. The way he's sustained that is pretty special.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Even Gretzky is happy, why would anyone else be upset or have reason to be upset?
Some people genuinely hate the guy because he is a huge Putin supporter. I don’t blame them frankly, though I voted the other way.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
It's tainted for me at this point. Ovi was one of my top 5 favourite players and I still respect his achievements on the ice, but I simply can't root for him anymore. I've always seen Russian athlete/celebrity support of Putin as a "toe the company line" situation in the past, but it's quite clear Ovi's support goes well beyond that.
Exactly my thoughts. I know there's a huge "keep politics out of hockey" crowd but I feel like this goes beyond that - especially since Ovi is the one who initially brought his politics into hockey.

Reactions: Dessloch

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So a player that he vastly outscored who played at the same time as him should be considered? Give me a break.

Are you talking about Bossy?

Do you understand what "could have" means?

Bossy and Bure have a significantly higher career era-adjusted GPG than Gretzky but were not considered above because they had to retire early 30's due to injuries.

Gretzky is right up there with the best of the best when it comes to goalscoring, won't argue anybody who prefers Mario/Ovi but rest of the players listed are dubious at best. Stamkos, Esposito etc cmon now.

Now Maurice Richard there you have a overrated goalscorer and player.

Gretzky was around 9-10th with Selanne IIRC

This is purely based on data, era-adjusted G/GP

I'm sorry but several players had a better era-adjusted G/GP than your idol, including Maurice Richard. Hope you'll be ok

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'd like to see the record broken, but I just can't cheer for Ovy, disgusting human being he is
drunk-ovi.gif

Reactions: lawrence

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm positive toward it. I'm confident that Ovechkin is a better goal scorer than Gretzky and considering when he played Ovechkin will have more than earned it.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
It’s great because it puts away the era argument that it was “easy” to do in Gretzky’s day.

Easier sure but not easy.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
On one hand it's pretty cool one of the league's most storied records is within striking distance and will most likely fall. On the other hand... #$@% Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad