Houston vs Quebec City

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Next expansion team

• Houston

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Quebec City

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
Where should the NHL expand to next?

I go with Houston: More people, better economy, less taxes, and its another team in the best state in the USA, Texas. Texas, for its size and scope, deserves 2 NHL teams. The NHL wins in every category with Houston over QC.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's kinda crazy Houston doesn't have a team. It's the 4th largest city in the US, with a large population of relocated western Canadians due to the energy industry.

A team would do very well there.

Reactions: Mirka the Turka

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Quebec deserves it but Houston will get it before them. The Nords fans will have to wait most likely for a relocation as they need teams for the western conference before adding more in east.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Wherever the people offering a billion dollars in bribes expansion fees want a team.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Quebec deserves it but Houston will get it before them. The Nords fans will have to wait most likely for a relocation as they need teams for the western conference before adding more in east.
Besides just "waiting" and "hoping", Quebec hasn't really done anything to be "deserving". The economy isn't that great. It's not as desirable a city to live in as other cities in the league, which will make it hard to attract and retain talented players to stay competitive. Attendance will go down drastically if the team starts struggling for a few years. It would end up being the 2nd smallest market, only beating Winnipeg. Good luck finding anyone willing to drop the $1B+ to acquire a team too. I wouldn't be surprised if this required governmental subsidies for it to happen, and nobody will want their taxes into that.

There are far better options out there for relocation and expansion.

Reactions: Mirka the Turka

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Logic dictates Houston, emotion dictates Quebec City. As a modern man who is in touch with his emotions, I say "bonjour le Quebec!" and "what the hell is a couche-tard?"

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I would like it to be Quebec City but I think it's a foregone conclusion it will be Houston

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This is a pretty cool concept. Houston is a no-brainer to me if we are talking 34 or some future relocation. Both Houston and QC would be on my wishlist for a 36-team league.

Houston Aeros - NHL Brand Concept

5zvoS3s.png

jknjy1W.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Where should the NHL expand to next?

I go with Houston: More people, better economy, less taxes, and its another team in the best state in the USA, Texas. Texas, for its size and scope, deserves 2 NHL teams. The NHL wins in every category with Houston over QC.
Houston issue right now is the NBA owner Fertitta as he holds the arena management agreement with the Toyota Center. No other NHL team is the tenant to an NBA controlled arena. Nashville is a tenant to the city/county run Bridgestone Arena for example.
So, he has to agree to pay the price the NHL wants for a team. He's been public in the past about his opinions that NHL clubs are overvalued (esp. in the south).

Someone else has to come in and look to build another arena in a different county. Question is whether there is a location and county that makes sense to do that. So, we wait.

We know the NHL wants back in ATL, AZ, and into HOU. 4th and final spot is open. But, does QC have enough corporate support as we saw Win's corporate support fall off drastically post Covid. Regular fans can only buy so many tickets. Need the corps to step up all the time.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
There will be no Canadian Expansion for as long as the value of the Canadian dollar is, compared to the US. This could be years, could be decades, even longer ? The low Canadian dollar is the main reason, simply put. The other reason is the "smaller population centers" in those Canadian cities cannot sustain an NHL franchise over a span of years.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I voted Quebec City out of spite, purely based on the kind of annoying tone of the original question.

I think this is a more complicated question than the poll is likely to represent though. Quebec City is arguably the more stable and "deserving" hockey market. But from the NHL perspective...it has very negligible upside. That market is already being served and engaged in hockey watching by existing franchises. It's also a puny TV market that would have next to no impact on the all important TV deals.

Houston is dumb as a "hockey market"...but it's an enormous TV market, rapidly growing and huge as an actual population base with shifting demographics, and it represents a huge amount of almost "pure upside" in terms of generating actually new or novel revenue streams. Which is what the NHL actually cares about.

But that's where it comes down to a more complicated question of...which is better For the NHL vs which is the Better/More Deserving Hockey Market.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad