How do you feel about Ovechkin breaking Gretzky's record?

Ovi breaking Gretzky's record

• Happy

Votes: 231 79.1%
  • Upset

Votes: 61 20.9%

• Total voters

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I like it. He earned it. He’s an absolutely transcendent goal scorer.

Gretzky owning the goals, assists and points record is cool but at the end of the day he was always known as a playmaker and that legacy isn’t affected by his goal scoring record being broken.

It’s more that “he’s the greatest offensive creator of all time who was so good that he also happened to have the most goals ever.”

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well he hasn't done it yet but if he does then he does, I don't understand anybody being upset over that.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
The record will be held by the actual best goal scorer of all-time, which is cool. I'm sure Wayne himself would tell you he's not even in the top 10 for best pure goal scorers ever, though that's mainly because he's pretty humble. It's also a good thing for the league for a big record like that to fall.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Incredibly pleased because circumstances would have conspired to rob him of the record should he fail to actually break it; my regret is that Adam Oates, two lockouts, and a pandemic, perhaps, prevented him from reaching the unfathomable 1000 goals in a career.

Reactions: TheSanny

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It’s a good sign when records like this are broken. It means skill, physical capacities, and performance are all still improving. This should be a good thing for hockey and for sports performance.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pretty neutral. Ovi surpassed Gretzky in era-adjusted goalscoring long ago and is universally revered as the greatest goalscorer of all time.

Yeah, Gretzky is not even top-5 when considering eras (which should always be done). All these guys were better IIRC

Ovechkin
Lemieux
Howe
M. Richard
B. Hull x 2
Stamkos
Esposito

Bure and Bossy could have been considered too but we put an asterix since they had to retire at a young age

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Neither of those two poll options.

Yeah, Gretzky is not even top-5 when considering eras (which should always be done). All these guys were better IIRC

Ovechkin
Lemieux
Howe
M. Richard
B. Hull x 2
Stamkos
Esposito

Bure and Bossy could have been considered too but we put an asterix since they had to retire at a young age

So a player that he vastly outscored who played at the same time as him should be considered? Give me a break.

Gretzky is right up there with the best of the best when it comes to goalscoring, won't argue anybody who prefers Mario/Ovi but rest of the players listed are dubious at best. Stamkos, Esposito etc cmon now.

Now Maurice Richard there you have a overrated goalscorer and player.

Reactions: Voight

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Incredibly pleased because circumstances would have conspired to rob him of the record should he fail to actually break it; my regret is that Adam Oates, two lockouts, and a pandemic, perhaps, prevented him from reaching the unfathomable 1000 goals in a career.

I believe he's said before that a lot of the extra downtime helped him fully recover from the injuries that build up for a guy as physical as he is. I do agree that he'd probably have more goals than he does now, but it's hard to tell by how much if what he said is true and did have a big impact on his play.

Reactions: COHawk

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Neither of those two poll options.

So a player that he vastly outscored who played at the same time as him should be considered? Give me a break.

Gretzky is right up there with the best of the best when it comes to goalscoring, won't argue anybody who prefers Mario/Ovi but rest of the players listed are dubious at best. Stamkos, Esposito etc cmon now.

Now Maurice Richard there you have a overrated goalscorer and player.
You lost me with that last sentence.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad