TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Assuming Sunfyre is dead, they have Vhagar, Dreamfyre (Helaena's dragon) and some smaller dragons.

Dreamfyre is probably the fourth largest of the ones that have riders right now, but at least in the book Helaena doesn't ride much.
Aegon survived, so his dragon might be alive too. But probably not in good shape.

Reactions: Romang67

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Greens only have one dragon?

They have two functional dragons with functional riders. Vhager and Aemond obviously and Heleana also has the dragon Dreamfyre. Though Heleana is Heleana so whether she is at all functional to ride a dragon into battle is a fair question.

We don't know if Sunfire is alive but even if it is, probably in rough shape and obviously Aegon is not currently in good enough health to ride a dragon.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Awesome episode all around. Feel for the small folk for sure but in a sadistic way it made the claiming of Vermithor all the more grandiose. Oscar Tully smashed that scene and set Daemon up for the most interesting thing he's had to do all season.

Scenes from next week look outstanding.

It showed he was telling the truth all along. Or at least a version of the truth. He must have Targaryen blood somehow. The blacksmith made it quite clear is mother was related to Viserys and Daemon.

What was interesting was Addam potentially having Targaryen blood on top of Verlaryon blood? Wasn't expecting Corlys to reveal that his line aren't dragonriders. But maybe I'm misrembering something. Wasn't Seasmoke Laenor's dragon? My head hurts. Maybe I misunderstood the line.

Laenor got his dragon riding from his mother, Rhaenys.

Honestly I think the show is at least hinting that you might not need to be a Targ at all to ride a dragon. The dragon just needs to like you since we don't know if Ulf is a Targ bastard or not and who knows how far back you got to go to find some Targ blood in Addam.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Laenor got his dragon riding from his mother, Rhaenys.

Honestly I think the show is at least hinting that you might not need to be a Targ at all to ride a dragon. The dragon just needs to like you since we don't know if Ulf is a Targ bastard or not and who knows how far back you got to go to find some Targ blood in Addam.
I forgot Laenor was Rhaenys' son to be honest x(

I mean I guess we'll never really know if Ulf was telling the truth unless the show tells us explicitly. But in this universe I don't think it's a stretch to think there's Targaryen blood throughout Westeros, however diluted. Would be one thing if the Targaryens only procreated through incest but that's clearly not the case.

But given trends I'd be inclined to believe that Ulf has bastard Targaryen blood some way or another. There's only four "surprise" dragonriders across both shows and three of the four are either implied to have or directly have Targaryen or Velaryon parentage:

Alyn: maybe not Targaryen blood but he's Laenor's half brother

Jon Snow: Rhaegar Targaryen's son

Hugh: Targaryen mother

Ulf: claims to be a bastard brother of Viserys and Daemon for bar clout but gets nervous any time he's in position to actually be "found out" or challenged about it. Maybe true.

Feels like with the first three being a direct Targaryen descendant or a relative of a dragonrider helper the eventual riders. So I'd be inclined to belive Ulf was telling the truth to some degree.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Larys needs to upgrade his spies. Mysaria is running circles around him in King's Landing and she's not even there. Unless he's purposely playing inept.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They have two functional dragons with functional riders. Vhager and Aemond obviously and Heleana also has the dragon Dreamfyre. Though Heleana is Heleana so whether she is at all functional to ride a dragon into battle is a fair question.

We don't know if Sunfire is alive but even if it is, probably in rough shape and obviously Aegon is not currently in good enough health to ride a dragon.
Their younger brother Daeron has been mentioned a few times who also has a dragon, though we don't know how big it even is. I think they mentioned this episode that he was riding it now in support of the Hightowers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Their younger brother Daeron has been mentioned a few times who also has a dragon, though we don't know how big it even is. I think they mentioned this episode that he was riding it now in support of the Hightowers.

Totally forgot about Daeron. So they have two, but he hasn't arrived yet as they mentioned his dragon only just took to wing (pretty sure he is that smaller blue dragon in next week's preview)

Also Black's might be getting another dragon as Rhaena ran off to find the one in the Vale.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I forgot Laenor was Rhaenys' son to be honest x(

I mean I guess we'll never really know if Ulf was telling the truth unless the show tells us explicitly. But in this universe I don't think it's a stretch to think there's Targaryen blood throughout Westeros, however diluted. Would be one thing if the Targaryens only procreated through incest but that's clearly not the case.

But given trends I'd be inclined to believe that Ulf has bastard Targaryen blood some way or another. There's only four "surprise" dragonriders across both shows and three of the four are either implied to have or directly have Targaryen or Velaryon parentage:

Alyn: maybe not Targaryen blood but he's Laenor's half brother

Jon Snow: Rhaegar Targaryen's son

Hugh: Targaryen mother

Ulf: claims to be a bastard brother of Viserys and Daemon for bar clout but gets nervous any time he's in position to actually be "found out" or challenged about it. Maybe true.

Feels like with the first three being a direct Targaryen descendant or a relative of a dragonrider helper the eventual riders. So I'd be inclined to belive Ulf was telling the truth to some degree.
He's not nervous because he's not an actual bastard, it's because he doesn't like conflict. He has gotten by in life solely on having a silver tongue. We saw this when Aegon showed up at the bar after he was talking shit.

The guy is a Targ bastard, but he was born without any dragon eggs between his legs.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's not nervous because he's not an actual bastard, it's because he doesn't like conflict. He has gotten by in life solely on having a silver tongue. We saw this when Aegon showed up at the bar after he was talking shit.

The guy is a Targ bastard, but he was born without any dragon eggs between his legs.
He essentially got caught having to back up his talking. He likely assumed that would never happen, he'd just boast about his parentage to get free drinks and attention, but it backfired when he had to go face down a massive dragon.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Awesome episode all around. Feel for the small folk for sure but in a sadistic way it made the claiming of Vermithor all the more grandiose. Oscar Tully smashed that scene and set Daemon up for the most interesting thing he's had to do all season.

Scenes from next week look outstanding.

It showed he was telling the truth all along. Or at least a version of the truth. He must have Targaryen blood somehow. The blacksmith made it quite clear is mother was related to Viserys and Daemon.

What was interesting was Addam potentially having Targaryen blood on top of Verlaryon blood? Wasn't expecting Corlys to reveal that his line aren't dragonriders. But maybe I'm misrembering something. Wasn't Seasmoke Laenor's dragon? My head hurts. Maybe I misunderstood the line.
Hugh's mother is Saera Targaryen.

Saera was one of Jaehaerys' daughters. She was a psychopath who whored her way into getting several people killed through her, and other's, sexual deviance. Eventually, after much family and political drama, Jaehaery's disowned her. She went onto to become a prolific whore in Lysene.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That was really the only issue I had too, scene was a bit confusing.

Also, there is still another Dragon , some huge wild one that it seems like Deamon kid is trying to find? Did I get that part right?
Maybe it was a dubious bit of family lore that even he wasn't sure about until he stepped in shit.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think he said that because it was like fifth hand knowledge and couldn't be verified

Nah - Larys is turning on Aemond. Aemond made it clear he doesn't respect Larys, so Larys now knows they can't play together. So Larys is going to make sure the actual King returns to power - and they'll be grateful for his effort.

There's a reason why Larys keeps visiting Aegon II and telling him to get stronger eh

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
He also might have some genuine empathy for Aegon, from a narrative standpoint it makes for a better character if he does.

I think he has a little bit of empathy for him, but it's mainly just about his own survival (like usual) IMO.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Nah - Larys is turning on Aemond. Aemond made it clear he doesn't respect Larys, so Larys now knows they can't play together. So Larys is going to make sure the actual King returns to power - and they'll be grateful for his effort.

There's a reason why Larys keeps visiting Aegon II and telling him to get stronger eh
Yeah, that was my takeaway as well

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Yea i thought that was obvious too. He realizes he’s not going to get the respect and power from Aemond.

He already planting seeds in Aegon’s head.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He also might have some genuine empathy for Aegon, from a narrative standpoint it makes for a better character if he does.
Press-X-To-Doubt-Feature-Image.jpg

In the scene with the king he is clearly in a hurry and trying to advance Aegon's recovery time beyond what the Maester recommends. I don't think there's an ounce of empathy there. He just wants to hurry to avoid Aemond taking more drastic action to limit his power and influence.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Feel like one of the bastards will end up turning on Rhaenyra.

Gotta keep it interesting somehow.

Man goin from Joffery/Ramsey/Roose/Tywin etc I can't help but find Aemond so pathetic and kinda embarrassing that he is suppose to be this bad ass menacing villain. Not sure exactly what is missing for him, but it just aint it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Feel like one of the bastards will end up turning on Rhaenyra.

Gotta keep it interesting somehow.

Man goin from Joffery/Ramsey/Roose/Tywin etc I can't help but find Aemond so pathetic and kinda embarrassing that he is suppose to be this bad ass menacing villain. Not sure exactly what is missing for him, but it just aint it.
I disagree...

Before he even had curly hairs, he walked right up to the biggest dragon in the world and said "You're mine now!"

He aligned himself with the Hand of the King, took out 2 of the other side's dragons - including their biggest dragon and most experienced dragonrider - and he managed to cripple his older brother, and seize power for himself

Not bad work for a 16-year old...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad