Speculation: Hossa recapture penalty

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The salary cap and all assorted red tape from it is a joke. They should've simplified it in the last CBA.

A solid cap that doesn't fluctuate would have been a great start.

I think you're missing the point. The players would never have agreed to a fixed cap. As the game grows, so do the $'s available for player salaries. Pretty simple concept that has the NHLPA in affect being partners with the NHL and the PA gets to take advantage from the growth in the game.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's just plain wrong they let these contracts go then enacted the penalties.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Hossa could also die before his contract is up. Maybe he has symptoms like Boogaard and Rypien. Or maybe he does like Chelios and plays until no one wants him anymore. Or maybe he ends up like Pronger.

I think it is reasonable to place some numbers around the impact but to say the Hawks would be better off if he retires now is irresponsible. They may be better off from a cap hit standpoint for the recapture but are they going to be better off from an on ice perspective? Those two nee to be weighed and who even knows what conversation have been had with Hossa.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012

I don't think you'll find anyone on this particular board who disagrees with that.

The Hawks really need Hossa to play through at least 2 of those years that he is only going to make $1 million.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I don't think you'll find anyone on this particular board who disagrees with that.

The Hawks really need Hossa to play through at least 2 of those years that he is only going to make $1 million.

Well year 1 of the $1 million years is an Olympic year. So if the NHL stays a part of the Olympics then Hossa would have Team Slovakia keeping him playing for that first $1 million year at least.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The Hawks and Hossa could both agree to terminate his contract when he wants to retire. He'd have to pass through $125 unconditional waivers and a team would be eligible to claim him, but he could then simply not report and stay in Slovakia.

Not sure how that would work with recapture, but seems like a potential way around it.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The Hawks and Hossa could both agree to terminate his contract when he wants to retire. He'd have to pass through $125 unconditional waivers and a team would be eligible to claim him, but he could then simply not report and stay in Slovakia.

Not sure how that would work with recapture, but seems like a potential way around it.

I don't think it works like that. When Kovalchuk went back to Russia, NJD terminated his contract and they've got a recapture sitting against their cap for something like 10 years.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't think it works like that. When Kovalchuk went back to Russia, NJD terminated his contract and they've got a recapture sitting against their cap for something like 10 years.

Didn't Kovalchuk officially retire from the NHL? I don't believe he was on unconditional waivers.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Retiring isn't scrapping the contact. It's the player choosing not to play it out, and forfeiting the money remaining on said contract.

$125 unconditional waivers is the player and the team choosing to terminate the contract mutually, for whatever reason.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Devils are on the hook for $250k a year until 2025.

I don't get what this 'terminate the contract' stuff has to do with anything. NJ just got lucky enough that he retired earlier enough in the deal that they could stretch the cap hit over 11 years. With Hossa they wouldn't have that option, as the years remaining are way less.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Devils are on the hook for $250k a year until 2025.

I don't get what this 'terminate the contract' stuff has to do with anything. NJ just got lucky enough that he retired earlier enough in the deal that they could stretch the cap hit over 11 years. With Hossa they wouldn't have that option, as the years remaining are way less.

This is what I was getting at. Hossa's going to hurt us unless he gets "hurt" at the end of his career and stays hurt but doesn't retire. Which I think he will.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
a fixed cap would be terrible for the game in the long run IMO. A lot of foreign players would have less incentive to play in the NHL and eventually I bet there'd be NA players going over to europe to play and make more money.

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
Some day everything I have ever said about Bowman and the Hawks will make sense to everyone. And I can tell you what day that will be. The day we make the big trade and all of the Cups that come after it and because of it or the day he is fired.

delusions of grandeur - a delusion (common in paranoia) that you are much greater and more powerful and influential than you really are
delusion, psychotic belief - (psychology) an erroneous belief that is held in the face of evidence to the contrary
megalomania - a psychological state characterized by delusions of grandeur

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
honestly, the absolute worst case scenario for Hossa is a buyout.... which only happens if we think we might get plunked by the NHL for LTIR fraud. history of head and back injury though, I don't see it being an issue

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
delusions of grandeur - a delusion (common in paranoia) that you are much greater and more powerful and influential than you really are
delusion, psychotic belief - (psychology) an erroneous belief that is held in the face of evidence to the contrary
megalomania - a psychological state characterized by delusions of grandeur

Low level vocabulary lesson; we're all very impressed.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And a further message to his point; if you don't dream for something more, your reality will stay the same.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This isn't Bowman's fault at all, but it is a sobering reality we need to have at the front of our minds when we're talking about roster moves.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

I'll disagree on the general theory. All the "penalty" does is ensure that the amount that the player is paid, is the total amount of cap hit. All of the teams and players who agreed to these contracts assured the NHL that the players expected to play out the entire term of the contract. The "penalty" just guarantees that total cash paid = total cap hit, which isn't really a penalty IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad